UConn Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
msfarley
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:51 am

Re: UConn Class of 2013

Postby msfarley » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:15 am

I'm starting to buy textbooks for classes, if you haven't seen it the UCONN bookstore has a good search tool to see which books you need for each class:

http://webstore.uconncoop.com/booksearch.aspx

I'm buying the cheaper (< 100) books on Amazon, but a few of the case books are expensive ($150-170) so I'm trying something new.... Bookrenter.com. I have never tried it before so I can't say how good of a service it is, but I figured it was worth a try because you can rent a $160 book for $40 for the semester. Happy to be the guinea pig for this semester. If you sign up with this link & coupon code you can save 5% extra.....

http://bkrent.tellapal.com/a/clk/Lmfql
Coupon code: TT5%OFF

I disagree... I think Pepe's Pizza in New haven is just about as good as pizza anywhere. i lived in nyc for 3 years.

Leira
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:31 pm

Re: UConn Class of 2013

Postby Leira » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:45 am

There is also a Pepe Pizza in Manchester (for those of you with a car)!

User avatar
Lighthouse28
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:20 pm

Re: UConn Class of 2013

Postby Lighthouse28 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:29 am

What are you all using for internet service in your homes/apartments?? AT&T has DSL for the first year for $19.99 and $45.00 after the first year. Is that decent??? I'm in West Hartford about 5 minutes away from campus and don't know what different options there are. Wondering what you all have ?? Any good reliable ISPs with good prices ?? Help would be appreciated ! :D

----

Any good pizza places actually in West Hartford? NY pizza, not the other crap !

msfarley
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:51 am

Re: UConn Class of 2013

Postby msfarley » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:30 pm

Lighthouse28 wrote:What are you all using for internet service in your homes/apartments?? AT&T has DSL for the first year for $19.99 and $45.00 after the first year. Is that decent??? I'm in West Hartford about 5 minutes away from campus and don't know what different options there are. Wondering what you all have ?? Any good reliable ISPs with good prices ?? Help would be appreciated ! :D


Right now I tether my Blackberry and when I get a Droid I'm going to use it as a wireless hotspot. Verizon charges $30/month for 5GB... I've been happy it has been fast enough for what i mostly use the internet for.

Burger in a can
Posts: 1116
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:21 pm

Re: UConn Class of 2013

Postby Burger in a can » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:23 pm

Lighthouse28 wrote:What are you all using for internet service in your homes/apartments?? AT&T has DSL for the first year for $19.99 and $45.00 after the first year. Is that decent??? I'm in West Hartford about 5 minutes away from campus and don't know what different options there are. Wondering what you all have ?? Any good reliable ISPs with good prices ?? Help would be appreciated ! :D

----

Any good pizza places actually in West Hartford? NY pizza, not the other crap !


That sounds like a good price to me. I have Comcast and have had nothing but problems with them.

(Edit: Man, between complaining about pizza and complaining about Comcast, I must come across as a pretty grumpy person!)
Last edited by Burger in a can on Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UConnLawNoob
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:49 pm

Re: UConn Class of 2013

Postby UConnLawNoob » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:50 pm

+1 on Pepe's pizza being way overrated.

emsko
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:28 pm

Re: UConn Class of 2013

Postby emsko » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:08 pm

Pepe's is indeed overrated. I think the best pizza in CT is at Modern Apizza in New Haven.

cjr1298
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: UConn Class of 2013

Postby cjr1298 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:01 pm

Lighthouse28 wrote:What is everyone wearing to orientation? I want to look nice, but then I don't want to look TOO nice either. :oops: What is the dress code??


I'm glad I'm not the only one worried about this- I was going to wear jeans, some cute shoes, and a nicer top. Sound right?

As for the pizza, I have served more than my fair share of NY style and NY pizza, and I think Pepe's is OK, but nothing fabulous. The atmosphere begs you to believe you are being immersed in the real deal, but it's just pretty good. But everything is relative, if you're from the midwest, CT pizza is pretty incredible.

Burger in a can
Posts: 1116
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:21 pm

Re: UConn Class of 2013

Postby Burger in a can » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:12 pm

Nevermind.
Last edited by Burger in a can on Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Lighthouse28
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:20 pm

Re: UConn Class of 2013

Postby Lighthouse28 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:16 am

CJR, sounds good. I'll probably do the same thing. Don't want to be overdressed and stand out lol

Burger, thanks for the Info. I'll probably just go with AT&T then ! I had AT&T U-Verse back in grad school, and I loved it. Internet and cable for a really good price, $81.00/month. Wish there were U-Verse in West Hartford :( I've heard so many awful things about Comcast so I am trying to avoid them.

Burger in a can
Posts: 1116
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:21 pm

Re: UConn Class of 2013

Postby Burger in a can » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:52 am

Lighthouse28 wrote:CJR, sounds good. I'll probably do the same thing. Don't want to be overdressed and stand out lol

Burger, thanks for the Info. I'll probably just go with AT&T then ! I had AT&T U-Verse back in grad school, and I loved it. Internet and cable for a really good price, $81.00/month. Wish there were U-Verse in West Hartford :( I've heard so many awful things about Comcast so I am trying to avoid them.


Yeah in my experience, comcast is ok when it works. When it doesn't work, which happens fairly often, their customer service department will just tell you to keep restarting your modem. When that won't work, they will send out a repair person, and you sometimes have to wait for a WEEK for the appointment. The second repairman who came to my apartment told me that my connection was "messed up" and said "I don't know what to tell you.". It fixed itself a couple of days later, and has gone down several times since then. I have read that DSL is more reliable than cable anyway.

