Texas 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
catharsis

Re: Texas 2013

Postby catharsis » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:29 pm

philosoraptor wrote:Deposit is in; Texas it is. Thrilled to be joining y'all this fall. Congratulations to all who have made the same decision -- all signs point toward a great class.

Now, serious question: Anyone looking for an awesome roommate in Austin?

YESSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I really wanted you to join us hahaha..! woohoo!! congrats man!! im happy Emory gave you a bag of fail during your visit hahaha..congrats on the decision!!

mcflooter06

Postby mcflooter06 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:00 pm

So apparently the lovely psycho soon-to-be gunner I met at the OMV is a TLS poster. At least, my amazing deduction skills lead me to believe that this person is on TLS, but it seems pretttty obvious.

:shock:

... but they're going elsewhere. :)

catharsis

Postby catharsis » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:03 pm

mcflooter06 wrote:So apparently the lovely psycho soon-to-be gunner I met at the OMV is a TLS poster. At least, my amazing deduction skills lead me to believe that this person is on TLS, but it seems pretttty obvious.

the most important part of that post.. you left me in suspense flooter!! :lol:

mcflooter06

Postby mcflooter06 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:08 pm

catharsis wrote:
mcflooter06 wrote:So apparently the lovely psycho soon-to-be gunner I met at the OMV is a TLS poster. At least, my amazing deduction skills lead me to believe that this person is on TLS, but it seems pretttty obvious.

the most important part of that post.. you left me in suspense flooter!! :lol:

Lol, I try SO hard to be nice and cordial as much as possible, but this person.. I couldn't take it. I'm glad he didn't drive me over the edge and I was going to have to say something to his face. Unbearable. But, to be nice, I hope they're happy in their future endeavors (and I sure am happy that does NOT include UT Law. Sheesh.)

On another note, I'm so excited that everyone is making their final decisions and we're getting closer to.. starting law school (so scary). Officially put the deposit down for my apartment today! Yaaay!

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:17 pm

catharsis wrote:YESSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I really wanted you to join us hahaha..! woohoo!! congrats man!! im happy Emory gave you a bag of fail during your visit hahaha..congrats on the decision!!
lol, thanks dude. So glad to be done with it. In fairness to Emory, it's a great school and their ASW was a lot of fun, but while I was there, it really sank in how many more opportunities I would have at UT. Certainly wouldn't begrudge anyone for choosing Emory, but Texas is the right place for me, and it's worth a lil' extra cash.

yournamehere

Postby yournamehere » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:16 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
yournamehere wrote:if you guys are interested in buying land to get residency, i have a friend who is a 1L who is selling. PM for details.

Why is he selling? Did the scheme not work out for him?

it's a business proposition. he has the land, he's just carving out chunks of it to sell to people to help them get residency.

edit: typo

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:18 pm

yournamehere wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
yournamehere wrote:if you guys are interested in buying land to get residency, i have a friend who is a 1L who is selling. PM for details.

Why is he selling? Did the scheme not work out for him?

it's a business proposition. he has the land, he's just carving out chunks of it to sell to people to help them get residency.

edit: typo

Calling state rep to get them to change residency laws to where it must be over a certain acreage or attached to a house :lol:

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:21 pm

So I can deposit on the 15th, right?

catharsis

Postby catharsis » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:42 pm

Pearalegal wrote:So I can deposit on the 15th, right?

correct :)

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:43 pm

catharsis wrote:

'What I Owe' is the greatest way to do law school deposits. Unfortunately they don't take Visa so I would have to beg parents for their credit.

yournamehere

Postby yournamehere » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:48 pm

Jericwithers wrote:Calling state rep to get them to change residency laws to where it must be over a certain acreage or attached to a house :lol:

legislature won't be in session till 2011. good try though.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:53 pm

yournamehere wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:Calling state rep to get them to change residency laws to where it must be over a certain acreage or attached to a house :lol:

legislature won't be in session till 2011. good try though.

Yes, but for future years. Apparently this is a running scam.

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:18 pm

catharsis wrote:

Haha, thanks. Sorry for the vaguely sketchy question. I'd rather pay by debit than credit but had to spend a lot of moolah this past pay period, so I was hoping to wait pay on pay day so my bank account doesn't have like, 4 dollars in it.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:26 am

Oh...my...goodness.....Scholarship matching received accepted. $15k a year now :shock: I am so confused now!!!

EDIT: Matched within 24 hours, got a call too. Maybe they do care about longhorns afterall :D

mcflooter06

Postby mcflooter06 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:08 am

Jericwithers wrote:Oh...my...goodness.....Scholarship matching received accepted. $15k a year now :shock: I am so confused now!!!

EDIT: Matched within 24 hours, got a call too. Maybe they do care about longhorns afterall :D

Come to UT?

That should fix all that confusion. :D

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:11 am

mcflooter06 wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:Oh...my...goodness.....Scholarship matching received accepted. $15k a year now :shock: I am so confused now!!!

Come to UT?

That should fix all that confusion. :D

:? It doesn't. I might just draw names from a hat :?

UTaylor526

Postby UTaylor526 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:13 pm

Jericwithers wrote: :? It doesn't. I might just draw names from a hat :?

I had a friend that had two job offers (Company A and Company B) out of college and she couldn't decide which she wanted more. She ultimately flipped a coin and it landed on company B. Her roommate asked her "how do you feel about that?" and she said she was disappointed -so she took company A. Maybe you could try that? Try it by chance and see how the outcome makes you feel.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:37 pm

UTaylor526 wrote:

I had a friend that had two job offers (Company A and Company B) out of college and she couldn't decide which she wanted more. She ultimately flipped a coin and it landed on company B. Her roommate asked her "how do you feel about that?" and she said she was disappointed -so she took company A. Maybe you could try that? Try it by chance and see how the outcome makes you feel.

Ya I have been thinking about it, and my heart really does feel set about Duke. What I did was call my dad who wants me to go to Texas and I found myself defending Duke.

Still having an internal debate though. Texas football is a much more generally fun atmosphere and the sport is great, but there are more Duke basketball games and it is indoors.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:25 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
UTaylor526 wrote:

Ya I have been thinking about it, and my heart really does feel set about Duke. What I did was call my dad who wants me to go to Texas and I found myself defending Duke.

Still having an internal debate though. Texas football is a much more generally fun atmosphere and the sport is great, but there are more Duke basketball games and it is indoors.

just go to duke. you know you want to, and i think the decision's really been made for a while now regardless of whether UT ups its scholarship offer.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:32 pm

I would feel like a traitor and a sellout for not going to Texas though. :? Maybe the sooners and aggies going to Texas can tell me how to repress those feelings?

soonergirl

Postby soonergirl » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:47 pm

f0bolous wrote:just go to duke. you know you want to, and i think the decision's really been made for a while now regardless of whether UT ups its scholarship offer.

I noticed this, too, but didn't want to say it. He's half hoping UT will deny his request so that he can go to Duke.

JCW: It's really clear that your heart's already in Durham. As somebody who already has two degrees from one school, I can tell you you'll regret it if you don't explore new horizons. (lol. I so didn't just type that. I feel like the narrator on Reading Rainbow or something.)

I don't get the sellout thing, though. Did Duke really offer you more than Texas? That seems backwards to me. But then I don't know - I didn't apply to Duke. Applying to one horned devil was bad enough!

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:50 pm

soonergirl wrote:
f0bolous wrote:just go to duke. you know you want to, and i think the decision's really been made for a while now regardless of whether UT ups its scholarship offer.

I noticed this, too, but didn't want to say it. He's half hoping UT will deny his request so that he can go to Duke.

JCW: It's really clear that your heart's already in Durham. As somebody who already has two degrees from one school, I can tell you you'll regret it if you don't explore new horizons. (lol. I so didn't just type that. I feel like the narrator on Reading Rainbow or something.)

I don't get the sellout thing, though. Did Duke really offer you more than Texas? That seems backwards to me. But then I don't know - I didn't apply to Duke. Applying to one horned devil was bad enough!

No Duke didn't give me more, but they were only $20k more total (an easy choice at that price difference). If you hadn't read my post from this morning, UT DID grant my scholarship matching request and upped it from $21k to $45k (ontop of my $15k in need grants). So NOW it is a really hard choice.

soonergirl

Postby soonergirl » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:09 pm

Jericwithers wrote: So NOW it is a really hard choice.

No kidding! How do you choose between football and basketball?

Seriously, good luck sorting it all out. In some ways I'm glad Stanford made my decision for me. Plus, I'm feeling better and better about UT. I've even found two other people my age heading to Austin!

I do hope you go to school with us coolbeans people in this thread, but I wouldn't blame you for heading to Duke, either. You really can't go wrong either way, I think.

UTaylor526

Postby UTaylor526 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:09 pm

Jericwithers wrote:No Duke didn't give me more, but they were only $20k more total (an easy choice at that price difference). If you hadn't read my post from this morning, UT DID grant my scholarship matching request and upped it from $21k to $45k (ontop of my $15k in need grants). So NOW it is a really hard choice.

Not really. You obviously want to go to Duke (as you said, you found yourself defending it to your dad), so go. Besides the fact that sports are never a reason to choose a law school (referencing your earlier post), you will perform better at a school at which you are happy.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:12 pm

Hrmmm I think you people are just trying to convince me to not go to Texas so there will be 1 less gunner *shifty eyes* lol jk thanks for the help.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”