Texas 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Esc

Re: Texas 2013

Postby Esc » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:19 pm

Pearalegal wrote:I wish I knew what society I am going to be in!

You're gonna have to wait until August I'm afraid.

yournamehere

Postby yournamehere » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:27 pm

Esc wrote:

You're gonna have to wait until August I'm afraid.

in other news, hodges rocks.

soonergirl

Postby soonergirl » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:28 pm

I don't get the society deal. In fact, the matching t-shirts in the photo on the webpage actually kind of creep me out.

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:31 pm

soonergirl wrote:

I don't get the society deal. In fact, the matching t-shirts in the photo on the webpage actually kind of creep me out.

Its just a way of getting to know classmates and 2Ls better, I'd imagine. The boat thing sounds like fun.

Apparently you also have little get togethers with professors to make it all more manageable. I don't know, seems like a smart idea to make Texas' class seem a little more intimate. Plus, I like teams. I feel like societies would give rise to team mentalities.

Esc

Postby Esc » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:35 pm

soonergirl wrote:

Some professor mentors are apparently way more motivated than others, so some societies are much more active than others. This was particularly evident at the society games last fall, where a couple societies turned out nearly all their 1Ls, and others barely showed up at all.

What is more interesting is finding out what section you will be in, and thus what professors you will have for 1L fall.

soonergirl

Postby soonergirl » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:37 pm

Esc wrote:Some professor mentors are apparently way more motivated than others, so some societies are much more active than others. This was particularly evident at the society games last fall, where a couple societies turned out nearly all their 1Ls, and others barely showed up at all.

What is more interesting is finding out what section you will be in, and thus what professors you will have for 1L fall.

How do you find out? Do they use a talking hat?

Esc

Postby Esc » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:39 pm

soonergirl wrote:
Esc wrote:Some professor mentors are apparently way more motivated than others, so some societies are much more active than others. This was particularly evident at the society games last fall, where a couple societies turned out nearly all their 1Ls, and others barely showed up at all.

Your society and section assignments will appear on Freshlaw in early August. I dunno how they assign students.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:39 pm

soonergirl wrote:

Haha

+1 point for Griffendoor

Esc

Postby Esc » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:40 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
soonergirl wrote:

Haha

+1 point for Griffendoor

Pretty much, except Lone Star and Shiner takes the place of magic and wands.

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:40 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
soonergirl wrote:

Haha

+1 point for Griffendoor

It's GRYFFINDOR....GOD.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:41 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
soonergirl wrote:

Haha

+1 point for Griffendoor

It's GRYFFINDOR....GOD.

I've never watched it with subtitles on, sorry!

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:44 pm

Jericwithers wrote:

THEY WERE BOOKS FIRST, OK?!!?

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:47 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

...... :?:

soonergirl

Postby soonergirl » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:48 pm

Jericwithers wrote:Haha

+1 point for Griffendoor

Sweet! I'm in Gryffindor! Now if only I can make the quidditch team.

soonergirl

Postby soonergirl » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:49 pm

Jericwithers wrote:

awesome. too funny.

Daico

Postby Daico » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:51 pm

The society program is a neat way of breaking a large class down into manageable chunks and I've found that it did work to help foster a fairly socially supportive atmosphere. [PS: Hodges sucks. Even if they do get the better shirts.]

Esc wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
soonergirl wrote:Some professor mentors are apparently way more motivated than others, so some societies are much more active than others. This was particularly evident at the society games last fall, where a couple societies turned out nearly all their 1Ls, and others barely showed up at all.

They have a magic hat! And in my experience, magic hats are purple!

Pearalegal wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

I like you.

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:53 pm

Jeric-- duck fuke, but did you see the daily show thing on dook winning the national championship?

soonergirl

Postby soonergirl » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:54 pm

Daico wrote:The society program is a neat way of breaking a large class down into manageable chunks and I've found that it did work to help foster a fairly socially supportive atmosphere. [PS: Hodges sucks. Even if they do get the better shirts.]

so it's like frats except [strike]without all the drinking[/strike] without all the membership dues? sweet!
Last edited by soonergirl on Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:54 pm

Daico wrote:The society program is a neat way of breaking a large class down into manageable chunks and I've found that it did work to help foster a fairly socially supportive atmosphere. [PS: Hodges sucks. Even if they do get the better shirts.]

Esc wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
soonergirl wrote:Some professor mentors are apparently way more motivated than others, so some societies are much more active than others. This was particularly evident at the society games last fall, where a couple societies turned out nearly all their 1Ls, and others barely showed up at all.

They have a magic hat! And in my experience, magic hats are purple!

Pearalegal wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

I like you.

I don't think anything you quoted was correct....
soonergirl wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

awesome. too funny.

Yours was better, seriously LOL'd.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:54 pm

Pearalegal wrote:Jeric-- duck fuke, but did you see the daily show thing on dook winning the national championship?

Hahaha yes!! "Oh no, we won."

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:56 pm

Wheres the shirt picture? All I knew about societies is that we'd be in classes together and that there would be pre-post-at-after-orientation social events, both things which made me curious to see what little group I'd be put in.

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:58 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:Jeric-- duck fuke, but did you see the daily show thing on dook winning the national championship?

Hahaha yes!! "Oh no, we won."

Hysterical. Also, you have to check out Franklin Street in Chapel Hill many times during your years at Duke. I don't think even the most die hard Duke fan will argue that Chapel Hill doesn't trump Durham.

soonergirl

Postby soonergirl » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:58 pm

Pearalegal wrote:Wheres the shirt picture? All I knew about societies is that we'd be in classes together and that there would be pre-post-at-after-orientation social events, both things which made me curious to see what little group I'd be put in.

It's on the main page, but the photos rotate.

--ImageRemoved--

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:03 pm

soonergirl wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:Wheres the shirt picture? All I knew about societies is that we'd be in classes together and that there would be pre-post-at-after-orientation social events, both things which made me curious to see what little group I'd be put in.

--ImageRemoved--

Never really thought too hard about why those random people were wearing matching shirts. I always sort of assume the students on the website don't actually attend. They're like the people corporations take pictures of.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:06 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
soonergirl wrote:

--ImageRemoved--

Never really thought too hard about why those random people were wearing matching shirts. I always sort of assume the students on the website don't actually attend. They're like the people corporations take pictures of.

What??? You're telling me that those people I see don't really support clean coal???

So is that a picture of the method Texas uses to determine top vs. bottom 50%?

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”