Santa Clara Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
uwb09

Silver

Re: Santa Clara Class of 2013

Post by uwb09 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:11 pm

for the people who are deciding to attend SCU, what general area are you intending to get into? looking around the website all I see is IP this, and patent that, and some minor mentions of social justice. I know not every graduate goes to work in IP/Patent, does anyone know if the school places well in social justice/government type jobs? corporate/business litigation?

visited the campus on friday night and saturday morning and was blown away by it, love the south bay area (especially the drive up 280, wouldn't mind one of those houses in the hills), but I have no desire to do anything related to IP/Patent law

sjk

Bronze

Post by sjk » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:46 am

uwb09 wrote:for the people who are deciding to attend SCU, what general area are you intending to get into? looking around the website all I see is IP this, and patent that, and some minor mentions of social justice. I know not every graduate goes to work in IP/Patent, does anyone know if the school places well in social justice/government type jobs? corporate/business litigation?

visited the campus on friday night and saturday morning and was blown away by it, love the south bay area (especially the drive up 280, wouldn't mind one of those houses in the hills), but I have no desire to do anything related to IP/Patent law
The school places extremely well in government jobs and social justice positions in the South Bay. It is definitely a regional school, but if you don't want to do Big Law, SCU does pretty well.

uwb09

Silver

Post by uwb09 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:50 am

thanks sjk
Last edited by uwb09 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bocaJ

New

Post by bocaJ » Thu May 13, 2010 9:34 pm

Is anyone looking for housemate? I was thinking that it might be nice to live in mountainview, but anywhere thats within walking distance from campus or a cal train not more than a zone away would be fine. The main idea is to balance cost and convinience.

gswfan

New

Post by gswfan » Mon May 17, 2010 5:04 pm

So after doing a little bit of research on housing around the area, the price range for a 1 bedroom is about 900-1500. There are plenty of options near the campus and around the Santa Clara/San Jose/Sunnyvale area. I lucked out and found a place right between downtown SJ, where I work, and SCU for under 1000 with SCU being about 2 miles away. To the person above me that mentioned living in Mtn View; Mtn View can be nice but a little far from campus. The traffic up and down that freeway during rush hour can be a pain. Without traffic, you are looking at about a 15 minute commute.

Anyway, good luck to those that are looking.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

uwb09

Silver

Post by uwb09 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:59 am

Last edited by uwb09 on Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

chibichanman

New

Post by chibichanman » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:56 am

I am posting this here as I also did it on the SCU facebook page.

Hello, I am looking for a 3rd roommate to move into a place July. There are several places available that have 3+ bedrooms, which drops the monthly cost down to about 700-800 per month, then utilities on top of that. You can definitely expect to pay less than 950-1000 all inclusive, and that's being generous. The ho...use/condo/townhome (it will have a garage) will be in the Santa Clara, Sunnyvale, or Mountain View areas, which emphasis on the first two. Please contact me if interested, please only contact if you seriously considering as school starts in two months. Thanks!

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:45 pm

Hello all, I'm curious about how SCU grads are doing in terms of finding FT positions. I'm a rising 3L at Hastings, and job prospects are simply abysmal. You truly need to be top 10% to have a fighting chance. Everyone else is left to fend for themselves. I wrote a post in the CO2015 topic about it, and it got me thinking back to the school I turned down 2 years ago.

uwb09

Silver

Post by uwb09 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:47 pm

It sucks. If you have a hard science background you pretty much have a golden ticket to an IP job. If you don't, but you are top 5-10%, you have good shot at firm jobs. If you are a minority and are doing PI stuff, someone will take you just because of your minority status. If you are in the rest of the heard, you are not having a super fun time right now...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:11 pm

uwb09 wrote:It sucks. If you have a hard science background you pretty much have a golden ticket to an IP job. If you don't, but you are top 5-10%, you have good shot at firm jobs. If you are a minority and are doing PI stuff, someone will take you just because of your minority status. If you are in the rest of the heard, you are not having a super fun time right now...
By hard science, you mean EE or CS, right? I have a bioe background, but IP jobs in that area are super sparse and competitive. I did a phone interview with a firm that specifically does medical devices and wants bioe or mech e, and they interviewed 50 candidates... (I didn't get the position, which was for 2Ls and 3Ls)

uwb09

Silver

Post by uwb09 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:10 pm

a male human wrote:
uwb09 wrote:It sucks. If you have a hard science background you pretty much have a golden ticket to an IP job. If you don't, but you are top 5-10%, you have good shot at firm jobs. If you are a minority and are doing PI stuff, someone will take you just because of your minority status. If you are in the rest of the heard, you are not having a super fun time right now...
By hard science, you mean EE or CS, right? I have a bioe background, but IP jobs in that area are super sparse and competitive. I did a phone interview with a firm that specifically does medical devices and wants bioe or mech e, and they interviewed 50 candidates... (I didn't get the position, which was for 2Ls and 3Ls)
yeah, mostly engineering kids are getting recruited pretty hard, but I know a couple physics/chemistry/biology majors who are having a nice time with IP boutiques, but they also have Masters/PhDs in those sciences. SCU's reputation for IP helps big time in that aspect.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”