User avatar
Lighthouse28
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:20 pm

Re: UConn Class of 2013

Postby Lighthouse28 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:51 pm

AT&T DSL might be available where you are, too ! I called them today and luckily it was available in my building. I live about 5 minutes away from campus, south of Boulevard, to the left of Prospect on Google Maps lol I don't know if that helps any !

Burger in a can
Posts: 1116
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:21 pm

Re: UConn Class of 2013

Postby Burger in a can » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:03 pm

Lighthouse28 wrote:AT&T DSL might be available where you are, too ! I called them today and luckily it was available in my building. I live about 5 minutes away from campus, south of Boulevard, to the left of Prospect on Google Maps lol I don't know if that helps any !


AT&T DSL is available in my area, but the landlines in my building are messed up so unfortunately I can't get DSL.

Also, only one week until orientation, guys! Is everyone excited??? :D

User avatar
Lighthouse28
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:20 pm

Re: UConn Class of 2013

Postby Lighthouse28 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:49 pm

I need TWEN help, Please !!

So I went on Twen about a week ago and looked at some of the stuff listed as "new." Now when I went on, I can't find any of the stuff I already looked at, such as the syllabus. Where can I find it now??? I don't want to miss any assignments I might have, so I didn't pay much attention to it before. But I'd like to see all the stuff that has been posted, not just the "new" stuff.

Burger in a can
Posts: 1116
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:21 pm

Re: UConn Class of 2013

Postby Burger in a can » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:54 pm

Lighthouse28 wrote:I need TWEN help, Please !!

So I went on Twen about a week ago and looked at some of the stuff listed as "new." Now when I went on, I can't find any of the stuff I already looked at, such as the syllabus. Where can I find it now??? I don't want to miss any assignments I might have, so I didn't pay much attention to it before. But I'd like to see all the stuff that has been posted, not just the "new" stuff.


Click on the name of the class, i.e. "Civil Procedure". On the next page you'll see a box to the left labeled "NAVIGATION" (Between the "WELCOME" and "SUPPORT" boxes) that will have links in it like "Syllabus", "Course Materials" etc. The information you're looking for is inside those links.

User avatar
Lighthouse28
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:20 pm

Re: UConn Class of 2013

Postby Lighthouse28 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:23 pm

Burger in a can wrote:
Lighthouse28 wrote:I need TWEN help, Please !!

So I went on Twen about a week ago and looked at some of the stuff listed as "new." Now when I went on, I can't find any of the stuff I already looked at, such as the syllabus. Where can I find it now??? I don't want to miss any assignments I might have, so I didn't pay much attention to it before. But I'd like to see all the stuff that has been posted, not just the "new" stuff.


Click on the name of the class, i.e. "Civil Procedure". On the next page you'll see a box to the left labeled "NAVIGATION" (Between the "WELCOME" and "SUPPORT" boxes) that will have links in it like "Syllabus", "Course Materials" etc. The information you're looking for is inside those links.


I did that, but it doesn't show the documents that I've already seen before. They are no longer listed there :(

registeredpatriot
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:17 pm

Re: UConn Class of 2013

Postby registeredpatriot » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:32 pm

anyone around yet? anyone up for a kick off night at half door?

User avatar
nycmba
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:36 pm

Re: UConn Class of 2013

Postby nycmba » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:29 pm

Anyone have the orientation schedule for Thursday and Friday? I don't remember ever receiving it. Thanks.

Burger in a can
Posts: 1116
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:21 pm

Re: UConn Class of 2013

Postby Burger in a can » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:33 pm

--LinkRemoved--

User avatar
nycmba
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:36 pm

Re: UConn Class of 2013

Postby nycmba » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:38 pm

Burger in a can wrote:http://www.law.uconn.edu/node/4212


Thanks Burger!

Burger in a can
Posts: 1116
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:21 pm

Re: UConn Class of 2013

Postby Burger in a can » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:05 pm

nycmba wrote:
Burger in a can wrote:http://www.law.uconn.edu/node/4212


Thanks Burger!

Any time, homie. :)

User avatar
Drew82abndiv
Posts: 111
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:49 am

Re: UConn Class of 2013

Postby Drew82abndiv » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:42 pm

I'm leading the Elizabeth Park landscaping group on Saturday, anyone a part of my group?

I'll probably see y'all tomorrow night at Wood 'n' Tap...have fun at your first day at orientation!

Drew

Burger in a can
Posts: 1116
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:21 pm

Re: UConn Class of 2013

Postby Burger in a can » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:51 pm

Drew82abndiv wrote:I'm leading the Elizabeth Park landscaping group on Saturday, anyone a part of my group?

I'll probably see y'all tomorrow night at Wood 'n' Tap...have fun at your first day at orientation!

Drew


We don't know which groups we're in yet, I don't think. Also, I thought the community service things were happening on Friday?

User avatar
Drew82abndiv
Posts: 111
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:49 am

Re: UConn Class of 2013

Postby Drew82abndiv » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:00 pm

Good call...I meant Friday (my fault).

Burger in a can
Posts: 1116
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:21 pm

Re: UConn Class of 2013

Postby Burger in a can » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:08 pm

Drew82abndiv wrote:Good call...I meant Friday (my fault).


Haha oh man I was nervous for a minute!

Anyway, thanks again for being our experienced TLS UConn mentor, Drew!




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest