Texas 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
JordynAsh

Bronze

Re: Texas 2013

Post by JordynAsh » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:02 pm

Would anyone be interested in going to Trudy's (local Tex-Mex place) for $5 Mexican martinis and/or dinner tonight?

soonergirl

Bronze

Post by soonergirl » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:09 pm

JordynAsh wrote:
Read that as "Texas Stripper" at first.
me, too. Man Shack and Texas Stripper. lol. no, I'm not in the gutter...why do you ask?

Watto

New

Post by Watto » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:34 pm

JordynAsh wrote:Would anyone be interested in going to Trudy's (local Tex-Mex place) for $5 Mexican martinis and/or dinner tonight?

I would be-- pretty quick busride/walk for me.

adrib

Bronze

Post by adrib » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:41 pm

just got internet, after 11 awful days without it! doesn't look like I missed too much, though, thank goodness. are we meeting up tonight?

Watto

New

Post by Watto » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:31 pm

adrib wrote:just got internet, after 11 awful days without it! doesn't look like I missed too much, though, thank goodness. are we meeting up tonight?
I'm heading to Trudy's around 7p. There are supposed to be a couple others there..

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bigred82

New

Post by bigred82 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:28 am

I finally moved everything down to Austin today. Still have loads of boxes to unpack. For those that have done so, how long was the wait to get IDs?

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:41 am

bigred82 wrote:I finally moved everything down to Austin today. Still have loads of boxes to unpack. For those that have done so, how long was the wait to get IDs?
5 min...but this was last week.

philosoraptor

Silver

Post by philosoraptor » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:18 pm

Woohoo internetz!

That is all.

adrib

Bronze

Post by adrib » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:33 pm

philosoraptor wrote:Woohoo internetz!

That is all.
how glorious is the internet, seriously? i want to give it an apologetic gift of some sort, for taking it for granted in the past.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

soonergirl

Bronze

Post by soonergirl » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:41 pm

hey, guys...I checked my UT account statement, and my out of state tuition waiver is showing up on my tuition bill, but not my scholarship. Is that the case for any of the rest of you? I don't know if that's supposed to show up there or not.

nukelaloosh

New

Post by nukelaloosh » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:41 am

soonergirl wrote:hey, guys...I checked my UT account statement, and my out of state tuition waiver is showing up on my tuition bill, but not my scholarship. Is that the case for any of the rest of you? I don't know if that's supposed to show up there or not.
Mine isn't showing up there either. I believe that the Law School applies the scholarship to your account separately. In other words, it is treated as if a third party makes a deposit into your account, not a reduction of your tuition bill.

Estrellas

New

Post by Estrellas » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:29 pm

Hi guys! Should I buy a printer? I have heard that some computer labs charge for prints. Is it free at the law school?

philosoraptor

Silver

Post by philosoraptor » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:10 pm

Estrellas wrote:Hi guys! Should I buy a printer? I have heard that some computer labs charge for prints. Is it free at the law school?
Dunno what the school policies are, but I figured it would be worth it to have a personal printer for small stuff that I didn't feel like leaving home to print.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

soonergirl

Bronze

Post by soonergirl » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:25 pm

nukelaloosh wrote:
soonergirl wrote:hey, guys...I checked my UT account statement, and my out of state tuition waiver is showing up on my tuition bill, but not my scholarship. Is that the case for any of the rest of you? I don't know if that's supposed to show up there or not.
Mine isn't showing up there either. I believe that the Law School applies the scholarship to your account separately. In other words, it is treated as if a third party makes a deposit into your account, not a reduction of your tuition bill.

Okay, here's what Shirley (at financial aid) said: she said that you have to pay your tuition first, then your scholarship check will be cut about a month later. That's crazy talk! How are you supposed to pay your tuition without your scholarship check?

The Sound Of Truth

New

Post by The Sound Of Truth » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:08 am

soonergirl wrote:
nukelaloosh wrote:

Okay, here's what Shirley (at financial aid) said: she said that you have to pay your tuition first, then your scholarship check will be cut about a month later. That's crazy talk! How are you supposed to pay your tuition without your scholarship check?
That makes zero sense. I clicked on the "Pay with financial aid" button, and mine when through fine. The scholarships didn't show up on that page but I got an email that it had been processed and that I'll receive my refund on Friday, and it is for the correct amount factoring in scholarships.

mcflooter06

Bronze

Post by mcflooter06 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:24 am

The Sound Of Truth wrote:
That makes zero sense. I clicked on the "Pay with financial aid" button, and mine when through fine. The scholarships didn't show up on that page but I got an email that it had been processed and that I'll receive my refund on Friday, and it is for the correct amount factoring in scholarships.

Mine hasn't showed up either. My refund is a few thousand short what it should be, because the scholarship isn't on there (the law school FA office said that it wouldn't be on there, anyway). I have contacted the FA office twice this week about the scholarships, and they told me they're still working on getting the donor information out to us. Today they just said "we're working on it, we had a problem" Um, can I have my money now?? Sooo annoying.

And by the way, if you go to get your ID this week, be prepared for lines. Freshmen orientation! I waited about 30-40 minutes, and the line was a lot longer when I left. *sigh*

yournamehere

New

Post by yournamehere » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:23 am

M_F_F_L wrote:
rputt3256 wrote:FWIW: I called the residency office today and spoke with a representative. They said that UT won't be able to officially say whether our land will count towards residency until the law goes into effect in October.

On a positive note, he did mention that since numerous students have opted to establish residency via this route, they expect those of us who purchased our land pre-Oct to be grandfathered in. Hopefully the thought of hundreds of angry students storming the legislature for a "refund" will sway them to accept us as residents already! (gosh, texas must REALLY not want us here).

Assuming we do get grandfathered in next year, is there anything we need to do NOW besides just owning the land? For example, do we need to contact the residency office to let them know of what we are trying to do? The info I'm finding really unclear. Again, a big thanks goes out to all those who have been answering my annoying, newbie questions :D
i just got my texas residency last week. i did nothing other than purchase the land and made sure I had a copy of the warranty deed. you might consider taking other steps to bolster your case for texas residency like changing your driver's license, registering to vote, etc.

regarding printing at the computer lab: it's $0.09 a page.

financial aid / scholarships: not even going to touch this. just keep talking to the FA office and be super-polite to Linda.

if any of yall are hodges, you have two fantastic mentors and a great society coordinator. I'm good friends with all three -- you guys should feel fortunate.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nukelaloosh

New

Post by nukelaloosh » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:51 am

soonergirl wrote:
nukelaloosh wrote:

I did a "Tuition Loan" offered on the UT Fin Aid site. Basically, they give you a 90 day loan to repay your tuition bill.

If you have scholarships, you might not be charged interest (call to make sure.)

sternc

Bronze

Post by sternc » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:35 am

What exactly do we need the UT ID's for? Will it matter if I wait a week or two to get mine to avoid these lines?

Estrellas

New

Post by Estrellas » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:32 pm

So, just to try and get more info on the change in domicile law, I called some real estate broker who sent me a few pieces of mail about gaining in-state tuition. He told me that he used to sell plots of land, but that doesn't work for in-state tuition now. He said if you work for at least 8 hours a week for a year, you could get in-state tuition that way. The other option was to buy a house or something. He offered to pay me to work for him (sending referrals) and after a year I would pay in-state tuition. However, he sounded like a real sleaze, so I'm not so sure I believe him.

What's scary to me is that he used to sell plots of land to students, but now stopped doing it because he claims it will no longer get us in-state tuition. Ugh. I'm worried.

Have you guys heard anything else?

mcflooter06

Bronze

Post by mcflooter06 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:45 pm

sternc wrote:What exactly do we need the UT ID's for? Will it matter if I wait a week or two to get mine to avoid these lines?
They told me at the ID center we needed the proximity card to get into the library (is that true?), but I'm sure you can just wait until next week.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:27 pm

sternc wrote:What exactly do we need the UT ID's for? Will it matter if I wait a week or two to get mine to avoid these lines?
access to the gym; free use of shuttles/trains/buses; checking out library books

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:29 pm

Estrellas wrote: What's scary to me is that he used to sell plots of land to students, but now stopped doing it because he claims it will no longer get us in-state tuition. Ugh. I'm worried.

Have you guys heard anything else?
the law is indeed changing this october so buying the plot of land will be disallowed, but what the UT residency office is saying is that for people who have already purchased their land prior to the legislative change (as well as satisfied the other requirements), there may be a chance to grandfather them in despite the law.

soonergirl

Bronze

Post by soonergirl » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:45 pm

The Sound Of Truth wrote:That makes zero sense. I clicked on the "Pay with financial aid" button, and mine when through fine. The scholarships didn't show up on that page but I got an email that it had been processed and that I'll receive my refund on Friday, and it is for the correct amount factoring in scholarships.
I like your answer. I'm with Flooter in the "um, we had a problem and we're working on it" pile, so mine hasn't been processed and apparently won't be for several weeks. Image

philosoraptor

Silver

Post by philosoraptor » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:49 pm

So, anybody want to do stuff this weekend? Minor league baseball? Heavy drinking? Other fun things?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”