UConn Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Lighthouse28

Re: UConn Class of 2013

Postby Lighthouse28 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:21 pm

Yeah, I didn't think they needed to be repaid, just thought I'd ask anyway lol, Thanks!

I looked at the bottom of the letter, but it didn't say anything about grants, only about the loans and interest rates. It didn't mention anything about how many hours I'd have to work for the work study either. I'll call the office tomorrow!

Now law school is starting to feel like more of a reality than just a dream!! :D Can't wait for ASD next month!!!

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:21 pm

Lighthouse28 wrote:Yeah, I didn't think they needed to be repaid, just thought I'd ask anyway lol, Thanks!

I looked at the bottom of the letter, but it didn't say anything about grants, only about the loans and interest rates. It didn't mention anything about how many hours I'd have to work for the work study either. I'll call the office tomorrow!

Now law school is starting to feel like more of a reality than just a dream!! :D Can't wait for ASD next month!!!

You might have already seen these, but just in case:

Grants:
--LinkRemoved--

Work Study:
--LinkRemoved--

AustinOrgans

Postby AustinOrgans » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:14 am

I've seen only one non-URM applicant on LawSchoolNumbers.com with an LSAT score below 160 accepted to Uconn. This is a limited sample size, of course, but do you think this reflects an effort on Uconn's part to climb the U.S. News rankings?

cjr1298

Postby cjr1298 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:27 am

I would think that since applications are up in general, they are able to be more selective, especially in light of the drop in ranking this year. That being the case, I'm glad I took the LSAT again before applying.

Is it clear whether UCONN's application numbers went up significantly? I've read some articles claiming there was up to a 50% increase at some schools.

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:47 am

I think every school makes an effort to climb in the rankings every year, right?

Also, is this a new employment report? --LinkRemoved--

I think it is- the class of 08 was all I could find last time I looked. 89.9% employed in this economy sounds pretty good to me! By the way, I always read claims that employment statistics such as these are never accurate, and that schools can't be trusted because we don't know the sample size, response rate, etc. Well, UConn's report seems pretty comprehensive to me, but I'm not a statistics major. Am I naive to believe them?

I mean, I don't believe that I will have a starting salary of $160,000, but do you think it's reasonable to believe that I have a fairly good chance of getting a job?

Emma1

Postby Emma1 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:49 pm

What did you think of the interior spaces at UConn? I thought the library was really nice, mock courtroom fine, 1L classroom fine but the cafeteria was subpar as was the admissions office itself. People were great in admissions but they need nicer working area. Carpet was dirty, small space, couch had a wooden block under one side it to keep it up. Not exactly what you want for an admissions office, They deserve better. Seems like they need to update more of their interior space.
Last edited by Emma1 on Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Emma1

Postby Emma1 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:13 pm

Not a strange post at all Burger!!!! I was wondering what others thought of the interior space of Uconn and was reporting what I saw. The condition of admissions office isn't going to change my mind about going to UConn but it is where potential students go when looking at the school. It isn't just about a wooden block under the couch ( or dirty carpets or very small space). It does not present well. I also mentioned the cafeteria and wonder if other interior space is like this. I saw an earlier post about some of the interior space needing renovation. It looked like this to me but I didn't see everthing there. Even the student lounge looked like it was worn. I am posting this on the class of 2013 thread as I wanted it to be constructive criticism. I was hoping be able to get more information on any intended renovation.
Last edited by Emma1 on Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:36 pm

I'm sorry Emma- I deleted that rude post because I didn't write it. Someone thought it might be funny to use my computer while I wasn't looking. :evil:

Emma1

Postby Emma1 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:08 pm

no problem Burger

msfarley

Postby msfarley » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:21 pm

I received my financial aid letter today. Are the tuition remission grants renewable each year? I was wondering how that worked.

cjr1298

Postby cjr1298 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:47 pm

from the financial office:

Tuition Remission Grants are awarded based on financial need. Day and evening students must be registered for at least 9 credits to be considered for a Tuition Remission Grant. Day students are awarded as full-time (12 or more credits) students. If a day student is registered for less than 12 and at least nine credits, the grant will be adjusted. To maintain eligibility, students must reapply every year. The amount awarded depends on the availability of funds and demonstrated financial need (total cost of education minus expected family contribution). All Tuition Remissions are awarded based on the information reported on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Any changes to this information or changes in enrollment must be reported to the Student Finance Office.

cjr1298

Postby cjr1298 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:51 pm

Welcome to public school, the kids have the roofs caving in on their heads in CT schools. I guess the law school admissions people get nasty carpets . . .

Emma1

Postby Emma1 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:57 pm

I think it must be because it is a public school. Seems to need interior renovations. I also presume that alot of students dont use the cafeteria as it is very small. Doesnt look like it could possibily serve very many people. On a positive note we went into West Hartford to find a place to eat and it is really nice. The restaurants and stores are just great as are the neighborhoods. Nice Whole Foods Store there too. Hope everyone gets down that way for ASD.

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:58 am

Emma1 wrote:I think it must be because it is a public school. Seems to need interior renovations. I also presume that alot of students dont use the cafeteria as it is very small. Doesnt look like it could possibily serve very many people. On a positive note we went into West Hartford to find a place to eat and it is really nice. The restaurants and stores are just great as are the neighborhoods. Nice Whole Foods Store there too. Hope everyone gets down that way for ASD.

