Texas 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
shanejamin
Posts: 79
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:33 pm

Re: Texas 2013

Postby shanejamin » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:21 pm

Catharsis, et al.: regarding scholarships, I called the office. The lady I spoke with said that they'll be sending out information about who the donors are, etc., a little later, and not to worry. This was last week.

User avatar
catharsis
Posts: 401
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:48 am

Re: Texas 2013

Postby catharsis » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:35 pm

shanejamin wrote:Catharsis, et al.: regarding scholarships, I called the office. The lady I spoke with said that they'll be sending out information about who the donors are, etc., a little later, and not to worry. This was last week.


Thank you Shane! :D

User avatar
sternc
Posts: 204
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:07 pm

Re: Texas 2013

Postby sternc » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:28 pm

After spending almost the last year on these boards lurking, learning, and asking questions, I feel like I have a reasonable understanding of what to expect with UT and law school in general next year. By no means do I know it all, but I feel about as prepared as one can be at this point. With that said, I assume most people on TLS share this feeling, but what about the rest of our incoming class? Do you think most 0Ls are as aware as we might have become by reading this website and others (Bitter Lawyer, ATL, Law Shucks) about the current hiring climate, how law school really works, the difficulty in landing BigLAw jobs, the huge risk of taking on debt, etc.? In other words, do you think most of our incoming classmates that are not on these sites are aware of the realities of this economy and the current legal world? A short read at [url]http://abovethelaw.com/2010/06/college-student-exposes-everything-thats-wrong-with-0ls//url] prompted this question.

User avatar
mcflooter06
Posts: 263
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:33 pm

Re: Texas 2013

Postby mcflooter06 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:40 pm

catharsis wrote:
shanejamin wrote:Catharsis, et al.: regarding scholarships, I called the office. The lady I spoke with said that they'll be sending out information about who the donors are, etc., a little later, and not to worry. This was last week.


Thank you Shane! :D



+1

Thanks for the info, shane! :)

User avatar
sternc
Posts: 204
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:07 pm

Re: Texas 2013

Postby sternc » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:17 pm

Where do we send our final undergraduate transcripts?

User avatar
UTaylor526
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:45 am

Re: Texas 2013

Postby UTaylor526 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:14 pm

Sent in my headshot and LOI today. Excited but a little embarrassed that I almost forgot.

Anyone know when we get our classes?

bigred82
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:07 am

Re: Texas 2013

Postby bigred82 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:39 pm

Lol, yeah, I forgot about it as well. Remembered two nights ago about it and got it out of the way.



So lots of talk about car permits and bikes, but I haven't heard much about motorcycles. I'm thinking about getting one. Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't the permits for them only $60 in comparison to $600+ for cars?

User avatar
UTaylor526
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:45 am

Re: Texas 2013

Postby UTaylor526 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:15 pm

bigred82 wrote:Lol, yeah, I forgot about it as well. Remembered two nights ago about it and got it out of the way.



So lots of talk about car permits and bikes, but I haven't heard much about motorcycles. I'm thinking about getting one. Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't the permits for them only $60 in comparison to $600+ for cars?


Ya but two issues

1) Safety. I was all for a bike until a friend showed me the crash rates compared to total ownership.
2) The only bike parking I know of is on 21st street. On the other side of campus from the law school. I could be wrong about this.

Esc
Posts: 724
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:09 pm

Re: Texas 2013

Postby Esc » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:00 am

UTaylor526 wrote:
bigred82 wrote:Lol, yeah, I forgot about it as well. Remembered two nights ago about it and got it out of the way.



So lots of talk about car permits and bikes, but I haven't heard much about motorcycles. I'm thinking about getting one. Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't the permits for them only $60 in comparison to $600+ for cars?


Ya but two issues

1) Safety. I was all for a bike until a friend showed me the crash rates compared to total ownership.
2) The only bike parking I know of is on 21st street. On the other side of campus from the law school. I could be wrong about this.


I'm pretty sure there's a stretch of scooter/cycle parking right by the law school on Medical Arts/Robert Dedman.

1000bmr
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:58 am

Re: Texas 2013

Postby 1000bmr » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:31 am

it appears that there are a few small bits of motorcycle parking south and east of the law school. the closest motorcycle spots i have first hand knowledge of are about five blocks away at the chemical engineering building (10 minute walk?).

http://www.utexas.edu/parking/maps/map.htm

User avatar
entrechatsix
Posts: 229
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:05 am

Re: Texas 2013

Postby entrechatsix » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:12 pm

sternc wrote:Where do we send our final undergraduate transcripts?


...anybody know?

User avatar
UTaylor526
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:45 am

Re: Texas 2013

Postby UTaylor526 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:06 am

entrechatsix wrote:
sternc wrote:Where do we send our final undergraduate transcripts?


...anybody know?


Sorry, if you are a UT undergrad they do it automatically. I believe it is the office of admissions though.

Pearalegal
Posts: 1433
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:50 am

Re: Texas 2013

Postby Pearalegal » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:51 am

Bats!!

shanejamin
Posts: 79
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:33 pm

Re: Texas 2013

Postby shanejamin » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:48 pm

Dudes. I totally leased a place in Austin today. I am honestly actually for real moving to Austin in August and attending the University of Texas School of Law.

I even bought a Texas Law shirt.

Also, a Texas Madre shirt for my mom.

Let's do this.

User avatar
entrechatsix
Posts: 229
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:05 am

Re: Texas 2013

Postby entrechatsix » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:44 am

shanejamin wrote:Dudes. I totally leased a place in Austin today. I am honestly actually for real moving to Austin in August and attending the University of Texas School of Law.

I even bought a Texas Law shirt.

Also, a Texas Madre shirt for my mom.

Let's do this.


yay! congrats

User avatar
catharsis
Posts: 401
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:48 am

Re: Texas 2013

Postby catharsis » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:20 am

shanejamin wrote:Dudes. I totally leased a place in Austin today. I am honestly actually for real moving to Austin in August and attending the University of Texas School of Law.

I even bought a Texas Law shirt.

Also, a Texas Madre shirt for my mom.

Let's do this.


:lol: :lol:

congrats shane!! it's an unbelievable feeling.. sometimes i sit here and pinch myself and still can't believe it..

Pearalegal
Posts: 1433
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:50 am

Re: Texas 2013

Postby Pearalegal » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:30 am

The time they send out confirmation emails will always baffle me.

shanejamin
Posts: 79
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:33 pm

Re: Texas 2013

Postby shanejamin » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:05 pm

So, question: when are you all moving in? I have a tentative move-in date of August 13th. Anyone up for getting together that Saturday/any other day in the following week?

Completely unrelated question: does anyone know when our IDs will start getting us into the Rec? I'm hoping a current UT student will have experience with this.

User avatar
UTaylor526
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:45 am

Re: Texas 2013

Postby UTaylor526 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:31 pm

shanejamin wrote:So, question: when are you all moving in? I have a tentative move-in date of August 13th. Anyone up for getting together that Saturday/any other day in the following week?

Completely unrelated question: does anyone know when our IDs will start getting us into the Rec? I'm hoping a current UT student will have experience with this.


Q1: Move into my new place August 8th and am definitely up for something.
Q2: Sadly I don't think it is until the 20th or something. I think classes start on the 26th and its usually right before then.

User avatar
catharsis
Posts: 401
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:48 am

Re: Texas 2013

Postby catharsis » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:29 pm

shanejamin wrote:So, question: when are you all moving in? I have a tentative move-in date of August 13th. Anyone up for getting together that Saturday/any other day in the following week?

Completely unrelated question: does anyone know when our IDs will start getting us into the Rec? I'm hoping a current UT student will have experience with this.


Im definitely up for something as well! Im moving in July 1st!!!

Pearalegal
Posts: 1433
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:50 am

Re: Texas 2013

Postby Pearalegal » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:33 pm

And I'll be there July 5th!

User avatar
philosoraptor
Posts: 708
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:49 am

Re: Texas 2013

Postby philosoraptor » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:25 pm

Shooting for the weekend of/around Aug. 13, so hopefully I'll be in town.

de5igual
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:52 pm

Re: Texas 2013

Postby de5igual » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:33 pm

getting there july 27th!

User avatar
UTaylor526
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:45 am

Re: Texas 2013

Postby UTaylor526 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:47 pm

Sounds like we have a couple then. Lets do a get together mid-July and then another right before orientation. Anyone opposed?

I mean, we have to have SOME social life before school starts.

User avatar
catharsis
Posts: 401
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:48 am

Re: Texas 2013

Postby catharsis » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:53 pm

UTaylor526 wrote:Sounds like we have a couple then. Lets do a get together mid-July and then another right before orientation. Anyone opposed?

I mean, we have to have SOME social life before school starts.


+ a billion. im down!




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests