Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
mjs1187
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:48 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby mjs1187 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:57 pm

If you guys have anymore questions about the school, camden or anything else - feel free to gchat or email me at Audi1187@gmail.com.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby keg411 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:06 pm

mjs1187 wrote:
dp73816 wrote:To me, the rankings dont mean shit; its all about what you want to do with your degree. I've heard from plenty of attorney's that after your first job, where you went to school is meaningless. They all say to find the balance between the least amount of debt and the best school. This damn rat-race and "oh my god, we fell three points" is senseless. If a school is consistently within the t-100 (as Rutgers-C is), why worry?


From talking with a couple of professors about the rankings - while scooping up my LORs for potentially transferring (which I'm 99% not) - Camden's poor performance is caused by the bar passage rate. They say "if you pass the bar you have a job." I furthered inquired into why the passage rate is so low, but it remains a mystery and apparently the school is performing studies to get to the root of the issue.


I figured that was part of it when I saw that the bar passage rate was so low (which probably lead to Employment@Graduation #'s being so low). I should have had an inkling when I saw that post in the SBA blog several weeks back over "concern" about the bar. Is there any chance it's a C&F thing and Camden is admitting people who can't "pass"? Or is it failure at the test itself?

But thanks for getting the info!

User avatar
GoodToBeTheKing
Posts: 296
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:34 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby GoodToBeTheKing » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:27 pm

I am not too worried about the ranking of Camden, however San Diego's jump in ranking makes me really want to get off their wait list. I think that if I don't get off their wait list I will go to Rutgers. I have been wishy washy about this whole should I go to the east coast and leave Cali behind for 3 years, but I really think I would enjoy pulling the band aid off and just doing it. Not like it is a bad thing, RU-C is a great school, and I know that I will be happy there.



Oh, and I think that all of us in this thread should have a party first week of August haha! We could all wear white shirts and pen our screen names on the shirts, pre party at someone's place and head out to the bars in Philly. Oh man, I have officially turned into a nerd. haha

User avatar
kissy
Posts: 215
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:08 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby kissy » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:46 am

Image

User avatar
ellebee
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:46 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby ellebee » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:03 am

Hi everyone!!!

I've been MIA from TLS for about a year because reading up on it just stressed me out when I was applying.

Anyway, I think I'll be going to Camden this summer (Contracts 3). I'm placing my deposit tomorrow. :D

Do you guys know if summer students are immediately disqualified from attending other law schools if offered acceptance from waitlists? Would this mean we're not entering law students starting summer school day 1? I'm on a few waitlists so this thought is hovering over me.

BTW I attended Dean's Day and took a lot of random pics, so if you guys want to see some just let me know.

roecyris
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:18 am

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby roecyris » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:57 am

ellebee wrote:Hi everyone!!!

I've been MIA from TLS for about a year because reading up on it just stressed me out when I was applying.

Anyway, I think I'll be going to Camden this summer (Contracts 3). I'm placing my deposit tomorrow. :D

Do you guys know if summer students are immediately disqualified from attending other law schools if offered acceptance from waitlists? Would this mean we're not entering law students starting summer school day 1? I'm on a few waitlists so this thought is hovering over me.

BTW I attended Dean's Day and took a lot of random pics, so if you guys want to see some just let me know.


Your one of the lucky blokes in the contracts 3 class, eh? After reading a bit about the prof for that section I really wanted it, but I'm stuck with the second section. I've only heard unpleasant things about the 2nd section prof, but I've got fingers crossed. Do you know when we'll know what books we need?

User avatar
Joe Biden
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:33 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby Joe Biden » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:41 am

keg411 wrote:
mjs1187 wrote:
dp73816 wrote:To me, the rankings dont mean shit; its all about what you want to do with your degree. I've heard from plenty of attorney's that after your first job, where you went to school is meaningless. They all say to find the balance between the least amount of debt and the best school. This damn rat-race and "oh my god, we fell three points" is senseless. If a school is consistently within the t-100 (as Rutgers-C is), why worry?


From talking with a couple of professors about the rankings - while scooping up my LORs for potentially transferring (which I'm 99% not) - Camden's poor performance is caused by the bar passage rate. They say "if you pass the bar you have a job." I furthered inquired into why the passage rate is so low, but it remains a mystery and apparently the school is performing studies to get to the root of the issue.


I figured that was part of it when I saw that the bar passage rate was so low (which probably lead to Employment@Graduation #'s being so low). I should have had an inkling when I saw that post in the SBA blog several weeks back over "concern" about the bar. Is there any chance it's a C&F thing and Camden is admitting people who can't "pass"? Or is it failure at the test itself?

But thanks for getting the info!


Rutgers-Camden 2L here. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

The bar passage rate has been a major concern for the faculty. They have taken drastic steps to improve the bar passage rate. My understanding is that C&F is not the issue. Students just had a difficult time with the New Jersey bar. This is something the faculty is addressing, and I am sure there will be a major turnaround in the bar passage rate within the next year or two.

User avatar
Joe Biden
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:33 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby Joe Biden » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:48 am

ellebee wrote:Hi everyone!!!

I've been MIA from TLS for about a year because reading up on it just stressed me out when I was applying.

Anyway, I think I'll be going to Camden this summer (Contracts 3). I'm placing my deposit tomorrow. :D

Do you guys know if summer students are immediately disqualified from attending other law schools if offered acceptance from waitlists? Would this mean we're not entering law students starting summer school day 1? I'm on a few waitlists so this thought is hovering over me.

BTW I attended Dean's Day and took a lot of random pics, so if you guys want to see some just let me know.


I would be interested in seeing those. I was at the admitted students law day working a table for a student organization.

Rutgers is a cool school. If you want to avoid drunken college parties avoid living in the castles. I saw someone mention those. They are not the nicest place to live. Don't get me wrong, they are not terrible, but I would rather live in the dorms. I lived in the dorms my 1L year, and they really are not that bad. Everyone gets in an apartment with other law students. The location is very nice. If you don't live in the dorms then shoot for the Victor.

Camden is a terrible city, but the Waterfront area, where Rutgers is located, is like its own little community. The Waterfront area is very nice. In fact, you don't even know you are in Camden if you are in the Waterfront area. The Waterfront area was part of a major redevelopment. There are restaurants, bars, coffee shops, you name it, all within walking distance. If you want to go shopping you are only a few minutes from the Cherry Hill mall, which includes Macy's, Dillard's, etc. The nice thing about the location of the Camden campus is that the law school is like 50 yards from the Patco. The first stop on the Patco is downtown Philly.

I would definitely recommend living in either the Victor or the dorms as a 1L. The Victor is a very nice building, luxury apartments, 24 hour security, etc. The lofts are pretty cool. It is a bit pricey, but definitely cheaper than center city Philly. If you are from the Northeast the Victor isn't really that expensive, especially for what you get. A lot of students live in the Victor, and it is like its own community. One cool thing is that because everyone lives in the Victor or the dorms, you really bond and get close with other students.

If anyone has any questions feel free to post them here or shoot me a PM! I look forward to meeting you guys and gals this summer. If it is possible, definitely take the jump start. It is a great chance to get ahead a little bit, get to meet some people and figure out what law school is all about. It is nice to be able to take one less class first semester as well. That way, you are settling in, you have one less class to worry about and you can really focus on your other two classes + LAWR.

jasonac21
Posts: 87
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 2:15 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby jasonac21 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:36 am

What are your thoughts on the HaddonView? Any law students live there that you know of?

Queenjane87
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:51 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby Queenjane87 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:40 am

GoodToBeTheKing wrote:Oh, and I think that all of us in this thread should have a party first week of August haha! We could all wear white shirts and pen our screen names on the shirts, pre party at someone's place and head out to the bars in Philly. Oh man, I have officially turned into a nerd. haha


Not sure about the tshirts hahaha, but I do like the idea of getting together for drinks!

I am planning to live in Philly for my 1L yr. Will I be entirely out of the loop because of this?

User avatar
kissy
Posts: 215
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:08 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby kissy » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:40 am

Joe Biden wrote:
ellebee wrote:Hi everyone!!!

I've been MIA from TLS for about a year because reading up on it just stressed me out when I was applying.

Anyway, I think I'll be going to Camden this summer (Contracts 3). I'm placing my deposit tomorrow. :D

Do you guys know if summer students are immediately disqualified from attending other law schools if offered acceptance from waitlists? Would this mean we're not entering law students starting summer school day 1? I'm on a few waitlists so this thought is hovering over me.

BTW I attended Dean's Day and took a lot of random pics, so if you guys want to see some just let me know.


I would be interested in seeing those. I was at the admitted students law day working a table for a student organization.

Rutgers is a cool school. If you want to avoid drunken college parties avoid living in the castles. I saw someone mention those. They are not the nicest place to live. Don't get me wrong, they are not terrible, but I would rather live in the dorms. I lived in the dorms my 1L year, and they really are not that bad. Everyone gets in an apartment with other law students. The location is very nice. If you don't live in the dorms then shoot for the Victor.

Camden is a terrible city, but the Waterfront area, where Rutgers is located, is like its own little community. The Waterfront area is very nice. In fact, you don't even know you are in Camden if you are in the Waterfront area. The Waterfront area was part of a major redevelopment. There are restaurants, bars, coffee shops, you name it, all within walking distance. If you want to go shopping you are only a few minutes from the Cherry Hill mall, which includes Macy's, Dillard's, etc. The nice thing about the location of the Camden campus is that the law school is like 50 yards from the Patco. The first stop on the Patco is downtown Philly.

I would definitely recommend living in either the Victor or the dorms as a 1L. The Victor is a very nice building, luxury apartments, 24 hour security, etc. The lofts are pretty cool. It is a bit pricey, but definitely cheaper than center city Philly. If you are from the Northeast the Victor isn't really that expensive, especially for what you get. A lot of students live in the Victor, and it is like its own community. One cool thing is that because everyone lives in the Victor or the dorms, you really bond and get close with other students.

If anyone has any questions feel free to post them here or shoot me a PM! I look forward to meeting you guys and gals this summer. If it is possible, definitely take the jump start. It is a great chance to get ahead a little bit, get to meet some people and figure out what law school is all about. It is nice to be able to take one less class first semester as well. That way, you are settling in, you have one less class to worry about and you can really focus on your other two classes + LAWR.

hey man [i'm assuming you're male :lol: ]

thanks for taking questions!

did you take part in the jump start program? if so, do you feel that it distanced you from those students who did not? do you know when we find out our grade for the class?

what's your opinion on using supplements for studying/etc. would you recommend waiting until after the first semester of 1L, or waiting for 2L? do you have any you recommend for specific classes?

User avatar
kissy
Posts: 215
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:08 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby kissy » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:41 am

Queenjane87 wrote:
GoodToBeTheKing wrote:Oh, and I think that all of us in this thread should have a party first week of August haha! We could all wear white shirts and pen our screen names on the shirts, pre party at someone's place and head out to the bars in Philly. Oh man, I have officially turned into a nerd. haha


Not sure about the tshirts hahaha, but I do like the idea of getting together for drinks!

I am planning to live in Philly for my 1L yr. Will I be entirely out of the loop because of this?

you officially cannot be our friend in real-life. however, we can remain TLS buddies :P

User avatar
dp73816
Posts: 253
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:54 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby dp73816 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:53 am

kissy wrote:
Queenjane87 wrote:
GoodToBeTheKing wrote:Oh, and I think that all of us in this thread should have a party first week of August haha! We could all wear white shirts and pen our screen names on the shirts, pre party at someone's place and head out to the bars in Philly. Oh man, I have officially turned into a nerd. haha


Not sure about the tshirts hahaha, but I do like the idea of getting together for drinks!

I am planning to live in Philly for my 1L yr. Will I be entirely out of the loop because of this?

you officially cannot be our friend in real-life. however, we can remain TLS buddies :P



Yes - boycott all city-dwellers.

But seriously, Ill be in Haddonfield, while I'm sure there are many out there that will be in the middle (Victor) and out in the city...the PATCO is hopefully going to make things very easy!

User avatar
Joe Biden
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:33 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby Joe Biden » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:54 am

jasonac21 wrote:What are your thoughts on the HaddonView? Any law students live there that you know of?


