Texas 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
User avatar
philosoraptor
Posts: 708
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:49 am

Re: Texas 2013

Postby philosoraptor » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:50 pm

Pearalegal wrote:Thanks! And now, housing.
Yeah, seriously. Need to try to get this stuff figured out so I know how much soul-crushing debt to accept by May 1.

I'm definitely in the market for one or more fellow 1L roommates, with the goal of finding a halfway decent place that's close to the law school but won't break the bank. Anyone else on a similar quest? (Feel free to PM. For the record, I am a very responsible roommate.)

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Texas 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:51 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:Thanks! And now, housing.


Good luck, one of the main reasons I didn't pick Texas is because I didn't want to deal with the housing situation here again lol.

Am I not allowed here anymore since I didn't deposit? :(



Haha, obviously you posting here is against TLS-law and an insult.

I think I found a detached garage-style apartment that I love. It has a little screened in porch and is a 13 minute walk to the law school. Its a little expensive, and the outside of the building isn't anything special (albeit colorful), but it has a stone driveway for my car and a screened in porch and is pretty effing adorable inside.

Many of the apartment complexes I saw in Hyde Park were sort of...sketchy. Anyone feel the same?


They are all very old, yes. I probably only like my place here because it was renovated in 2008.

Pearalegal
Posts: 1433
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:50 am

Re: Texas 2013

Postby Pearalegal » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:28 pm

Jericwithers wrote:They are all very old, yes. I probably only like my place here because it was renovated in 2008.


As an UG, do you live in west campus? The places actually looked a little more decent over there, but surrounded by frat houses, so I'm not considering it, just curious.

User avatar
mcflooter06
Posts: 263
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:33 pm

Re: Texas 2013

Postby mcflooter06 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:28 pm

catharsis wrote:^ lol i liked those also but my favorite were Goosebumps! ahh the memories.



Ha, I was thinking the same thing. I wanted to know every outcome, though, so I read them all, lol.

User avatar
mcflooter06
Posts: 263
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:33 pm

Re: Texas 2013

Postby mcflooter06 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:33 pm

If anyone doesn't mind living in North Austin (about a 13 minute drive from campus), my complex is brand new and has a ton of openings for August. I commuted about a hour each way to UG, soo the drive won't phase me haha. I'm paying $650 for a 648 sq. ft 1 br, so I think its pretty reasonable. Theres tons of shopping (including an awesome HEB) and restaurants within walking distance.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Texas 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:42 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:They are all very old, yes. I probably only like my place here because it was renovated in 2008.


As an UG, do you live in west campus? The places actually looked a little more decent over there, but surrounded by frat houses, so I'm not considering it, just curious.


Nope that scene isn't for me, I live on the border of Hyde Park (38th st). It is constant noise and people in west campus, and isn't any more convenient to any place I want to go than being on 38th street which is quick to any major road. My search found that everything was overpriced in west campus or not nice enough to my liking. I was able to find a really nice efficiency in Hyde Park for $750 including cable and internet, and that was worth it even though more space would have been preferable.
--LinkRemoved--

That is the place I live, in case anyone wanted to see where I live and then discount any advice I give. I don't go too far north of 38th street (just to the post office) but it looks like most apartments are along Speedway south of 38th street. There are some nice-ish complexes along there but there is no guessing the price. It's a tough situation and I would just spend a day or two driving around, getting phone numbers, finding out rent rates, touring, rinse, repeat.

I am just glad I don't have to deal with anything of this in Durham :D Now if I come to back Austin I will just baller it up in one of those mega condo skyscrapers.

Mcfloater's complex does look nice though, but parking/traffic on/to campus can be bad at some times and costs $700 for a guaranteed spot.

User avatar
mcflooter06
Posts: 263
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:33 pm

Re: Texas 2013

Postby mcflooter06 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:47 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:They are all very old, yes. I probably only like my place here because it was renovated in 2008.


Mcfloater's complex does look nice though, but parking/traffic on/to campus can be bad at some times and costs $700 for a guaranteed spot.


Pfft yeah. They just opened a Metro station by the complex and it goes to downtown.. but I don't think I'd want to walk that. I'm still debating whether I'll get that cheap "not guaranteed" spot or the ridiculous $600 guaranteed pass... argh.

I'm really used to heavy traffic, so Austin's rush hour seemed like cake compared to what I'm used to (GRRR you North Texas Tollway Authority!!!). If you're not used to that kind of a drive, it can be a big pain.
Last edited by mcflooter06 on Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Texas 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:49 pm

mcflooter06 wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:They are all very old, yes. I probably only like my place here because it was renovated in 2008.


Mcfloater's complex does look nice though, but parking/traffic on/to campus can be bad at some times and costs $700 for a guaranteed spot.


Pfft yeah. They just opened a Metro station by the complex and it goes to downtown.. but I don't think I'd want to walk that. I'm still debating whether I'll get that cheap "not guaranteed" spot or the ridiculous $600 guaranteed pass... argh.


I have no experience with the C passes, but if you get here early enough you probably won't have problems. Then you have to deal with early morning traffic though.

Pearalegal
Posts: 1433
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:50 am

Re: Texas 2013

Postby Pearalegal » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:51 pm

A metro station opened up? Br?

User avatar
mcflooter06
Posts: 263
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:33 pm

Re: Texas 2013

Postby mcflooter06 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:53 pm

Jericwithers wrote:

I have no experience with the C passes, but if you get here early enough you probably won't have problems. Then you have to deal with early morning traffic though.


I talked to a 3L about it when I was there, and she says it was manageable, and if she was late she just parks in those impossible-looking paid spots in front of the building (how do you expect me to park backwards at an angle?!). I'll probably just try my luck with the C pass, and try to containt my early-morning road rage.

User avatar
mcflooter06
Posts: 263
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:33 pm

Re: Texas 2013

Postby mcflooter06 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:56 pm

Pearalegal wrote:A metro station opened up? Br?


I haven't seen it, its new and theres only about 5 stops: http://www.capmetro.org

Br= bedroom :)

User avatar
JordynAsh
Posts: 370
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:20 pm

Re: Texas 2013

Postby JordynAsh » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:58 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:Thanks! And now, housing.


Good luck, one of the main reasons I didn't pick Texas is because I didn't want to deal with the housing situation here again lol.

Am I not allowed here anymore since I didn't deposit? :(



Haha, obviously you posting here is against TLS-law and an insult.

I think I found a detached garage-style apartment that I love. It has a little screened in porch and is a 13 minute walk to the law school. Its a little expensive, and the outside of the building isn't anything special (albeit colorful), but it has a stone driveway for my car and a screened in porch and is pretty effing adorable inside.

Many of the apartment complexes I saw in Hyde Park were sort of...sketchy. Anyone feel the same?


PM'd with (possibly helpful) info!

Pearalegal
Posts: 1433
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:50 am

Re: Texas 2013

Postby Pearalegal » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:59 pm

mcflooter06 wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:A metro station opened up? Br?


I haven't seen it, its new and theres only about 5 stops: http://www.capmetro.org

Br= bedroom :)


Thanks! However, 'br' was my confused noise, not asking for clarification :mrgreen:

User avatar
mcflooter06
Posts: 263
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:33 pm

Re: Texas 2013

Postby mcflooter06 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:00 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
mcflooter06 wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:A metro station opened up? Br?


I haven't seen it, its new and theres only about 5 stops: http://www.capmetro.org

Br= bedroom :)


Thanks! However, 'br' was my confused noise, not asking for clarification :mrgreen:


Lol I wasn't sure. Haha I like that.

Pearalegal
Posts: 1433
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:50 am

Re: Texas 2013

Postby Pearalegal » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:00 pm

JordynAsh wrote:
PM'd with (possibly helpful) info!


Got it and PM'd back, thanks!

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Texas 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:02 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
mcflooter06 wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:A metro station opened up? Br?


I haven't seen it, its new and theres only about 5 stops: http://www.capmetro.org

Br= bedroom :)


Thanks! However, 'br' was my confused noise, not asking for clarification :mrgreen:


Lol, like the noise a dog makes? Brr?
mcflooter06 wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:A metro station opened up? Br?


I haven't seen it, its new and theres only about 5 stops: http://www.capmetro.org

Br= bedroom :)


I saw the metro rail the other day and was so confused. I just thought it was a test-run, but good to see that they finally got that thing moving.

Pearalegal
Posts: 1433
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:50 am

Re: Texas 2013

Postby Pearalegal » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:25 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:Thanks! However, 'br' was my confused noise, not asking for clarification :mrgreen:


Lol, like the noise a dog makes? Brr?


Yup!

And kick ass about that metro!

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Texas 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:28 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:Thanks! However, 'br' was my confused noise, not asking for clarification :mrgreen:


Lol, like the noise a dog makes? Brr?


Yup!

And kick ass about that metro!


$70 a month? A bit expensive, but if you can get really cheap, really nice housing along the line then it would be worth it.

Pearalegal
Posts: 1433
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:50 am

Re: Texas 2013

Postby Pearalegal » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:36 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:Thanks! However, 'br' was my confused noise, not asking for clarification :mrgreen:


Lol, like the noise a dog makes? Brr?


Yup!

And kick ass about that metro!


$70 a month? A bit expensive, but if you can get really cheap, really nice housing along the line then it would be worth it.


Wait, whats $70?

User avatar
Estrellas
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:27 pm

Re: Texas 2013

Postby Estrellas » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:36 pm

Ugh, housing. Is there anywhere I can find a breakdown on the best spots to live? I've never been to Austin, so I'm clueless. I've gathered that most grad students live in the Hyde Park area, but being that I'm completely unfamiliar makes it hard to find housing. You know, I have no idea what streets are the good ones, the proximity to the shuttles and buses, etc etc

I've tried searching through some posts here, but was unable to really find a lot of useful information. If any of you all have some good info or want to let me know in which areas I should be looking (with maybe the best blocks or streets), that would be awesome! I'll totally buy you a drink once I get to Austin

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Texas 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:38 pm

Pearalegal wrote:Wait, whats $70?


Metro Rail pass. Not sure if there is a academic year pass or a student discount, though.

User avatar
philosoraptor
Posts: 708
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:49 am

Re: Texas 2013

Postby philosoraptor » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:43 pm

Estrellas wrote:Ugh, housing. Is there anywhere I can find a breakdown on the best spots to live? I've never been to Austin, so I'm clueless. I've gathered that most grad students live in the Hyde Park area, but being that I'm completely unfamiliar makes it hard to find housing. You know, I have no idea what streets are the good ones, the proximity to the shuttles and buses, etc etc

I've tried searching through some posts here, but was unable to really find a lot of useful information. If any of you all have some good info or want to let me know in which areas I should be looking (with maybe the best blocks or streets), that would be awesome! I'll totally buy you a drink once I get to Austin
When I get home from work tonight I'll try to find and post the helpful housing sheet they passed out at ASD. It covers a lot of this info.

gmichaelbluth
Posts: 172
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:35 am

Re: Texas 2013

Postby gmichaelbluth » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:46 pm

So is Hyde Park the end all be all if we want to steer clear of undergrad mayhem? Are there other areas that are convenient and fun?

Pearalegal
Posts: 1433
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:50 am

Re: Texas 2013

Postby Pearalegal » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:50 pm

philosoraptor wrote:When I get home from work tonight I'll try to find and post the helpful housing sheet they passed out at ASD. It covers a lot of this info.


Send it around if you do!

User avatar
entrechatsix
Posts: 229
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:05 am

Re: Texas 2013

Postby entrechatsix » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:21 pm

Jericwithers wrote:Mcfloater's complex does look nice though, but parking/traffic on/to campus can be bad at some times and costs $700 for a guaranteed spot.


are these guaranteed parking passes hard to get? as in, will we able to get them as a 1L? i keep telling myself that i'll ride the bus... but i've always driven to ug, am perpetually running late and probably just need to bite the bullet and get the parking pass.

edit: YAY pear! so glad you enjoyed your visit




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest