Texas 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
User avatar
soonergirl
Posts: 311
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:26 pm

Re: Texas 2013

Postby soonergirl » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:19 pm

castellon wrote:I just mean it wasn't a huge change. It was kind of like a way better version of Norman, if that makes sense...


No, I know *exactly* what you mean. This part of the country is pretty monolithic, even the "blue" parts. I just thought it was funny that you're evaluating law schools, but there was nothing in there about, you know, law school. But then I can't talk...when I was evaluating schools I took weather and football into account.

imisscollege
Posts: 438
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Texas 2013

Postby imisscollege » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:46 am

PartyOfOne wrote:
imisscollege wrote:
I was also a bit underwhelmed by Austin as a city. I expected ridiculous looking girls and an amazing bar scene. The girls were fine looking but nothing out of control. Some cute ones some not, pretty standard. The bar scene was decent but very comparable to areas in Boston, DC, and NY before. Don't get me wrong-- a sizeable bar scene certainly exists and makes its presence known and there unquestionably are attractive girls but it doesn't blow other cities away in terms of its night life, as I had expected it to based on what I had heard.



I think you missed a lot of what Austin has to offer. Many people mistakenly believe the thing that makes Austin great is 6th St alone. But as you said, many cities offer comparable bar scenes, and honestly the raucous undergrad bar scene can get old pretty fast, even if Austin's is top notch.

Go back to Austin and visit the incredible streams and trails of Greenbelt, Barton Springs, or the lake; check out the seemingly infinite supply of great independent restaurants and boutiques around South 1st, South Congress, Hyde Park, Eastside, etc; or attend any of the unbelievable music, art, or film festivals regularly hosted in the city. Then tell me if you're still underwhelmed by this exciting, vibrant, young city.

As for attractive girls, I can only humbly suggest that you take another look and/or consult an optometrist.


I mean I did--I didn't just stay on 6th. I went to Barton springs and it was cool but I don't think having that compares to having a real ocean an hour or less away. I went for a couple long runs while I was there and saw a couple of the areas to which you refer. And I totally get how Austin has great music/art festivals but I don't know I just don't think I care. It's kind of like how, as a musician, I totally get how people can be really into Bach, etc. and I respect that. But it's not something I would ever want to listen to in my free time. And you would think that as a musician I would be really into all the live music but I'm just....not. I don't know I had a fun time when i visited but I'm just not sure the city is for me.

Pearalegal
Posts: 1433
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:50 am

Re: Texas 2013

Postby Pearalegal » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:49 am

imisscollege wrote:I mean I did--I didn't just stay on 6th. I went to Barton springs and it was cool but I don't think having that compares to having a real ocean an hour or less away. I went for a couple long runs while I was there and saw a couple of the areas to which you refer. And I totally get how Austin has great music/art festivals but I don't know I just don't think I care. It's kind of like how, as a musician, I totally get how people can be really into Bach, etc. and I respect that. But it's not something I would ever want to listen to in my free time. And you would think that as a musician I would be really into all the live music but I'm just....not. I don't know I had a fun time when i visited but I'm just not sure the city is for me.


Great, its not for everyone, good luck with your other schools! I'm not sure if you're looking for any advice, because I didn't see any questions about the city...but buh-bye and hope you find a school that fits you better.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Texas 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:17 am

You non-Texans need to work on your 'southern hospitality' before comming here :(

I would say that Austin is a place that grows on ya, but I had the exact opposite effect. Loved it here when I first arrived, but have slowly grown indifferent to its charms. It is still nice here and I would love to live here, but you have to find the parts of it you like. For me it is the dining options and Longhorn sports along with the general sense of the city being alive (compared to the suburb in Houston where I grew up). There are also a lot of events, speeches, and general intellectual stuff to do that I like. Never go to school in a place you didn't immediately find something to like about it, though.

Pearalegal
Posts: 1433
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:50 am

Re: Texas 2013

Postby Pearalegal » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:38 am

Jericwithers wrote:You non-Texans need to work on your 'southern hospitality' before comming here :(


To be fair to the rest of us northerners, I think you're defining an attitude as a lack of southern hospitality differently than I would. Sometimes its just someone being a boob.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Texas 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:39 am

Pearalegal wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:You non-Texans need to work on your 'southern hospitality' before comming here :(


To be fair to the rest of us northerners, I think you're defining an attitude as a lack of southern hospitality differently than I would. Sometimes its just someone being a boob.


Hah, well I can stand behind the action of calling a person a boob. Yet it is the passive aggressiveness that does not flow with the style down here.

Pearalegal
Posts: 1433
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:50 am

Re: Texas 2013

Postby Pearalegal » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:52 am

Jericwithers wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:You non-Texans need to work on your 'southern hospitality' before comming here :(


To be fair to the rest of us northerners, I think you're defining an attitude as a lack of southern hospitality differently than I would. Sometimes its just someone being a boob.


Hah, well I can stand behind the action of calling a person a boob. Yet it is the passive aggressiveness that does not flow with the style down here.


Thats why y'all have so many guns?

User avatar
mcflooter06
Posts: 263
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:33 pm

Re: Texas 2013

Postby mcflooter06 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:59 am

Pearalegal wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:You non-Texans need to work on your 'southern hospitality' before comming here :(


To be fair to the rest of us northerners, I think you're defining an attitude as a lack of southern hospitality differently than I would. Sometimes its just someone being a boob.


Hah, well I can stand behind the action of calling a person a boob. Yet it is the passive aggressiveness that does not flow with the style down here.


Thats why y'all have so many guns?



:D

Pearalegal
Posts: 1433
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:50 am

Re: Texas 2013

Postby Pearalegal » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:20 pm

mcflooter06 wrote:

:D


Haha, I'm actually just from the mid-atlantic and went to school in the south. After four years in North Carolina, the y'all stuck.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Texas 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:51 pm

Pearalegal wrote:Thats why y'all have so many guns?


Nothing passive aggressive about owning guns, just aggressive.

I am also probably a reject Texan as I have never shot a gun.

Pearalegal
Posts: 1433
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:50 am

Re: Texas 2013

Postby Pearalegal » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:53 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:Thats why y'all have so many guns?


Nothing passive aggressive about owning guns, just aggressive.

I am also probably a reject Texan as I have never shot a gun.


Haha, thats what I was saying.

While raised on the east coast, I come from Missouri people. I was taught gun safety as a toddler.

User avatar
UTaylor526
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:45 am

Re: Texas 2013

Postby UTaylor526 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:07 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:You non-Texans need to work on your 'southern hospitality' before comming here :(


To be fair to the rest of us northerners, I think you're defining an attitude as a lack of southern hospitality differently than I would. Sometimes its just someone being a boob.


Hah, well I can stand behind the action of calling a person a boob. Yet it is the passive aggressiveness that does not flow with the style down here.


Thats why y'all have so many guns?


Ever seen the TV series Jericho?

User avatar
soonergirl
Posts: 311
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:26 pm

Re: Texas 2013

Postby soonergirl » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:28 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:Thats why y'all have so many guns?


Nothing passive aggressive about owning guns, just aggressive.

I am also probably a reject Texan as I have never shot a gun.


Haha, thats what I was saying.

While raised on the east coast, I come from Missouri people. I was taught gun safety as a toddler.


wait, do I have to have a gun to move to Texas?

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Texas 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:49 pm

soonergirl wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:Thats why y'all have so many guns?


Nothing passive aggressive about owning guns, just aggressive.

I am also probably a reject Texan as I have never shot a gun.


Haha, thats what I was saying.

While raised on the east coast, I come from Missouri people. I was taught gun safety as a toddler.


wait, do I have to have a gun to move to Texas?


No

But you need one to claim residency :lol:

User avatar
UTaylor526
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:45 am

Re: Texas 2013

Postby UTaylor526 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:56 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
No

But you need one to claim residency :lol:


+1000

User avatar
adrib
Posts: 283
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:03 pm

Re: Texas 2013

Postby adrib » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:10 pm

UTaylor526 wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
No

But you need one to claim residency :lol:


+1000

*makes note to ask for gun for her birthday*

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Texas 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:16 pm

adrib wrote:
UTaylor526 wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
No

But you need one to claim residency :lol:


+1000

*makes note to ask for gun for her birthday*


No need, just keep your eyes open for offers like these: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7416120.stm

Pearalegal
Posts: 1433
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:50 am

Re: Texas 2013

Postby Pearalegal » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:38 pm

Bah-ha. Totally just found the place I'm going to be living at. I think its hilarious.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Texas 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:47 pm

Pearalegal wrote:Bah-ha. Totally just found the place I'm going to be living at. I think its hilarious.


Where? PM of worried about stalkers (besides me).

de5igual
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:52 pm

Re: Texas 2013

Postby de5igual » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:15 pm

i want a gun!!

should we organize a shooting range or skeet shooting trip sometime?

User avatar
UTaylor526
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:45 am

Re: Texas 2013

Postby UTaylor526 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:17 pm

f0bolous wrote:i want a gun!!

should we organize a shooting range or skeet shooting trip sometime?


Why not just use the on-campus gun range? :)

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Texas 2013

Postby Jericwithers » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:19 pm

f0bolous wrote:i want a gun!!

should we organize a shooting range or skeet shooting trip sometime?


Hah! Only at UT (or possibly UVA).
UTaylor526 wrote:Why not just use the on-campus gun range? :)


Fo realz?? Maybe Whitman was just a bad aim? (Too soon?)

de5igual
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:52 pm

Re: Texas 2013

Postby de5igual » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:24 pm

UTaylor526 wrote:
f0bolous wrote:i want a gun!!

should we organize a shooting range or skeet shooting trip sometime?


Why not just use the on-campus gun range? :)

:shock: didn't realize there was one

shit, well i better get a gun now

de5igual
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:52 pm

Re: Texas 2013

Postby de5igual » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:25 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
f0bolous wrote:i want a gun!!

should we organize a shooting range or skeet shooting trip sometime?


Hah! Only at UT (or possibly UVA).


i think at any school south of the mason dixon line, this could be a possibility

User avatar
soonergirl
Posts: 311
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:26 pm

Re: Texas 2013

Postby soonergirl » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:00 pm

UTaylor526 wrote:
f0bolous wrote:i want a gun!!

should we organize a shooting range or skeet shooting trip sometime?


Why not just use the on-campus gun range? :)


please tell me you're kidding.




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest