Texas 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
entrechatsix

Bronze

Re: Texas 2013

Post by entrechatsix » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:38 pm

mcflooter06 wrote:So, last night I watched my Mavericks demolish (hahaha, OK, lets be realistic here...) the Spurs, and I had a thought. I've been told that Austin is a rather large Spurs hub, I'm not going to be beaten up for wearing my Mavs shirt to class now am I? :( And, more importantly, sports bars?? I'm not an in-your-face super obnoxious sports fan (and I'll be the first to tell you that that the Mavericks are not even that great), but I support all of my Dallas teams with quite a bit of DFW pride.

This is serious!
i for one will not even notice/know what your shirt means

bigred82

New

Post by bigred82 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:48 pm

I think as long as you don't wear anything in crimson, you will probably be safe. ;)

catharsis

Bronze

Post by catharsis » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:59 pm

mcflooter06 wrote:So, last night I watched my Mavericks demolish (hahaha, OK, lets be realistic here...) the Spurs, and I had a thought. I've been told that Austin is a rather large Spurs hub, I'm not going to be beaten up for wearing my Mavs shirt to class now am I? :( And, more importantly, sports bars?? I'm not an in-your-face super obnoxious sports fan (and I'll be the first to tell you that that the Mavericks are not even that great), but I support all of my Dallas teams with quite a bit of DFW pride.

This is serious!
lol do you think the Mavs will take the series? i had so much belief in the Mavs that i put down money with the Mavs when they were down 2 games to 1 :D

since Austin doesnt have an NBA team i figured it would be split between the Spurs, Mavs, and Rockets. watch for my team (the Rockets) next year. with Yao healthy and our super young squad we're gunna be a force!

mcflooter06

Bronze

Post by mcflooter06 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:10 pm

catharsis wrote:

This is serious!
lol do you think the Mavs will take the series? i had so much belief in the Mavs that i put down money with the Mavs when they were down 2 games to 1 :D

since Austin doesnt have an NBA team i figured it would be split between the Spurs, Mavs, and Rockets. watch for my team (the Rockets) next year. with Yao healthy and our super young squad we're gunna be a force!
Well, given games 2,3, and 4... I'm not so sure. If they play like they did last night, they can definitely do it, but I'm not really counting on it too much. I just hate the Spurs, grrrrrrr.

I'm more of a football and hockey fan, anyway. ;)

yournamehere

New

Post by yournamehere » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:16 pm

i would say there are more spurs fans than anything else, but there are definitely fans of all three TX teams here. I don't really follow the NBA, but I haven't heard any shouting matches, and I'm sure any taunting is done in good fun.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

M_F_F_L

New

Post by M_F_F_L » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:30 pm

This is serious!
Shut your dirty mouth!!! The Mavs are a great team, and they will win this series. After their performance last night, the Spurs are too demoralized to win another game. I'm really hoping Najara commits another flagrant. Each one of the Spurs deserve it - especially Gi-nose-bleed. He's such a flopper.

P.S. Sorry to deviate from the topic of this thread. I'm just really fired up after last night. This will be my last regarding the NBA.

philosoraptor

Silver

Post by philosoraptor » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:37 pm

In general, Mark Cuban's antics amuse me. I would not be sad if he won a title.

mcflooter06

Bronze

Post by mcflooter06 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:41 pm

M_F_F_L wrote:

This is serious!
Shut your dirty mouth!!! The Mavs are a great team, and they will win this series. After their performance last night, the Spurs are too demoralized to win another game. I'm really hoping Najara commits another flagrant. Each one of the Spurs deserve it - especially Gi-nose-bleed. He's such a flopper.

P.S. Sorry to deviate from the topic of this thread. I'm just really fired up after last night. This will be my last regarding the NBA.
Whoa whoa whoa!! I said I was a Mavs supporter, no need to get angry. ;) I have a lot of pride for all of my Dallas teams, but the Mavs probably rank the lowest on my sports-love list, lol. They ARE a great team, I wasn't disagreeing, I meant to say that they're not the BEST, haha, is that better? Geez, I was just attempting to be diplomatic! If they play like they did last night tomorrow, they may very well win this series.

And I agree with you about those stupid Spurs... grrrrrrrrr.

At least now I know I won't be the only Mavs-shirt wearer at UT Law, lol.
Last edited by mcflooter06 on Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mcflooter06

Bronze

Post by mcflooter06 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:42 pm

philosoraptor wrote:In general, Mark Cuban's antics amuse me. I would not be sad if he won a title.
Hahaha the stuff with the SEC is quite intriguing..

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

M_F_F_L

New

Post by M_F_F_L » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:50 pm

mcflooter06 wrote:
M_F_F_L wrote:

This is serious!

Whoa whoa whoa!! I said I was a Mavs supporter, no need to get angry. ;) I have a lot of pride for all of my Dallas teams, but the Mavs probably rank the lowest on my sports-love list, lol. They ARE a great team, I wasn't disagreeing, I meant to say that they're not the BEST, haha, is that better? Geez, I was just attempting to be diplomatic! If they play like they did last night tomorrow, they may very well win this series.

Nope, I'll be wearing more blue than orange. Is that bad?

mcflooter06

Bronze

Post by mcflooter06 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:54 pm

M_F_F_L wrote:

hahaha it makes me so happy that I will be among Texas sports fans in law school.

If its any consolation, my boyfriend is a HUGE Mavs fan, so he makes up for my lackluster support. Its quite ridiculous, really. It gets me lots of free games, though. :-D

edit: quote fail... and idiot me JUST NOW understood your username. *sigh*

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:52 am

The first perk I've ever gotten as a paralegal. They put me on a flight to Asia with 6 hours warning for a week, but now I'm in the first class lounge waiting to fly home!

And have no one to talk to! Hi! On my first flight, one of my associates took my window seat because he likes the window seats but couldn't get one.

...I like the window seats...

JordynAsh

Bronze

Post by JordynAsh » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:30 pm

Pearalegal wrote:The first perk I've ever gotten as a paralegal. They put me on a flight to Asia with 6 hours warning for a week, but now I'm in the first class lounge waiting to fly home!

And have no one to talk to! Hi! On my first flight, one of my associates took my window seat because he likes the window seats but couldn't get one.

...I like the window seats...
What a toolish move! I hope you get a window seat on the flight home!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dancinginseptember

New

Post by dancinginseptember » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:47 pm

M_F_F_L wrote:
mcflooter06 wrote:
M_F_F_L wrote:

This is serious!

<3 mavs. but i gotta wear the orange during football season :)

i'll root for the cowboys too when they play and i watch. right now i'm up here in eagles territory where they HATEhatehate the cowboys. lol any other environment will be a welcome change. any other fans of the boys?

mcflooter06

Bronze

Post by mcflooter06 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:26 pm

dancinginseptember wrote:

i'll root for the cowboys too when they play and i watch. right now i'm up here in eagles territory where they HATEhatehate the cowboys. lol any other environment will be a welcome change. any other fans of the boys?

Meeeeee!! And I cannot tell you how much I HAAAATE the Eagles. I lived in PA for a while when I was little, and I have come to loathe anything to do with the state, agggh.

Jason Witten came into my place of employment the other day, tehehe.

Edit: And I love EWF, I think we're gonna get along very well! ;)

catharsis

Bronze

Post by catharsis » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:09 pm

for those who came out to the ASD dinner at Stubbs i went to HEB today to do some shopping and came across this.

i didn't know they sold their sauce in stores and i've never seen such a beautiful thing before.. much less on sale.. so of course i had to buy it. it was the best $2.88 i ever spent. :D

*sorry for the large pic. took it with my webcam and couldn't figure out how to resize it hehe.

bigred82

New

Post by bigred82 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:22 pm

Makes me hungry for brisket, fried okra, and macaroni and cheese! :)

In fact, I think I know what I'm going to have for dinner tonight.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Applicant2010

Bronze

Post by Applicant2010 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:15 pm

I knew Stubbs as a BBQ sauce before I knew Stubbs, the restaurant...It's impossible to describe how much better that sauce is than anything else sold in big grocery stores. Just used it to cook some oven baked ribs, amazing.

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:25 pm

dancinginseptember

New

Post by dancinginseptember » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:23 am

mcflooter06 wrote:

Meeeeee!! And I cannot tell you how much I HAAAATE the Eagles. I lived in PA for a while when I was little, and I have come to loathe anything to do with the state, agggh.

AWESOME!! hahaha that is so good to hear. all of it. cowboys viewing parties followed by EWF dancing parties . i like it. great ways to unwind as law students, yes? :)

mcflooter06

Bronze

Post by mcflooter06 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:04 pm

mcflooter06 wrote:

AWESOME!! hahaha that is so good to hear. all of it. cowboys viewing parties followed by EWF dancing parties . i like it. great ways to unwind as law students, yes? :)
haha agreed. can't wait!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

macunaima

New

Post by macunaima » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:31 pm

philosoraptor wrote: Also FYI, in case it helps anyone: I'm new to this loans thing, but Linda in the financial aid office told me the best strategy is to estimate costs conservatively instead of taking out too much too soon. She says it's easy to increase later if need be (just fwiw).
Why should that be the case? As long as we're talking about subsidized loans, I would've thought that the best strategy is to take out as many loans as you are eligible for. Whatever you don't use, put it in an interest-bearing account and you earn money for nothing (like on MTV).

What am I missing?

Oh, by the way. This is my first post in this thread. I'm riding a couple of waitlists on the east coast, but I'm mostly likely coming to Austin in the fall. Hi y'all.

philosoraptor

Silver

Post by philosoraptor » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:27 pm

macunaima wrote:
philosoraptor wrote: Also FYI, in case it helps anyone: I'm new to this loans thing, but Linda in the financial aid office told me the best strategy is to estimate costs conservatively instead of taking out too much too soon. She says it's easy to increase later if need be (just fwiw).
Why should that be the case? As long as we're talking about subsidized loans, I would've thought that the best strategy is to take out as many loans as you are eligible for. Whatever you don't use, put it in an interest-bearing account and you earn money for nothing (like on MTV).

What am I missing?

Oh, by the way. This is my first post in this thread. I'm riding a couple of waitlists on the east coast, but I'm mostly likely coming to Austin in the fall. Hi y'all.
Problem is, only ~$8K a year is subsidized. The rest starts racking up interest the second it hits your account, so I guess that's why it makes sense not to take out any more than you know you'll need. I dunno. It's tough to budget for an area I've never lived in. I probably requested more than I needed on the EFAN. I'll just pay it back, or at least stay ahead of the interest on it, if I don't need it.

Welcome, btw.

macunaima

New

Post by macunaima » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:46 pm

philosoraptor wrote:Problem is, only ~$8K a year is subsidized. The rest starts racking up interest the second it hits your account, so I guess that's why it makes sense not to take out any more than you know you'll need. I dunno. It's tough to budget for an area I've never lived in. I probably requested more than I needed on the EFAN. I'll just pay it back, or at least stay ahead of the interest on it, if I don't need it.

Welcome, btw.

Ah. I didn't know that. Thanks.

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Sat May 01, 2010 12:42 am

philosoraptor wrote:
macunaima wrote:

What am I missing?

Problem is, only ~$8K a year is subsidized. The rest starts racking up interest the second it hits your account, so I guess that's why it makes sense not to take out any more than you know you'll need. I dunno. It's tough to budget for an area I've never lived in. I probably requested more than I needed on the EFAN. I'll just pay it back, or at least stay ahead of the interest on it, if I don't need it.

Welcome, btw.
You'd be surprised how much money you run through. Incidental expenses really rack up. $30 to join a student group, or $20 for new printer cartridge, and etc., add up really quickly. And don't forget, for those of you who don't already have a wardrobe from previous work or whatever, will need to purchase a decent suit, shirts, shoes, etc. That's a chunk right there.

And probably worst of all, in the last few weeks of the semester you pretty much run a tab at your favorite coffeeshop or whatever. that is $$$

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”