Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby keg411 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:38 pm

Reason for edits: Blog guy was baiting me into posting some personal information about my family legal stuff and I didn't feel like getting into an argument.

BTW, I'm about 80% on Camden at this point (sorry ISA! I still <3 everyone in the RU-N thread). I feel like getting out of North Jersey for a while will be good for me and if I really want to go back there, I have connections and going to Camden isn't going to hurt me. Joe Biden and mjs really helped out the past couple of days by providing some QoL questions that I had too :).

Does Camden provide any info to help with the roommate search once you send the deposit?

User avatar
Joe Biden
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:33 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby Joe Biden » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:42 pm

dp73816 wrote:???

This thread has lost its mind today...first Biden wrote a novel (which is much appreciated btw!), and then some guy with an obvious agenda came in, spewing gloom & doom to the tune of NWA's "Straight Outta Compton"; I think the chip on the guys shoulder can be seen from space. And then, there are massive edits all over the place - why?

I miss the days when everyone was actually excited to go to Rutgers (ahemm...three days ago)...damn you US News...


There is no difference between being ranked 60-80 for the purposes of securing a job. Before I went to law school I was obsessed with the rankings. Now that I have actually been through OCI (on campus interviews), I have friends getting jobs, etc. no one cares about the rankings. Unless you are going to a T14, the rankings are irrelevant. If you finish in the top 10% at Rutgers you will have the same opportunities as anyone else. One of Justice Thomas' clerks is an RU-Camden alumni. Our alumni work at every V100 firm in the country. Look up any V100 firm, look at their attorney profiles and you can search for attorneys based on the law school they went to. EVERY V100 has representation from RU-Camden. Our alumni include former governors, CEOs of fortune 500s, partners in the top BigLaw firms in the country, etc. If you graduate from RU-Camden you will have every opportunity in the world to be successful and have your dream job.

I know people in my class who could have transferred to any school in the country after 1L year. I will not give out anymore information, because I don't want to discuss other people's grades, but there were people who could have transferred to HYS and chose to stay at RU-Camden, because with their grades, they have the same opportunities as anyone attending HYS. The reason they stayed is because they will graduate with minimal debt and they love RU-Camden. The faculty is awesome, it is not overly competitive, everyone is friends and it is a community people love.

During orientation Dean Solomon told us that the faculty encourages healthy competition, but they will not tolerate cut throat competition. At some law schools people drive themselves insane because of the competition. At that point, there is nothing fun about law school. Many schools are like that, but RU-Camden is not. At RU-Camden people are willing to help you out, they are willing to help you understand a concept if you are struggling with it, etc. At some schools your fellow classmates will steal Horn books from the library in an attempt to sabotage other students. Stuff like that does not happen here, and you will leave with some of the best friends of your life. You will become as close to your classmates as you are with people you grew up with and family. I don't know anyone who regrets their decision to attend RU-Camden.

I will stick up for Rutgers, because it s a great school and I am grateful I have had the opportunity to go here. I take a lot of pride in my law school, as everyone who attends does. I do not have a regret in the world about where I chose to attend law school.

User avatar
dp73816
Posts: 253
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:54 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby dp73816 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:45 pm

Joe Biden wrote:
dp73816 wrote:???

This thread has lost its mind today...first Biden wrote a novel (which is much appreciated btw!), and then some guy with an obvious agenda came in, spewing gloom & doom to the tune of NWA's "Straight Outta Compton"; I think the chip on the guys shoulder can be seen from space. And then, there are massive edits all over the place - why?

I miss the days when everyone was actually excited to go to Rutgers (ahemm...three days ago)...damn you US News...


The legal market is in the toilet, there is no doubt about it. However, people are still getting jobs. The world has not come to an end. The 150k/year starting jobs are still there, but they are very hard to get. If your goal was to make 150k/year straight out of law school it is still possible, but you better be in the top 5-10% of the class at RU-Camden. For everyone else, there are still jobs. Firms are still hiring. It isn't that there are no jobs, it is that people are not making what they had hoped for. You may have to tough it out in a 50-60k/year job for a few years, but it is not the end of the world. Just be grateful you have the chance to make that, because the entire economy tanked and people without advanced degrees are unemployed.



Lol I planned on making that (or below) the first few years anyways...because you cant buy the experience a clerkship or position as a public defender affords. I'm glad there is a reasonable voice on this website to counter-balance the BS some guy with too much time on his hands spews.

User avatar
JuTMSY4
Posts: 265
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:40 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby JuTMSY4 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:35 pm

keg411 wrote:Reason for edits: Blog guy was baiting me into posting some personal information about my family legal stuff and I didn't feel like getting into an argument.

BTW, I'm about 80% on Camden at this point (sorry ISA! I still <3 everyone in the RU-N thread). I feel like getting out of North Jersey for a while will be good for me and if I really want to go back there, I have connections and going to Camden isn't going to hurt me. Joe Biden and mjs really helped out the past couple of days by providing some QoL questions that I had too :).

Does Camden provide any info to help with the roommate search once you send the deposit?


Mmm, I thought it was in regards to me. Either way, figured it was best.

I'm in the same boat, though I'm waiting on Temple/Money issues.

Jerzeegirl
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:11 am

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby Jerzeegirl » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:45 pm

Keg411- If there's a facebook group, that might be a way to find a roommate. Or on here. I'm sure there are plenty of people in the same boat. Rents are pretty high at the nicer places.
Last edited by Jerzeegirl on Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jasonac21
Posts: 87
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 2:15 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby jasonac21 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:08 pm

I expressed interest in finding a roommate on this board and on the Rutgers - Camden law school discussion board and was contacted by a couple people. The cool thing about these boards and the other is that everyone is pretty like minded, as opposed to say, craigslist.

User avatar
dp73816
Posts: 253
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:54 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby dp73816 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:08 pm

Doing a little soul searching this afternoon guys...would like some input.

I have always been a huge Notre Dame fan; I almost played football there, and had my heart set on attending law school there from soph. year of undergrad onward. I got WL there early (December), and committed myself to trying to gain admission by any means possible. But since that time, Rutgers has been nothing but awesome towards me - a great scholarship, and in-state tuition despite my low LSAT. Today, I reassessed my situation. If ND takes me off the WL, would I actually attend? It would be almost 40k a year, not including fees + living costs. Rutgers, on the other hand, would only cost 10-12k max. In any other economy and employment situation, I would accept an offer from ND without hesitation. But with the debt that I would accrue, it gives me reason to pause with Rutgers offer on the table. Plus, the East Coast seems to be the "place to be" for the jobs these days (as compared to Chicago). What would you do?

I realize this is Rutgers board, but I want to be absolutely sure I'm making the right decision. I think I'm leaning towards Rutgers...but then again, ND has not even offered me anything yet. I guess I just want to be doubly sure that I'm making the right move.

jasonac21
Posts: 87
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 2:15 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby jasonac21 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:29 pm

Does anyone know if you can bring a bike on the PATCO?

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby keg411 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:37 pm

jasonac21 wrote:I expressed interest in finding a roommate on this board and on the Rutgers - Camden law school discussion board and was contacted by a couple people. The cool thing about these boards and the other is that everyone is pretty like minded, as opposed to say, craigslist.


Can you send me a link to the other board? I'm not worried about cost, but I don't like living alone and want to make sure I get a good apt in the Victor.

dp73816 wrote: have always been a huge Notre Dame fan; I almost played football there, and had my heart set on attending law school there from soph. year of undergrad onward. I got WL there early (December), and committed myself to trying to gain admission by any means possible. But since that time, Rutgers has been nothing but awesome towards me - a great scholarship, and in-state tuition despite my low LSAT. Today, I reassessed my situation. If ND takes me off the WL, would I actually attend? It would be almost 40k a year, not including fees + living costs. Rutgers, on the other hand, would only cost 10-12k max. In any other economy and employment situation, I would accept an offer from ND without hesitation. But with the debt that I would accrue, it gives me reason to pause with Rutgers offer on the table. Plus, the East Coast seems to be the "place to be" for the jobs these days (as compared to Chicago). What would you do?.


If you get off the WL at ND, I don't think anyone would fault you for going. Just don't worry about it unless you get off the WL. I have a whole bunch of WL's and apps that I haven't heard from yet. I'll deal with them if the situation occurs where they come through and I'm accepted.

User avatar
kissy
Posts: 215
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:08 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby kissy » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:53 pm

keg411 wrote:Edited.

User avatar
dp73816
Posts: 253
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:54 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby dp73816 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:57 pm

keg411 wrote:
jasonac21 wrote:I expressed interest in finding a roommate on this board and on the Rutgers - Camden law school discussion board and was contacted by a couple people. The cool thing about these boards and the other is that everyone is pretty like minded, as opposed to say, craigslist.


Can you send me a link to the other board? I'm not worried about cost, but I don't like living alone and want to make sure I get a good apt in the Victor.

dp73816 wrote: have always been a huge Notre Dame fan; I almost played football there, and had my heart set on attending law school there from soph. year of undergrad onward. I got WL there early (December), and committed myself to trying to gain admission by any means possible. But since that time, Rutgers has been nothing but awesome towards me - a great scholarship, and in-state tuition despite my low LSAT. Today, I reassessed my situation. If ND takes me off the WL, would I actually attend? It would be almost 40k a year, not including fees + living costs. Rutgers, on the other hand, would only cost 10-12k max. In any other economy and employment situation, I would accept an offer from ND without hesitation. But with the debt that I would accrue, it gives me reason to pause with Rutgers offer on the table. Plus, the East Coast seems to be the "place to be" for the jobs these days (as compared to Chicago). What would you do?.


If you get off the WL at ND, I don't think anyone would fault you for going. Just don't worry about it unless you get off the WL. I have a whole bunch of WL's and apps that I haven't heard from yet. I'll deal with them if the situation occurs where they come through and I'm accepted.



I probably should be that calm about it...but Im an excessive planner, so "what if's..." scare me haha.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby keg411 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:44 pm

I'm a "planner" too. But this is they type of case, where you just have to see what happens because you have no control of the outcome. And even if you decided one way or the other, you may have a different feeling in the event that it actually happens.

jasonac21
Posts: 87
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 2:15 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby jasonac21 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:18 pm

https://camlaw.rutgers.edu/webapps/pathways/index.php

Login then click on "Admitted Student Discussion Board"

Then you'll see a housing board.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby keg411 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:19 pm

jasonac21 wrote:https://camlaw.rutgers.edu/webapps/pathways/index.php

Login then click on "Admitted Student Discussion Board"

Then you'll see a housing board.


Thanks!

lawschoolblows
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:12 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby lawschoolblows » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:15 am

Hey look, even your dean admits law school ain't such a hot idea:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =121274655

Hilarious! 4 years of college, 3 years of law school, the bar'zam hazing ritual- all for the chance to compete with one another to work for FREE! Note that only 60 of the 100 volunteers even got hired! One poor schmuck is driving 2+ hours each way to work for nothing and live with your parents as an "adult child." Welcome to reality, kids. The demand for non Top 14/biglaw entry level lawyers is essentially zero, and gets exponentially worse each year.

Be aware that this hiring freeze is also in effect for most NJ county legal aid services and DA offices. This is why small firms are now paying $12 an hour. They can essentially offer state minimum wage and still get 100+ resumes. That's how truly glutted the legal market is.

You're making a mistake that you'll likely regret for a lifetime. For most, a law degree is utterly and totally worthless and the poorest "investment" one could possibly make.

User avatar
dp73816
Posts: 253
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:54 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby dp73816 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:21 am

lawschoolblows wrote:Hey look, even your dean admits law school ain't such a hot idea:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =121274655

Hilarious! 4 years of college, 3 years of law school, the bar'zam hazing ritual- all for the chance to compete with one another to work for FREE! Note that only 60 of the 100 volunteers even got hired! One poor schmuck is driving 2+ hours each way to work for nothing and live with your parents as an "adult child." Welcome to reality, kids. The demand for non Top 14/biglaw entry level lawyers is essentially zero, and gets exponentially worse each year.

Be aware that this hiring freeze is also in effect for most NJ county legal aid services and DA offices. This is why small firms are now paying $12 an hour. They can essentially offer state minimum wage and still get 100+ resumes. That's how truly glutted the legal market is.

You're making a mistake that you'll likely regret for a lifetime. For most, a law degree is utterly and totally worthless and the poorest "investment" one could possibly make.



Ya...that's what a recession does to an economy...it shrinks. But the cool thing about them is that they dont last forever. Now, on to the next point of contention you dig up with your seemingly endless amount of free time...

But seriously, your preaching is getting old. We all get your point, but it doesnt mean anyone is going to agree with it. Knowing many attorneys and having a few in the family, I know that you are only speaking, at most, half of the story.

grbueno
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:14 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby grbueno » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:35 am

What's the other half of the story though? Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely in for the long haul. However, I've heard so many nightmare stories about just how poor job prospects are for lawyers nowadays that I have to admit I'm a bit spooked. If there's a kinder, gentler aspect to the reality (or a realistic glimmer of hope), I'd sure like to hear about it.

Alwaysmile618
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby Alwaysmile618 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:57 am

Hilarious! 4 years of college, 3 years of law school, the bar'zam hazing ritual- all for the chance to compete with one another to work for FREE! Note that only 60 of the 100 volunteers even got hired! One poor schmuck is driving 2+ hours each way to work for nothing and live with your parents as an "adult child." Welcome to reality, kids. The demand for non Top 14/biglaw entry level lawyers is essentially zero, and gets exponentially worse each year.

Be aware that this hiring freeze is also in effect for most NJ county legal aid services and DA offices. This is why small firms are now paying $12 an hour. They can essentially offer state minimum wage and still get 100+ resumes. That's how truly glutted the legal market is.

You're making a mistake that you'll likely regret for a lifetime. For most, a law degree is utterly and totally worthless and the poorest "investment" one could possibly make.


Worthless and poorest "investment"? Investing in a Subprime Mortgage loan was a poor investment.

Spending time to read your senseless post is a poor investment of my time.

Doing the things that we want to do and becoming a lawyer to fulfill a calling in our lives? A choice that is not regrettable.

See, people like you as well as MANY far-sighted kids on TLS forums only see life in two terms 1. Worth money 2. Not worth money

I am truly sorry that you are not employed, but take this advise from a former stock broker from Charles Schwab who left his former job to pursue his career at something that he is passionate about. "Economy will get better, and it already is showing signs of bullish market run."

Just may be, some people don't think of everything as in terms of money like you do.
Did you ever try to help out a child who just simply made a mistake and desperately needed legal aid but only help that she could afford was a poor excuse of a lawyer that was assigned by the court? I don't think so, and I made a promise to that child that when I get my degree and license that I would in best of my abilities use my life to help out those in need such as that child.

You may think of our choices to become a lawyer as a poor investment but it is a poor investment that I am proud to have made.

I sure hate the neighborhood of Rutgers-Camden, but I am proud to have sent in my deposit for a seat at this school. (I might change my mind if I get into U. Pitt though~)

I can only see you as this poor emo child who is just desperate to either promote your blog or receive some attention from poor young children with weak hearts. Great job, you scared a child above my post, now go away and enjoy your unemployed life.

PS Thank you Joe Biden for all the great info, it is awesome to see a current student care for incoming students.

User avatar
dp73816
Posts: 253
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:54 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby dp73816 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:13 am

grbueno wrote:What's the other half of the story though? Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely in for the long haul. However, I've heard so many nightmare stories about just how poor job prospects are for lawyers nowadays that I have to admit I'm a bit spooked. If there's a kinder, gentler aspect to the reality (or a realistic glimmer of hope), I'd sure like to hear about it.



...the other half of the story is that those people the source mentioned were most likely unwilling to move/go outside a certain zone for their career. They mentioned a guy with a child that already had another job; does that describe you? If so, be a little worried. If not, don't. Once again, the economy will recover (like it always does) and things will be fine. Even if you're a royal screw-up, if you expand your horizons outside the typical job market, there are a plethora of opportunities available. Just type in "alternative legal careers": with that amount of education, and a little planning, no one should be "out on the streets," as this guy advises we will all be.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby keg411 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:53 am

If you read the article, it sounds like the Attorney General's office issue is because they can't AFFORD attorneys right now because of the recession - not that they don't NEED them. Sounds like everyone is overworked. It's a recession. We all know this. We all understand this. Most people in this thread are going to RU-C precisely because we have decided we don't want to go deep in debt for a legal education (it is not expensive and public; my debt load will likely be around 50k and according to the debt calculators, that's about $500/month which is affordable even on my current salary).

Even as someone with connections, I'm as terrified as the next person. The blogs have been enough to send me running from higher ranked privates/publics that would put me in $100k+ debt. Worst case scenario, I move back in with my parents at 31 and beg everyone I know to get me a job. I dunno, as someone who has been in a ~30k job (that started at about 14k; plus I had undergrad debt) for 5 years, I've been able to make fine for myself so far. And if I need to do the same out of Law School, I will. But if I sit here worrying about that now, I'm going to give myself a heart attack.

I think what some people forget is that life isn't that glamorous on the "other side". Like basic BA jobs are just going to pay 50k to anyone. I know engineering graduates (a supposed in-demand field where anyone can walk into a 60k/year job) who are doing test prep because they can't get a job. I know BME's doing low level clinical work. The economy has hurt everyone, not just the legal sector.

In short tl;dr.

User avatar
JuTMSY4
Posts: 265
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:40 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby JuTMSY4 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:58 am

If anyone's interested in pooling ideas/matching roommates, feel free to shoot me a PM. I've been talking to GoodtobetheKing about it and we're still considering ideas. I personally might take the advice of some of the current students and look into The Victor for at least my first year.

Maybe we could just start a FB group?

Jerzeegirl
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:11 am

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby Jerzeegirl » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:17 am

lawschoolblows wrote:Hey look, even your dean admits law school ain't such a hot idea:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =121274655

Hilarious! 4 years of college, 3 years of law school, the bar'zam hazing ritual- all for the chance to compete with one another to work for FREE! Note that only 60 of the 100 volunteers even got hired! One poor schmuck is driving 2+ hours each way to work for nothing and live with your parents as an "adult child." Welcome to reality, kids. The demand for non Top 14/biglaw entry level lawyers is essentially zero, and gets exponentially worse each year.

Be aware that this hiring freeze is also in effect for most NJ county legal aid services and DA offices. This is why small firms are now paying $12 an hour. They can essentially offer state minimum wage and still get 100+ resumes. That's how truly glutted the legal market is.

You're making a mistake that you'll likely regret for a lifetime. For most, a law degree is utterly and totally worthless and the poorest "investment" one could possibly make.


Out of curiousity, why are you posting this crap here? For one thing, RU-C isn't so expensive that the debt will be crippling or life changing.
Last edited by Jerzeegirl on Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
kissy
Posts: 215
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:08 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby kissy » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:26 am

he's just pissed off because he went to SHU and works part-time at McDonald's

jasonac21
Posts: 87
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 2:15 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby jasonac21 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:37 am

JuTMSY4 wrote:If anyone's interested in pooling ideas/matching roommates, feel free to shoot me a PM. I've been talking to GoodtobetheKing about it and we're still considering ideas. I personally might take the advice of some of the current students and look into The Victor for at least my first year.

Maybe we could just start a FB group?


Another member of this board and I are planning on living in the Victor. It'd be cool to have more people from TLS live there as well. A facebook group wouldn't be a bad idea...

User avatar
kissy
Posts: 215
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:08 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby kissy » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:46 am

i keep looking for a FB group, but i'm not man enough to start one :lol:








on the other hand, i have a friend who is a 2L and he lives in the Victor. he gives it rave reviews and laughed at me when i told him i filled out my on-campus housing contract. the Victor is the way to go!!!!!!!!!!! i will definitely be living there during my 2L. there's even a pub downstairs!




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest