Florida State Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
mango26

Re: Florida State Class of 2013

Postby mango26 » Thu May 27, 2010 1:11 pm

Dallas4thewin wrote:As we are getting closer to August, how is everyone's housing search going?

found a place on craigslist. it's kind of nervewracking doing it from out of state cause i wasn't able to view the apartment before i signed the lease. i originally planned on living in one of the phoenix south places, but upon further research decided against it. so now i'm living a couple miles away in an apartment below a house in a nice&quiet neighborhood. now i just need to worry about how i'm going to obtain florida residency for next year :?

Dallas4thewin

Postby Dallas4thewin » Thu May 27, 2010 1:18 pm

mango26 wrote:
Dallas4thewin wrote:As we are getting closer to August, how is everyone's housing search going?

found a place on craigslist. it's kind of nervewracking doing it from out of state cause i wasn't able to view the apartment before i signed the lease. i originally planned on living in one of the phoenix south places, but upon further research decided against it. so now i'm living a couple miles away in an apartment below a house in a nice&quiet neighborhood. now i just need to worry about how i'm going to obtain florida residency for next year :?

Phoenix South, were those the apartments right across from the school? From what I understand it shouldn't be that hard they mentioned something about registering to vote, and something else and you should be good. Where are you moving from?

mango26

Postby mango26 » Thu May 27, 2010 1:25 pm

Dallas4thewin wrote:
mango26 wrote:

Phoenix South, were those the apartments right across from the school? From what I understand it shouldn't be that hard they mentioned something about registering to vote, and something else and you should be good. Where are you moving from?

ya those are the apartments all near the school, which is nice, but i decided they weren't for me. ya register to vote, get driver's license (which i think just requires proving you are actually living there...hopefully a copy of my lease and some sort of bill will work?). i'm moving from virginia. are you out of state too?

Dallas4thewin

Postby Dallas4thewin » Sun May 30, 2010 5:55 pm

mango26 wrote:
Dallas4thewin wrote:
mango26 wrote:

ya those are the apartments all near the school, which is nice, but i decided they weren't for me. ya register to vote, get driver's license (which i think just requires proving you are actually living there...hopefully a copy of my lease and some sort of bill will work?). i'm moving from virginia. are you out of state too?

Yep that what I have heard, and nope born and raised in South Florida, so looking forward to the change, lol if you have never spent time in Florida believe me there is a big change from north to south in the state.

bdccraig

Postby bdccraig » Mon May 31, 2010 8:01 pm

Hey, I was just wondering if any other admitted students have concerns about going to law school. My only real worry is that I won't be able to find a job when I graduate, or the job won't pay enough to pay back my student loans. The internet is filled with horror stories of many JD grads who can't find jobs and regret going to law school. Does anyone else share this concern?

eros

Postby eros » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:02 am

bdccraig wrote:Hey, I was just wondering if any other admitted students have concerns about going to law school. My only real worry is that I won't be able to find a job when I graduate, or the job won't pay enough to pay back my student loans. The internet is filled with horror stories of many JD grads who can't find jobs and regret going to law school. Does anyone else share this concern?

I definitely share your concerns... A major reason why I decided on FSU is because it puts me in great position to graduate with comparatively little debt thanks to cheap in-state tuition and a scholly. But getting back to the issue at hand, the entire economy is in the crapper right now, not just the legal field. Everyone from architects to teachers are struggling at present time, but I'm optimistic that things will start to turn around soon enough. Word hard, get good grades, and hopefully the economy will recover a bit while we're in school.

Dallas4thewin

Postby Dallas4thewin » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:02 am

eros wrote:
bdccraig wrote:Hey, I was just wondering if any other admitted students have concerns about going to law school. My only real worry is that I won't be able to find a job when I graduate, or the job won't pay enough to pay back my student loans. The internet is filled with horror stories of many JD grads who can't find jobs and regret going to law school. Does anyone else share this concern?

I definitely share your concerns... A major reason why I decided on FSU is because it puts me in great position to graduate with comparatively little debt thanks to cheap in-state tuition and a scholly. But getting back to the issue at hand, the entire economy is in the crapper right now, not just the legal field. Everyone from architects to teachers are struggling at present time, but I'm optimistic that things will start to turn around soon enough. Word hard, get good grades, and hopefully the economy will recover a bit while we're in school.

Word for word my thoughts, well said.

mango26

Postby mango26 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:23 am

Dallas4thewin wrote:
mango26 wrote:
Dallas4thewin wrote:

Yep that what I have heard, and nope born and raised in South Florida, so looking forward to the change, lol if you have never spent time in Florida believe me there is a big change from north to south in the state.

i grew up in south florida, but moved to va before college. it's killing me that i lived there for so long and don't have residency. but north or south, i'm happy to be moving back to florida

Dallas4thewin

Postby Dallas4thewin » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:36 pm

So when is everyone plan on moving?

mango26

Postby mango26 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:18 pm

Dallas4thewin wrote:So when is everyone plan on moving?

beginning of july. (ya it's early)

Dallas4thewin

Postby Dallas4thewin » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:37 am

mango26 wrote:
Dallas4thewin wrote:So when is everyone plan on moving?

beginning of july. (ya it's early)

Yeah that is really early, but the two weeks I spent there on an internship it seems like a type of town where you would need a good amount of time to get used to it. Plus I have a good amount of friends who attend undergrad in Tally and they say Tally is very quite during the summer but peaceful. I am hoping to get up there as soon as possible and learn my way around, but I still need to find a place to live lol.

Tuyarp

Postby Tuyarp » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:04 pm

The class of 2013 is bigger than I thought it would be. The unofficial head count is 231 people. What do you think of this?

Dallas4thewin

Postby Dallas4thewin » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:20 pm

Tuyarp wrote:The class of 2013 is bigger than I thought it would be. The unofficial head count is 231 people. What do you think of this?

I thought that also based on the facebook page, but I soon realized that the number is skewed because allot of people are joining that page that are going to other schools. Someone who is good with FB should create a group for our actual class. Where did you get that 231 from?

Tuyarp

Postby Tuyarp » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:26 pm

Dallas4thewin wrote:
I thought that also based on the facebook page, but I soon realized that the number is skewed because allot of people are joining that page that are going to other schools. Someone who is good with FB should create a group for our actual class. Where did you get that 231 from?

I used excel to count the Andrew Fay's e-mail recipients (he's the outgoing SBA president). The facebook page for the class of 2013 has 2Ls, 3Ls, and admin folks in it, too. That's why the it's closer to 300.

Dallas4thewin

Postby Dallas4thewin » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:36 pm

Tuyarp wrote:
Dallas4thewin wrote:

I used excel to count the Andrew Fay's e-mail recipients (he's the outgoing SBA president). The facebook page for the class of 2013 has 2Ls, 3Ls, and admin folks in it, too. That's why the it's closer to 300.

That is interesting then, wasn't there something going around about only 150 to 200 seats or am I crazy? Have you found a place to live yet?

lrw05d

Postby lrw05d » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:42 pm

Hey guys,

I'm a 2L looking for a roommate to share my townhouse through the end of December. This would let you get adjusted to Tallahassee and give you enough time to figure out where you really want to live before you sign a lease. It would start as soon as you want to move in after August 1st and would be pretty informal (pay me the rent, I'll give it to the landlord, no lease to sign, etc.). It is a 2 br/2 ba located in Southwood, which is a bit far (about 15-20 mins) from the law school but in an extremely nice planned community. $600/mo + utilities (usually about $80 per person). Internet is free, cable is negotiable. The townhouse is fully furnished with the exception of the bedroom. There's a super cute courtyard out back with a grill, and there are several running trails, parks, and a community pool. There is a Publix shopping plaza within walking distance (or 2 mins driving). I'm a neat freak, so only fellow neat freaks need respond. I also have a dog and a boyfriend who visits often, but dont worry, theyre friendly. No pets, please, my dog cant handle that much excitement (boyfriends okay). I even have an elliptical you can use! This is a fantastic place in a fantastic neighborhood, and I would really like to rent the room to another law student. Hey, there are benefits to living with a 2L (in the form of networking and outlines). I would prefer a female roommate, but as long as you're clean we might be able to work something out. If youre interested, please email me at lrw05d@fsu.edu. Thanks, and have a fun rest of the summer! :)

Tuyarp

Postby Tuyarp » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:43 pm

Dallas4thewin wrote:
That is interesting then, wasn't there something going around about only 150 to 200 seats or am I crazy? Have you found a place to live yet?

Yeah, I was hoping for around 200. That'd have been ideal for me. Yup, I found a 1/1 about 15-20 mins from the law school.

ksd05c

Postby ksd05c » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:21 pm

Tuyarp wrote:
Dallas4thewin wrote:

Yeah, I was hoping for around 200. That'd have been ideal for me. Yup, I found a 1/1 about 15-20 mins from the law school.

No way, the more people there are then the easier it is to be in the top percentage of the class. The more the better!

Tuyarp

Postby Tuyarp » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:38 am

ksd05c wrote:
Tuyarp wrote:
Dallas4thewin wrote:

No way, the more people there are then the easier it is to be in the top percentage of the class. The more the better!

Wouldn't UF be a better fit for you if you wanted a larger class? I think each of their classes is between 300 to 350 people.

lawschoolstudent85

Postby lawschoolstudent85 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:10 am

Last edited by lawschoolstudent85 on Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dallas4thewin

Postby Dallas4thewin » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:40 am

anyone heard or seen the evergreens at mahan?

algid1113

Postby algid1113 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:43 am

Dallas4thewin wrote:anyone heard or seen the evergreens at mahan?

went for a visit last mth and i signed a lease with them. its about 15-20mins away from school, quiet area, and fairly new ( two phases, I is 4-5 yrs old, II 1 1/2). i'm not sure what ur preferences are but if you have specific questions u can pm me ^^

btw i looked at delany, polos, jackson square, and few others i can't remember now...

harvestmoon

Postby harvestmoon » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:29 pm

For those of you who got FSU scholarships, are they supposed to show up on Blackboard? I faxed my scholarship acceptance form back a few weeks ago and my award isn't showing up yet.

Tuyarp

Postby Tuyarp » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:46 pm

Yes, your scholly should show up on Blackboard.

TheSituation

Postby TheSituation » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:16 pm

I can't find my scholarship info on Blackboard, but it might not have processed yet. Where is it Tuyarp?

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”