ASU 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Pippa

New

Re: ASU 2013

Post by Pippa » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:24 pm

Soooooo for those of us heading to Tempe in August, does anyone have any suggestions on apartments?

aIvin adams

Bronze

Post by aIvin adams » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:31 pm

Pippa wrote:Soooooo for those of us heading to Tempe in August, does anyone have any suggestions on apartments?
are you on fbook? there's a thread on the asu 2013 fbook page about apartments with a couple posts. other than that, if you get more specific about what you are looking for (proximity to school/transportation, price, size, whatever) then i will give some suggestions. ive suggested to other students that i can check out apartments you are interested in if you want, so that offer still stands.

i cruise around and smoke cigarettes and check apartments on my boss's dime when im tired of being in the office. so it isnt any trouble.

j32f

New

Post by j32f » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:49 pm

During traffic hours, how long of a drive is it from Scottsdale to the law school?

aIvin adams

Bronze

Post by aIvin adams » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:14 am

j32f wrote:During traffic hours, how long of a drive is it from Scottsdale to the law school?
that really depends on where you are bc the southern tip of scottsdale is very close to asu (closer than the majority of tempe) and north scottsdale is very far from asu.

if you use google maps you will have an accurate idea of the drive time even during traffic. traffic N/S from asu to south scottsdale is never serious. from north scottsdale you will face traffic on the 101 freeway bc many people use the 101 freeway to get from north scottsdale to the 202 freeway, which runs west into phoenix and is located approximately at the border of scottsdale/tempe (where asu is located).

in fact, the 101 is pretty busy approaching the 202 from the north and south in the morning bc there are only a couple major freeways that run east west and the 202 near asu is a big one.

SuperGenius

New

Post by SuperGenius » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:27 pm

I figured I'd chime in on the whole apartment/where to live thing... If you're looking to find nice, affordable housing near ASU and also near the heart of Scottsdale, look to rent a house somewhere in South Scottsdale, around the Hayden/ Granite reef area. You can get a nice 3-bed house or even a townhouse around there, look at the "Trails" subdivision in particular...It's very affordable. I used to own a house there while in the ASU MBA program and it was about a 30 minute BICYCLE ride into ASU, or about 12 minute drive to the Carey parking garage. Perfect location without having undergrads living either above or below you keeping you up at night. Not a bad stumble distance from downtown Scottsdale, either, if you're into that scene. I'm now in North Scottsdale and am facing about a 45 minute drive each way. It's a very long city North/South. Enjoy your search...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

j32f

New

Post by j32f » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:05 pm

For those of you not yet in Tempe, when are you planning on moving out there? In order to get the ball rolling toward establishing state residency, I think I'm going to be moving in early July. I'm pretty excited about getting out there, much more so than I am about writing a 12 page paper for a class tomorrow. =(

allarts

New

Post by allarts » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:58 pm

Where is everyone on here from?

Platinum

Post by 02122015 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:35 pm

Last edited by 02122015 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jordan77

Bronze

Post by Jordan77 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:00 pm

Congrats on choosing ASU! I am an ASU 3L (graduating May 14!) and thought I would offer some thoughts on the commute.

I live in Central/Northern Scottsdale (Shea and 101) and the commute to the law school is not that bad relatively. You are generally going the opposite way of traffic for your commute to and from the law school. It takes me about 15-20 minutes to drive and get to class. For instance I leave for a 10 am class around 9:20 and arrive plenty early (9:40 or so) taking the 101 and 202. Furthermore, I would leave law school at 5 and get home around 5:30, so unless 20-30 minute commute is too much for you, it is a great place to live.

There are also plenty of nice places to live around Tempe.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

atfarmer

New

Post by atfarmer » Sat May 01, 2010 7:23 pm

good to know, thanks jordan

mepg

New

Post by mepg » Sun May 02, 2010 4:12 am

Jordan77 wrote:Congrats on choosing ASU! I am an ASU 3L (graduating May 14!) and thought I would offer some thoughts on the commute.

I live in Central/Northern Scottsdale (Shea and 101) and the commute to the law school is not that bad relatively. You are generally going the opposite way of traffic for your commute to and from the law school. It takes me about 15-20 minutes to drive and get to class. For instance I leave for a 10 am class around 9:20 and arrive plenty early (9:40 or so) taking the 101 and 202. Furthermore, I would leave law school at 5 and get home around 5:30, so unless 20-30 minute commute is too much for you, it is a great place to live.

There are also plenty of nice places to live around Tempe.
I am a 1L and live about 5 minutes south of Jordan (around the 101 and Indian Bend). The commute is not bad at all, and if traffic on the freeway backs up, there are multiple surface streets you can use to get to school (since the city is on a grid, getting off the freeway and getting onto surface streets is easy). I would poke around Craigslist just to get an idea of how much you want to spend. I have friends that live right around campus and many who commute from different parts of Phoenix. I am a Phoenix native so let me know if you need any advice.

mepg

New

Post by mepg » Sun May 02, 2010 4:14 am

atfarmer wrote:I'm sending in my seat deposit tomorrow. 8)

Good city, good rank, good price, good job prospects... I'm in. See you all next year.

PS - I grew up in a suburb of San Antonio, so I am a Spurs fan. I hope we can still be friends... :mrgreen:
We can be friends after the playoffs. I have spent too many years having your Spurs break my heart. So I guess for the next couple of weeks we are enemies.

j32f

New

Post by j32f » Sun May 02, 2010 1:33 pm

Go Spurs Go!

In all honesty, I think this is the year that the Suns break through and beat the Spurs. Years of built up hate oughta fuel y'all to a series win.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mepg

New

Post by mepg » Sun May 02, 2010 2:10 pm

j32f wrote:Go Spurs Go!

In all honesty, I think this is the year that the Suns break through and beat the Spurs. Years of built up hate oughta fuel y'all to a series win.
I really hope so. Final exams start Wednesday, and I don't want the anger of the Spurs beating us again. It's hard to say because I feel like the Spurs are a totally different team during the playoffs, dominating and spirit crushing. One of my best friends is a die hard Mavs fan, and she is not happy.

j32f

New

Post by j32f » Sun May 02, 2010 2:18 pm

Heh, yeah lord knows I understand trying to avoid sports during finals. We'll see how the Spurs do. They have looked like a totally different team in the past two months. And the Suns gotta count on them being tough this series, if the Spurs are anything, it's that. I do think that this series could go either way though.

j32f

New

Post by j32f » Sun May 02, 2010 2:22 pm

About next year, I'm looking at getting a condo in Scottsdale Shadows. Do y'all know much about them?

aIvin adams

Bronze

Post by aIvin adams » Sun May 02, 2010 7:34 pm

j32f wrote:About next year, I'm looking at getting a condo in Scottsdale Shadows. Do y'all know much about them?
not much but ive been there once and it was beautiful. couldnt tell you which area w/in the shadows i was in.

just make sure to get as much info about yer HOA's budget as you can (budget plan, annual report, and anything else). thats a big place with a lot of expensive amenities. if it hasnt been budgeted well, it could be proper jobbed by now and if you don't have a lot of extra money for special assessments you may want to beware

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

pre-law

New

Post by pre-law » Mon May 03, 2010 1:38 am

A lot of people seem to be asking about living in Scottsdale. A good website I've come across to use in hunting for apartments is Rent.com. If you enter in a Scottsdale zip code, you can see a bunch of listed apartments/condos in that zip code. Here are Scottsdale's zip codes in order from the closest to farthest from ASU:

85257 (South Scottsdale)
85251 (South Scottsdale)

85250 (Central Scottsdale)
85258 (Central Scottsdale)

85254 (North Scottsdale)
85260 (North Scottsdale)
85259 (North Scottsdale)
85255 (North Scottsdale)
85266 (North Scottsdale)
85262 (North Scottsdale)

PS: I'm looking for a 1L roommate so if any of you are interested in one let me know!

cypher

New

Post by cypher » Mon May 03, 2010 8:19 pm

So, is anybody interested in getting 3 or so 1L students together and splitting an apartment? If we did that, it would actually make nicer places like --LinkRemoved-- affordable. Just a thought.

Anyways, completely off-topic, go Cavs!

aIvin adams

Bronze

Post by aIvin adams » Mon May 03, 2010 8:56 pm

cypher wrote:So, is anybody interested in getting 3 or so 1L students together and splitting an apartment? If we did that, it would actually make nicer places like --LinkRemoved-- affordable. Just a thought.

that place is probably not what you are looking for. google 'university house'

otoh, if you are looking for a 'UG' situation with lots of partying then its probably a good, if overpriced, location.

i really do not like this place. one of my best friends lived here when i was a sophomore at ASU so i spent a lot of time there.

eidt- also, that is not a very nice area. between that complex and asu is some rough ground. i live approx the same distance from asu but on university.. the drop off isnt as bad on university. my uncle lived across the street from that complex about 7 years ago. i moved him out of there and into a recovery house for meth addicts. the recovery house was the 2nd nastiest place i had ever stepped into. his old apartment across the street from that complex was the nastiest.

cypher

New

Post by cypher » Mon May 03, 2010 11:58 pm

aIvin adams wrote:
cypher wrote:So, is anybody interested in getting 3 or so 1L students together and splitting an apartment? If we did that, it would actually make nicer places like --LinkRemoved-- affordable. Just a thought.

otoh, if you are looking for a 'UG' situation with lots of partying then its probably a good, if overpriced, location.

i really do not like this place. one of my best friends lived here when i was a sophomore at ASU so i spent a lot of time there.

eidt- also, that is not a very nice area. between that complex and asu is some rough ground. i live approx the same distance from asu but on university.. the drop off isnt as bad on university. my uncle lived across the street from that complex about 7 years ago. i moved him out of there and into a recovery house for meth addicts. the recovery house was the 2nd nastiest place i had ever stepped into. his old apartment across the street from that complex was the nastiest.
Oh okay, thanks. That's good to know. I wasn't specifically talking about that location though, just using the first example I came across. Regardless, if nobody wants to do that idea, I would like to find one roommate to live with, so if you don't have one yet, just post something. Or, if you're a member of that FB group for our ASU class, you can always find me and message me there (Ben Cypher).

