UConn Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
afghan007

Bronze

Re: UConn Class of 2013

Post by afghan007 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:48 pm

Leira wrote:Lallygag-
I am assuming you are coming down I84 from the pike. I would look into Rein's Deli in Vernon. It is awesome. Also, West Hartford Center and Blueback square have some great shopping and food. For food in downtown Hartford my sister raves about Trumbull Kitchen and Vito's on the park.
this. buckland hills shopping center off Exit 62 (I84) is also fantastic

lallygag

New

Post by lallygag » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:23 pm

sounds good so far! thanks for the responses :)

Burger in a can

Silver

Post by Burger in a can » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:20 am

I have been on a housing search for about a week and a half now... it's sort of rough out there! But I have faith that more places will open up as the summer begins.

I also just want to say that I am still SUPER EXCITED to go to UConn!!!! :mrgreen:

lallygag

New

Post by lallygag » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:48 am

Also one more housing resource has yet to become available for us. When I went on a campus tour recently I was told there is a housing list especially for Uconn law students. The listings are for places people want to rent out to Uconn students and they are literally not far at all from the school (the 3L pointed to some houses across the street). I found the housing link but it seems we need a Uconn Net ID to log in (--LinkRemoved--), so there is hope :)

Lighthouse28

Bronze

Post by Lighthouse28 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:36 am

When will we get our UConn Net IDs? I really need to be able to use that housing feature. I'm going apartment hunting next weekend, so I feel so unprepared :( Anyone know of any decent apartment complexes on the west side that allow cats??? for around $700?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Emac

New

Post by Emac » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:10 pm

Lighthouse28 wrote:When will we get our UConn Net IDs? I really need to be able to use that housing feature. I'm going apartment hunting next weekend, so I feel so unprepared :( Anyone know of any decent apartment complexes on the west side that allow cats??? for around $700?
You shouldn't have much of a problem finding a place that allows cats. Also, on Craigslist you can filter the apts/housing section so that it only displays apartments that allow cats and/or dogs. I rely on that filtering function since I have two big dogs--one is 65 lbs and the other is 85 lbs--but my heart sinks when I notice that a landlord only allows dogs that weigh under 25 lbs.

Emac

New

Post by Emac » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:17 pm

I posted this on the other UConn thread too.

I need to rent a house / duplex with a fenced yard. I am willing to drive up to 20 minutes to get to campus. Any neighborhood / town recommendations would be much appreciated.

Burger in a can

Silver

Post by Burger in a can » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:17 pm

Emac wrote:
Lighthouse28 wrote:When will we get our UConn Net IDs? I really need to be able to use that housing feature. I'm going apartment hunting next weekend, so I feel so unprepared :( Anyone know of any decent apartment complexes on the west side that allow cats??? for around $700?
You shouldn't have much of a problem finding a place that allows cats. Also, on Craigslist you can filter the apts/housing section so that it only displays apartments that allow cats and/or dogs. I rely on that filtering function since I have two big dogs--one is 65 lbs and the other is 85 lbs--but my heart sinks when I notice that a landlord only allows dogs that weigh under 25 lbs.
I have two dogs too, and I've been having trouble finding a place because of the dog situation. We should keep each other posted!

Also, we've been discussing neighborhoods and towns on both threads. If you look back a couple of pages I think you'll find some information. There are some posters on here who live in immediate area, and those would be the best people to ask. (I live about an hour away but I'm tired of giving people housing advice based upon my limited knowledge and then being told that I am an idiot when I am incorrect.)

Emac

New

Post by Emac » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:43 pm

Burger in a can wrote:
Emac wrote:
I have two dogs too, and I've been having trouble finding a place because of the dog situation. We should keep each other posted!

Also, we've been discussing neighborhoods and towns on both threads. If you look back a couple of pages I think you'll find some information. There are some posters on here who live in immediate area, and those would be the best people to ask. (I live about an hour away but I'm tired of giving people housing advice based upon my limited knowledge and then being told that I am an idiot when I am incorrect.)
I will definitely keep you posted. I am pretty optimistic--I managed to find a large fenced yard in Baltimore, land of rowhomes. I found the past discussions of neighborhoods useful and started a list, but didn't see much talk about parking, yards, etc.

My next project is to start searching for nearby dog parks and dog-friendly beaches. Just because my quality of life is going to decline doesn't mean that theirs has to, too.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rjp88

New

Post by rjp88 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:02 pm

Emac wrote: I will definitely keep you posted. I am pretty optimistic--I managed to find a large fenced yard in Baltimore, land of rowhomes. I found the past discussions of neighborhoods useful and started a list, but didn't see much talk about parking, yards, etc.

My next project is to start searching for nearby dog parks and dog-friendly beaches. Just because my quality of life is going to decline doesn't mean that theirs has to, too.
Try Nod Brook. Used by field trial clubs, but anyone can take their dogs there when it's not being used. Schedule at: --LinkRemoved--

Burger in a can

Silver

Post by Burger in a can » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:22 pm

Dogs are also allowed in Elizabeth Park, which is right next to the school. :D

Leira

New

Post by Leira » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:30 pm

I was looking into the entire NetID thing. I stumbled across a netid lookup. I did my undergrad at uconn and my netid is still the same. However, if you want to look it up the link is: https://netid.uconn.edu/SearchNetID/
I am not sure if this will work for those of you who didn't go to uconn for your undergrad. However, it is worth a shot. Also the "peoplesoft" number was located on my student finance letter I received.
Hope this helps!

Lighthouse28

Bronze

Post by Lighthouse28 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:22 pm

Leira wrote:I was looking into the entire NetID thing. I stumbled across a netid lookup. I did my undergrad at uconn and my netid is still the same. However, if you want to look it up the link is: https://netid.uconn.edu/SearchNetID/
I am not sure if this will work for those of you who didn't go to uconn for your undergrad. However, it is worth a shot. Also the "peoplesoft" number was located on my student finance letter I received.
Hope this helps!
I believe it was at the ASD breakfast this past weekend that Karen from admissions said the woman in charge of housing and whatnot has been sick, and that we should get our net IDs sometime soon!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Leira

New

Post by Leira » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:44 pm

Excellent!

Gymnast0206

Bronze

Post by Gymnast0206 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:43 pm

Does UConn give scholarships in the admissions packet or is their a separate financial aid package?

Emac

New

Post by Emac » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:54 pm

Gymnast0206 wrote:Does UConn give scholarships in the admissions packet or is their a separate financial aid package?
There is a separate mailing. And, the Fin Aid office won't give you any information over the phone. The woman I spoke with today wouldn't even confirm if scholarship information is sent with the general financial aid mailing. After reading the forums, I discovered that the scholarship info is included.

Boo on the grouchy lady that I spoke with today.

Gymnast0206

Bronze

Post by Gymnast0206 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:07 pm

Emac wrote:
There is a separate mailing. And, the Fin Aid office won't give you any information over the phone. The woman I spoke with today wouldn't even confirm if scholarship information is sent with the general financial aid mailing. After reading the forums, I discovered that the scholarship info is included.

I think I spoke to the same one you did! She basically called me stupid for even asking.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Lighthouse28

Bronze

Post by Lighthouse28 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:17 pm

Gymnast0206 wrote:
Emac wrote:

I think I spoke to the same one you did! She basically called me stupid for even asking.
lol Man, that's funny, I mean not for you. I wonder who that lady is. On Friday I went to the Fin Aid office to drop off my papers and the woman was very nice! I went the day before the rush! Maybe they are just exhausted now of dealing with students (I know that's not any excuse though).

insertclevernamehere

Bronze

Post by insertclevernamehere » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:10 pm

according to the leaked document that is floating around UConn dropped to 54th on the day I sent in my deposit :)

not that big of a deal...

what was more concerning to me was that the numbers reported for employment at graduation was one of the lowest - 71% I believe. the Dean mentioned at breakfast they have beefed up staffing in Career Services, hopefully to counteract this number.

Burger in a can

Silver

Post by Burger in a can » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:47 pm

insertclevernamehere wrote: what was more concerning to me was that the numbers reported for employment at graduation was one of the lowest - 71% I believe. the Dean mentioned at breakfast they have beefed up staffing in Career Services, hopefully to counteract this number.
I wouldn't worry too much about that- at least I wouldn't be any more worried that you already are because of the economy. UConn appears to make a real effort to report their employment statistics honestly (as opposed to many other schools) because they actually list the number of responses vs. number of students polled, and even go so far as to include averages as well as medians.

So while 71% is sort of a scary number, the drop in employment is definitely not specific to UConn, and is probably just about equal to most law schools, whether they report it that way or not.

Whenever I read complaints (not that you are complaining!!!) on TLS about jobs, I think about this: With over 10% of America's workforce registering for unemployment benefits, a graduating class from ANY school that has 71% employed at graduation is pretty great. Ask your friends with other kinds of graduate degrees about their school's employment statistics, and you might feel better. (Depending, of course, upon what kind of degree they have!) :D
Last edited by Burger in a can on Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nycmba

New

Post by nycmba » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:21 pm

New rankings were leaked. UConn drops 2 spots to 54. Not too bad considering the drops of other schools.

BU from 20 to 22
BC from 26 to 28
Yeshiva (Cardozo) from 49 to 52
Brooklyn from 61 to 67

Some surprises though:
St. John's from 87 to 72
Villanova 61 to 67
Temple 65 to 72
Hofstra 100 to 86

--LinkRemoved--

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gymnast0206

Bronze

Post by Gymnast0206 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:29 pm

How about Chapman up to 93? And Mizzou drops almost thirty places to 93 as well.

And GWU to 20th with Tulane down to 48th

sootsprite

New

Post by sootsprite » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:56 pm

Hi! I've been lurking on this board for awhile, but since I'm confirmed for Class of 2013, I thought I'd say hello to everyone.

I unfortunately missed ASD. :( Was there anything particularly newsworthy mentioned besides what had already been posted about the employment rate and rankings?

:D

Burger in a can

Silver

Post by Burger in a can » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:56 pm

Has anyone sent in their second $250 deposit check yet? I know it's not due until June 1st, but I kind of just want to send it now anyway.

Also, at ASD, one of the deans said something about how we're probably sick of hearing from them by now, as if we'd been inundated with paperwork from the admissions office. I actually feel the absolute opposite. After the drama of applying to law school, from my first LSAT prep test to my final decision of where to attend, I sort of want to be drowning in official paperwork, forms, student handbooks, etc. I guess I still don't feel like UConn has acknowledged that I will definitely be a students next year, and I want some closure! How about you guys?

Lighthouse28

Bronze

Post by Lighthouse28 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:14 pm

Burger in a can wrote:Has anyone sent in their second $250 deposit check yet? I know it's not due until June 1st, but I kind of just want to send it now anyway.

Also, at ASD, one of the deans said something about how we're probably sick of hearing from them by now, as if we'd been inundated with paperwork from the admissions office. I actually feel the absolute opposite. After the drama of applying to law school, from my first LSAT prep test to my final decision of where to attend, I sort of want to be drowning in official paperwork, forms, student handbooks, etc. I guess I still don't feel like UConn has acknowledged that I will definitely be a students next year, and I want some closure! How about you guys?
I hear ya, Burger. Now that ASD is over, there is this huge lull, and it's depressing haha. I NEED more paperwork!!! I want a handbook, too. I need something, anything :( I still have to send in my 2nd deposit and a picture (what is the picture for?). But I did send in official transcripts as they requested.

On another note, I am signing a lease for an apartment in West Hartford. So housing is taken care of! :)

Does anyone know what grocery stores there are in West Hartford???

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”