Florida State Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
lawschoolstudent85
Posts: 226
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:10 pm

Re: Florida State Class of 2013

Postby lawschoolstudent85 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:26 pm

.
Last edited by lawschoolstudent85 on Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dallas4thewin
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 12:37 pm

Re: Florida State Class of 2013

Postby Dallas4thewin » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:54 pm

lawschoolstudent85 wrote:
FLALAW wrote:Unfortunately, you cannot use the Leach Center until you are actually taking classes. For example, if you were an undergraduate, but you were not taking summer classes, they would not let you use the gym. Hope this helps.


Darn.


+1, I was thinking about signing up at Golds Gym, but they have horrible reviews online. Any 1L's need a workout buddy, I am currently being trained by a well know strength coach, and need a buddy for half the workouts?

procrastinator
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:19 am

Re: Florida State Class of 2013

Postby procrastinator » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:26 pm

Dallas4thewin wrote:
lawschoolstudent85 wrote:
FLALAW wrote:Unfortunately, you cannot use the Leach Center until you are actually taking classes. For example, if you were an undergraduate, but you were not taking summer classes, they would not let you use the gym. Hope this helps.


Darn.


+1, I was thinking about signing up at Golds Gym, but they have horrible reviews online. Any 1L's need a workout buddy, I am currently being trained by a well know strength coach, and need a buddy for half the workouts?

I will, but not moving up for two weeks.

shootermcgavin
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:06 pm

Re: Florida State Class of 2013

Postby shootermcgavin » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:37 am

lawschoolstudent85 wrote:
FLALAW wrote:Unfortunately, you cannot use the Leach Center until you are actually taking classes. For example, if you were an undergraduate, but you were not taking summer classes, they would not let you use the gym. Hope this helps.


Darn.


If you are in town and already have your FSU card, it could be worth a shot just to see if they will let you in even though when they swipe your card it will decline it. During the summer at the leach they seem to be a little more relaxed. You basically have two options:

1. Explain that you are a law student starting in the Fall.
2. Claim that you are a summer C student and that your financial aid hasn't cleared yet(which I did a couple years ago).

Of course, neither are guaranteed to work but may be worth a shot.

Dallas4thewin
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 12:37 pm

Re: Florida State Class of 2013

Postby Dallas4thewin » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:51 pm

Tried and failed lol. Only thing they said I could do was get some guest passes, and bring myself and pay 5$ a day.

mango26
Posts: 294
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:16 pm

Re: Florida State Class of 2013

Postby mango26 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:14 pm

Dallas4thewin wrote:Tried and failed lol. Only thing they said I could do was get some guest passes, and bring myself and pay 5$ a day.


So we can start using the gym once classes actually start? or once we pay tuition? does anyone know if the library has the same policy?

Tuyarp
Posts: 206
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:52 pm

Re: Florida State Class of 2013

Postby Tuyarp » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:25 pm

mango26 wrote:
So we can start using the gym once classes actually start? or once we pay tuition? does anyone know if the library has the same policy?


I think you can use the library, but you can't check out items until you're officially a student.

Dallas4thewin
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 12:37 pm

Re: Florida State Class of 2013

Postby Dallas4thewin » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:32 pm

mango26 wrote:
Dallas4thewin wrote:Tried and failed lol. Only thing they said I could do was get some guest passes, and bring myself and pay 5$ a day.


So we can start using the gym once classes actually start? or once we pay tuition? does anyone know if the library has the same policy?


I am going back later today, so Ill check then about the gym.

gottaloveJAG
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:42 pm

Re: Florida State Class of 2013

Postby gottaloveJAG » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:36 pm

Hi everyone!
I am a rising 2L at FSU Law and if anyone would like me to answer any questions, I'm here for you!
Best wishes : )

gottaloveJAG
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:42 pm

Re: Florida State Class of 2013

Postby gottaloveJAG » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:02 pm

Hi again,

I just looked through this forum and thought I would try to answer a few of the unanswered questions on here.

-Just to recap, I'm a rising 2L and a peer mentor.

-Reading lists: I know, it's overwhelming! The one book out of the whole list that I would really suggest reading is "Getting to Maybe." Everyone told me to read it and I didn't until my 2nd semester. I wish I had read it sooner! I did much better on the type of tests it helps you with after I read it. Highly recommended!

-3-day Orientation: Mostly a bunch of presentations hosted by current professors. There are student and professor panels where you can ask questions. Also presentations by the Florida Board of Bar Examiners and the Career Placement Center. Also an Activity Fair where you can sign up for different clubs. Lunch is included every day. I know it sounds like a drag but you get to meet so many classmates - in the end some of my closest friends in law school are ones I met through TLS (we all got together the night before orientation) or during orientation.

-FSU ID - you have to go to Card Services (next to Suntrust in the Student Union) and have it done in person.

-Financial Aid: comes out usually about a week after school (it is judged by when the drop/add period ends)

-Football games: You sign up for the lottery through Blackboard. Unless it's a super popular game, you'll probably get a ticket in the student section (and even then, most people get tickets for the popular games too).

Hope this helped! Let me know if you have any other questions!

mango26
Posts: 294
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:16 pm

Re: Florida State Class of 2013

Postby mango26 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:20 pm

gottaloveJAG wrote:Hi everyone!
I am a rising 2L at FSU Law and if anyone would like me to answer any questions, I'm here for you!
Best wishes : )


Hi, thank you for taking the time to answer our questions.
I have a question about summer internships after 1L. Were most of the people you know able to get internships? If so were they mostly unpaid or paid?

Dallas4thewin
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 12:37 pm

Re: Florida State Class of 2013

Postby Dallas4thewin » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:28 pm

tried and failed miserably to get my FSU ID card today, and I thought UCF was a tough place to try and get around.

mango26
Posts: 294
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:16 pm

Re: Florida State Class of 2013

Postby mango26 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:36 pm

Dallas4thewin wrote:tried and failed miserably to get my FSU ID card today, and I thought UCF was a tough place to try and get around.


i did that last week. it was the worst finding it. once i found it though it was super easy. i had to stop and ask students where it was at least 5 or 6 times.

edit: and i'm pretty sure it will take me just as long to find it again when it's time to go to the bookstore.

Tuyarp
Posts: 206
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:52 pm

Re: Florida State Class of 2013

Postby Tuyarp » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:39 am

gottaloveJAG wrote:Hi everyone!
I am a rising 2L at FSU Law and if anyone would like me to answer any questions, I'm here for you!
Best wishes : )


Thanks for taking questions! The suggested attire for orientation is business casual. Do most people follow the suggestion during your orientation?

Dallas4thewin
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 12:37 pm

Re: Florida State Class of 2013

Postby Dallas4thewin » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:58 pm

Ok so I used the gym today, but I had to pay 5 dollars to use it. The girl at the front told me summer classes end, and then they close for like 10 days. I think they reopen on the 18th, and at that point we can use it. BTW the gym was really nice, and not to crowded (went around 5), however that might change when schools starts in the Fall.

eros
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:18 pm

Re: Florida State Class of 2013

Postby eros » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:34 pm

Tuyarp wrote:
Thanks for taking questions! The suggested attire for orientation is business casual. Do most people follow the suggestion during your orientation?


+1

Mortalnato
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:43 am

Re: Florida State Class of 2013

Postby Mortalnato » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:13 pm

eros wrote:
Tuyarp wrote:
Thanks for taking questions! The suggested attire for orientation is business casual. Do most people follow the suggestion during your orientation?


+1



Hey everyone - Another 2L here.

Last year we had a week long mandatory orientation. On the first day pretty much everyone dressed in business casual attire (i.e. buttoned up shirts and khakis for guys)... some wore suits. Thereafter most people dressed a bit more casually (polos and such). If anything, orientation gives you the opportunity to see and hear from many of the professors that you will have either this semester or in the near future. Personally, I found the student panel to be the most helpful. It was just several successful students that explained their study habits and the rigors of law school in general.

As for some other topics....

The suggested reading list - Don't worry about it. I read the required book (What Every Law Student Really Needs to Know), Getting to Maybe, and a bit of Planet Law School II. Honestly, none of them were really that necessary. Just make sure to get your casebook and do your assigned reading before classes begin.

1L Employment - Don't get your hopes up. If you can, start forming contacts as soon as possible. Realistically, employers can't even consider hiring a law student until after their first semester grades so you're already late in the game. And with the shoddy economy, most employers simply aren't interested in 1Ls. There were a couple of OCI opportunities, though. I believe some people were able to get employment through the DCF. I know several people who were able to get paid employment with the Florida Department of Business and professional regulation (they brought several lawyers to OCI and interviewed 1Ls for numerous positions). Outside of that, though, most people ended up taking classes over the summer either at the law school or at the Oxford program. The Oxford program is a bit pricey but everyone seems to be having an awesome time.
The law school also offers one externship for first year students: the Innocence Project.

2L OCIs - Since we're on TLS I know a lot of people are probably going nuts about law firms. If anyone wants to know which firms are coming to interview this year, shoot me a PM with your e-mail and I'll let you know.

Tuyarp
Posts: 206
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:52 pm

Re: Florida State Class of 2013

Postby Tuyarp » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:54 pm

When did you guys find out your sections last year?

Mortalnato
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:43 am

Re: Florida State Class of 2013

Postby Mortalnato » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:57 pm

Tuyarp wrote:When did you guys find out your sections last year?


August 5th to be exact. They sent us an e-mail which listed our schedule

highdraws
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:27 pm

Re: Florida State Class of 2013

Postby highdraws » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:07 am

Got it. Thanks Mortalnato!

Tuyarp
Posts: 206
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:52 pm

Re: Florida State Class of 2013

Postby Tuyarp » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:39 pm

Mortalnato wrote:
Tuyarp wrote:When did you guys find out your sections last year?


August 5th to be exact. They sent us an e-mail which listed our schedule


Thanks! I hope we get ours next week.

mango26
Posts: 294
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:16 pm

Re: Florida State Class of 2013

Postby mango26 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:15 pm

I have a question for any of the 2L or 3Ls that read this: do you remember how much (ballpark amount) you spent of books for fall semester 1L?

Mortalnato
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:43 am

Re: Florida State Class of 2013

Postby Mortalnato » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:39 pm

mango26 wrote:I have a question for any of the 2L or 3Ls that read this: do you remember how much (ballpark amount) you spent of books for fall semester 1L?


It really depends on where you get your books. At least expect to spend a couple of hundred dollars (realistically around $400 or so but thats a very very rough estimate on my part). It looks like you all will be taking 4 courses (Torts, Civ Pro, Property and Legal Writing). You won't really need much for legal writing. Torts and Civ Pro are the bigger, more expensive books and will probably be what drags you down. If I were you, try to hold off any books that are listed as "recommended." If its required.... go for it. But my first semester I bought some recommended books that I hardly opened if at all.

As for supplements (which I advise you get although they're not 100% necessary)... For Civ Pro, definitely get Glannon's guide... it is very helpful and to the point. I never ended up getting a supplement for Torts and it ended up being my highest grade in law school thus far... go figure. For Property I got the E & E which was ok for helping you understand broader concepts and laying things out. You won't need a supplement for legal writing... just ask your prof if you have any questions.

mango26
Posts: 294
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:16 pm

Re: Florida State Class of 2013

Postby mango26 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:47 pm

Mortalnato wrote:
mango26 wrote:I have a question for any of the 2L or 3Ls that read this: do you remember how much (ballpark amount) you spent of books for fall semester 1L?


It really depends on where you get your books. At least expect to spend a couple of hundred dollars (realistically around $400 or so but thats a very very rough estimate on my part). It looks like you all will be taking 4 courses (Torts, Civ Pro, Property and Legal Writing). You won't really need much for legal writing. Torts and Civ Pro are the bigger, more expensive books and will probably be what drags you down. If I were you, try to hold off any books that are listed as "recommended." If its required.... go for it. But my first semester I bought some recommended books that I hardly opened if at all.

As for supplements (which I advise you get although they're not 100% necessary)... For Civ Pro, definitely get Glannon's guide... it is very helpful and to the point. I never ended up getting a supplement for Torts and it ended up being my highest grade in law school thus far... go figure. For Property I got the E & E which was ok for helping you understand broader concepts and laying things out. You won't need a supplement for legal writing... just ask your prof if you have any questions.


Thank you!

procrastinator
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:19 am

Re: Florida State Class of 2013

Postby procrastinator » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:33 pm

Wow - I checked out comcast's prices today. I can't believe they want $60 a month for internet. That's twice what I've ever paid.




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest