Tulane Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
jstn1104

Bronze

Tulane Class of 2013

Post by jstn1104 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:07 am

Who else is going? I’m officially in and am pretty psyched to be moving to New Orleans.

Is anyone else looking for housing? I’m definitely interested in finding a place with another 1L. I plan on heading down to New Orleans the first week of June to look for an apartment. I’m hoping to avoid a shotgun house; I know there are some really great 2-story houses near the school that rent out each floor as a separate apartment.

superflush

Silver

Re: Tulane Class of 2013

Post by superflush » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:33 pm

I'm on WL.
But I'll tag this thread.

waverider

Bronze

Post by waverider » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:27 am

Can't wait to visit New Orleans.

RedSoxFan

New

Post by RedSoxFan » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:28 am

You have to go to Mother's and Pat O'Briens... It will be a sin if you don't.

waverider

Bronze

Post by waverider » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:34 am

RedSoxFan wrote:You have to go to Mother's and Pat O'Briens... It will be a sin if you don't.
Thanks for the tip

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jstn1104

Bronze

Post by jstn1104 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:47 pm

waverider wrote:
RedSoxFan wrote:You have to go to Mother's and Pat O'Briens... It will be a sin if you don't.
Thanks for the tip
IMO Pat O'Brien's is kind of lame, basically the epitome of a tourist bar. One of the the most likely places to the city to be bombarded with obnoxiously loud people and overpriced drinks. Also they charge you an extra $3 per drink under the assumption that you want to keep your glass. You have to go to the bar and "return" your glass to get the $3 back. There are way better places to drink in New Orleans!

Coriolanus

New

Post by Coriolanus » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:08 pm

I'm from New Orleans and was accepted into Tulane Law; however, I am not attending. If you are looking for great places to eat in the New Orleans area you should check out this review guide by Tom Fitzmorris. --LinkRemoved--.

sticknbindle

New

Post by sticknbindle » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:34 pm

I just got back from a week long trip there that started with the ASD on Friday. NOLA was absolutely amazing, and I was impressed with the law school as well... I've made my decision to attend, and will probably send in my seat deposit today. My GF is coming with, so we're probably gonna look for a 1 bedroom Uptown somewhere.

We went to a number of awesome bars and restaurants while we were there. Franky and Johnny's had good crawfish. Camellia Grill was a great time and had great burgers. Chart Room might be the coolest dive bar in New Orleans ($1.50 frosty Miller High Life).. We had some amazing cocktails at Cure. Cochon had fantastic food (pork cheeks, rabbit livers, fried alligator), and John Malkovich was sitting at the table next to us, which was cool--your clothes will smell like campfire after dinner though. My GF got me a shave at Aidan Gill, the best barber shop ever. We also hit up the WWII museum--heavy stuff. I coulda spent all day in there.

Frenchman Street was a blast as well.. We had good food at Adolfo's, and had cocktails and listened to great music at DBA across the street.

All in all, I can't say enough about how much we loved NOLA. Great people, great food. We were kinda spoiled with great weather though, and I'm not looking forward to moving there in the Summer heat.

See you all in August.

peachmonkey

New

Post by peachmonkey » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:27 pm

I was accepted and will be attending in the fall. Originally from outside of Boston, where I reside now. My boyfriend will be attending the med school at Tulane. Can't wait to move to New Orleans!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

peachmonkey

New

Post by peachmonkey » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:30 pm

Will be attending ASW this coming weekend, so will report back on all the gems the city has to offer... visited back in October and went to Muriel's Jackson Square for dinner, which was really good. Also, the vintage stores are amazing.

jstn1104

Bronze

Post by jstn1104 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:50 pm

sticknbindle wrote:I just got back from a week long trip there that started with the ASD on Friday. NOLA was absolutely amazing, and I was impressed with the lawl skool as well... I've made my decision to attend, and will probably send in my seat deposit today. My GF is coming with, so we're probably gonna look for a 1 bedroom Uptown somewhere.

We went to a number of awesome bars and restaurants while we were there. Franky and Johnny's had good crawfish. Camellia Grill was a great time and had great burgers. Chart Room might be the coolest dive bar in New Orleans ($1.50 frosty Miller High Life).. We had some amazing cocktails at Cure. Cochon had fantastic food (pork cheeks, rabbit livers, fried alligator), and John Malkovich was sitting at the table next to us, which was cool--your clothes will smell like campfire after dinner though. My GF got me a shave at Aidan Gill, the best barber shop ever. We also hit up the WWII museum--heavy stuff. I coulda spent all day in there.

Frenchman Street was a blast as well.. We had good food at Adolfo's, and had cocktails and listened to great music at DBA across the street.

All in all, I can't say enough about how much we loved NOLA. Great people, great food. We were kinda spoiled with great weather though, and I'm not looking forward to moving there in the Summer heat.

See you all in August.
As somebody who's spent a lot of time in New Orleans over the years I must congratulate you on finding some of the very best spots in the city! I'm a huge fan of Frenchman St (specifically the Apple Barrel), and have visited Franky and Johnny's a number of times for their outstanding crawfish. I've heard a lot about Cochon, I'll have to check that out when I move down there or when I'm visiting next month.

See you in August!

smartblonde87

Bronze

Post by smartblonde87 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:22 pm

I just put down my deposit!!!!

Bert

Bronze

Post by Bert » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:19 pm

Where in NOLA are people planning on living?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jstn1104

Bronze

Post by jstn1104 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:30 pm

Bert wrote:Where in NOLA are people planning on living?
I'm leaving my car behind and planning on getting around via bike/walking/streetcar, so I'm only looking for places close to the school. Looks like there's a ton of good housing nearby.

smartblonde87

Bronze

Post by smartblonde87 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:17 pm

crescent club and the preserve are SUPER nice apartment complexes with all the fixin's (and breakfast on weekdays!) but i have a roommate husband who would share a 1 BR with me. there's a lot in uptown to rent on craigslist if you type tulane into the search pane.

twintipping_bumps

Bronze

Post by twintipping_bumps » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:24 pm

smartblonde87 wrote:

crescent club and the preserve are SUPER nice apartment complexes with all the fixin's (and breakfast on weekdays!)
If anyone is interested in discussing a 2 bedroom/2 bath unit at these places or a similar place, please let me know. Maybe we can chat and see if it would work. I see some units that would cost each person between $600 and $700 a month.

Bert

Bronze

Post by Bert » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:40 pm

twintipping_bumps wrote:
smartblonde87 wrote:

crescent club and the preserve are SUPER nice apartment complexes with all the fixin's (and breakfast on weekdays!)
If anyone is interested in discussing a 2 bedroom/2 bath unit at these places or a similar place, please let me know. Maybe we can chat and see if it would work. I see some units that would cost each person between $600 and $700 a month.
Is the breakfast free?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

smartblonde87

Bronze

Post by smartblonde87 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:44 am

Bert wrote:
twintipping_bumps wrote:
smartblonde87 wrote:

Is the breakfast free?
yup! that was a huge selling point for me. isn't that ridiculous?

EDIT: the ad i responded to no craigslist said "Complimentary Weekday Breakfast to go"
Last edited by smartblonde87 on Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nol607

Bronze

Post by nol607 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:50 am

jstn1104 wrote:
I'm leaving my car behind and planning on getting around via bike/walking/streetcar, so I'm only looking for places close to the school. Looks like there's a ton of good housing nearby.

Definitely bring the car trust me. I'm an avid biker but you do not want to bike around New Orleans it has one of the highest per capita biker fatality rates, it is a HORRIBLE city to bike in. And the street car is traditional and a fixture of the city but it is useless for transportation unless you plan on spending an hour an a half to cover a distance you could drive in five minutes. And there is nowhere walking distance for groceries. Trust me, I don't have a car and I'm in New Orleans and I hate it.

Edit- for housing though, you're right. There are tons of places within walking distance from the school.

jstn1104

Bronze

Post by jstn1104 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:48 am

nol607 wrote:
jstn1104 wrote:

Definitely bring the car trust me. I'm an avid biker but you do not want to bike around New Orleans it has one of the highest per capita biker fatality rates, it is a HORRIBLE city to bike in. And the street car is traditional and a fixture of the city but it is useless for transportation unless you plan on spending an hour an a half to cover a distance you could drive in five minutes. And there is nowhere walking distance for groceries. Trust me, I don't have a car and I'm in New Orleans and I hate it.

Edit- for housing though, you're right. There are tons of places within walking distance from the school.
Thanks for the input, but I don't really have a choice. I know that New Orleans isn't exactly a great public transportation city, but the money I save without car insurance, plus selling my car, is going to make a big difference in covering my cost of living and avoiding the grad plus loan. I've heard the roads are not great for biking, and I know from experience that the streetcar is time consuming and unreliable. If it's really that bad maybe I'll get a car for my 2nd year, but I think I'll be able to get along ok with just the bike.

smartblonde87

Bronze

Post by smartblonde87 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:07 pm

jstn1104 wrote:
nol607 wrote:
jstn1104 wrote:

Thanks for the input, but I don't really have a choice. I know that New Orleans isn't exactly a great public transportation city, but the money I save without car insurance, plus selling my car, is going to make a big difference in covering my cost of living and avoiding the grad plus loan. I've heard the roads are not great for biking, and I know from experience that the streetcar is time consuming and unreliable. If it's really that bad maybe I'll get a car for my 2nd year, but I think I'll be able to get along ok with just the bike.
I think Tulane started a ride share program - this may benefit you a lot. if not, we can always start one!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jstn1104

Bronze

Post by jstn1104 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:54 pm

smartblonde87 wrote:I think Tulane started a ride share program - this may benefit you a lot. if not, we can always start one!
I heard about that, I should look into it.

kesseskyb

New

Post by kesseskyb » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:01 pm

Hey, so on the note of looking for people to live with- I'm 26, wondering if anyone around my age with a dog is looking for someone to live with. I know that sounds strange, but I am bringing my dog with me to New Orleans, she's super well-behaved, 7yrs, about 40 lbs and I know we are going to be so busy our first year, it would be nice to have another dog in the house! I want to find as inexpensive of a place as I can, near Tulane and with a yard.
Anyone interested?

smartblonde87

Bronze

Post by smartblonde87 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:18 pm

So what happens if there is an evacuation on a school night? What happens then?

sticknbindle

New

Post by sticknbindle » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:42 pm

smartblonde87 wrote:So what happens if there is an evacuation on a school night? What happens then?
I'm sure we'll be fine. Should make for an interesting situation though... probably inevitable.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”