Texas 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
penni_rose

Bronze

Re: Texas 2013

Post by penni_rose » Wed May 19, 2010 10:45 am

Hello, all. I just finished 1L at UT Law. I want to welcome all of you to the school. If you have any questions about the school, please let me know. I don't check these forums much any more, but I'll try to answer quickly.

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Wed May 19, 2010 2:23 pm

thanks to mcflooter for showing me this:
--LinkRemoved--

for the locals or current UT students - is this too far if i'm commuting daily? without traffic, it should be around 15 min each way. based on google maps, if i take public transit, though, it'll be over an hour each way.

i'm about to send in an application and deposit, but wanted some last minute advice. gracias!

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Wed May 19, 2010 2:25 pm

f0bolous wrote:thanks to mcflooter for showing me this:
--LinkRemoved--

for the locals or current UT students - is this too far if i'm commuting daily? without traffic, it should be around 15 min each way. based on google maps, if i take public transit, though, it'll be over an hour each way.

i'm about to send in an application and deposit, but wanted some last minute advice. gracias!
That's too far IMO. But I place a premium on proximity to campus

adrib

Bronze

Post by adrib » Wed May 19, 2010 3:03 pm

--LinkRemoved--

damn, those are some sweet prices! i am so jealous of all of you that have already secured a place. i can't wait till we find out where my husband will work so we can find a place.

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Wed May 19, 2010 3:13 pm

kittenmittons wrote:
--LinkRemoved--

Yeah, that could turn into a pretty rough commute. Austin traffic is busy enough to draw the commute out, and for late nights in the library as well as social outings and such...might turn into a much bigger pain in the butt than wanted.

I more fall in line with kittenmittons though. My place is a 15 min walk.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mcflooter06

Bronze

Post by mcflooter06 » Wed May 19, 2010 3:14 pm

kittenmittons wrote:
--LinkRemoved--

It is a little further than I wanted, but they really are a pretty awesome find. Brand new, cheap rent, no pet weight limits. I commuted about an hour each way to my undergrad... 15-30 minutes seems sweeeet. I'm also used to incredibly heavy traffic being from Dallas, so Austin's morning commute didn't bother me when I tested it out.
Last edited by mcflooter06 on Wed May 19, 2010 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Wed May 19, 2010 3:16 pm

mcflooter06 wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:
--LinkRemoved--

It is a little further than I wanted, but they really are a pretty awesome find. Brand new, cheap rent, no pet weight limits. I commuted about an hour each way to my undergrad... 15-30 minutes seems sweeeet. I'm also used to incredibly heavy traffic being from Dallas, so Austin's morning commute didn't bother me.
Dear lord. I lived within a 10 minute walk to campus in UG all four years. I didn't realize how spoiled I was!

mcflooter06

Bronze

Post by mcflooter06 » Wed May 19, 2010 3:16 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
mcflooter06 wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:
--LinkRemoved--

It is a little further than I wanted, but they really are a pretty awesome find. Brand new, cheap rent, no pet weight limits. I commuted about an hour each way to my undergrad... 15-30 minutes seems sweeeet. I'm also used to incredibly heavy traffic being from Dallas, so Austin's morning commute didn't bother me.
Dear lord. I lived within a 10 minute walk to campus in UG all four years. I didn't realize how spoiled I was!
Yeaaah.. it was absolutely ridiculous.

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Wed May 19, 2010 3:19 pm

mcflooter06 wrote:

Well, they definitely look like great apartments. Being able to walk to campus was just more important to me, though it took a long time to find a place that didn't make me want to die inside.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mcflooter06

Bronze

Post by mcflooter06 » Wed May 19, 2010 3:24 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
mcflooter06 wrote:

Well, they definitely look like great apartments. Being able to walk to campus was just more important to me, though it took a long time to find a place that didn't make me want to die inside.
Haha I know EXACTLY what you mean..

catharsis

Bronze

Post by catharsis » Wed May 19, 2010 4:17 pm

mcflooter06 wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:
mcflooter06 wrote:

Haha I know EXACTLY what you mean..
and i know how you feel! it took me about an hour commute on a GOOD day for undergrad lol so im with ya on a 15-30 minute drive being a steal lol. the apartment looks really nice! go for it f0bolous!

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Wed May 19, 2010 5:08 pm

Tech Ridge and Parmer is way the hell too far away IMO. One guy in my section lived up there this year, and is moving closer for 2L. I'm not even that far away, and I'm definitely moving closer for 2L. There's no reason you can't commute, but believe me, come finals time, or OCI, or meet and greets, or just for going out and having to take a taxi home, you will hate yourself for living so far away. ESPECIALLY when you are outlining for finals. A 30 minute morning commute is 30 minutes less outlining.

You're going to be a law student....if you're single, you really shouldn't care where you live, as long as its close to school, safe, and it has basic amenities.

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Wed May 19, 2010 5:32 pm

Esc wrote:Tech Ridge and Parmer is way the hell too far away IMO. One guy in my section lived up there this year, and is moving closer for 2L. I'm not even that far away, and I'm definitely moving closer for 2L. There's no reason you can't commute, but believe me, come finals time, or OCI, or meet and greets, or just for going out and having to take a taxi home, you will hate yourself for living so far away. ESPECIALLY when you are outlining for finals. A 30 minute morning commute is 30 minutes less outlining.

You're going to be a law student....if you're single, you really shouldn't care where you live, as long as its close to school, safe, and it has basic amenities.
ok i'm scared now...i need something fairly affordable...with covered parking and washer/dryer included. everything closer runs closer to $1000+ :?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mcflooter06

Bronze

Post by mcflooter06 » Wed May 19, 2010 5:34 pm

Esc wrote:Tech Ridge and Parmer is way the hell too far away IMO. One guy in my section lived up there this year, and is moving closer for 2L. I'm not even that far away, and I'm definitely moving closer for 2L. There's no reason you can't commute, but believe me, come finals time, or OCI, or meet and greets, or just for going out and having to take a taxi home, you will hate yourself for living so far away. ESPECIALLY when you are outlining for finals. A 30 minute morning commute is 30 minutes less outlining.

Well, by far the biggest problem I had was finding a place for a reasonable price that would allow my 50 pound Basset near campus. I also had a lot of personal considerations that went into my decision, and I realize it will definitely be a pain sometimes.

mcflooter06

Bronze

Post by mcflooter06 » Wed May 19, 2010 5:36 pm

f0bolous wrote:

ok i'm scared now...i need something fairly affordable...with covered parking and washer/dryer included. everything closer runs closer to $1000+ :?
Lol, that was one of the big reasons I had to go with something else. Sorry, I need that washer in dryer in the unit. Laundry takes way too much time. A realtor flat out told me that I wasn't going to find anything in Hyde Park that would allow my dog and had a w/d in unit. *sigh*

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Wed May 19, 2010 6:03 pm

--LinkRemoved--

how's this place? it's a little pricey, but is the price difference worth the difference in commute times? it's still kind of far off :(

The Sound Of Truth

New

Post by The Sound Of Truth » Wed May 19, 2010 6:14 pm

f0bolous wrote:--LinkRemoved--

how's this place? it's a little pricey, but is the price difference worth the difference in commute times? it's still kind of far off :(
Sent you a pm about apartments, I was just in town last week looking at a number of different ones.

I don't know anything about this one though

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Wed May 19, 2010 6:33 pm

I've been watching those apartments going up over the last year. That's much closer and much better, especially if you are driving - Burnet usually moves at a decent pace even in rush hour. 10-15 minutes to campus (call it 15 at rush hour, but could be shorter) by car, plus the city 3 bus runs down Burnet. Its also located near a couple roads with pretty decent bike lanes, so if you like to bike you can get to campus in 20-25 minutes.

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Wed May 19, 2010 6:48 pm

Esc wrote:

I've been watching those apartments going up over the last year. That's much closer and much better, especially if you are driving - Burnet usually moves at a decent pace even in rush hour. 10-15 minutes to campus (call it 15 at rush hour, but could be shorter) by car, plus the city 3 bus runs down Burnet. Its also located near a couple roads with pretty decent bike lanes, so if you like to bike you can get to campus in 20-25 minutes.
crap, with utilities and everything, it'll probably come close to $1200. Housing costs are f'in insane.

penni_rose

Bronze

Post by penni_rose » Wed May 19, 2010 7:16 pm

I heartily disagree. I live in Cedar Park. The commute is a little over an hour each way on the train and/or bus. I'm not moving closer. It just depends on your personal style. I prefer to study at home and my husband works on weekends, so I'm alone and can get plenty of work done. I did all of my outlining at home and had no trouble finishing it and studying just fine for finals. It's a personal decision that you should make. My husband works in Cedar Park, and it made more sense for me to commute. If you're not going to study at the school, you might as well be comfortable at home.

Note on Cedar Park: way cheaper. I spend well under $1000 total for a 1 bedroom. It'll be close to $1000 for a two bedroom.
Last edited by penni_rose on Wed May 19, 2010 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

penni_rose

Bronze

Post by penni_rose » Wed May 19, 2010 7:26 pm

Also, Esc, Should've known I'd find you here. Feel like telling me which one of my classmates you are yet?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

batmansion

New

Post by batmansion » Wed May 19, 2010 7:31 pm

Last edited by batmansion on Sun May 23, 2010 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

nukelaloosh

New

Post by nukelaloosh » Thu May 20, 2010 9:05 am

mcflooter06 wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:
--LinkRemoved--

It is a little further than I wanted, but they really are a pretty awesome find. Brand new, cheap rent, no pet weight limits. I commuted about an hour each way to my undergrad... 15-30 minutes seems sweeeet. I'm also used to incredibly heavy traffic being from Dallas, so Austin's morning commute didn't bother me when I tested it out.
You'll be just fine in that location. 35 gets real busy in the morning but its not any worse than any other major city during rush hour. And I'm sure you could find a way to avoid it by using surface streets if you want to.

I'd also like to point out that a 15-min walk is equivalent to a 15-min drive, minus the exercise.

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Thu May 20, 2010 10:43 am

penni_rose wrote: I heartily disagree. I live in Cedar Park. The commute is a little over an hour each way on the train and/or bus. I'm not moving closer. It just depends on your personal style. I prefer to study at home and my husband works on weekends, so I'm alone and can get plenty of work done. I did all of my outlining at home and had no trouble finishing it and studying just fine for finals. It's a personal decision that you should make. My husband works in Cedar Park, and it made more sense for me to commute. If you're not going to study at the school, you might as well be comfortable at home.
I think it makes sense for you to live in that area because of your personal circumstances. I, as a single, sort of get a little depressed over the idea of commuting an hour each way to come home to uh, me. Others might not be as needy, but because I'm moving to a new place by myself, I wanted to be as close to the goings ons at the school and the grad bars/coffee shops in Hyde Park. I'd like to be able to walk to Trudys or go downtown or whatever, have a few drinks, and not have to always worry about driving or the cost of a cab to a farther apartment.

Its definitely a personal choice, and a main goal of mine was to find a place that could be all cute and homey so I would be happy. I just sort of accepted I would be paying more than my ideal to get it and be walking distance to school.

While a 15 minute drive and walk will take the same amount of time, I didn't want to have to worry about parking on campus (it could be totally different at UT, but at my undergrad when I had my parking pass it was still like a street fight to get spaces in the good garages sometimes).

Anyways, was just trying to say that there are more reasons than just studying that it might be a good idea to live close to campus, though either choice has its benefits.

philosoraptor

Silver

Post by philosoraptor » Thu May 20, 2010 11:03 am

I'll be in Hyde Park as well, for many of the same reasons as Pearalegal. Definitely want to be close to stuff and don't want to spend too much time commuting.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”