Anyways, enough being serious for now. Did anybody watch the Cavs Celtics game tonight? My team got worked...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

aIvin adams

Bronze

Post by aIvin adams » Tue May 04, 2010 3:28 am

cypher wrote:
aIvin adams wrote:

Oh okay, thanks. That's good to know. I wasn't specifically talking about that location though, just using the first example I came across. Regardless, if nobody wants to do that idea, I would like to find one roommate to live with, so if you don't have one yet, just post something. Or, if you're a member of that FB group for our ASU class, you can always find me and message me there (Ben Cypher).

Anyways, enough being serious for now. Did anybody watch the Cavs Celtics game tonight? My team got worked...
dont worry, there's still time to join the suns bandwagon now that yer a sun devil. our team is pretty awesome and you might as well learn to love it bc otherwise you cant network in this town and you'll always be poor.

eidt - also that's a good idea about finding other 1Ls to live with. im saddled with the ball and chain, but im counting on her to do my homework for me still. i wonder if there's any other way you could find incoming 1Ls to discuss it with? asu should have a 2013 listserv or something. i would opt in probably - of course i do TLS and fbook so im obv an internet champ

cypher

New

Post by cypher » Tue May 04, 2010 2:19 pm

aIvin adams wrote:dont worry, there's still time to join the suns bandwagon now that yer a sun devil. our team is pretty awesome and you might as well learn to love it bc otherwise you cant network in this town and you'll always be poor.

eidt - also that's a good idea about finding other 1Ls to live with. im saddled with the ball and chain, but im counting on her to do my homework for me still. i wonder if there's any other way you could find incoming 1Ls to discuss it with? asu should have a 2013 listserv or something. i would opt in probably - of course i do TLS and fbook so im obv an internet champ
Hahah, okay, here's what I learned from the last post:

A. Converting to a Suns fan = $$$
B. I need to quickly get married before law school so I can cut my workload in half

But seriously, I know there is a Blackboard site for admitted law students and they usually have a "Roster" section under "Communication", so maybe you're on to something there.. I'll check into that sometime this afternoon when I get some downtime.

Edit: I did find the Roster, but I believe it's for everybody that's been admitted and created an ASU name, as there's 474 users in it. But, with that said, you could still send an email to everybody in that group, but it would go to their ASU gmail, which I doubt too many are checking in this point in time (unless they put a forwarding address on it). So, I dunno if I should try that route or not, however, it does kinda seem to be the best option at this point in time.

aIvin adams

Bronze

Post by aIvin adams » Tue May 04, 2010 3:47 pm

cypher wrote:
aIvin adams wrote:dont worry, there's still time to join the suns bandwagon now that yer a sun devil. our team is pretty awesome and you might as well learn to love it bc otherwise you cant network in this town and you'll always be poor.

Hahah, okay, here's what I learned from the last post:

A. Converting to a Suns fan = $$$
B. I need to quickly get married before law school so I can cut my workload in half

But seriously, I know there is a Blackboard site for admitted law students and they usually have a "Roster" section under "Communication", so maybe you're on to something there.. I'll check into that sometime this afternoon when I get some downtime.

Edit: I did find the Roster, but I believe it's for everybody that's been admitted and created an ASU name, as there's 474 users in it. But, with that said, you could still send an email to everybody in that group, but it would go to their ASU gmail, which I doubt too many are checking in this point in time (unless they put a forwarding address on it). So, I dunno if I should try that route or not, however, it does kinda seem to be the best option at this point in time.
dude go for it! listservs were meant to be abused :D this is actually a good use for it, but if it works im sure we can think of ways to use the listserv inappropriately.

i love my wife and i love being married, but even if she did half my homework marriage would have a net effect of doubling my workload, not halfing it ;) but as for (A)...well.. vamanos los suns!!!

loriandrav

New

Post by loriandrav » Wed May 05, 2010 3:19 pm

Hi Everyone! Dean Soto called me last week and I just received my admission packet in the mail on Monday. I sent in my seat deposit yesterday. I am super excited! Do you know how long it will take to get my blackboard login? Also, the packet says the schedule is pre-determined for 1L students...does anyone know when we find out that schedule (i.e. do we find out in June once we send back our letters of intent or do we have to wait until orientation?) Looking forward to meeting you all.... oh and GO SUNS!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”