Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
mjs1187
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:48 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby mjs1187 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:41 am

Queenjane87 wrote:
keg411 wrote:Hey guys, still trying to decide on Camden v. Newark, but since all the Camden activity is in here and not in the other forums, figured I'd come join you guys :) :lol: (looks like I'm the only TLS girl considering RU-C).


I am also a girl :-) Thanks mjs1187 for answering all our questions! Congrats on the summer job as well! I didn't realize about the lack of a ranking system, that is interesting.

How do you feel Camden compares with other Philly schools like nova and temple?

Do a lot of students live in Philly?

Also curious about jumpstart, if you think it is worth it, if you did it/did you regret not doing it?


I've heard from 3Ls that Rutgers Camden places better in Philly than Temple. (Don't quote me on that because I never confirmed that with statistics or anything). We have the advantage of the clerkship opportunities. Moreover, if you get in state tuition (which they give to everyone) then its a lot cheaper as well. Cost of living is cheaper in NJ. That's all I can really say as I never really looked in Temple or Nova.

I know of a couple that live in Philly but most don't to take advantage of in state tuition. Most students live in the Victor.

User avatar
kissy
Posts: 215
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:08 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby kissy » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:09 am

i don't have any questions, but thanks mjs .. this has been helpful!!!

User avatar
GoodToBeTheKing
Posts: 296
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:34 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby GoodToBeTheKing » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:35 am

MJS is a godsend!!! I think all of us have been hoping that a student from Camden joined this thread. Great insight.

1. Were there lots of firms at the OCI? Any from California? What type of firms usually hire from Rutgers? (mid, large, small and what type of law do they practice).

2. What type(s) of law is RU-C's strong point?

3. What other schools did you have as options? Why Camden over them?

And, you said there is no ranking with students but then you said you are top 15%... how does that work?

User avatar
dp73816
Posts: 253
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:54 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby dp73816 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:43 am

GoodToBeTheKing wrote:
And, you said there is no ranking with students but then you said you are top 15%... how does that work?


+1!

User avatar
JuTMSY4
Posts: 265
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:40 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby JuTMSY4 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:47 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_la ... GPA_curves

Scroll down to the RU-C footnote. Moreover, in talking to an alum at the Dean's Law Day (a hiring Partner at a local firm), she suggested that firms can get a read on where you stand based on your GPA. I'm paraphrasing, but basically she said, we can look at your GPA and know...

User avatar
kissy
Posts: 215
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:08 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby kissy » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:49 am

JuTMSY4 wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_law_school_GPA_curves

Scroll down to the RU-C footnote. Moreover, in talking to an alum at the Dean's Law Day (a hiring Partner at a local firm), she suggested that firms can get a read on where you stand based on your GPA. I'm paraphrasing, but basically she said, we can look at your GPA and know...

+1

dean andrews said that both students and employers are obviously aware of the fact that there isn't an actual class rank, but are able to look at your GPA and have an idea of where you stand (compared to other students)

User avatar
GoodToBeTheKing
Posts: 296
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:34 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby GoodToBeTheKing » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:52 am

kissy wrote:
JuTMSY4 wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_law_school_GPA_curves

Scroll down to the RU-C footnote. Moreover, in talking to an alum at the Dean's Law Day (a hiring Partner at a local firm), she suggested that firms can get a read on where you stand based on your GPA. I'm paraphrasing, but basically she said, we can look at your GPA and know...

+1

dean andrews said that both students and employers are obviously aware of the fact that there isn't an actual class rank, but are able to look at your GPA and have an idea of where you stand (compared to other students)



Good to know.

MJS, will you be doing Law Review?

What student groups do you belong to?

User avatar
kissy
Posts: 215
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:08 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby kissy » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:16 pm

aren't you only eligible for LR after 1L?

mjs1187
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:48 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby mjs1187 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:53 pm

GoodToBeTheKing wrote:MJS is a godsend!!! I think all of us have been hoping that a student from Camden joined this thread. Great insight.

1. Were there lots of firms at the OCI? Any from California? What type of firms usually hire from Rutgers? (mid, large, small and what type of law do they practice).

2. What type(s) of law is RU-C's strong point?

3. What other schools did you have as options? Why Camden over them?

And, you said there is no ranking with students but then you said you are top 15%... how does that work?


I haven't done OCI - it's sometime after your 1L spring semester

I think our strong points would be our placement in clerkship positions. Our writing program is ranked 11th in the nation. I know we have really good IP professors - my property professor argued in front of the supreme court (Lastowka).

I could've went to Cardozo, Brooklyn law, Penn, Uconn. I went to rutgers because of the scholarship money. I'm effectively going here for free.

You can figure out your ranking based on the awards you're given.

mjs1187
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:48 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby mjs1187 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:59 pm

GoodToBeTheKing wrote:
kissy wrote:
JuTMSY4 wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_law_school_GPA_curves

Scroll down to the RU-C footnote. Moreover, in talking to an alum at the Dean's Law Day (a hiring Partner at a local firm), she suggested that firms can get a read on where you stand based on your GPA. I'm paraphrasing, but basically she said, we can look at your GPA and know...

+1

dean andrews said that both students and employers are obviously aware of the fact that there isn't an actual class rank, but are able to look at your GPA and have an idea of where you stand (compared to other

MJS, will you be doing Law Review?

What student groups do you belong to?


I'm going to be applying to Law Journal. There is no Law Review at rutgers. There are three journals - Rutgers Law Journal (the best), Public Policy and Law, and Law and Religion. I'm going to apply to all three. You can't grade onto any jounral you have to write on. Basically, once your done with your spring finals you have to write a 'note'. This isn't like any note you could imagine - it's a 25 page argument on a given position. For Journal you're note is 75% and your gpa is 25% in terms of consideration to be admitted.

I'll also be applying to the Hunter Moot court competition.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby keg411 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:32 pm

mjs did you have Prof. Clarke for any classes? My parents had him back in the day when he first started at RU-C and he used to go drinking with the students :lol:. I know they had him for Torts 1L year, but this was back in the 70's so he probably gets to pick his classes now.

mjs1187
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:48 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby mjs1187 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:13 pm

keg411 wrote:mjs did you have Prof. Clarke for any classes? My parents had him back in the day when he first started at RU-C and he used to go drinking with the students :lol:. I know they had him for Torts 1L year, but this was back in the 70's so he probably gets to pick his classes now.


Haha yup I have professor clark now for crim. He's a genius and I hope to do half of what he has done in his life. He runs every Tuesday with us along the Delaware river. If you guys don't know of professor Clark, then I strongly urge you to check out his bio to see the type of professors we have.

User avatar
kissy
Posts: 215
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:08 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby kissy » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:15 pm

mjs is getting me all excited for 1L

mjs1187
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:48 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby mjs1187 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:43 pm

kissy wrote:mjs is getting me all excited for 1L


Haha don't get too excited - Your 1L year is hard, stressful and takes a lot of time and energy.

User avatar
GoodToBeTheKing
Posts: 296
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:34 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby GoodToBeTheKing » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:19 pm

mjs1187 wrote:
kissy wrote:mjs is getting me all excited for 1L


Haha don't get too excited - Your 1L year is hard, stressful and takes a lot of time and energy.



how much time do you put in on average per day on studying? do you think you put in less or more than what others do? Are there a lot of resources available at the school to help with studying? Like lots of old tests, TA's, office hours, etc..

mjs1187
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:48 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby mjs1187 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:00 am

GoodToBeTheKing wrote:
mjs1187 wrote:
kissy wrote:mjs is getting me all excited for 1L


Haha don't get too excited - Your 1L year is hard, stressful and takes a lot of time and energy.



how much time do you put in on average per day on studying? do you think you put in less or more than what others do? Are there a lot of resources available at the school to help with studying? Like lots of old tests, TA's, office hours, etc..


Good question I probably put in about 3 hours after class in the beginning of the year reading and taking notes. However, this changes drastically once you start working on your brief and memo. Even tho LAWR is only 2 credits you spend a lot of tinme researching, going to TA sessions, going to individual meetings, and in the end actually writing. You'll probably be finished with your brief or memo one to two weeks before it's time to start studying for finals. I'm approaching this time shortly as my brief is due Sunday. Then final studying begins. For me last semester my study group and I literally locked ourselves in my apt for 2-3 weeks studying.

The resources are dependent on the professor. For example my contracts professor had TAs, however the other section didn't have this luxury. But all writing professors have TAs to assist with the process.

There is an entire online database of old exams which are extremely helpful for finals.

User avatar
kissy
Posts: 215
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:08 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby kissy » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:36 am

mjs1187 wrote:
GoodToBeTheKing wrote:
mjs1187 wrote:
kissy wrote:mjs is getting me all excited for 1L


Haha don't get too excited - Your 1L year is hard, stressful and takes a lot of time and energy.



how much time do you put in on average per day on studying? do you think you put in less or more than what others do? Are there a lot of resources available at the school to help with studying? Like lots of old tests, TA's, office hours, etc..


Good question I probably put in about 3 hours after class in the beginning of the year reading and taking notes. However, this changes drastically once you start working on your brief and memo. Even tho LAWR is only 2 credits you spend a lot of tinme researching, going to TA sessions, going to individual meetings, and in the end actually writing. You'll probably be finished with your brief or memo one to two weeks before it's time to start studying for finals. I'm approaching this time shortly as my brief is due Sunday. Then final studying begins. For me last semester my study group and I literally locked ourselves in my apt for 2-3 weeks studying.

The resources are dependent on the professor. For example my contracts professor had TAs, however the other section didn't have this luxury. But all writing professors have TAs to assist with the process.

There is an entire online database of old exams which are extremely helpful for finals.


is this a school database?

User avatar
JuTMSY4
Posts: 265
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:40 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby JuTMSY4 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:46 am

Thanks for the info.

Just dropped my deposit in the mail. Unless things change, looks like I'll be here in August.

Besides cost, what else attracted you to RU-C over the Philly options and Cardozo, Brooklyn, etc? I'm sure you could have done Temple or Nova at almost nothing as well...

mjs1187
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:48 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby mjs1187 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:03 am

Good question I probably put in about 3 hours after class in the beginning of the year reading and taking notes. However, this changes drastically once you start working on your brief and memo. Even tho LAWR is only 2 credits you spend a lot of tinme researching, going to TA sessions, going to individual meetings, and in the end actually writing. You'll probably be finished with your brief or memo one to two weeks before it's time to start studying for finals. I'm approaching this time shortly as my brief is due Sunday. Then final studying begins. For me last semester my study group and I literally locked ourselves in my apt for 2-3 weeks studying.

The resources are dependent on the professor. For example my contracts professor had TAs, however the other section didn't have this luxury. But all writing professors have TAs to assist with the process.

There is an entire online database of old exams which are extremely helpful for finals.


is this a school database?[/quote]

Yes

User avatar
kissy
Posts: 215
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:08 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby kissy » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:36 am

mjs1187 wrote:
Good question I probably put in about 3 hours after class in the beginning of the year reading and taking notes. However, this changes drastically once you start working on your brief and memo. Even tho LAWR is only 2 credits you spend a lot of tinme researching, going to TA sessions, going to individual meetings, and in the end actually writing. You'll probably be finished with your brief or memo one to two weeks before it's time to start studying for finals. I'm approaching this time shortly as my brief is due Sunday. Then final studying begins. For me last semester my study group and I literally locked ourselves in my apt for 2-3 weeks studying.

The resources are dependent on the professor. For example my contracts professor had TAs, however the other section didn't have this luxury. But all writing professors have TAs to assist with the process.

There is an entire online database of old exams which are extremely helpful for finals.


is this a school database?

Yes

oh that's nice, i haven't really spent too much time looking at them [because why would i :lol: ], but it certainly seems as if there's a wealth of information available through on-line databases.

on another note, how often would you say you supplement your studying/note-taking/etc. using materials separate from the course ... such as E&E, etc. and would you recommend anything in particular? i've heard from numerous people [both on TLS and in the real world] who have advised waiting until after your first semester, or even until 2L before using supplements.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby keg411 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:29 pm

Sent an e-mail to see if Camden will increase my scholarship. If they can match or exceed RU-N, I will very likely be there in the fall :).

User avatar
kissy
Posts: 215
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:08 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby kissy » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:31 pm

keg411 wrote:Sent an e-mail to see if Camden will increase my scholarship. If they can match or exceed RU-N, I will very likely be there in the fall :).

did you mention that in the e-mail :lol:

User avatar
JuTMSY4
Posts: 265
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:40 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby JuTMSY4 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:01 pm

keg411 wrote:Sent an e-mail to see if Camden will increase my scholarship. If they can match or exceed RU-N, I will very likely be there in the fall :).


Who'd you send it to? I've been waiting almost 2 weeks and I'm in a similar position. They can seal the deal with a nice bump. Regardless, I already sent in my seat deposit but they're nice enough to have a refundable portion.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby keg411 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:30 pm

kissy wrote:
keg411 wrote:Sent an e-mail to see if Camden will increase my scholarship. If they can match or exceed RU-N, I will very likely be there in the fall :).

did you mention that in the e-mail :lol:


Essentially :lol: (though I didn't say it outright; just put very strong wording in there).

Who'd you send it to? I've been waiting almost 2 weeks and I'm in a similar position. They can seal the deal with a nice bump. Regardless, I already sent in my seat deposit but they're nice enough to have a refundable portion.


I sent it to Nancy Rubert. My deposit isn't due until 5/1.

User avatar
JuTMSY4
Posts: 265
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:40 pm

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2013

Postby JuTMSY4 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:32 pm

keg411 wrote:I sent it to Nancy Rubert. My deposit isn't due until 5/1.


Good Idea, I'll send a follow-up to her.




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest