UConn Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Lighthouse28

Bronze

Re: UConn Class of 2013

Post by Lighthouse28 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:04 am

Emac wrote:I still haven't figured out a timeline yet for my move to CT. I am curious as to when other people are starting their leases, moving, etc.
I'm moving into my new apartment on August 1. I live 4 hours away from Hartford, but thought I should move in early to get all settled in and whatnot before classes start. I want to feel at home before being swamped with work.

aproso

New

Post by aproso » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:20 pm

Emac wrote:
aproso wrote:For those of you looking for housing, I've had a lot of luck with CraigsList. People are really good about getting back to you when you email/call. I actually just sent in my security deposit yesterday for my apartment. It's right on Girard Ave. near the law school.

Not being familiar with CT at all (finishing up at UMD), I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me as to the public transportation in/around Hartford? I won't have a car and having been used to the DC metro for the past few years, I'm curious as to the accessibility of buses, etc. in Hartford. Any information is appreciated!
Good to know I won't be the only one moving from Maryland. We can commiserate when we are unable to cope with the New England winters!
That's great! Hopefully it won't be too terrible :? ... In response to your timeline, my lease starts July 1, but I'm probably only going to take some things up sporadically, and then make the official move early/mid August.

lawdogg

New

Post by lawdogg » Sun May 02, 2010 10:04 pm

Hi All:

My name is Ryan. UConn class of 2013!

I'm from Vermont. BSME from Lafayette College, class of 06.

Nice to meet you all! I have some reading to do here.

//Ryan

-P.S. A little worried about the process of obtaining CT residency. Will be calling the admissions office tomorrow, but so far I've not found a concise, thorough explanation, with deadlines.

Burger in a can

Silver

Post by Burger in a can » Sun May 02, 2010 10:44 pm

lawdogg wrote:Hi All:

//Ryan

-P.S. A little worried about the process of obtaining CT residency. Will be calling the admissions office tomorrow, but so far I've not found a concise, thorough explanation, with deadlines.
Hi Ryan,

This should help to answer some residency questions: --LinkRemoved--

(it applies to the undergrad program specifically, but I'm sure that the same rules must apply at the law school)

lawdogg

New

Post by lawdogg » Sun May 02, 2010 11:55 pm

Thank you for the link!

I've actually read the statutes and read the other posted info about getting residency. There are several very large gaps between what is contained in the statutes, and what is postulated by UConn Law's practice of students obtaining in-state tuition L2 and L3. I forget where I read about it so forgive my lack of a link for now .. it is just confusing (to me).

Thanks again.

//Ryan

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Burger in a can

Silver

Post by Burger in a can » Mon May 03, 2010 1:17 am

lawdogg wrote:Thank you for the link!

I've actually read the statutes and read the other posted info about getting residency. There are several very large gaps between what is contained in the statutes, and what is postulated by UConn Law's practice of students obtaining in-state tuition L2 and L3. I forget where I read about it so forgive my lack of a link for now .. it is just confusing (to me).

Thanks again.

//Ryan
I really hope I don't sound like a jerk here, because I am trying to help, but here's the relevant information from the statutes:
(1) The establishment of a new domicile in this state by an emancipated person has not occurred until he has resided in this state for a period of not less than one year;

(2) No emancipated person shall be deemed to have gained residence while attending any educational institution in this state as a full-time student, as such status is defined by the governing board of such institution, in the absence of a clear demonstration that he has established domicile in the state;
So you need to demonstrate that you have established a domicile in the state, and in order to do that you need to have resided in the state for at least a year. UConn has a list of specific things you need to submit to them to prove that you have established a domicile, (available here: http://www.law.uconn.edu/bursars-office ... -residency) but the main idea is you just need to live in CT for a year. I hope this helps- if not, maybe you could describe what you find to be confusing. I know at least one other TLS member is a UConn student who came in from out of state. Good luck!

EDIT: I just realized that I assumed that you will classify as an emancipated person...

lallygag

New

Post by lallygag » Mon May 03, 2010 11:35 am

lawdogg wrote:Hi All:

//Ryan

I found this to be somewhat helpful too.

http://admissions.classcaster.org/blog/ ... te_tuition

It's an "interview" with the Director of Student Services on obtaining CT residency. Seems like we'll attend at least one meeting about this once we get on campus (good to know)

Burger in a can

Silver

Post by Burger in a can » Tue May 11, 2010 5:13 pm

Man, it sure is quiet in here.

Emac

New

Post by Emac » Tue May 11, 2010 5:26 pm

I haven't received anything from U Conn in a few weeks. The last thing they sent me was a letter acknowledging my payment of $500 and asking me to send official transcripts.

Have y'all found housing yet?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Burger in a can

Silver

Post by Burger in a can » Tue May 11, 2010 5:46 pm

Last edited by Burger in a can on Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lighthouse28

Bronze

Post by Lighthouse28 » Tue May 11, 2010 6:55 pm

I come to TLS everyday checking to see if there are any new posts. It is awfully quiet on the UConn thread!

I still have to send in my 2nd payment, but I sent in my transcripts. Maybe I should call and see if they have received them. Does anyone know what they need a picture for? Can it be casual or does it have to be passport size or whatever?

And I got an apartment too in West Hartford (4-5 minute drive to campus) and am very excited to move in, too!! :D Moving in August 1, which actually isn't that far off now that I think about it :o

Cara317

New

Post by Cara317 » Tue May 11, 2010 8:01 pm

Hey everyone! I'm excited to be joining you all at UConn next year. I just saw that some of you were able to access the housing list...help? Also-just a fun story...I'm from NY, but living in North Carolina now, and someone asked me where I was going to law school...when I told them "UConn", they said "In Alaska?! Wow!"

Burger in a can

Silver

Post by Burger in a can » Wed May 12, 2010 12:09 am

Lighthouse28 wrote:I come to TLS everyday checking to see if there are any new posts.
Me too. I guess we're all just sort of waiting for school to start? Is there anything else to talk about? :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lighthouse28

Bronze

Post by Lighthouse28 » Wed May 12, 2010 8:21 am

Burger in a can wrote:
Lighthouse28 wrote:I come to TLS everyday checking to see if there are any new posts.
Me too. I guess we're all just sort of waiting for school to start? Is there anything else to talk about? :)
Do you watch LOST? If so, what do you think of last night's episode?! I'm so sad it's all about to end :(

princesssT

New

Post by princesssT » Wed May 12, 2010 10:39 am

Hi, so I have been creeping on this forum for awhile, but I thought it was time I actually posted something. So, how are you guys going about finding roomates, if doing so?

aproso

New

Post by aproso » Wed May 12, 2010 6:47 pm

Lighthouse28 wrote:I come to TLS everyday checking to see if there are any new posts. It is awfully quiet on the UConn thread!

I still have to send in my 2nd payment, but I sent in my transcripts. Maybe I should call and see if they have received them. Does anyone know what they need a picture for? Can it be casual or does it have to be passport size or whatever?

And I got an apartment too in West Hartford (4-5 minute drive to campus) and am very excited to move in, too!! :D Moving in August 1, which actually isn't that far off now that I think about it :o

My suspicion is that they are going to use the picture for our school ID or something along those lines. Better make it a good one! :) And they said if you're sending in hard copies of the photos they should be passport sized, which leads me to think it's for the ID.

nycmba

New

Post by nycmba » Wed May 12, 2010 10:04 pm

princesssT wrote:Hi, so I have been creeping on this forum for awhile, but I thought it was time I actually posted something. So, how are you guys going about finding roomates, if doing so?
I'm waiting until the School sends us our logins. There has got to be a board or mailing list of some kind as opposed to posting on a public board like this one.

The correct term is lurking, not creeping. Creeping sounds so, uh, creepy.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Lighthouse28

Bronze

Post by Lighthouse28 » Wed May 12, 2010 10:12 pm

nycmba wrote:
The correct term is lurking, not creeping. Creeping sounds so, uh, creepy.
lool

lallygag

New

Post by lallygag » Thu May 13, 2010 10:03 am

princesssT wrote:Hi, so I have been creeping on this forum for awhile, but I thought it was time I actually posted something. So, how are you guys going about finding roomates, if doing so?
Check the UConn 2013 facebook group [the link is somwhere in this forum...] I saw some people on there trying to figure out the roomate situation/looking for roomates.

Drew82abndiv

Bronze

Post by Drew82abndiv » Wed May 19, 2010 2:27 pm

The picture for your ID will be taken at orientation. Don't worry about the pic you send.

Drew
UConn 3L

Lighthouse28

Bronze

Post by Lighthouse28 » Wed May 19, 2010 2:32 pm

Drew82abndiv wrote:The picture for your ID will be taken at orientation. Don't worry about the pic you send.

Drew
UConn 3L
Then what is the picture even for?! The one we had to send in?? :?:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Drew82abndiv

Bronze

Post by Drew82abndiv » Wed May 19, 2010 2:36 pm

To be quite honest, I'm not sure...it could very well be Karen and the other Staff's way of wanting to get to know what the class looks like so they can recognize you when you come...or perhaps they are putting together a little introductory facebook (not online but an actual book) to hand out at orientation which would be earlier than they have done things in the past. All this is speculation but one thing I know for sure having been an orientation leader last year and having gone through it the year before is that your pic will be taken at orientation so look nice then!

chisoxfan

New

Post by chisoxfan » Thu May 20, 2010 10:13 am

I'm mailing in my second deposit today- where are we sending these? Do we send them to the student finance office or to the admissions office? Thanks!

insertclevernamehere

Bronze

Post by insertclevernamehere » Thu May 20, 2010 10:42 am

Lighthouse28 wrote:
Drew82abndiv wrote:The picture for your ID will be taken at orientation. Don't worry about the pic you send.

Drew
UConn 3L

Umm I am feeling a little left out/confused. When were we supposed to send a picture?

Michael Scarn

New

Post by Michael Scarn » Thu May 20, 2010 3:09 pm

Lighthouse28 wrote:

Drew
UConn 3L
I had one prof this year who put our pictures on the class roster so he could recognize people when cold-calling. I assumed he used the pictures we mailed in, so something must be available to faculty at the very least. I never received a printed facebook, or saw the picture definitively used anywhere (including our ID).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”