Texas 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
grrrstick

Bronze

Re: Texas 2013

Post by grrrstick » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:58 pm

I'll be in Austin in a few weeks. If you are already there, make sure to check out the places on Guadalupe (Hole in the Wall, etc.) that the undergrads ruin once they get back.

If any of us are still skulking around Houston, I'd be happy to do a meet-up around here.

Estrellas

New

Post by Estrellas » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:14 pm

I'm here in Austin!! I'm going to wander around campus and grab some dinner later. So if you're around and bored pm me

UTaylor526

Bronze

Post by UTaylor526 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:29 am

HAPPY HOUR TONIGHT!!!

Crown & Anchor Pub (near the law school)
5pm
Try to wear something UT but no worries if not.

I will be a little late because of work but will be there by 6.

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:11 am

can we do something in 2 weeks too? it's going to be my 25th bday and i don't know anyone in atx

UTaylor526

Bronze

Post by UTaylor526 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:29 am

f0bolous wrote:can we do something in 2 weeks too? it's going to be my 25th bday and i don't know anyone in atx
Of course. But by then you will have met everyone and that won't even be a concern. :)

I am planning an outing to an Express Game but anything anyone else wants to plan is also on the table.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

adrib

Bronze

Post by adrib » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:58 am

UTaylor526 wrote:HAPPY HOUR TONIGHT!!!

Crown & Anchor Pub (near the law school)
5pm
Try to wear something UT but no worries if not.

I will be a little late because of work but will be there by 6.
yessssssssssss, happy hour! i will be wearing burnt orange fo sho!

mcflooter06

Bronze

Post by mcflooter06 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:30 am

i'll be in ATX August 1-3ish moving some stuff in before i go back to DFW so i would love to see some classmates while i'm there. no cable or internet yet, i'll NEED something to do. hehe.

catharsis

Bronze

Post by catharsis » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:59 am

^ i'll definitely be there during that time!

fobolous, your 25th birthday will be a must..

and im definitely up for the Express game! never been to a minor league game before so it would be pretty sweet..

soonergirl

Bronze

Post by soonergirl » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:54 pm

The people buying our house lost their financing two hours before closing yesterday, so we weren't able to close, so we weren't able to move down. Bigger problem? All of our stuff is already on its way. :shock:

I am so sad. :(

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:54 am

@catharsis - keep your calendar open for 7/30...we will have to party it hard. i'm getting old :( it's all downhill after that

@soonergirl - omg that sucks! i'm so sorry to hear. hopefully you guys will be able to resolve that before school starts (or maybe rent it out in the meantime if possible)

so i decided to take V&E's offer on the law preview classes...seems pretty useless except for some outlining strategies. definitely not worth the $1300 or however much it is. i see some tls users in here too. :!:

UTaylor526

Bronze

Post by UTaylor526 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:29 am

Pretty funny intern blunder stories from this week's ABA update:

http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/articl ... _witnessed

UTaylor526

Bronze

Post by UTaylor526 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:31 am

Hmm... Tried to post this earlier today but it didn't show. If my message shows up later -sorry for the duplication.

Thanks to everyone who made it out to happy hour last night! I'm glad I got to introduce a few of the out-of-staters to Shiner Beer. :)

To everyone that showed up last night (Amarillo, Lubbock, Baltimore, and the others I haven't found a nickname for yet) the invitation still stands for the party tonight. PM me if you are interested or find me on facebook and I will send you the event link.

catharsis

Bronze

Post by catharsis » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:03 pm

UTaylor526 wrote:Pretty funny intern blunder stories from this week's ABA update:

http://www.abajournal.com/weekly/articl ... _witnessed
lol i really enjoyed that.. one of my favorites :lol: :
One Friday afternoon many years ago, a summer intern was asked to take a document to a client’s house for execution. The client lived in a secluded, expensive town outside of the city that would be about 45 min - 1 hour each way on a good day, let alone on a sunny Friday afternoon in the summer. The intern resisted, as he had other plans. The assigning lawyer gently insisted. The intern resisted again, saying it was too far to cab, and he didn’t have a car. The assigning lawyer told him to rent a car. Knowing he was defeated, the intern left the office, document in hand, to rent a car. His choice?

A Ferrari.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

UTaylor526

Bronze

Post by UTaylor526 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:03 pm

Is anyone else shopping for laptops?

Any thoughts on netbooks v. laptops? Anyone planning on just taking hand written notes to avoid the temptations of Facebook and Icanhazcheezeburger?

I know there are plenty of threads on this topic and don't want to get into the whole Mac v. PC debate -just wondering what my classmates were planning to use?

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:35 pm

I'm getting the 15" MacBook Pro. I love OS X and I want the OS versatility that Parallels or Boot Camp will provide.

I say laptop. Most netbook keyboards are a pain to type on for long periods of time.

And I'm absolutely not handwriting my notes. I type faster, I can't read my own writing, my hand will get tired... the list goes on.

The Sound Of Truth

New

Post by The Sound Of Truth » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:39 pm

No way in hell will I be handwriting. I plan on getting a 13" MBP...I think its like $1099 with educational pricing plus a free ipod touch.

UTaylor526

Bronze

Post by UTaylor526 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:46 pm

I for one am going PC but with a catch. I also have a fairly new desktop (under 1 year old) that I plan to use for my music, pictures, movies, etc. in addition to school. I will be using a cloud-share program to share documents between my droid, desktop, and laptop. Therefore, I only need a basic laptop with an emphasis on durability. I'm thinking min. 2 g of ram with the possibility to expand though...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

philosoraptor

Silver

Post by philosoraptor » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:15 pm

Handwritten notes are awesome. Keeps me from dicking around on the interwebs, doesn't make me think about formatting/editing, encourages me to type them right afterward (aka add to my outlines). Also, doodling helps me focus -- seriously.

BTW, I've left Connecticut forever! Took a few days to pack and move, but it's so worth it to be back in the South. Now the countdown to Austin begins. How was y'all's meetup?

Estrellas

New

Post by Estrellas » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:49 pm

I'm about to buy a 13" MacBook Pro. I've never owned a Mac before. I'm a little nervous. However, I've had no luck with any of my previous computers, so it's about time for a change!

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:01 pm

FYI about 50% of professors ban laptops and electronics in the classroom (exam-taking excepted), so it is unlikely that you will be able to get away from handwriting completely.

catharsis

Bronze

Post by catharsis » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:24 pm

i'll be definitely getting a new laptop. macbooks look sweet and all but i feel uncomfortable learning a new OS. probably getting an HP (14" or smaller) with a service plan b/c laptop batteries notoriously hate me for some reason.

i debated the idea of getting a netbooks since they are pretty cheap, super lightweight, and portable but i didnt want to sacrifice the processing power. plus i still want my cd/dvd slot.

i hate taking handwritten notes so i hope my odds of getting some professors who allow laptops in their rooms will be high hehe. my hand gets tired fast and unlike philosoraptor i can't focus while doodling :lol:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

UTaylor526

Bronze

Post by UTaylor526 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:15 pm

Ran by Best Buy earlier tonight and am now looking at the following laptops...
  • HP DM4-1065dx 500 gb HD 6 1/2 hr battery life
    Toshiba R705-P25 500 gb HD 8 hr battery life
There are a few other in consideration but those were by far the best. Unfortunately they were both around $700 and my budget is about $150 under that. Did I mention the HP had a fingerprint scanner? Frakkin sweet.

I am thinking criteria will be processor, RAM, battery life, size/weight, price and durability. Now if I can just assign weights to those I can create a ranking system to tell me which is the best machine! Hmm... might want to add CNET reviews as well.

Oh -on another note I began to look into an off-site storage system which will allow me to share documents and files between my desktop, phone, and laptop. I was all set on a cloud system like Sugar-Sync until I found out I could buy a system that hooks up to my router for roughly the same price ($170 one time price v. $50 annual subscription fee) that will give me a terrabyte of data compared to 30 g. Only downside is if I have spotty internet...

adrib

Bronze

Post by adrib » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:34 am

i've been wondering about computers, too. i think i will buy a Mac, to see what all the fuss is about, but I don't know which one. I am terrified of having a laptop in class. I am so awful at focusing when there are internets available.

bigred82

New

Post by bigred82 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:48 am

I've used laptops for school use for about 4 years and would never hand write unless I did not have the option to type. You can type so much faster than you can write - with more detail - and two giant words - post editing.

I bought a macbook pro 13" last summer, and I don't think I will ever go back to a Windows based OS again. (Having to use Windows at work is torture enough. The last thing I want is to have to deal with Windows on my own home pc. There are a few things about Macs that can be a pain to adjust to, but overall, I love OSX and highly recommend any Macbook. I have never been as pleased with any laptop or desktop (including ones that I built) as I have been with this MBP that I'm currently typing on. Just buy one with the least amount of HD space available, buy a larger HDD from newegg, switch them out, put the original HDD into an external case, and voila - an extra, external, portable hard drive.

Sell the printer (or keep the printer - it actually is pretty nifty) and sell the ipod, and you've already knocked off a good chunk from the initial cost. Oh, and don't forget to cover it with a case. (I prefer Speck for all my iPhone/MBP covering needs.)

bigred82

New

Post by bigred82 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:03 am

Regarding Windows based laptops, I saw the chart just the other day about laptop failure rates. I can't find it at the moment, but I recall seeing HP towards the top in failure rates. Between just those two you mentioned, I would go with Toshiba if for no other reason than to avoid HP.

Ah, here it is:
http://www.electronista.com/articles/09 ... 4th.place/

Asus best, HP worst for failure rates. Toshiba does really well apparently. Also note the failure rate between netbooks and laptops, as well as cheapo laptops vs premium laptops. Keep in mind of course that this survey was done by Square Trade, which sells aftermarket warranties, so the figures may be questionable as to their overall percentages. Apparently they surveyed 30,000 customers or laptops. Something like that. Either way, however they found their results, there still remains a significant difference between HP and Asus.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”