Yeah West Hartford is great! I am trying to find a place to live in town. I agree that the interior degradation must be due to funding issues, especially because the law school is so separate from the other UConn campuses. I'm not too worried about it though- it's so beautiful on the outside, and the classrooms and library seemed super nice!

nycmba

Postby nycmba » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:20 am

afghan007 wrote:i'm sitting on offers between usc (not sure about extra $) and uconn (in-state all three years.. not sure about extra $) right now

i'm assuming that usc sticker will put me at around $180K debt.. and uconn with just in-state will put me at around $90K debt

usc offers more prestige and a better shot at BIGLAW.. but is in LA, which i've heard nothing but horror stories about the necessities of car ownership AND the east-coast portability of the degree is marginal (also hearsay)

uconn is my comfort zone (i'm finishing my UG here, pretty much a CT lifer, my family is in the tri-state area).. BUT i'm concerned about the job security the degree provides. I think I'd be comfortable with a salary hovering around six figures if my total debt was $90K.

as far as my career prospects.. i'm interested in government work if my finances allow.

AHH. regardless I'll be in at attendance at ASD 4/10 since USC deposit date is 5/1. I look forward to bludgeoning the dean with questions.

I got my MBA at USC and live on the East Coast now. Only consider USC if you are interested in staying in Southern California. While the alumni network is unparalleled in L.A. and opened the doors for many interviews, the degree does not carry much on the east coast.

I was lucky enough to have a Stanford grad, who recognized the value of the school, hire me at my first job back on the east coast. I can't tell how many times people on the east coast think I've gone to UCLA instead of USC. That said, I have no regrets going there for my MBA as I had a free ride. When there's no school debt, it makes dealing with the lack of name recognition a little easier.

If you are a CT lifer, then you should seriously think about staying on the east coast.

That's just my two cents.

Leira

Postby Leira » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:39 pm

Hi everyone! I will be attending uconn this fall as a 1L. I want to bring my fiance with me on the 10th for the on campus section of the day. What do you guys think? Admissions hasn't given me a straight answer.... :oops: maybe no answer is an answer???
Thanks

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:10 pm

8)
Last edited by Burger in a can on Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leira

Postby Leira » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:35 pm

We just got engaged in December. Congrats to you also!!! Good, I will be bringing my fiance then. I am not sure if I missed it...but where is the log in information for that admitted students site? I hadn't even heard of it....

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:36 pm

Leira wrote:We just got engaged in December. Congrats to you also!!! Good, I will be bringing my fiance then. I am not sure if I missed it...but where is the log in information for that admitted students site? I hadn't even heard of it....

I was notified about it via email about 2 weeks ago, which was about a month after being accepted. The email came from this address: webmaster@law.uconn.edu

Maybe you could try emailing them to ask why you haven't heard about it?

Drew82abndiv

Postby Drew82abndiv » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:23 am

Hey there future 1Ls:
I am currently a 2nd semester 2L at UConn ready to start 3L year when you guys get here. That being said, I am pretty knowledgeable about the school (but maybe not so much the living situation around the school as I have always lived about 1hr away). I am involved in a lot of things on campus and already have jobs lined up for this summer and for when I graduate so I can personally say that UConn's ability to place students in jobs is pretty good! I would be happy to speak with any of you either on the forum board or in a PM about any questions you may have regarding the school and the classes.
Finally, I read something about summer reading...DON'T BOTHER! Enjoy your last summer before school...take the time off and love the fact that you don't have to read ANYTHING...it will be the last time that happens for awhile!

Keep in touch!

Drew

Lighthouse28

Postby Lighthouse28 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:45 am

Hey Drew!

I was wondering, I got offered $3,000 work study for the year. I called the financial aid office, and the woman said that most students work 8-10 hours a week for the $3,000 work study. Can you confirm or deny this?? If it's any more than 10 hours a week, then I don't think I would want to do it, and would rather take it out in loans. Do you know anyone who has done the work study and how is their experience with it? Did they have to sacrifice their grades? because my grades are the most important thing to me! Any input?? Thanks!!!

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:36 pm

Hi Drew!

Thanks for posting here. I was hoping you might elaborate on the employment situation. It's awesome that you have jobs lined up. Do you mind telling us (approximately) how your grades/class rank are? And what kinds of jobs you were looking for/were offered? If you don't want to post that information publicly I would also really appreciate a PM (as, I'm sure, would everyone else on this thread :D)

Thanks again for offering your wisdom!

novaUGuconnPG

Postby novaUGuconnPG » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:39 pm

Just got in today and am sending my 250 in tomorrow. Can't remember who posted it but yeah I was a little confused with the state of the admissions office. Much of the campus is beautiful so I'm not concerned. Good to see other fellow future students on this board! I'll be attending the admitted students day in 2 weeks as well

AustinOrgans

Postby AustinOrgans » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:24 pm

I'd like to hear more about your prospective employment as well. Will you be working at a firm in CT? Were there any prospects for you outside of CT? Is it a small, medium or large firm?

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:27 pm

They offered me a scholarship for full first year tuition, but the letter says the scholarship is non-renewable. So I would have to pay full price the final two years? Gimme a break. I'll withdraw soon so someone else can get that money. Dumb way of structuring scholarship offer.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”