Haddonview Apartments are off of Cuthbert in Collingswood. They are not really within walking distance of the Patco. Sure, if the weather is nice and you feel like going on a hike you could make it to the Collingswood stop, but that is not very practical in the winter, or if you are running late for class, etc. There are some law students who live there. The nice thing about Haddonview Apartments is that some of the units have been recently remodeled, you are next door to a grocery store, you are right up the street from the Tap House and heat is included in the rent. The downside is that you live by a lot of old people, you are starting to get kind of far from school and the balconies scare me (I could always see myself falling off of them in a drunken stupor).

I really think it is a good idea to live close to campus the first year. There are some students who live in the Collingswood, Westmont, Haddon Heights area. However, those students are kind of spread out. You are not going to have a chance to really get to know your fellow law students well. If you live near school, i.e. the Victor or the dorms, you are going to be very close to school, so going to class, the library, etc. will be very convenient. If you live in the Victor or the dorms you are right next to the new gym, so you can work out, play ball, etc. The Camden Waterfront is actually really beautiful. It is nice to sit outside the Victor Pub and look at the view; it really is awesome. The best part about living in the Victor or the dorms is that you are going to get to know your fellow law students well. You will constantly be surrounded by law students. This is cool because you will get to make friends, but you will also get to know the people in your classes, you will know people for study groups, etc. When you end up out in Collingswood, Westmont, Haddon, etc. you are somewhat isolated.

I know when I started law school they sent out emails stating that students who lived in the dorms did better academically than students who did not. This makes a lot of sense, because when you are constantly around law students are discussing class, you have study groups to join and you are living so close to class and the library there is no excuse to ever miss class or not go to the library.

The nice thing about living in the dorms is that they are furnished. You can eliminate the need to purchase furniture. This probably wouldn't be a deciding factor in your decision, but it is worth noting. The dorms are not that bad. Most of the dorms are remodeled. To my knowledge, all law students ended up in remodeled dorms. There are definitely downsides. For example, you cannot take more than two six packs into your room at a time. So, if you walk through the lobby with two cases security might say something. This is the kind of babying that goes on there. It sucks and that is the biggest downside to the dorms. However, if you are low key, that will never be an issue.

If you live in the dorms you are within walking distance of Friend's Cafe (a little restaurant next to campus. they have really good food, and it is very cheap. it is a hang out for Rutgers students; grad students, undergrad and law students). You are right by the Victor Pub, which has good food and is a hangout for Rutgers students. If you live on campus you are right next to Hanks which is another bar and grill. Two law students currently work as bartenders there, it is a Rutgers hangout. A lot of people who work for the defense contractor in Camden go to Hanks, as well as people from the Courthouse (lawyers, secretaries, etc.), etc. If you live on campus you are right next to the CVS, there is another chain store like that right up the street on Broadway, within walking distance, there a couple of other places to eat, like a gyro, pizza and burger place by the Federal Courthouse. There are two pizza places right next to the campus that are both really good and a Nathan's (fast food). The cafeteria on campus is surprisingly good and constitutes another restaurant. On campus there is a rec room where you can shoot pool and stuff.

Most people move off campus by their second year. I would say a majority of people move to the Victor unless they cannot afford it, in which case they move out to Collingswood, Westmont, etc. If you do that your second year it is not as bad, because you have already met everyone, but I wouldn't recommend it your first year.

User avatar
Joe Biden
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:33 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby Joe Biden » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:55 am

Queenjane87 wrote:
GoodToBeTheKing wrote:Oh, and I think that all of us in this thread should have a party first week of August haha! We could all wear white shirts and pen our screen names on the shirts, pre party at someone's place and head out to the bars in Philly. Oh man, I have officially turned into a nerd. haha


Not sure about the tshirts hahaha, but I do like the idea of getting together for drinks!

I am planning to live in Philly for my 1L yr. Will I be entirely out of the loop because of this?


The rumor is that there is going to be a crackdown on people living out of state, who attempt to receive instate tuition. In the past, this has not been an issue. I do not know for sure this will happen, but there are pretty solid rumors that it will.

User avatar
Joe Biden
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:33 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby Joe Biden » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:58 am

kissy wrote:
Joe Biden wrote:
ellebee wrote:Hi everyone!!!

I've been MIA from TLS for about a year because reading up on it just stressed me out when I was applying.

Anyway, I think I'll be going to Camden this summer (Contracts 3). I'm placing my deposit tomorrow. :D

Do you guys know if summer students are immediately disqualified from attending other law schools if offered acceptance from waitlists? Would this mean we're not entering law students starting summer school day 1? I'm on a few waitlists so this thought is hovering over me.

BTW I attended Dean's Day and took a lot of random pics, so if you guys want to see some just let me know.


I would be interested in seeing those. I was at the admitted students law day working a table for a student organization.

Rutgers is a cool school. If you want to avoid drunken college parties avoid living in the castles. I saw someone mention those. They are not the nicest place to live. Don't get me wrong, they are not terrible, but I would rather live in the dorms. I lived in the dorms my 1L year, and they really are not that bad. Everyone gets in an apartment with other law students. The location is very nice. If you don't live in the dorms then shoot for the Victor.

Camden is a terrible city, but the Waterfront area, where Rutgers is located, is like its own little community. The Waterfront area is very nice. In fact, you don't even know you are in Camden if you are in the Waterfront area. The Waterfront area was part of a major redevelopment. There are restaurants, bars, coffee shops, you name it, all within walking distance. If you want to go shopping you are only a few minutes from the Cherry Hill mall, which includes Macy's, Dillard's, etc. The nice thing about the location of the Camden campus is that the law school is like 50 yards from the Patco. The first stop on the Patco is downtown Philly.

I would definitely recommend living in either the Victor or the dorms as a 1L. The Victor is a very nice building, luxury apartments, 24 hour security, etc. The lofts are pretty cool. It is a bit pricey, but definitely cheaper than center city Philly. If you are from the Northeast the Victor isn't really that expensive, especially for what you get. A lot of students live in the Victor, and it is like its own community. One cool thing is that because everyone lives in the Victor or the dorms, you really bond and get close with other students.

If anyone has any questions feel free to post them here or shoot me a PM! I look forward to meeting you guys and gals this summer. If it is possible, definitely take the jump start. It is a great chance to get ahead a little bit, get to meet some people and figure out what law school is all about. It is nice to be able to take one less class first semester as well. That way, you are settling in, you have one less class to worry about and you can really focus on your other two classes + LAWR.

hey man [i'm assuming you're male :lol: ]

thanks for taking questions!

did you take part in the jump start program? if so, do you feel that it distanced you from those students who did not? do you know when we find out our grade for the class?

what's your opinion on using supplements for studying/etc. would you recommend waiting until after the first semester of 1L, or waiting for 2L? do you have any you recommend for specific classes?


1) You do not choose your 1L classes, so you have time to worry about what classes to take.

2) I did not take part in jump start, but I really wish I would have. You get to meet people right away, plus you get to take one less class first semester. That is a huge advantage.

3) I am a male.

4) Supplements = very important. Make sure you get the right supplements though, there are crappy ones. There are tons of supplements for 1Ls.

jasonac21
Posts: 87
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 2:15 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby jasonac21 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:14 am

Do you feel safe walking to and from the Victor at night? The nice thing about the PATCO is that it's literally a half block away.

Also, how much do utilities usually run? With cable and internet.

User avatar
GoodToBeTheKing
Posts: 296
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:34 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby GoodToBeTheKing » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:42 am

sounds like I will need to be checking out the Victor lofts, although I really do want to live in the suburbs close to the PATCO.. I am checking out HaddonView next Tuesday (most likely I will walk it to see just how far it is). I will have my car with me when I move so maybe I could drive to the station??? I think there is a shuttle from the apartment complex to the PATCO. I could be wrong on this though.



Questions for Biden (haha I feel like I am a journalist at the White House):

1. Which student organizations are you in?

2. Do you recommend reading any supplements before school starts?

3. Are there lots of apt/house parties or is it mainly bars that Rutgers students meet up at for the night?

4. What type of clerkships do students get after school? One of the big selling points for RU-C is their 40% clerkship rate, second only to Yale yadayadayada. That is all great, and I am really impressed, but what type of courts are these clerkships mainly in? e.g. appellate, federal, or traffic court...? Pretty much, I just want to know if the clerkships are of good quality.

User avatar
GoodToBeTheKing
Posts: 296
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:34 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby GoodToBeTheKing » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:04 am

Queenjane87 wrote:
GoodToBeTheKing wrote:Oh, and I think that all of us in this thread should have a party first week of August haha! We could all wear white shirts and pen our screen names on the shirts, pre party at someone's place and head out to the bars in Philly. Oh man, I have officially turned into a nerd. haha


Not sure about the tshirts hahaha, but I do like the idea of getting together for drinks!

I am planning to live in Philly for my 1L yr. Will I be entirely out of the loop because of this?



You are already out of the loop. 8)

Nah, you are not out of the loop, you just gotta take the PATCO over or just meet us at the bars!

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby keg411 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:38 pm

Thanks for the help Joe Biden ( :lol: ). If I choose Camden, this solidifies my choice of the Victor for next year. Would just need to find a roommate. The student life stuff you talked about in your post is really really helpful and is making me more likely to choose Camden :). I AM concerned about the bar passage thing though which is my only hangup at this point. How are the Newark and Seton Hall students able to pass the bar and the Camden students can't???

Also, if you don't want to share you can PM me - what kind of work do you have lined up for this summer? Do your friends have jobs? Or are there a ton of people who are unemployed and struggling?

User avatar
ellebee
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:46 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby ellebee » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:38 pm

Joe Biden wrote:
I would be interested in seeing those. I was at the admitted students law day working a table for a student organization.



I'm at work, so I'll post these pictures up tonight.

I'm pretty happy I got into the 3rd section of Contracts. I was kind of hoping to get some advice from the students that started are few weeks earlier in the other two sections. To be honest, I wanted to get into that canceled Constitutional Law course, so that by fall, I can buy the summer contracts session books :)

I think I'll be staying at the Victor. Does anyone know how much internet service is at the Victor? Is it a monopoly where I only have one internet provider to choose from? No cable TV for me, thank god for Hulu.

jasonac21
Posts: 87
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 2:15 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby jasonac21 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:38 pm

Hulu + Netflix on Xbox ftw.

For internet, I think it's Comcast in the Victor.

User avatar
dp73816
Posts: 253
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:54 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby dp73816 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:08 pm

jasonac21 wrote:Hulu + Netflix on Xbox ftw.

For internet, I think it's Comcast.



I feel like I'm stuck in 2006 - what is this hulu, and how does it replace cable? All I know is Alec Baldwin is an alien, and that's how he rolls...

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby keg411 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:43 pm

jasonac21 wrote:For internet, I think it's Comcast in the Victor.


Does anyone know if you have a choice or if you have to get Comcast?
Fios >>>>>>> Comcast

User avatar
Joe Biden
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:33 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby Joe Biden » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:44 pm

jasonac21 wrote:Do you feel safe walking to and from the Victor at night? The nice thing about the PATCO is that it's literally a half block away.

Also, how much do utilities usually run? With cable and internet.


OK, I am definitely not sexist, but I want throw this out there...

As a male, I feel safe walking from the Patco to the Victor, or the dorms, at any time of the day or night. I don't know any male students who don't. If I were a female, I might want an escort if I were walking around Camden at night. The good news is that Rutgers security or police will give you an escort any time, 24/7. If you ever feel even the slightest bit uncomfortable call for an escort. The police presence is very high, because Rutgers has a ton of cops at the campus. You can't go more than a block, anytime, 24/7 without seeing a Rutgers cop. They spend a lot of time directing trafficking and stuff, but it is nice to know they are around.

You will have people ask you for change around the campus, but it is pretty safe. Use common sense, like you would in ANY city. At night you are better off walking with someone else, however, I have never felt one bit uncomfortable walking from the dorms to the Victor Pub for a beer, walking from the Patco to the library, Victor Pub for a beer, etc. Again, women may want to have an escort, but there is absolutely no reason not to have one. If you call the Rutgers police and ask for an escort you will have one within minutes.

There are parts of Camden that are very bad, but the Waterfront area is not. It is just like any major city. Use the same judgment walking around the campus that you would at any other campus or in any city. There are always escorts available, they show up within minutes if you request one, so if you are uncomfortable just get an escort. The Waterfront area is not dangerous. It is just like any city. I have never felt uncomfortable walking around the Waterfront area.




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest