Texas 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
batmansion

Re: Texas 2013

Postby batmansion » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:32 am

Last edited by batmansion on Sun May 23, 2010 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

bigred82

Postby bigred82 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:06 am

I prefer outdoor gun ranges....even in summer.

UTaylor526

Postby UTaylor526 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:34 am

soonergirl wrote:
UTaylor526 wrote:
f0bolous wrote:i want a gun!!

should we organize a shooting range or skeet shooting trip sometime?

Why not just use the on-campus gun range? :)

please tell me you're kidding.

Nope! I've never personally been but an old roommate of mine got a gun when we lived together (sadly not the worst thing on which he wasted his money) and was looking for gun ranges close to campus. Well lucky for him he happened to find one on campus! I think it has weird hours and some other major restrictions that make it one people rarely use, but it does exist.

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:01 am

Eh, I've never had a problem with shooting ranges (as a native Marylander, I suppose I'm south of the Mason Dixon line). I've been taught gun safety since I was a little kid, and I enjoy shooting targets or cans or whatever when I'm out in Missouri with my extended family.

What always struck me as pathetic is when guys I knew would go hunting for animals that were kept in enclosed sort of spaces and not eat them or anything. That to me is absolutely disgusting. Its just like pouring poison in a fish tank. Oooh, big strong man. Shot things in what basically amounts to captivity. That makes you super tough. Grr.

soonergirl

Postby soonergirl » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:52 pm

UTaylor526 wrote:Nope! I've never personally been but an old roommate of mine got a gun when we lived together (sadly not the worst thing on which he wasted his money) and was looking for gun ranges close to campus. Well lucky for him he happened to find one on campus! I think it has weird hours and some other major restrictions that make it one people rarely use, but it does exist.

you're telling me our student fees are going to provide opportunity for people to carry firearms on campus?

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:58 pm

soonergirl wrote:
UTaylor526 wrote:Nope! I've never personally been but an old roommate of mine got a gun when we lived together (sadly not the worst thing on which he wasted his money) and was looking for gun ranges close to campus. Well lucky for him he happened to find one on campus! I think it has weird hours and some other major restrictions that make it one people rarely use, but it does exist.

you're telling me our student fees are going to provide opportunity for people to carry firearms on campus?

No, thats what the bill the state is trying to pass will do.

UTaylor526

Postby UTaylor526 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:59 pm

soonergirl wrote:

Ehhh, sort of. There was actually a big push last year about the right to carry on campus (which we cannot.) You have to carry the gun unloaded in a container to the range, use their ammo, and not take any with you.

Or at least that is my third party understanding of it.

UTaylor526

Postby UTaylor526 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:59 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
soonergirl wrote:

No, thats what the bill the state is trying to pass will do.

Doesn't matter -the UT board has still voted to not allow it regardless of the bill.

soonergirl

Postby soonergirl » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:01 pm

UTaylor526 wrote:Ehhh, sort of. There was actually a big push last year about the right to carry on campus (which we cannot.) You have to carry the gun unloaded in a container to the range, use their ammo, and not take any with you.

awesome! so when I see a guy on campus in a black mask carrying a semi-automatic, I'll just assume the gun's not loaded. :shock:

UTaylor526

Postby UTaylor526 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:57 pm

soonergirl wrote:
UTaylor526 wrote:Ehhh, sort of. There was actually a big push last year about the right to carry on campus (which we cannot.) You have to carry the gun unloaded in a container to the range, use their ammo, and not take any with you.

awesome! so when I see a guy on campus in a black mask carrying a semi-automatic, I'll just assume the gun's not loaded. :shock:

Well not anymore at least.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:56 pm

i'm really liking the idea of having a gun on campus...

makes me want to shoot something and kill it

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:57 pm

f0bolous wrote:i'm really liking the idea of having a gun on campus...

makes me want to shoot something and kill it

<--- withdrew application

bigred82

Postby bigred82 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:24 pm

Someone that is willing to violate social mores and laws and shoot another person most likely doesn't care about state law or what a school administration says. Carry laws have no effect on those who do not abide by the law.

Still, I would not want to use a gun range that required me to buy their ammo. I would bet that their ammo is incredibly overpriced. If there is enough interest, I'm sure we can schedule a few small group outings to some of the gun ranges in the area.

Back onto the topic of UT Law, has anyone asked for a clarification of what constitutes "real" property for residency?

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:37 pm

bigred82 wrote:Back onto the topic of UT Law, has anyone asked for a clarification of what constitutes "real" property for residency?
Haven't done extensive research yet, but since the residency FAQs don't specify, I'd go with the standard definition -- land and stuff that's permanently attached to land.

soonergirl

Postby soonergirl » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:35 pm

bigred82 wrote:Back onto the topic of UT Law, has anyone asked for a clarification of what constitutes "real" property for residency?

Unless you're going to wait a year, it doesn't matter:

Q. How do I establish residency?
    A. One must be an independent (not claimed as a dependent for income tax purposes), US citizen or permanent resident, (have a green card, also known as card I-551 or the evidence of I-551 stamp in the passport) or international student who is eligible to establish a domicile in Texas and live in the state of Texas for 12 consecutive months and establish a domicile in Texas prior to enrollment.
    Return to Table of Contents

Q. How do I establish a domicile in Texas?
    A. A domicile in Texas is presumed if, at least 12 months prior to the census date of the semester in which he or she is to enroll, at least one of the following applies: 1) the person owns real property in Texas, 2) the person owns a business in Texas, 3) the person is married to someone who has established a domicile in Texas, 4) the person has had gainful employment other than work-study and other such student employment in Texas.

I may be misreading that, but it sure sounds like you have to be there a full year without being enrolled.
http://www.utexas.edu/student/admissions/residency/

JordynAsh

Postby JordynAsh » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:38 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
imisscollege wrote:to Jordyn's dismay I just got 15k/yr today from UT and threw down my first deposit. Switching from sticker to sticker-45k certainly changes things slightly. Like I said I didn't dislike the school at ASD, just wasn't blown away. BC w/ 18k/yr vs UT w/ 15k/yr. Thoughts? (Although perhaps I'm asking the wrong group...)

Congrats.

I second the congrats; it's not that I'll be upset if you go here. Just don't rain on parades!

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:38 pm

soonergirl wrote:

Unless you're going to wait a year, it doesn't matter:

Q. How do I establish residency?
    A. One must be an independent (not claimed as a dependent for income tax purposes), US citizen or permanent resident, (have a green card, also known as card I-551 or the evidence of I-551 stamp in the passport) or international student who is eligible to establish a domicile in Texas and live in the state of Texas for 12 consecutive months and establish a domicile in Texas prior to enrollment.
    Return to Table of Contents

Q. How do I establish a domicile in Texas?
    A. A domicile in Texas is presumed if, at least 12 months prior to the census date of the semester in which he or she is to enroll, at least one of the following applies: 1) the person owns real property in Texas, 2) the person owns a business in Texas, 3) the person is married to someone who has established a domicile in Texas, 4) the person has had gainful employment other than work-study and other such student employment in Texas.

I may be misreading that, but it sure sounds like you have to be there a full year without being enrolled.
http://www.utexas.edu/student/admissions/residency/

So can you get residency for 2L year then, or do they only check once and classify you as that till you graduate?

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:39 pm

JordynAsh wrote:I second the congrats; it's not that I'll be upset if you go here. Just don't rain on parades!

Raining on parades is acceptable during the summer months when it is drought dry. You'll see what I mean lol.

JordynAsh

Postby JordynAsh » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:44 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
JordynAsh wrote:I second the congrats; it's not that I'll be upset if you go here. Just don't rain on parades!

Raining on parades is acceptable during the summer months when it is drought dry. You'll see what I mean lol.

Oh I feel ya. Two summers ago when the Greenbelt was bone dry was a sad one.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:47 pm

JordynAsh wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

Oh I feel ya. Two summers ago when the Greenbelt was bone dry was a sad one.

--LinkRemoved--

I was here for almost the whole thing, too :(

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:18 pm

Jericwithers wrote:So can you get residency for 2L year then, or do they only check once and classify you as that till you graduate?
Again, my confidence that the former is true is based entirely on what Linda, the head of the financial aid office, told me at ASD. I'm not going to rush out and buy anything just yet, but apparently it's a common thing. The way the residency FAQ page is worded, it doesn't exclude the possibility that "enrollment" refers to any given year or semester. F0bulous, didn't we talk about this during ASD as well? And didn't other out-of-staters get the same spiel from the fin aid office?

blackknight

Postby blackknight » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:23 pm

You can apply prior to your 2L year if you didnt qualify for 1L.

soonergirl

Postby soonergirl » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:30 pm

blackknight wrote:You can apply prior to your 2L year if you didnt qualify for 1L.

awesome. thanks! I talked to the residency office and they led me way astray. Real estate is pretty steep in Austin, but I'm still hoping to buy.

BigRed:
If you're serious about buying, make sure you get your contract signed by April 30 so you qualify for the federal homebuyer's incentive.

blackknight

Postby blackknight » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:21 pm

You dont have to buy anything in Austin. Alot of people just buy land in the middle of no where Texas for like $500. But make sure you do it so it closes in your name before the 12th day of class.

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:15 pm

I wish I knew what society I am going to be in!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”