Tulane Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
superflush

Silver

Re: Tulane Class of 2013

Post by superflush » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:45 pm

smartblonde87 wrote:So what happens if there is an evacuation on a school night? What happens then?
You drive north.

Bert

Bronze

Post by Bert » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:53 pm

What's this evacuation you all speak of . How much notice do you get to evacuate ? Anybody?

smartblonde87

Bronze

Post by smartblonde87 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:45 am

Well, I talked to my boss who went to Tulane for undergrad, and he said he only had to evacuate once or twice in four years (for hurricanes). When Katrina hit, I think there was a solid 3 days beforehand, if not 4, for people to get out of the city.

I live on a fault line and an earthquake is supposed to hit us bad in this decade. At least it's not like that - you can't see earthquakes coming.

dancer330

New

Post by dancer330 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:09 pm

Have you guys started looking for housing? I've been looking on Craigslist and there seem to be a lot of places available. I'm kind of nervous about being able to find something walking distance to campus that still has everything I want (dishwasher—what 1L has time to do dishes?!, washer/dryer access, nearby parking, etc).

There seem to be some great apartments in the Garden and Warehouse districts, but being within walking distance is apparently pretty important during 1L...

Has anyone found anything yet?

jstn1104

Bronze

Post by jstn1104 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:53 pm

dancer330 wrote:Have you guys started looking for housing? I've been looking on Craigslist and there seem to be a lot of places available. I'm kind of nervous about being able to find something walking distance to campus that still has everything I want (dishwasher—what 1L has time to do dishes?!, washer/dryer access, nearby parking, etc).

There seem to be some great apartments in the Garden and Warehouse districts, but being within walking distance is apparently pretty important during 1L...

It seems like a lot of the stuff available right now near the school are summer sublets. I'm pretty sure new places will start popping up for August toward the end of next month. I'm going to start looking more seriously around the middle of May.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sticknbindle

New

Post by sticknbindle » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:18 pm

smartblonde87 wrote:Well, I talked to my boss who went to Tulane for undergrad, and he said he only had to evacuate once or twice in four years (for hurricanes). When Katrina hit, I think there was a solid 3 days beforehand, if not 4, for people to get out of the city.

I live on a fault line and an earthquake is supposed to hit us bad in this decade. At least it's not like that - you can't see earthquakes coming.
Same here. The pending Bay Area quake is pretty scary... at least you can run from a hurricane.

There does seem to be plenty of housing right now. I think I'm gonna fly down in early/mid July to find something relatively close to campus. Also, it does seem like a good bike city, but from what I saw a car would be extremely helpful.

smartblonde87

Bronze

Post by smartblonde87 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:11 pm

jstn1104 wrote:
dancer330 wrote:Have you guys started looking for housing? I've been looking on Craigslist and there seem to be a lot of places available. I'm kind of nervous about being able to find something walking distance to campus that still has everything I want (dishwasher—what 1L has time to do dishes?!, washer/dryer access, nearby parking, etc).

It seems like a lot of the stuff available right now near the school are summer sublets. I'm pretty sure new places will start popping up for August toward the end of next month. I'm going to start looking more seriously around the middle of May.
my hubs went down monday and checked out the preserve so we are going to go for it. it's awesome from the pictures! http://www.thepreservenola.com

jstn1104

Bronze

Post by jstn1104 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:46 pm

smartblonde87 wrote:
jstn1104 wrote:

my hubs went down monday and checked out the preserve so we are going to go for it. it's awesome from the pictures! http://www.thepreservenola.com
Looks nice, but too far from campus!

waverider

Bronze

Post by waverider » Wed May 05, 2010 6:17 am

Has anyone gotten the travel reimbursement for ASW yet?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jstn1104

Bronze

Post by jstn1104 » Wed May 05, 2010 8:57 pm

waverider wrote:Has anyone gotten the travel reimbursement for ASW yet?
Just got mine yesterday.

Amy wineBerry

New

Post by Amy wineBerry » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:45 am

I'm officially part of Tulane's class of 2013. Anyone else?

trueblue29

New

Post by trueblue29 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:17 am

This thread has been pretty quiet... any future Tulane law students around?

I am heading down to New Orleans later this week to look for housing. Looking forward to the move and meeting you all in the fall.

jstn1104

Bronze

Post by jstn1104 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:25 pm

trueblue29 wrote:This thread has been pretty quiet... any future Tulane law students around?

I am heading down to New Orleans later this week to look for housing. Looking forward to the move and meeting you all in the fall.
I’m here. I was in New Orleans a few weeks ago looking for housing and found it to be extremely easy. I spent one afternoon looking at places and ended going with the second place I saw. I spent the next four days eating and drinking around New Orleans, exploring for the first time some of the restaurants uptown, of which there are quite a few great ones.

I’m moving down there the first week of August, taking the train from Chicago. Can’t wait!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rollingby

New

Post by rollingby » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:53 pm

Last edited by rollingby on Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nol607

Bronze

Post by nol607 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:26 pm

You don't need a realtor. Just go up and down all the streets by campus and you will find tons of FOR RENT signs. And unlike cities like NYC, if you want to live downtown, craigslist is completely reliable. But your best bet is definitely just a loooong walk around campus.

jstn1104

Bronze

Post by jstn1104 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:29 pm

rollingby wrote:I'm going to be driving down to NOLA from central Illinois around the middle of July to look for housing. Did you guys just use craigslist or did you call a local Realtor, etc?
I found my apartment thru the Tulane apartment listing. And yes, there are a lot of for rent signs up, it was pretty easy for me to find a place.

jchb6d

New

Post by jchb6d » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:46 pm

I started with Padmapper and walking around the area. Ended up getting a place through a referral from one of the people I called to call a friend of a friend.

So, even if the listing isn't what you're looking for, it might still be worth a shot to call anyway and tell them what you ARE looking for.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

smartblonde87

Bronze

Post by smartblonde87 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:05 pm

hey guys i got the email about locker reservations. it has a clause about bottom lockers being available on a first-come, first-served basis. is there something magical about bottom lockers that i am missing??

jstn1104

Bronze

Post by jstn1104 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:11 pm

smartblonde87 wrote:hey guys i got the email about locker reservations. it has a clause about bottom lockers being available on a first-come, first-served basis. is there something magical about bottom lockers that i am missing??
Do we need lockers? It seem kind of unnecessary. Anything I'll have to bring to class I'll probably have to take back home.

Headybrah

Bronze

Post by Headybrah » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:22 pm

I just put down a deposit on 10 of them...

cornering the market

jstn1104

Bronze

Post by jstn1104 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:28 am

Are we able to apply for federal loans yet? Anybody know when we're supposed to get information on that?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thucydides

New

Post by thucydides » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:23 pm

jstn1104 wrote:Are we able to apply for federal loans yet? Anybody know when we're supposed to get information on that?
I emailed the Financial Aid office and here's what they said:

"We have not yet posted you award for the academic year 2010-2011. This will happen shortly. In the mean time you may want to go back to the website: http://www.studentloans.gov and fill out the E-MPN for the Stafford Loan (if you have not done so already) and fill out a new PLUS loan processing application (this gives the DOE permission to run your credit)."

jstn1104

Bronze

Post by jstn1104 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:33 pm

thucydides wrote:
jstn1104 wrote:Are we able to apply for federal loans yet? Anybody know when we're supposed to get information on that?

"We have not yet posted you award for the academic year 2010-2011. This will happen shortly. In the mean time you may want to go back to the website: http://www.studentloans.gov and fill out the E-MPN for the Stafford Loan (if you have not done so already) and fill out a new PLUS loan processing application (this gives the DOE permission to run your credit)."
Thanks. Yeah, I actually went over there and filled out the MPN and took the required "exam" for the loans, which was kind of a pain. Apparently they're supposed to send the financial aid info out to us later this week.

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:41 am

jstn1104 wrote:
thucydides wrote:

Thanks. Yeah, I actually went over there and filled out the MPN and took the required "exam" for the loans, which was kind of a pain. Apparently they're supposed to send the financial aid info out to us later this week.
you get off the WL? cause they sent me that stuff months ago.

rcm2116

New

Post by rcm2116 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:49 pm

Congratulations to everybody on the acceptances! I am so very excited to start at Tulane in the fall!

I live in the area and can help with any questions regarding life (and finding housing) in the most fabulous city in the world!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”