UConn Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
cjr1298

Re: UConn Class of 2013

Postby cjr1298 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:01 pm

Whole foods!

I'm on a self imposed hiatus- Too many tempting prepared foods and exotic coffees!! My grocery bill was so bad that my husband was trying to push me out the door the whole time we were there because he figured out what it was costing us to be there by the minute, so every minute was worth money!

Burger, I know EXACTLY what you mean, I feel like I've had more correspondence with the schools that didn't accept me! Seriously though, I keep looking at the receipt for the first payment just to remind myself that I am in fact going to UCONN. I was also going to send my second payment in thinking maybe it would get me a catalog or something. :)

Lighthouse28

Postby Lighthouse28 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:33 pm

Yeah, I saw the Whole Foods. Is there any other grocery store that is maybe within the budget of a student? lol

lallygag

Postby lallygag » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:15 am

Hey Lighthouse-

I found 2 Stop & Shops, one in Hartford and one in West Hartford. [Not sure where you're from and if you have them, but S&S is your average grocery store, and some even have a small organic/natural food selection.]

150 New Park Avenue, Hartford and

1235 Farmington Avenue, West Hartford

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:27 am

+1 on Stop & Shop. There is also a Shaw's on Prospect Avenue, and a Trader Joe's somewhere too. I love that there are other nerds out there who also worry about this stuff and research it! :)

Lighthouse28

Postby Lighthouse28 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:29 pm

Cool, thanks guys! I've actually never been to either a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's lol, will have to check them out!

Never heard of either Stop & Shop or Shaw's, but at least now I know they are grocery stores!! Thank you :D

cjr1298

Postby cjr1298 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:06 pm

I think Trader Joe's is off exit 40, much better deals than WF, the only downside is that if you need a spice or something, they might not have it.

AustinOrgans

Postby AustinOrgans » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:01 pm

Going back to Burger's earlier question, I recently mailed in my first deposit and all the required documentation (tax returns, W-2s, etc.) for the Finance Office. I just got a form from the Finance Office for electing loans, work study, etc. But I'm with you guys, I would like a catalog or something like that.

I'm not all that bothered by the drop in ranking. I'm sure I'll stop worrying about that stuff once I'm in school. Who knows, maybe the GPAs and LSAT scores of the incoming class of 2013 will bring Uconn into the top 50 for next year's rankings :wink:

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:11 am

I'm not worried about the rankings at all, and I dont even believe that they matter for our little regional school, but just for fun I thought I'd post UConn's rankings over the past decade for anyone who is interested:

2000: 41
2001: 44
2002: 43
2003: 41
2004: 44
2005: 50
2006: 50
2007: 48
2008: 48
2009: 46
2010: 52
2011: 54

If this looks like a depressing decline to you, consider this regional list, for the law schools in the Northeast*:

Top 100
1: Yale
2: Harvard
3: Columbia
4: NYU
5: Penn
6: Cornell
8: Boston University
9: Boston College
10: Fordham
11: Cardozo
12: UConn
13: Brooklyn
14: Pitt
14: Villanova
16: Penn State
17: Seton Hall
17: St. Johns
17: Temple
20: Rutgers-Camden
20: Rutgers-Newark
22: Hofstra
22: Northeastern
22: Syracuse

3rd TIER: (alphabetical order)
-Albany
-Franklin Pierce
-New York Law School
-Pace
-Quinnipiac
-Suffolk
-Suny Buffalo
-UMaine
-Vermont Law School

4th TIER: (alphabetical order)
-CUNY-Queens
-Duquesne
-New England School of Law
-Roger Williams
-Touro College
-Western New England College

-Drexel (Unranked)

12th place out of 41 schools is pretty great if you ask me! :D

*Based upon my personal definition of the Northeast, which is New England, New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania.

cjr1298

Postby cjr1298 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:23 pm

I think for the vast majority of practicing attorneys, the rankings are only semi-important. I know attorneys who make a half a million a year who went to Pace . . .

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:11 pm

cjr1298 wrote:I think for the vast majority of practicing attorneys, the rankings are only semi-important. I know attorneys who make a half a million a year who went to Pace . . .

Agreed, and even when they mean something, I believe that they are utterly meaningless outside of the top 30. I just made the charts above for fun to kill some time... Can't. Wait. To. Start. Law. School. :shock:

Lighthouse28

Postby Lighthouse28 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:18 am

So the apartment complex I got an apartment in has Comcast as their internet/cable provider. I went to the comcast website, and it's mad expensive! Like $130 for cable/TV ! Back in grad school I had AT&T UVerse and paid like $90 for both. How depressing :( And then I went to see what it would be if I get internet only, but apparently the prices listed for internet are for people who already have another comcast service, and the cheapest was like $42/month ? What is up with that??? What can I do for internet???

cjr1298

Postby cjr1298 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:26 pm

I have AT&T for my internet service, cell phone, and land line and Direct TV for cable, I just couldn't deal with Charter anymore. I don't know off hand what we pay, but I know it was a substantial reduction to switch over.

Emac

Postby Emac » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:40 pm

Lighthouse28 wrote:So the apartment complex I got an apartment in has Comcast as their internet/cable provider. I went to the comcast website, and it's mad expensive! Like $130 for cable/TV ! Back in grad school I had AT&T UVerse and paid like $90 for both. How depressing :( And then I went to see what it would be if I get internet only, but apparently the prices listed for internet are for people who already have another comcast service, and the cheapest was like $42/month ? What is up with that??? What can I do for internet???

Not only are the prices high, but Comcast has quite possibly the worst customer service. They kept overcharging me on my monthly bill and I would have to call each month and get the bill corrected--this went on for six months. You should avoid using Comcast if you can.

Lighthouse28

Postby Lighthouse28 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:17 pm

oh no :( I think all my apartment building offers is Comcast though!! :( What do other people in CT use??? I wish I could find something else. I loved AT&T Uverse. It was awesome and I never had any problems with them overcharging me or anything!

lallygag

Postby lallygag » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:30 pm

Lighthouse28 wrote:oh no :( I think all my apartment building offers is Comcast though!! :( What do other people in CT use??? I wish I could find something else. I loved AT&T Uverse. It was awesome and I never had any problems with them overcharging me or anything!

Did you try shopping for a bundle? I found a cable/internet bundle for $80/month for the first 6 months (and $125/month after that...) Comcast is really expensive but when you call to order they usually try to sell you their current deal. Last August they signed me up for a student package (when I wasn't even a student) and that knocked off like $60. So just ask what deals they may have, maybe they'll be offering the student deal later on close to when school starts.

Lighthouse28

Postby Lighthouse28 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:49 pm

lallygag wrote:
Lighthouse28 wrote:oh no :( I think all my apartment building offers is Comcast though!! :( What do other people in CT use??? I wish I could find something else. I loved AT&T Uverse. It was awesome and I never had any problems with them overcharging me or anything!

Did you try shopping for a bundle? I found a cable/internet bundle for $80/month for the first 6 months (and $125/month after that...) Comcast is really expensive but when you call to order they usually try to sell you their current deal. Last August they signed me up for a student package (when I wasn't even a student) and that knocked off like $60. So just ask what deals they may have, maybe they'll be offering the student deal later on close to when school starts.

Is the bundle you speak of with Comcast? I saw a bundle for internet/cable for like $90 first 6 months and I think it was $140 after that! That's mad expensive! First 6 months deal wouldn't be so bad, but I paid $88/month for internet/cable with AT&T UVerse ! So the $140 seriously pisses me off. That's way too much. And the area doesn't have AT&T Uverse :( you think they'll offer some student special? I can live without cable if I have to (thank God for Hulu and surfthechannel.com), but I NEED internet, and on the comcast website, it seems they don't offer JUST internet to anyone. I want AT&T :*(

aproso

Postby aproso » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:55 pm

For those of you looking for housing, I've had a lot of luck with CraigsList. People are really good about getting back to you when you email/call. I actually just sent in my security deposit yesterday for my apartment. It's right on Girard Ave. near the law school.

Not being familiar with CT at all (finishing up at UMD), I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me as to the public transportation in/around Hartford? I won't have a car and having been used to the DC metro for the past few years, I'm curious as to the accessibility of buses, etc. in Hartford. Any information is appreciated!

insertclevernamehere

Postby insertclevernamehere » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:08 pm

aproso wrote:For those of you looking for housing, I've had a lot of luck with CraigsList. People are really good about getting back to you when you email/call. I actually just sent in my security deposit yesterday for my apartment. It's right on Girard Ave. near the law school.

Not being familiar with CT at all (finishing up at UMD), I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me as to the public transportation in/around Hartford? I won't have a car and having been used to the DC metro for the past few years, I'm curious as to the accessibility of buses, etc. in Hartford. Any information is appreciated!

This has been discussed in one of the two UConn threads (you could probably find it by scrolling through) but public transportation in Hartford is nothing to speak of. Being on Girard you should be fine with getting to and from school (I am assuming its like a 5-10 minute walk?) but to do things like grocery shopping and other errands a car is almost a necessity. I am sure you can make a friend though and bum rides, or maybe invest in a vespa (haha this is something I have always wanted to do).

lallygag

Postby lallygag » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:54 pm

It seems a couple of you have finalized/done quite some research on apartments so I was wondering: are the leases you've encountered flexible? As in, do you think it's possible to find a month-by-month lease, or 9 month lease? I ask because I'd really be interested in something month-to-month and any lease I've ever dealt with has been a 12-month lease. Looking on craigslist for Hartford I couldn't really tell what the general consensus is?

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:24 pm

Lighthouse28 wrote:
Is the bundle you speak of with Comcast? I saw a bundle for internet/cable for like $90 first 6 months and I think it was $140 after that! That's mad expensive! First 6 months deal wouldn't be so bad, but I paid $88/month for internet/cable with AT&T UVerse ! So the $140 seriously pisses me off. That's way too much. And the area doesn't have AT&T Uverse :( you think they'll offer some student special? I can live without cable if I have to (thank God for Hulu and surfthechannel.com), but I NEED internet, and on the comcast website, it seems they don't offer JUST internet to anyone. I want AT&T :*(

Have you considered a DSL connection through AT&T? If the apartment has a landline hookup then you can probably get DSL from a couple of different companies, and it's generally cheaper than cable. It's also not that slow. I had DSL at my last place and I'm on cable now, and the DSL was noticeably quicker. Good luck!

Lighthouse28

Postby Lighthouse28 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:30 pm

Burger in a can wrote:
Lighthouse28 wrote:

Have you considered a DSL connection through AT&T? If the apartment has a landline hookup then you can probably get DSL from a couple of different companies, and it's generally cheaper than cable. It's also not that slow. I had DSL at my last place and I'm on cable now, and the DSL was noticeably quicker. Good luck!

Oh, that never occurred to me. How much did you pay for the DSL, if you don't mind me asking? And who was your provider?

aproso

Postby aproso » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:53 pm

lallygag wrote:It seems a couple of you have finalized/done quite some research on apartments so I was wondering: are the leases you've encountered flexible? As in, do you think it's possible to find a month-by-month lease, or 9 month lease? I ask because I'd really be interested in something month-to-month and any lease I've ever dealt with has been a 12-month lease. Looking on craigslist for Hartford I couldn't really tell what the general consensus is?

Mine is a 12-month lease, and that seemed to be mostly the case on the places that I was calling, although a lot of them seemed to be flexible in the summer months with jobs, subletting, etc.

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:49 pm

Lighthouse28 wrote:
Burger in a can wrote:
Lighthouse28 wrote:

Oh, that never occurred to me. How much did you pay for the DSL, if you don't mind me asking? And who was your provider?

I had AT&T DSL and I don't remember exactly how much it cost, but if you look at their website it looks like it starts at about $20/month for the slow grade, up to $40 for the good stuff. I forgot to mention in my last post that in my experience DSL was also more reliable. I have cable broadband right now through Charter and it stops working all the time for no apparent reason. DSL worked as long as the landline worked, which is pretty much all the time.

Emac

Postby Emac » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:55 am

aproso wrote:For those of you looking for housing, I've had a lot of luck with CraigsList. People are really good about getting back to you when you email/call. I actually just sent in my security deposit yesterday for my apartment. It's right on Girard Ave. near the law school.

Good to know I won't be the only one moving from Maryland. We can commiserate when we are unable to cope with the New England winters!

Emac

Postby Emac » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:04 am

I still haven't figured out a timeline yet for my move to CT. I am curious as to when other people are starting their leases, moving, etc.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”