UConn Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
User avatar
Lighthouse28
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:20 pm

Re: UConn Class of 2013

Postby Lighthouse28 » Thu May 20, 2010 4:07 pm

insertclevernamehere wrote:
Lighthouse28 wrote:
Drew82abndiv wrote:The picture for your ID will be taken at orientation. Don't worry about the pic you send.

Drew
UConn 3L


Then what is the picture even for?! The one we had to send in?? :?:



Umm I am feeling a little left out/confused. When were we supposed to send a picture?


After you sent in your first deposit, you should have received a letter from admissions requesting your second deposit, official transcripts, and a picture. Read the letter again...

User avatar
Emac
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:02 pm

Re: UConn Class of 2013

Postby Emac » Thu May 20, 2010 4:26 pm

I just checked and my letter didn't mention a picture; however, a picture is listed as an admissions credential on the "New Student To-do List".

I still haven't received any information about access to an admitted student website. Is there such a thing?

User avatar
Emac
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:02 pm

Re: UConn Class of 2013

Postby Emac » Thu May 20, 2010 5:19 pm

Unlike a lot of y'all, I have been out of school for a while so quitting my job and going back to school is a big life change. And, since I did not just finish finals like many of you, I am not mentally exhausted. What I mean is that I am spending way too much time making little decisions for the fall.

A few things...
I need a new laptop. I am almost positive I am going to buy the 15" MacBook Pro. While Mac users can use OneNote by running Windows, I have decided to go with Circus Ponies for my notetaking/outlining program. I use OneNote at work and think it is great, so I hope I won't be disappointed with Circus Ponies.

I purchased a backpack with a special compartment for my future laptop. By the way, I am morally opposed to those backpacks on wheels. Just like vanity license plates, those backpacks are taxing on your dignity.

I am going to try life without cable. It seems hard to justify the expense when I shouldn't have time to watch TV. I still need to figure out which company to use for internet.

I have already read several of the books on the Dean's summer reading list. (Side note: I accidentally ordered two copies of The Children in E4 from Amazon. It isn't worth the hastle of returning it to Amazon to get a $5 refund. So if you want the extra copy let me know, and I will mail it to you.) Has anyone else read some of the Dean's recommendations?

Burger in a can
Posts: 1116
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:21 pm

Re: UConn Class of 2013

Postby Burger in a can » Thu May 20, 2010 5:54 pm

Emac wrote:Unlike a lot of y'all, I have been out of school for a while so quitting my job and going back to school is a big life change. And, since I did not just finish finals like many of you, I am not mentally exhausted. What I mean is that I am spending way too much time making little decisions for the fall.


+1. In fact, I believe I have been out of school a little longer than you! :) Three cheers for being VERY close to 30 and starting law school!

Leira
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:31 pm

Re: UConn Class of 2013

Postby Leira » Fri May 21, 2010 7:13 am

I'm reading a Civil Action and I love it. My brother also got me the book with alot of the pleadings,motions etc in it. I think you can buy it has a pack on amazon. It is awesome. Also, I bought the 15" macbook pro. I think that is the way to go. However, I am a Mac person. Has anyone found any books they really liked on the reading list?

User avatar
Drew82abndiv
Posts: 111
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:49 am

Re: UConn Class of 2013

Postby Drew82abndiv » Fri May 21, 2010 7:27 am

Just a recommendation to y'all...you should stop reading all that. It will not help you at all and you will wish you didn't waste your time with it once you get into law school. Enjoy your last bit of freedom before law school starts. Feel free to disregard my recommendation but you will be finding me on campus and telling me that you wish you had listened to me when you are in your 1L year. Enjoy the summer and forget about the fact that you are starting the 3 years of hell that we affectionately call law school.

Drew
UConn 3L

Michael Scarn
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 9:40 am

Re: UConn Class of 2013

Postby Michael Scarn » Fri May 21, 2010 8:05 am

Drew82abndiv wrote:Just a recommendation to y'all...you should stop reading all that. It will not help you at all and you will wish you didn't waste your time with it once you get into law school. Enjoy your last bit of freedom before law school starts. Feel free to disregard my recommendation but you will be finding me on campus and telling me that you wish you had listened to me when you are in your 1L year. Enjoy the summer and forget about the fact that you are starting the 3 years of hell that we affectionately call law school.

Drew
UConn 3L


I generally agree with this, try to enjoy your summer before you start. If you are looking for something to read though, I would recommend picking up Getting to Maybe. I had Fischl for contracts this year and he is great at preparing you for his exam, but reading Getting to Maybe first made the review easier and gave me a sense of what to expect/what he was looking for. It looks like he's scheduled to teach contracts for one of the day sections this fall. I don't think you need to read it in detail, but it's a good way to understand his thought process for exams. And look at the contract-related examples, none were on the exams but they did come up in class hypos sometimes.

Paul usually teaches one of the property sections too, but not typically in the evening division so I don't know if the book is as helpful with his class but I don't see how it could hurt.

UConn 1L (evening)

User avatar
Lighthouse28
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:20 pm

Re: UConn Class of 2013

Postby Lighthouse28 » Fri May 21, 2010 8:45 am

Drew82abndiv wrote:Just a recommendation to y'all...you should stop reading all that. It will not help you at all and you will wish you didn't waste your time with it once you get into law school. Enjoy your last bit of freedom before law school starts. Feel free to disregard my recommendation but you will be finding me on campus and telling me that you wish you had listened to me when you are in your 1L year. Enjoy the summer and forget about the fact that you are starting the 3 years of hell that we affectionately call law school.

Drew
UConn 3L


Yeah, the Dean said the same thing at the breakfast. Someone asked him if and what we should read/study before law school to prepare, and he said nothing.

User avatar
Emac
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:02 pm

Re: UConn Class of 2013

Postby Emac » Fri May 21, 2010 9:14 am

Leira wrote:I'm reading a Civil Action and I love it. My brother also got me the book with alot of the pleadings,motions etc in it. I think you can buy it has a pack on amazon. It is awesome. Also, I bought the 15" macbook pro. I think that is the way to go. However, I am a Mac person. Has anyone found any books they really liked on the reading list?


Since I work at a hospital and am involved in patient safety initiatives, I enjoyed The Malpractice Myth and Damages. The Buffalo Creek Disaster is a great, quick read. This weekend I am going to start I Dissent: Great Opposing Opinions in Landmark Supreme Court Cases.

As far as law school prep books, I have yet to start Getting to Maybe, but it is in my stack. I've read DeLaney's Learning Legal Reasoning, Thinking Like a Lawyer by Schauer (pretty dry), and The Legal Analyst: A Toolkit for Thinking about the Law by Farnsworth (not bad).

I know that I don't need to read these books or do anything to prep this summer. But I started one and remembered how much I enjoy reading books. Reading them has been getting me excited about law school and back in the habit of reading things other than financial statements, internal reports, etc. Also, I don't really need to relax this summer because I have been relaxing for the last five years. If I had just graduated from college like a lot of the entering class, believe me the last thing I would be doing is reading books on the recommended list. :D

User avatar
Drew82abndiv
Posts: 111
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:49 am

Re: UConn Class of 2013

Postby Drew82abndiv » Fri May 21, 2010 9:27 am

And believe me, you will not be the only person coming in after a break. I also had 5 years in between college and law school. Again, feel free to disregard what I am saying and good thing you read Buffalo Creek because a lot of times you read that in Civ Pro anyhow, so you will be ahead. I'm just saying that you will more than get your fill of reading when you get in. But do what makes you happy, what do I know?!

EastBound&Down
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 9:56 pm

Re: UConn Class of 2013

Postby EastBound&Down » Mon May 24, 2010 10:07 pm

Hi everyone.

I just recently decided to go to UCONN and I am feeling pretty good about the decision. I am actually not going to start until the Fall of 2011. I decided to defer to get some traveling in. I have been doing some research on UCONN and the city of Hartford. I have some questions, which may have already been answered, but maybe someone can help me anyways.

1. Does UCONN Law have a gym? I have done some quick googling and searching on their website and it doesn't seem like they do.

2. Does anyone know what Hartford transportation is like? I do not own a car and really would rather not buy one. I figure the only places I will be going is school, the grocery store and the gym. If I can find residence in a place that is close to all three, I would forgo the car.

3. Because I haven't sent in my deposit, I don't have to until October,I can't seem to access the Assignments page on their website. I was hoping someone could tell me whats in there. I wanted to get a rough idea of how much reading we would be doing. It would be nice to look at a syllabus.

Thank You.

User avatar
Emac
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:02 pm

Re: UConn Class of 2013

Postby Emac » Tue May 25, 2010 4:22 pm

Can anyone tell me if this house is in a bad section of town? It is the only thing I have been able to find that has a fenced yard...but a fenced yard will be useless if I am afraid to open my back door.

78 Natick Street Hartford, CT 06106

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source= ... 87969&z=13

Thank you!

User avatar
Lighthouse28
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:20 pm

Re: UConn Class of 2013

Postby Lighthouse28 » Wed May 26, 2010 8:21 am

Do we have assignments and readings to do before classes begin?! :o

User avatar
lallygag
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:41 pm

Re: UConn Class of 2013

Postby lallygag » Wed May 26, 2010 10:44 am

EastBound&Down wrote:Hi everyone.

I just recently decided to go to UCONN and I am feeling pretty good about the decision. I am actually not going to start until the Fall of 2011. I decided to defer to get some traveling in. I have been doing some research on UCONN and the city of Hartford. I have some questions, which may have already been answered, but maybe someone can help me anyways.

1. Does UCONN Law have a gym? I have done some quick googling and searching on their website and it doesn't seem like they do.

2. Does anyone know what Hartford transportation is like? I do not own a car and really would rather not buy one. I figure the only places I will be going is school, the grocery store and the gym. If I can find residence in a place that is close to all three, I would forgo the car.

3. Because I haven't sent in my deposit, I don't have to until October,I can't seem to access the Assignments page on their website. I was hoping someone could tell me whats in there. I wanted to get a rough idea of how much reading we would be doing. It would be nice to look at a syllabus.

Thank You.


Hey-

Congrats on your decision!

2. From what I've heard (and someone mentioned at the ASD panel) it seems a car would be very useful to have. The main form of public transportation in Hartford is the bus, but I can't elaborate as to how well it runs.

3. As for assignments, I haven't heard of anything definite yet. The "First Assignments" page is open to anyone and it brings you to the course list, but to view specific course information (probably reading list, etc) you need a NetID to log in and we haven't gotten those yet. This is as far as I got for a CivPro course: --LinkRemoved--

User avatar
Emac
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:02 pm

Re: UConn Class of 2013

Postby Emac » Wed May 26, 2010 12:59 pm

EastBound&Down wrote:Hi everyone.

I just recently decided to go to UCONN and I am feeling pretty good about the decision. I am actually not going to start until the Fall of 2011. I decided to defer to get some traveling in. I have been doing some research on UCONN and the city of Hartford. I have some questions, which may have already been answered, but maybe someone can help me anyways.

1. Does UCONN Law have a gym? I have done some quick googling and searching on their website and it doesn't seem like they do.

2. Does anyone know what Hartford transportation is like? I do not own a car and really would rather not buy one. I figure the only places I will be going is school, the grocery store and the gym. If I can find residence in a place that is close to all three, I would forgo the car.

3. Because I haven't sent in my deposit, I don't have to until October,I can't seem to access the Assignments page on their website. I was hoping someone could tell me whats in there. I wanted to get a rough idea of how much reading we would be doing. It would be nice to look at a syllabus.

Thank You.


1. During my campus tour, the guide mentioned that the gym is in the basement of one of the buildings. I cannot remember which building though. And, he did not offer to show us the gym.

EastBound&Down
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 9:56 pm

Re: UConn Class of 2013

Postby EastBound&Down » Wed May 26, 2010 11:39 pm

Thanks guys! I appreciate the information.

Burger in a can
Posts: 1116
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:21 pm

Re: UConn Class of 2013

Postby Burger in a can » Fri May 28, 2010 3:53 pm

Do you guys think that we'll get some exciting info after the June 1st deadline? I am still hoping for a pamphlet entitled, "So you've decided to become a Law Husky!" or at least an email with some information about what and where and when we're supposed to be doing.

Regarding summer reading, I am just delving into some challenging fiction and dense (but enjoyable) non fiction to pump up my reading muscles. I might check out one or two of the pre-law school books but I don't want to train myself with studying techniques that might not work for me. I followed the rowdy and pretty much unanimous TLS endorsement of the LG/LR Bibles while prepping for the LSAT, and my scores plummeted after reading it. I had to unlearn those gimmicks and relearn how to trust my own brain before my scores came back up. I definitely don't want to make the same mistake in law school!

insertclevernamehere
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:19 am

Re: UConn Class of 2013

Postby insertclevernamehere » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:34 pm

Anyone else having a hard time finding a place in West Hartford?

I have been to 4 dumpy apartments so far...nice landlords, just not well maintained settings.

I am getting to the point where I just might throw down a deposit out of frustration (strangely mirroring the experience of my cycle, though I am happy I'm a Husky!)

cjr1298
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: UConn Class of 2013

Postby cjr1298 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:11 pm

I've been incredibly busy and out of the loop- has anyone gotten a password/login information for classes, schedules, etc. or any more information from admissions?

curly3426
Posts: 283
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 12:36 pm

Re: UConn Class of 2013

Postby curly3426 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:19 pm

Hey guys,

I know this isn't the right forum, but would LOVE to hear what made you choose UCONN over other law schools... and would love to find out some of your numbers.

I am applying to law school this fall and UCONN is on my radar.... BC UG 3.755 GPA - taking LSAT in oct (but have scored lowest 158 and highest 167 - and a bunch in the middle.... median probably 163 164)

thanks so much!

Burger in a can
Posts: 1116
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:21 pm

Re: UConn Class of 2013

Postby Burger in a can » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:59 pm

cjr1298 wrote:I've been incredibly busy and out of the loop- has anyone gotten a password/login information for classes, schedules, etc. or any more information from admissions?


+1. If anyone hears anything new, please post it here! Thanks.

Michael Scarn
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 9:40 am

Re: UConn Class of 2013

Postby Michael Scarn » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:16 am

You probably haven't missed anything, I think we got our information in late July/early August last year. I remember being frustrated that it took that long, and a few people brought it up to administrators when they asked for our feedback during orientation. Hopefully you get something early, but I wouldn't necessarily count on it.

User avatar
Emac
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:02 pm

Re: UConn Class of 2013

Postby Emac » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:57 am

I think it is kinda crappy that I will be required to pay my tuition by July, but they won't have sent me anything--not even a login to the system.

I took a trip up to CT this past weekend. I opted for West Hartford rather than the West End, which seemed a bit sketchy.

The place I am renting is more expensive than I had planned on ($1500--ouch!), but it is worth it to be in a better neighborhood. I managed to find a small two bedroom house with a fenced in backyard for my two dogs. It has a large deck, which will be great for barbeques. Hopefully, I will like some of you guys and I can have y'all over for burgers and beer :)

Burger in a can
Posts: 1116
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:21 pm

Re: UConn Class of 2013

Postby Burger in a can » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:16 pm

Emac wrote:I think it is kinda crappy that I will be required to pay my tuition by July, but they won't have sent me anything--not even a login to the system.

I took a trip up to CT this past weekend. I opted for West Hartford rather than the West End, which seemed a bit sketchy.

The place I am renting is more expensive than I had planned on ($1500--ouch!), but it is worth it to be in a better neighborhood. I managed to find a small two bedroom house with a fenced in backyard for my two dogs. It has a large deck, which will be great for barbeques. Hopefully, I will like some of you guys and I can have y'all over for burgers and beer :)


Congrats! I am unpacking in my new apartment right now! Moving is terrible, but I actually enjoy the unpacking part.

User avatar
Lighthouse28
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:20 pm

Re: UConn Class of 2013

Postby Lighthouse28 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:39 pm

Hey Burger,

I just looked at the FB group for our UConn class, but the box that shows how many members there are is gone ! What happened to it ?




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest