Texas 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
UTaylor526

Re: Texas 2013

Postby UTaylor526 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:12 am

M_F_F_L wrote:So I just deposited for Texas. I'm turning down a full ride at Baylor to pay out-of-state sticker at UT. I figure it's worth 200K to not play the "what if" game for the rest of my life. Still, I'm really freaking out about the huge finacial decision I just made, so written affirmation would be awesome right about now. Ready...Go!

PS: Thanks to Esc, Catharsis, Estrellas, Adrib, YEM, and other posters that have helped me through the decision process. Whether it was through PM's or simply replying to my posts, you guys have been super helpful.

Congrats and welcome. I understand the feeling of turning down a full ride but believe you (and I) made the right decision.

entrechatsix

Postby entrechatsix » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:13 am

M_F_F_L wrote:So I just deposited for Texas. I'm turning down a full ride at Baylor to pay out-of-state sticker at UT. I figure it's worth 200K to not play the "what if" game for the rest of my life. Still, I'm really freaking out about the huge finacial decision I just made, so written affirmation would be awesome right about now. Ready...Go!

PS: Thanks to Esc, Catharsis, Estrellas, Adrib, YEM, and other posters that have helped me through the decision process. Whether it was through PM's or simply replying to my posts, you guys have been super helpful.

congrats! i think you're making a great decision! :D

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:03 am

Scholarship matching email sent, wish me luck or UT will lose me to Duke for good.

UTaylor526

Postby UTaylor526 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:20 am

Jericwithers wrote:Scholarship matching email sent, wish me luck or UT will lose me to Duke for good.

Is this going to be like the magic LSAT retake number? If you don't have X amount matched you are going to Duke?

adrib

Postby adrib » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:22 am

yay! I was just thinking about you this morning, sooo glad you're joining us! Definitely think this is going to be worth it :mrgreen:

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:27 am

Deposit is in; Texas it is. Thrilled to be joining y'all this fall. Congratulations to all who have made the same decision -- all signs point toward a great class.

Now, serious question: Anyone looking for an awesome roommate in Austin?

soonergirl

Postby soonergirl » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:27 am

You should start working on that in-state residency thing now so that you don't have to pay OOS all three years. That'll at least ease your concerns a little bit.

M_F_F_L

Postby M_F_F_L » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:43 am

soonergirl wrote:

You should start working on that in-state residency thing now so that you don't have to pay OOS all three years. That'll at least ease your concerns a little bit.

I'm one step ahead of you. I'm working on getting some land this summer. I've lived in Texas for the past four years completing undergrad, but I think it matters. My parents' residency has always been OOS.

Does anyone have a sample scholarship matching letter you could PM me? I may try my luck with the Baylor offer.

Estrellas

Postby Estrellas » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:50 am

Hey everyone! I just paid my deposit! I'm super excited!

I have to get on that whole buying property thing. Are there any good websites to check out?

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:37 pm

UTaylor526 wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:Scholarship matching email sent, wish me luck or UT will lose me to Duke for good.

Is this going to be like the magic LSAT retake number? If you don't have X amount matched you are going to Duke?

Pretty much.

adrib

Postby adrib » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:37 pm

Estrellas wrote:Hey everyone! I just paid my deposit! I'm super excited!

I have to get on that whole buying property thing. Are there any good websites to check out?

yay! I remember when you posted in the In at Texas thread! so happy you're joining us :D

i don't know anything about the buying property thing--i want to say fobulous is one of our experts, though, maybe he'll make an appearance!

soonergirl

on punctuation, excessive use of.

Postby soonergirl » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:47 pm

Jericwithers wrote:Pretty much.

Don't give him anything!! He unjustly persecutes other students!!! He'll be a blight upon the entire class!!!!

Jericwithers

Re: on punctuation, excessive use of.

Postby Jericwithers » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:17 pm

soonergirl wrote:

Don't give him anything!! He unjustly persecutes other students!!! He'll be a blight upon the entire class!!!!

Yes but the odds are I will donate 5x the amount you do. They will get the extra money it takes to get me there back 10-fold.

EDIT: Not saying I will be rich and you will be poor, but you are a sooner and your loyalty's lie elsewhere. I guess its a public law school though; so not much of their budget comes from alum donations :?
Last edited by Jericwithers on Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JordynAsh

Postby JordynAsh » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:21 pm

UTaylor526 wrote:
By the way, a couple of friends and I closed on a 4 bedroom house today in Hyde Park. Enormous amounts of space for $675 per bedroom.

Congrats! Dunno if you're new to the HP area, but you'll love it.

JordynAsh

Postby JordynAsh » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:23 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
soonergirl wrote:

Yes but the odds are I will donate 5x the amount you do. They will get the extra money it takes to get me there back 10-fold.

Are you still complaining about your scholarship $$?

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:26 pm

JordynAsh wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
soonergirl wrote:

For the rest of my life.

JordynAsh

Postby JordynAsh » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:28 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
JordynAsh wrote:

For the rest of my life.

Haha well then for your sake and the sake of this thread, I hope Ingram matches your Dook offer.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:30 pm

JordynAsh wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
JordynAsh wrote:

For the rest of my life.

Haha well then for your sake and the sake of this thread, I hope Ingram matches your Dook offer.

Lol thanks, it will be over for yall in the next 3 days regardless. Then I will only be here to offer advice on football ticket, why A&M or OU is inferior, and apartment/area information.

JordynAsh

Postby JordynAsh » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:31 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
JordynAsh wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
JordynAsh wrote:

For the rest of my life.

Lol thanks, it will be over for yall in the next 3 days regardless. Then I will only be here to offer advice on football ticket, why A&M or OU is inferior, and apartment/area information.

All very valuable info for UT newbies.

UTaylor526

Postby UTaylor526 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:34 pm

JordynAsh wrote:
UTaylor526 wrote:
By the way, a couple of friends and I closed on a 4 bedroom house today in Hyde Park. Enormous amounts of space for $675 per bedroom.

Congrats! Dunno if you're new to the HP area, but you'll love it.

I am actually. I did the Dobie thing for 2 years, West Campus for 1, and then Far West for the current year. Will be happily moving closer to campus and into HP.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:56 pm

Deposit paid. :!:

louboutin

Postby louboutin » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:11 pm

how is everyone looking for housing/room mates? So excited :D

yournamehere

Postby yournamehere » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:21 pm

if you guys are interested in buying land to get residency, i have a friend who is a 1L who is selling. PM for details.

catharsis

Postby catharsis » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:26 pm

MFFL, Im sooo happy you will be joining us and I really look forward to meeting you. I completely understand your situation (I was in one very similar to it) but I know in the long-run we made a wise and great decision. We only live once so we might as well chase our dreams. Im very happy for you!! :D :D

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:27 pm

yournamehere wrote:if you guys are interested in buying land to get residency, i have a friend who is a 1L who is selling. PM for details.

Why is he selling? Did the scheme not work out for him?

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”