UConn Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Burger in a can

Silver

Re: UConn Class of 2013

Post by Burger in a can » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:25 pm

Hey guys- just wanted to mention that I've been living right next to campus for just over a month, so if you have any questions about the area I might be sort of able to help you out. :)

Lighthouse28

Bronze

Post by Lighthouse28 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:10 pm

Does anyone know when we have to buy our textbooks and if there is any required reading to do before class???

Burger,

Grocery stores that aren't too expensive?? :D

Burger in a can

Silver

Post by Burger in a can » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:03 am

Last edited by Burger in a can on Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pocket herc

Bronze

Post by pocket herc » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:09 am

I second Tangier's. Great Gyro's, Falafels, etc. Also, great Baklava as I recall. Take advantage of it.

snapdragon

Silver

Post by snapdragon » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:45 am

Oh hey future Hartfordians (or, since you all seem sensible enough not to actually live in Hartford, West Hartfordians), a tip from someone who spent their undergrad in Hartford:

481 Wethersfield Ave, Hartford is home to Kashmir. This looks like a small house / shack in a dodgy neighborhood (went there all the time, only mugged once!) but is in reality a most delicious and affordable Indian restaurant. GO THERE. Eat everything. Great victory will be yours.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lighthouse28

Bronze

Post by Lighthouse28 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:46 am

Thanks for all the info Burger and others !
Last edited by Lighthouse28 on Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Burger in a can

Silver

Post by Burger in a can » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:36 pm

Is anyone else having trouble with the immunization records requirement? I had those shots when I was a little kid, but apparently my records are lost. (My pediatrician passed away about 10 years ago...) Also, I have no health insurance. Anyone have any tips? Maybe there is some way to get more shots at, say, a clinic?

By the way, how are you guys doing? :)

nycmba

New

Post by nycmba » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:45 am

Burger in a can wrote:Is anyone else having trouble with the immunization records requirement? I had those shots when I was a little kid, but apparently my records are lost. (My pediatrician passed away about 10 years ago...) Also, I have no health insurance. Anyone have any tips? Maybe there is some way to get more shots at, say, a clinic?

I have the same issue. My family doctor retired eons ago. One can take a simple blood test , called a titer (pronounced TIE-ter) test to see if you've been immunized.

I got my results and apparently I need a measles shot! I'm scheduled to get it from my primary care physician tomorrow morning. All my other immunizations checked out fine.

The form(s) for your doctor to fill out can be found at the bottom of this page:
--LinkRemoved--

If you won't have health insurance until School starts I recommend contacting the Hartford or Connecticut Department of Health. Since immunization is a state requirement, I'm sure they can direct to you a free or low cost clinic. Perhaps the UConn Health Center might even be able to help you out.

Burger in a can

Silver

Post by Burger in a can » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:12 pm

nycmba wrote:
Burger in a can wrote:Is anyone else having trouble with the immunization records requirement? I had those shots when I was a little kid, but apparently my records are lost. (My pediatrician passed away about 10 years ago...) Also, I have no health insurance. Anyone have any tips? Maybe there is some way to get more shots at, say, a clinic?

I have the same issue. My family doctor retired eons ago. One can take a simple blood test , called a titer (pronounced TIE-ter) test to see if you've been immunized.

I got my results and apparently I need a measles shot! I'm scheduled to get it from my primary care physician tomorrow morning. All my other immunizations checked out fine.

The form(s) for your doctor to fill out can be found at the bottom of this page:
--LinkRemoved--

If you won't have health insurance until School starts I recommend contacting the Hartford or Connecticut Department of Health. Since immunization is a state requirement, I'm sure they can direct to you a free or low cost clinic. Perhaps the UConn Health Center might even be able to help you out.
Wow! Incredibly helpful!!! Thank you so much!

Yeah, since I haven't had health insurance for a long time, I actually don't have a doctor! CVS Minute Clinic FTW!!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cjr1298

New

Post by cjr1298 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:51 pm

Burger in a can wrote:
nycmba wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

Wow! Incredibly helpful!!! Thank you so much!

Yeah, since I haven't had health insurance for a long time, I actually don't have a doctor! CVS Minute Clinic FTW!!!
I had the same issue and also went and had the blood test administered to prove immunity- I just wanted to add, when I called UCONN health about this issue prior to taking the test, I asked them what would happen if in fact I wasn't immune to all three (MMR), and they told me I would need to have another vaccination, and THEN also have second titer to prove immunity. I thought it was a bit odd to require the second titer after a recent vaccination, but she claimed it was the case since I couldn't show documentation with two vaccination dates (as per the state requirement). Luckily it was all a non-issue because I was immune.

cjr1298

New

Post by cjr1298 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:56 pm

Does anyone know how to access individual financial aid info online? I don't seem to see any references to it on the "student center" portion of my account, other than some line telling me to click on view financial aid information with no actual line to click.

I'm trying to get a sense as to whether or not I have jumped through all the necessary hoops and am getting my tuition paid. :)

lallygag

New

Post by lallygag » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:16 pm

cjr1298 wrote:Does anyone know how to access individual financial aid info online? I don't seem to see any references to it on the "student center" portion of my account, other than some line telling me to click on view financial aid information with no actual line to click.

I'm trying to get a sense as to whether or not I have jumped through all the necessary hoops and am getting my tuition paid. :)
I've been waiting for this link to show up too! I did however find my fee bill which shows all the school's fees, any deposits you've paid, as well as any credits towards your account (loans and scholarships, etc).

The fee bill link is a little down further on the student center page (Finances> My Account). After I click on the "view fee bill" link I click on the "search" button and the most recent bill shows up. Hope that helps in what you're looking for.

cjr1298

New

Post by cjr1298 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:35 pm

lallygag wrote:
cjr1298 wrote:Does anyone know how to access individual financial aid info online? I don't seem to see any references to it on the "student center" portion of my account, other than some line telling me to click on view financial aid information with no actual line to click.

I've been waiting for this link to show up too! I did however find my fee bill which shows all the school's fees, any deposits you've paid, as well as any credits towards your account (loans and scholarships, etc).

The fee bill link is a little down further on the student center page (Finances> My Account). After I click on the "view fee bill" link I click on the "search" button and the most recent bill shows up. Hope that helps in what you're looking for.
Thanks! I actually just found it- the search key had thrown me off a bit.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lawdogg

New

Post by lawdogg » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:59 pm

Wrote my declination email to UConn's admissions office. :oops: Have a great time!!

Burger in a can

Silver

Post by Burger in a can » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:17 pm

lawdogg wrote:Wrote my declination email to UConn's admissions office. :oops: Have a great time!!
Enjoy Chicago-Kent! :D

Lighthouse28

Bronze

Post by Lighthouse28 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:21 pm

Did you all get the email about the community service? How many hours do we have to do? Is it like a day thing only? I chose the Mark Twain one, because it will probably still be really hot outside, so I wanted something indoors lol, otherwise I would have chosen Elizabeth Park!

Lighthouse28

Bronze

Post by Lighthouse28 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:24 am

The thread always seems to die when I post something... :? :oops:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cjr1298

New

Post by cjr1298 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:19 pm

Landscaping options were last on my list.

bonesinger

New

Post by bonesinger » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:55 pm

Hey, I'm a 2L at uconn, if u have questions, let me know?

The mark twain house visit is just a tour of his house, easily the best one (i did that one), the landscaping my classmates did, they were pulling weeds out of the basketball court lol.
It's all part of orientation, they give you a tour of the campus and then you do your "community service" and then come back for lunch i think.

Umm this should be helpful if you haven't seen it: --LinkRemoved--

Your first assignments can be accessed there as well, if they are up.

EDIT:

I get my groceries at stop and shop and tangiers. While there are quite a few places to shop, West Hartford is the best place to be honestly, its clean, upscale, hip, and there's so much to do there. I live literally next to the school, and I kinda want to move to WH, but my rent is so cheap I figure I'll live with it. Plus just rolling out of bed with a 5 min walk to class or 30 second drive is unbeatable.

OH BTW, theres a good middle eastern place on Church street in downtown hartford called Al'addin. There is also another good indian restaurant on Berlin Tpke, but its about 20 minutes away.

cjr1298

New

Post by cjr1298 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:25 pm

Did anyone get their TWEN credentials yet?

Lighthouse28

Bronze

Post by Lighthouse28 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:03 am

cjr1298 wrote:Did anyone get their TWEN credentials yet?
What are TWEN credentials ?! :o

Also, do we have a real first assignment for most of our classes?? :o If so, where can I access them? And do we need textbooks to do them, casue I haven't bought any. I don't even know which ones we are supposed to get ? The UConn system is too complicated for me. :( sigh

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bonesinger

New

Post by bonesinger » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:37 am

TWEN is a system used by westlaw, its like a forum, assignment drop box, and database where professors will store assignments and documents for you to download. Some will use it so you can drop your assignment in online, others will post updates on it. I believe youll get a sheet during orientation with all your username and temporary passwords.

As for first assignments, I'm pretty sure you should check on the website I posted above, if not, go e-mail the professors, thats what I did.

registeredpatriot

New

Post by registeredpatriot » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:36 pm

Is there anyone here without a car? Just wondering how manageable it will be without one....

bonesinger

New

Post by bonesinger » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:56 am

depends on how far you live from the school. I am a 5 min walk from campus, but i still drive most of the time. There is a bus system if you want go into downtown Hartford or West Hartford.

registeredpatriot

New

Post by registeredpatriot » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:34 am

bonesinger wrote:depends on how far you live from the school. I am a 5 min walk from campus, but i still drive most of the time. There is a bus system if you want go into downtown Hartford or West Hartford.
i see. im trying to figure out where to live that would give me the best access to grocery stores, bars. what do you think of living in downtown vs. west hartford? i see some places near blue back square, but it seems that area is a bit too far from the school to walk (especially in the winter). what are your thoughts? Thanks for your advice.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”