Texas 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
JordynAsh

Re: Texas 2013

Postby JordynAsh » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:08 pm

f0bolous wrote:the bat chocolate looks so delicate. i'm afraid to eat it.

Don't be, it's delicious!

adrib

Postby adrib » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:28 am

I was cruisin' the sales page at the co-op website when I saw (and immediately purchased) this beauty:

http://www.universitycoop.com/ePOS/this ... sign=coop3

Spreading the Texas gospel, one of adrib's brother's at a time. ;)

dancinginseptember

Postby dancinginseptember » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:36 pm

hey yall! this is my first post on this thread... and i think i'm almost set on going to UT.

for a long time i thought i'd be going to Georgetown. i still sent in my deposit at UT as i hadn't yet heard from georgetown's financial aid. but the more i think about it and discuss it with others, the more i miss austin + texas, and the harder it is for me to justify the differences in costs between UT and georgetown. UT's in-state is great, and they're giving me a scholarship and some of those tuition grants.

so basically: i'm getting really excited about UT. i've been reading through the posts and it seems like we have a great group here :)

ooh and the chocolate bat came today! haha how cute. i remember doing the town lake bridge + bat viewing as a child.

JordynAsh

Postby JordynAsh » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:39 pm

dancinginseptember wrote:hey yall! this is my first post on this thread... and i think i'm almost set on going to UT.

for a long time i thought i'd be going to Georgetown. i still sent in my deposit at UT as i hadn't yet heard from georgetown's financial aid. but the more i think about it and discuss it with others, the more i miss austin + texas, and the harder it is for me to justify the differences in costs between UT and georgetown. UT's in-state is great, and they're giving me a scholarship and some of those tuition grants.

so basically: i'm getting really excited about UT. i've been reading through the posts and it seems like we have a great group here :)

ooh and the chocolate bat came today! haha how cute. i remember doing the town lake bridge + bat viewing as a child.

Welcome! IMO you've made the right decision ;)

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:48 pm

dancinginseptember wrote:hey yall! this is my first post on this thread... and i think i'm almost set on going to UT.

An excellent choice -- congrats!

mcflooter06

Postby mcflooter06 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:37 pm

philosoraptor wrote:

An excellent choice -- congrats!

I'll have the echo that. I really loved Georgetown, but, like you, I just couldn't justify the cost difference. I'd still love to be in DC next year, but I know I'm going ot love being in Austin much more.

All in all, we're all pretty awesome, and whats better than being in Texas? ;)

(says the girl with the massive sunburn. brutal.)

catharsis

Postby catharsis » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:39 pm

we hope you join us!! we really do have a great group here :D

catharsis

Postby catharsis » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:54 pm

hey guys i think i read somewhere something about accepting financial aid on or before May 1st? i figured the entrance counseling exams or whatever had to be completed but what about the banking information? when i tried to fill it out it said i needed an "upgraded eft" but that would mean either sending in a form which would probably take weeks to process or going up there in person (which i dont have time to do).

i'm going to call the office tomorrow and find out but does anyone have any information about this?

Hook'Em

Postby Hook'Em » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:58 pm

hey fellow ut enthusiasts! as you can tell from my alias, I am an avid ut fan. I'm not from Texas, but I think that UT and Austin are unmatched in many areas. That said, I am still trying to decide if UT Law is the right place for me (yes, I have already sent in my seat deposit).
The UT ASD didn't give me much hope as far as out-of-state biglaw options, and my ultimate goal is biglaw in Cleveland, OH. Can anyone console me...maybe lie to me and tell me that UT has a stronghold on the Cleveland market....I want to attend UT, but I just don't know if it is a great career move given my goals. Any thoughts? Anyone in similar situation?

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:04 pm

Hook'Em wrote:hey fellow ut enthusiasts! as you can tell from my alias, I am an avid ut fan. I'm not from Texas, but I think that UT and Austin are unmatched in many areas. That said, I am still trying to decide if UT Law is the right place for me (yes, I have already sent in my seat deposit).
The UT ASD didn't give me much hope as far as out-of-state biglaw options, and my ultimate goal is biglaw in Cleveland, OH. Can anyone console me...maybe lie to me and tell me that UT has a stronghold on the Cleveland market....I want to attend UT, but I just don't know if it is a great career move given my goals. Any thoughts? Anyone in similar situation?

I think Texas does just fine in the traditional gunner biglaw areas-seems like most who doesn't stay in state head off to DC or NY. This makes sense if you think about it, Texas is a great school with a huge in-state body but also a very solid national reputation. Most who want to leave the state probably want to go into the bigger, more competitive markets.

For a smaller, localized city like Cleveland, I just don't know. It'll probably be more and predominately about connections and being able to demonstrate you actually want to be in Cleveland. You'd probably have to do a lot of legwork on your own, which is in no way a bad thing.

jaxon05

Postby jaxon05 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:22 pm

Hey Texas enthusiasts! Just wanted to let all of you know that I'd be happy to answer any questions that no one else has managed to cover so far on this board - I'm going to be a mentor in the fall for the incoming class and would love the opportunity to help any of you out before getting to school! Just reply or PM me and I'll be happy to talk.

Congrats to all of you who have gotten in! UT is a great place to go to school and has a great balance of academic/social life. You won't regret it.

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:58 pm

catharsis wrote:hey guys i think i read somewhere something about accepting financial aid on or before May 1st? i figured the entrance counseling exams or whatever had to be completed but what about the banking information? when i tried to fill it out it said i needed an "upgraded eft" but that would mean either sending in a form which would probably take weeks to process or going up there in person (which i dont have time to do).

i'm going to call the office tomorrow and find out but does anyone have any information about this?
Let us know what you find out; I need to get on that myself. Does the EFAN really require bank info already? I thought we just needed to tell them what loan amounts we plan on accepting, since they don't get disbursed until closer to the start of the term.

Also FYI, in case it helps anyone: I'm new to this loans thing, but Linda in the financial aid office told me the best strategy is to estimate costs conservatively instead of taking out too much too soon. She says it's easy to increase later if need be (just fwiw).

Applicant2010

Postby Applicant2010 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:15 am

jaxon05 wrote:Hey Texas enthusiasts! Just wanted to let all of you know that I'd be happy to answer any questions that no one else has managed to cover so far on this board - I'm going to be a mentor in the fall for the incoming class and would love the opportunity to help any of you out before getting to school! Just reply or PM me and I'll be happy to talk.

Congrats to all of you who have gotten in! UT is a great place to go to school and has a great balance of academic/social life. You won't regret it.

Thanks for jumping in to take questions. Can you please explain the numbering system of classes (1xx, 2xx, 3xx etc.)? I don't understand how some classes are taken for anything from 1 to 6 lecture hours per week. Is the amount predetermined prior to course registration, or are there really that many offerings? Thanks!

Esc

Postby Esc » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:35 am

Applicant2010 wrote:
jaxon05 wrote:Hey Texas enthusiasts! Just wanted to let all of you know that I'd be happy to answer any questions that no one else has managed to cover so far on this board - I'm going to be a mentor in the fall for the incoming class and would love the opportunity to help any of you out before getting to school! Just reply or PM me and I'll be happy to talk.

Thanks for jumping in to take questions. Can you please explain the numbering system of classes (1xx, 2xx, 3xx etc.)? I don't understand how some classes are taken for anything from 1 to 6 lecture hours per week. Is the amount predetermined prior to course registration, or are there really that many offerings? Thanks!

yes, the first number is the number of credit hours. the 6 credit hour classes are the clinics. all the first year courses are 4 credit hours, except for the first semester small section class, which is 5, and LRW, which for y'all will be 2. you won't have to worry about choosing classes for quite a while

Applicant2010

Postby Applicant2010 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:20 am

Esc wrote:yes, the first number is the number of credit hours. the 6 credit hour classes are the clinics. all the first year courses are 4 credit hours, except for the first semester small section class, which is 5, and LRW, which for y'all will be 2. you won't have to worry about choosing classes for quite a while

Thanks Esc.

UTaylor526

Postby UTaylor526 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:11 pm

Hook'Em wrote:hey fellow ut enthusiasts! as you can tell from my alias, I am an avid ut fan. I'm not from Texas, but I think that UT and Austin are unmatched in many areas. That said, I am still trying to decide if UT Law is the right place for me (yes, I have already sent in my seat deposit).

Maybe tell us why you think so highly of UT and why you want to go to Cleveland?

catharsis

Postby catharsis » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:09 pm

philosoraptor wrote:
catharsis wrote:hey guys i think i read somewhere something about accepting financial aid on or before May 1st? i figured the entrance counseling exams or whatever had to be completed but what about the banking information? when i tried to fill it out it said i needed an "upgraded eft" but that would mean either sending in a form which would probably take weeks to process or going up there in person (which i dont have time to do).

Let us know what you find out; I need to get on that myself. Does the EFAN really require bank info already? I thought we just needed to tell them what loan amounts we plan on accepting, since they don't get disbursed until closer to the start of the term.

Also FYI, in case it helps anyone: I'm new to this loans thing, but Linda in the financial aid office told me the best strategy is to estimate costs conservatively instead of taking out too much too soon. She says it's easy to increase later if need be (just fwiw).

spoke to Shirley (super nice lady; i've called multiple times before and she's always so helpful). she said it can be done in August and we'd have to come to the university to physically present some identification. there are forms to do it through the mail though but i think i'll just pop in there during the summer. yay for future procrastination!

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:33 pm

catharsis wrote:spoke to Shirley (super nice lady; i've called multiple times before and she's always so helpful). she said it can be done in August and we'd have to come to the university to physically present some identification. there are forms to do it through the mail though but i think i'll just pop in there during the summer. yay for future procrastination!
So just to be clear, the only thing we need to have done before we arrive at school is accept our awards via EFAN? We can wait on loan counseling/bank info until August?

catharsis

Postby catharsis » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:35 pm

philosoraptor wrote:
catharsis wrote:spoke to Shirley (super nice lady; i've called multiple times before and she's always so helpful). she said it can be done in August and we'd have to come to the university to physically present some identification. there are forms to do it through the mail though but i think i'll just pop in there during the summer. yay for future procrastination!
So just to be clear, the only thing we need to have done before we arrive at school is accept our awards via EFAN? We can wait on loan counseling/bank info until August?

im not sure about the loan counseling but the bank info. yes. i went ahead and just did the loan counseling because although it's annoying it really doesnt take too long.

Hook'Em

Postby Hook'Em » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:00 pm

UTaylor526 wrote:

Maybe tell us why you think so highly of UT and why you want to go to Cleveland?

Cleveland is the target because that is the hometown of my SO -- provided we are still together, I know that the SO would like to live there. As far as my love of UT, I visited and really enjoyed the atmosphere on campus -- school pride is rampant and the school itself is beautiful. I am also a libertarian, and I get the feeling that UT is a place in which I could express my ideas and not be laughed at (all my other law school choices are very liberal).

Also, I am somewhat of an outdoorsman, so I know that I would really be happiest in a beautiful city like Austin. (I am from Chicago and Iam quite tired of the cold weather up here!) I guess I just feel like I should have been born in Texas....it really is a great state.

Some people have tried to tell me that quality of life during law school is unimportant, as if we will be spending every waking minute in the library anyways. I guess I don't know what to think about that idea..

JordynAsh

Postby JordynAsh » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:10 pm

Hook'Em wrote:
UTaylor526 wrote:

Cleveland is the target because that is the hometown of my SO -- provided we are still together, I know that the SO would like to live there. As far as my love of UT, I visited and really enjoyed the atmosphere on campus -- school pride is rampant and the school itself is beautiful. I am also a libertarian, and I get the feeling that UT is a place in which I could express my ideas and not be laughed at (all my other law school choices are very liberal).

Also, I am somewhat of an outdoorsman, so I know that I would really be happiest in a beautiful city like Austin. (I am from Chicago and Iam quite tired of the cold weather up here!) I guess I just feel like I should have been born in Texas....it really is a great state.

Some people have tried to tell me that quality of life during law school is unimportant, as if we will be spending every waking minute in the library anyways. I guess I don't know what to think about that idea..

I read libertarian as "librarian" at first and thought "Hmm, I didn't know librarians held such contentious views." RC fail! While I don't have much info on UT's reach into Cleveland biglaw, I think UT is a great choice (disclaimer: Austin-loving UT undergrad) and if your SO is coming with you to law school, I think he/she will love it too.

Requisite 30 Rock/Cleveland quote: "Sure, Lemon, we'd all love to flee to "the Cleve."

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:41 pm

JordynAsh wrote:
Hook'Em wrote:
UTaylor526 wrote:

I read libertarian as "librarian" at first and thought "Hmm, I didn't know librarians held such contentious views." RC fail! While I don't have much info on UT's reach into Cleveland biglaw, I think UT is a great choice (disclaimer: Austin-loving UT undergrad) and if your SO is coming with you to law school, I think he/she will love it too.

Requisite 30 Rock/Cleveland quote: "Sure, Lemon, we'd all love to flee to "the Cleve."
Requisite old but still hilarious youtube clips:
(1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysmLA5Tq ... re=related
(2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgAjju ... re=related

UTaylor526

Postby UTaylor526 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:22 am

Hook'Em wrote:Cleveland is the target because that is the hometown of my SO -- provided we are still together, I know that the SO would like to live there. As far as my love of UT, I visited and really enjoyed the atmosphere on campus -- school pride is rampant and the school itself is beautiful. I am also a libertarian, and I get the feeling that UT is a place in which I could express my ideas and not be laughed at (all my other law school choices are very liberal).

I would suggest talking to your SO. Is he/she planning on following you to law school? Is it understood that you will move back to Cleveland or is that something you believe he/she wants? Are you engaged? Personally, I would never make a school decision based on a SO unless we were engaged but that is just me and my experiences.

These aren't questions to answer to us, but to yourself. Really think about your reasons for why you want to live/attend in each area. Also think about why you want to practice law. Can that be done in Texas? In Cleveland?

rputt3256

Postby rputt3256 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:08 pm

Just went to Austin this weekend to visit for the first time and completely fell in love. The school is beautiful and the professors/students are really nice and helpful.

I also just signed my lease at "The Triangle" in Hyde Park. It is on the pricier side for Austin, but coming from NYC it is still such a bargain!

I look forward to meeting everyone :)

mcflooter06

Postby mcflooter06 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:34 pm

So, last night I watched my Mavericks demolish (hahaha, OK, lets be realistic here...) the Spurs, and I had a thought. I've been told that Austin is a rather large Spurs hub, I'm not going to be beaten up for wearing my Mavs shirt to class now am I? :( And, more importantly, sports bars?? I'm not an in-your-face super obnoxious sports fan (and I'll be the first to tell you that that the Mavericks are not even that great), but I support all of my Dallas teams with quite a bit of DFW pride.

This is serious!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”