Texas 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
soonergirl

Bronze

Re: Texas 2013

Post by soonergirl » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:19 pm

castellon wrote:I just mean it wasn't a huge change. It was kind of like a way better version of Norman, if that makes sense...
No, I know *exactly* what you mean. This part of the country is pretty monolithic, even the "blue" parts. I just thought it was funny that you're evaluating law schools, but there was nothing in there about, you know, law school. But then I can't talk...when I was evaluating schools I took weather and football into account.

imisscollege

Bronze

Post by imisscollege » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:46 am

PartyOfOne wrote:
imisscollege wrote:
I was also a bit underwhelmed by Austin as a city. I expected ridiculous looking girls and an amazing bar scene. The girls were fine looking but nothing out of control. Some cute ones some not, pretty standard. The bar scene was decent but very comparable to areas in Boston, DC, and NY before. Don't get me wrong-- a sizeable bar scene certainly exists and makes its presence known and there unquestionably are attractive girls but it doesn't blow other cities away in terms of its night life, as I had expected it to based on what I had heard.
I think you missed a lot of what Austin has to offer. Many people mistakenly believe the thing that makes Austin great is 6th St alone. But as you said, many cities offer comparable bar scenes, and honestly the raucous undergrad bar scene can get old pretty fast, even if Austin's is top notch.

Go back to Austin and visit the incredible streams and trails of Greenbelt, Barton Springs, or the lake; check out the seemingly infinite supply of great independent restaurants and boutiques around South 1st, South Congress, Hyde Park, Eastside, etc; or attend any of the unbelievable music, art, or film festivals regularly hosted in the city. Then tell me if you're still underwhelmed by this exciting, vibrant, young city.

As for attractive girls, I can only humbly suggest that you take another look and/or consult an optometrist.
I mean I did--I didn't just stay on 6th. I went to Barton springs and it was cool but I don't think having that compares to having a real ocean an hour or less away. I went for a couple long runs while I was there and saw a couple of the areas to which you refer. And I totally get how Austin has great music/art festivals but I don't know I just don't think I care. It's kind of like how, as a musician, I totally get how people can be really into Bach, etc. and I respect that. But it's not something I would ever want to listen to in my free time. And you would think that as a musician I would be really into all the live music but I'm just....not. I don't know I had a fun time when i visited but I'm just not sure the city is for me.

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:49 am

imisscollege wrote: I mean I did--I didn't just stay on 6th. I went to Barton springs and it was cool but I don't think having that compares to having a real ocean an hour or less away. I went for a couple long runs while I was there and saw a couple of the areas to which you refer. And I totally get how Austin has great music/art festivals but I don't know I just don't think I care. It's kind of like how, as a musician, I totally get how people can be really into Bach, etc. and I respect that. But it's not something I would ever want to listen to in my free time. And you would think that as a musician I would be really into all the live music but I'm just....not. I don't know I had a fun time when i visited but I'm just not sure the city is for me.
Great, its not for everyone, good luck with your other schools! I'm not sure if you're looking for any advice, because I didn't see any questions about the city...but buh-bye and hope you find a school that fits you better.

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:17 am

You non-Texans need to work on your 'southern hospitality' before comming here :(

I would say that Austin is a place that grows on ya, but I had the exact opposite effect. Loved it here when I first arrived, but have slowly grown indifferent to its charms. It is still nice here and I would love to live here, but you have to find the parts of it you like. For me it is the dining options and Longhorn sports along with the general sense of the city being alive (compared to the suburb in Houston where I grew up). There are also a lot of events, speeches, and general intellectual stuff to do that I like. Never go to school in a place you didn't immediately find something to like about it, though.

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:38 am

Jericwithers wrote:You non-Texans need to work on your 'southern hospitality' before comming here :(
To be fair to the rest of us northerners, I think you're defining an attitude as a lack of southern hospitality differently than I would. Sometimes its just someone being a boob.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:39 am

Pearalegal wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:You non-Texans need to work on your 'southern hospitality' before comming here :(
To be fair to the rest of us northerners, I think you're defining an attitude as a lack of southern hospitality differently than I would. Sometimes its just someone being a boob.
Hah, well I can stand behind the action of calling a person a boob. Yet it is the passive aggressiveness that does not flow with the style down here.

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:52 am

Jericwithers wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:
Hah, well I can stand behind the action of calling a person a boob. Yet it is the passive aggressiveness that does not flow with the style down here.
Thats why y'all have so many guns?

mcflooter06

Bronze

Post by mcflooter06 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:59 am

Pearalegal wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:

:D

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:20 pm

mcflooter06 wrote:

:D
Haha, I'm actually just from the mid-atlantic and went to school in the south. After four years in North Carolina, the y'all stuck.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:51 pm

Pearalegal wrote:Thats why y'all have so many guns?
Nothing passive aggressive about owning guns, just aggressive.

I am also probably a reject Texan as I have never shot a gun.

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:53 pm

Jericwithers wrote:

Haha, thats what I was saying.

While raised on the east coast, I come from Missouri people. I was taught gun safety as a toddler.

UTaylor526

Bronze

Post by UTaylor526 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:07 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:
Ever seen the TV series Jericho?

soonergirl

Bronze

Post by soonergirl » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:28 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

While raised on the east coast, I come from Missouri people. I was taught gun safety as a toddler.
wait, do I have to have a gun to move to Texas?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:49 pm

soonergirl wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

wait, do I have to have a gun to move to Texas?
No

But you need one to claim residency :lol:

UTaylor526

Bronze

Post by UTaylor526 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:56 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
No

+1000

adrib

Bronze

Post by adrib » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:10 pm

UTaylor526 wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
No

+1000
*makes note to ask for gun for her birthday*

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:16 pm

adrib wrote:
UTaylor526 wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
No

+1000
*makes note to ask for gun for her birthday*
No need, just keep your eyes open for offers like these: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7416120.stm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:38 pm

Bah-ha. Totally just found the place I'm going to be living at. I think its hilarious.

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:47 pm

Pearalegal wrote:Bah-ha. Totally just found the place I'm going to be living at. I think its hilarious.
Where? PM of worried about stalkers (besides me).

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:15 pm

i want a gun!!

should we organize a shooting range or skeet shooting trip sometime?

UTaylor526

Bronze

Post by UTaylor526 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:17 pm

f0bolous wrote:i want a gun!!

Why not just use the on-campus gun range? :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:19 pm

Hah! Only at UT (or possibly UVA).
UTaylor526 wrote:Why not just use the on-campus gun range? :)
Fo realz?? Maybe Whitman was just a bad aim? (Too soon?)

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:24 pm

UTaylor526 wrote:

:shock: didn't realize there was one

shit, well i better get a gun now

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:25 pm

Jericwithers wrote:

Hah! Only at UT (or possibly UVA).
i think at any school south of the mason dixon line, this could be a possibility

soonergirl

Bronze

Post by soonergirl » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:00 pm

UTaylor526 wrote:

please tell me you're kidding.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”