Texas 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
rputt3256

New

Re: Texas 2013

Post by rputt3256 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:10 am

how difficult is it to be in the top 25% of your class? Does it require a lot more sacrifices than say, remaining in the top 40%? Are the job opportunities that much more lucrative for top 25?

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:23 am

rputt3256 wrote:how difficult is it to be in the top 25% of your class? Does it require a lot more sacrifices than say, remaining in the top 40%? Are the job opportunities that much more lucrative for top 25?
I just said top 25% because I know Texas only gives 2 pieces of ranking information for OCI: top 25% and top 50%. Not sure of the practical differences though.

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:26 am

rputt3256 wrote:how difficult is it to be in the top 25% of your class? Does it require a lot more sacrifices than say, remaining in the top 40%? Are the job opportunities that much more lucrative for top 25?
In regards to difficulty, that can't really be answered. Everything is on a curve, and everyone is smart. You pretty much have to work your butt off and hope you do better than enough other people to get a good grade. And as Jeric said, UT only releases the info for top 25% and median, so its hard to know what one's class rank is.

Regarding job opportunities, I don't really know yet. 1L summer jobs are more driven by personality and work experience than by grades, and we haven't gone through 2L OCI yet. But from what the CW is around here, given the job market, I would guess the difference between top 25% and top 40% or median might be the difference between getting big law unless and getting big law if. If you get what I mean.

grrrstick

Bronze

Post by grrrstick » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:29 am

95% sure I'll be in Austin next year. Pretty excited, even for a lifelong Aggie fan.

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:38 am

Last edited by Jericwithers on Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

adrib

Bronze

Post by adrib » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:41 am

did you guys already get your sweet swag for sending in your deposit? I got a burnt orange bandana that says UT Law Class of 2013, a notepad thing with the same thing, and some OMG AWESOME dark chocolate made locally. Honestly, even if UT hadn't been my first choice, the chocolate would have won me over.

adrib

Bronze

Post by adrib » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:44 am

grrrstick wrote:95% sure I'll be in Austin next year. Pretty excited, even for a lifelong Aggie fan.
woah. your stats are amazing! i don't know if i should be stoked or terrified. :D

philosoraptor

Silver

Post by philosoraptor » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:21 pm

adrib wrote:did you guys already get your sweet swag for sending in your deposit? I got a burnt orange bandana that says UT Law Class of 2013, a notepad thing with the same thing, and some OMG AWESOME dark chocolate made locally. Honestly, even if UT hadn't been my first choice, the chocolate would have won me over.
Way to distract me the rest of the day with daydreams of delicious chocolate waiting for me in my mailbox.

mcflooter06

Bronze

Post by mcflooter06 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:34 pm

philosoraptor wrote:
adrib wrote:did you guys already get your sweet swag for sending in your deposit? I got a burnt orange bandana that says UT Law Class of 2013, a notepad thing with the same thing, and some OMG AWESOME dark chocolate made locally. Honestly, even if UT hadn't been my first choice, the chocolate would have won me over.
Way to distract me the rest of the day with daydreams of delicious chocolate waiting for me in my mailbox.
Pfft yeah thaks Adrib! Uh oh, it may melt.. Awesome Texas weather. :-/

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

catharsis

Bronze

Post by catharsis » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:41 pm

philosoraptor wrote:
ditto! i havent gotten anything yet but if i dont have this chocolate you speak of im going to be a little disappointed the rest of the day lol

mcflooter06

Bronze

Post by mcflooter06 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:01 pm

catharsis wrote:
philosoraptor wrote:
ditto! i havent gotten anything yet but if i dont have this chocolate you speak of im going to be a little disappointed the rest of the day lol

Just got mine :D

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:06 pm

mcflooter06 wrote:
catharsis wrote:
philosoraptor wrote:

Just got mine :D
Chocolate goo? If I had gotten it in Austin today it would have been.

mcflooter06

Bronze

Post by mcflooter06 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:09 pm

Jericwithers wrote:

Haha no, which is surprising. Its pushing 80 here today, whoooo!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:21 pm

Last edited by Jericwithers on Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mcflooter06

Bronze

Post by mcflooter06 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:31 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
mcflooter06 wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

Haha no, which is surprising. Its pushing 80 here today, whoooo!
84 here, a bit hot but I better get used to it again for at least the next 4 months (a perfect 74 in Durham though :D ).
Haha I loved how everyone in Austin thought Dallas was cold.. Looking forward to the even hotter weather down there!

catharsis

Bronze

Post by catharsis » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:32 pm

just got my stuff! however the chocolate is in fact melted.. BADLY. it was oozing out of the package lmao.

however, im going to wear my bandana to MMA practice tonight and finally be taken seriously. :D

adrib

Bronze

Post by adrib » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:48 pm

catharsis wrote:just got my stuff! however the chocolate is in fact melted.. BADLY. it was oozing out of the package lmao.

however, im going to wear my bandana to MMA practice tonight and finally be taken seriously. :D
oh noes! i guess yesterday was less warm, so my chocolate was safe. you'll just have to take my word on its epicness. ;)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mcflooter06

Bronze

Post by mcflooter06 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:03 pm

adrib wrote:
catharsis wrote:just got my stuff! however the chocolate is in fact melted.. BADLY. it was oozing out of the package lmao.

oh noes! i guess yesterday was less warm, so my chocolate was safe. you'll just have to take my word on its epicness. ;)
Omg you were right (not that there was any doubt!).. that was SO good!!

batmansion

New

Post by batmansion » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:13 pm

Last edited by batmansion on Sun May 23, 2010 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:57 pm

If I lived in Clarksville, right by Pease Park, would I feel isolated?

I found a fantastic studio garage apartment thing with this wrap around porch that was GORGEOUSLY refinished. Its a little small, but has three doors that open onto the tiled porch/deck. I was planning on a one bedroom, but then this came along and seems so cute and different.

I'm worried about the location though, do you think its ok?

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:15 am

By Clarksville, I mean north east of the area google maps calls Old West Austin.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

UTaylor526

Bronze

Post by UTaylor526 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:50 pm

Pearalegal wrote:If I lived in Clarksville, right by Pease Park, would I feel isolated?

I found a fantastic studio garage apartment thing with this wrap around porch that was GORGEOUSLY refinished. Its a little small, but has three doors that open onto the tiled porch/deck. I was planning on a one bedroom, but then this came along and seems so cute and different.

Depends on you. Do you mainly study at home, at the library, or some other public place? Are you fairly sociable (or at least what will be considered sociable in law school)?

How isolated you feel is dependent upon your actions. If you are fearful of becoming the crazy cat lady without friends close by to pull you out of your dungeon, then yes -I would consider it a risk. Overall, you are not far for campus and could make your way things fairly easily but are not in a high-student area where you will be guaranteed to have other people your age living in the complex next to you.

philosoraptor

Silver

Post by philosoraptor » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:06 pm

UTaylor526 wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:If I lived in Clarksville, right by Pease Park, would I feel isolated?

Depends on you. Do you mainly study at home, at the library, or some other public place? Are you fairly sociable (or at least what will be considered sociable in law school)?

How isolated you feel is dependent upon your actions. If you are fearful of becoming the crazy cat lady without friends close by to pull you out of your dungeon, then yes -I would consider it a risk. Overall, you are not far for campus and could make your way things fairly easily but are not in a high-student area where you will be guaranteed to have other people your age living in the complex next to you.
Simple solution to ward off feelings of isolation: Step 1 -- buy copious amounts of booze. Step 2 -- invite all your favorite TLSers over to help you consume it. Pretty much the definition of win-win(-win).

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:39 pm

UTaylor526 wrote: If you are fearful of becoming the crazy cat lady without friends close by to pull you out of your dungeon, then yes -I would consider it a risk.
philosoraptor wrote:Simple solution to ward off feelings of isolation: Step 1 -- buy copious amounts of booze. Step 2 -- invite all your favorite TLSers over to help you consume it. Pretty much the definition of win-win(-win).
Both of these posts were a win. Honestly, I've never been so insecure about picked out a damn apartment on my own until I decided to move across the country for law school school. I'm irritating myself.

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:02 pm

the bat chocolate looks so delicate. i'm afraid to eat it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”