Florida State Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
coque9
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: Florida State Class of 2013

Postby coque9 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:49 pm

another 1L here..

i too moved in to Polos, seems like we should have at least a few 1Ls in there.

and i also am interested in meeting up with whoever wants to before orientation. i look forward to getting a couple drinks in with my fellow law school neophytes.

highdraws
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:27 pm

Re: Florida State Class of 2013

Postby highdraws » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:14 pm

Has anyone gotten a response regarding the optional week-long orientation?

cmp06
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:11 pm

Re: Florida State Class of 2013

Postby cmp06 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:12 pm

I was wondering the same thing.

highdraws
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:27 pm

Re: Florida State Class of 2013

Postby highdraws » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:17 pm

I'll be surprised if I make the cut, but didn't they say they would let us know either way? Or am I remembering that part wrong?

cmp06
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:11 pm

Re: Florida State Class of 2013

Postby cmp06 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:39 pm

It just said we would be notified on the 14th, so I was assuming that meant either way.

ksd05c
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:52 pm

Re: Florida State Class of 2013

Postby ksd05c » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:23 pm

I applied for the optional orientation. Accounting major, out of school for a year. Thought I had a pretty decent shot of getting in. Haven't heard anything.

procrastinator
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:19 am

Re: Florida State Class of 2013

Postby procrastinator » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:58 pm

No word here

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Florida State Class of 2013

Postby Barbie » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:37 pm

Hey FSU goers,
just wanted to ask what propelled you to choose FSU as your law school. Why FSU>UF if you applied to both? I work M-F 8-5 and can't really come see it (I live in Tampa, though, so I've been there 1 time before for the USF/FSU game.) So I'd love some info!
PS- I didn't like UF too much because it seemed very Overly competitive and lacked a social aspect that I love about college!

carman1880
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:33 pm

Re: Florida State Class of 2013

Postby carman1880 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:33 pm

highdraws wrote:Has anyone gotten a response regarding the optional week-long orientation?


I just received an e-mail telling me I was chosen to participate in the week-long orientation. Just wanted to give everyone a heads up that they have started to notify people.

cmp06
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:11 pm

Re: Florida State Class of 2013

Postby cmp06 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:23 pm

In by email :)

procrastinator
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:19 am

Re: Florida State Class of 2013

Postby procrastinator » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:23 pm

cmp06 wrote:In by email :)

Johngalt7385
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:26 pm

Re: Florida State Class of 2013

Postby Johngalt7385 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:07 pm

darby girl wrote:Hey FSU goers,
just wanted to ask what propelled you to choose FSU as your law school. Why FSU>UF if you applied to both? I work M-F 8-5 and can't really come see it (I live in Tampa, though, so I've been there 1 time before for the USF/FSU game.) So I'd love some info!
PS- I didn't like UF too much because it seemed very Overly competitive and lacked a social aspect that I love about college!



I chose FSU because the atmosphere there was great. I went up there a few weeks ago to hang out with the person I will be living with who will be a 2L. We went tubing down a nearby river with about 30 other law students, and I had a great time. Everyone there was really friendly and I seemed to fit in with their group right away. I know some UF students, as well as a lot of attorneys that went to UF, and I have just never gotten the same vibe from them. I'm sure there are some great people at UF law, but I just got a great feeling from FSU. On top of all this, FSU is a great school. I applied to UF, and would have gotten in, but I withdrew my application after I was accepted to FSU and a few other schools. Hopefully this was helpful.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Florida State Class of 2013

Postby Barbie » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:23 pm

Johngalt7385 wrote:
darby girl wrote:Hey FSU goers,
just wanted to ask what propelled you to choose FSU as your law school. Why FSU>UF if you applied to both? I work M-F 8-5 and can't really come see it (I live in Tampa, though, so I've been there 1 time before for the USF/FSU game.) So I'd love some info!
PS- I didn't like UF too much because it seemed very Overly competitive and lacked a social aspect that I love about college!



I chose FSU because the atmosphere there was great. I went up there a few weeks ago to hang out with the person I will be living with who will be a 2L. We went tubing down a nearby river with about 30 other law students, and I had a great time. Everyone there was really friendly and I seemed to fit in with their group right away. I know some UF students, as well as a lot of attorneys that went to UF, and I have just never gotten the same vibe from them. I'm sure there are some great people at UF law, but I just got a great feeling from FSU. On top of all this, FSU is a great school. I applied to UF, and would have gotten in, but I withdrew my application after I was accepted to FSU and a few other schools. Hopefully this was helpful.



Thanks! That's exactly what I wanted to hear! I look forward to visiting!

highdraws
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:27 pm

Re: Florida State Class of 2013

Postby highdraws » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:27 am

darby girl wrote:Hey FSU goers,
just wanted to ask what propelled you to choose FSU as your law school. Why FSU>UF if you applied to both? I work M-F 8-5 and can't really come see it (I live in Tampa, though, so I've been there 1 time before for the USF/FSU game.) So I'd love some info!
PS- I didn't like UF too much because it seemed very Overly competitive and lacked a social aspect that I love about college!


My sentiments are very similar to johngalt7385's, minus the tubing. :) I got into both FSU and UF, and the COA/debt was going to be a wash. So for me, it came down to the fact I connected to the collegiality that, in my opinion, is very strong at FSU and not nearly so at UF. Granted I'm an 0L, but those same opinions have been expressed many times on this board and I certainly felt it when I attended the ASDs.
In addition, the fact that Tallahassee offers so many opportunities to get valuable legal experience was a major selling point for me. Rankings are nice, but in the context of many settings they amount to very little. What matters more is one's resume, one's experience. With Tallahassee being the home of 400+ law firms, several governmental agencies and the state capital, I feel like it will provide me with more opportunities to find a place in the ever shrinking job market.

HTH

highdraws
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:27 pm

Re: Florida State Class of 2013

Postby highdraws » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:31 am

Into the One Week Orientation too. I'm pleased, but also a little curious. To all of you that got accepted, were you "non-traditional" or no?
I'm pretty "traditional" as far as I know. Poli Sci major, going straight in.

Tuyarp
Posts: 206
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:52 pm

Re: Florida State Class of 2013

Postby Tuyarp » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:48 am

darby girl wrote:Hey FSU goers,
just wanted to ask what propelled you to choose FSU as your law school. Why FSU>UF if you applied to both? I work M-F 8-5 and can't really come see it (I live in Tampa, though, so I've been there 1 time before for the USF/FSU game.) So I'd love some info!
PS- I didn't like UF too much because it seemed very Overly competitive and lacked a social aspect that I love about college!


Got into both FSU and UF. I chose FSU because I think Tallahassee is better for law school than G'ville. Tallahassee probably has more opportunities for law students to gain experience during the school year. I didn't visit UF because I had a great time at the FSU visit. Also, a smaller class size is a big plus in my book.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Florida State Class of 2013

Postby Barbie » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:21 am

Tuyarp wrote:
darby girl wrote:Hey FSU goers,
just wanted to ask what propelled you to choose FSU as your law school. Why FSU>UF if you applied to both? I work M-F 8-5 and can't really come see it (I live in Tampa, though, so I've been there 1 time before for the USF/FSU game.) So I'd love some info!
PS- I didn't like UF too much because it seemed very Overly competitive and lacked a social aspect that I love about college!


Got into both FSU and UF. I chose FSU because I think Tallahassee is better for law school than G'ville. Tallahassee probably has more opportunities for law students to gain experience during the school year. I didn't visit UF because I had a great time at the FSU visit. Also, a smaller class size is a big plus in my book.



I was pretty set on making UF my #1 FL choice (I obviously haven't been admitted yet) but after the visit I just can't see myself going there. G'ville was completely saturated in UG students. I hear Tally more downtown is a very professional young adult vibe, also very welcoming, and nothing like it was at UF for me. I haven't visited yet but I definitly need to. It feels like it would be a good fit for me to attend. (*Barring my acceptance of course*)

highdraws
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:27 pm

Re: Florida State Class of 2013

Postby highdraws » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:30 am

darby girl wrote: I was pretty set on making UF my #1 FL choice (I obviously haven't been admitted yet) but after the visit I just can't see myself going there. G'ville was completely saturated in UG students. I hear Tally more downtown is a very professional young adult vibe, also very welcoming, and nothing like it was at UF for me. I haven't visited yet but I definitly need to. It feels like it would be a good fit for me to attend. (*Barring my acceptance of course*)


Since it is a bigger city (i.e. the capital), Tallahassee will definitely have the professional culture that you are looking for in a place to earn a professional degree.

Here's the thing, anytime I've been asked about choosing a law school, I've answered it this way: there are three, major criteria to keep in mind. (1) Three years after I begin my first year, what kind of job opportunities can I REASONABLY expect to entertain as a graduate from X Law School? In terms of, potential salary and the region that I will most likely accept work in, am I satisfied?; (2) Keeping the answer to #1 in mind, how much debt am I going to graduate with from X Law School?; (3) Is X Law School the kind of place that I can spend the three, most strenuous and important years of my life without wanting to create a hostage situation at the law library?

For me, out of all the other schools that accepted me, FSU was the only school that allowed me to answer yes to those three questions.

Tuyarp
Posts: 206
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:52 pm

Re: Florida State Class of 2013

Postby Tuyarp » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:57 am

Darby, you definitely need to visit. Honestly, I didn't think I was going to attend FSU, but after my visit I just don't see myself anywhere else if I was going to a FL school. Every student that I encountered was friendly and helpful, the professors seem approachable, the administrators are pushing to make the law degree more valuable, and the tuition is hard to beat (if you're resident). If you have any other questions, I'm sure other 'Noles-to-be are willing to answer them.

Johngalt7385
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:26 pm

Re: Florida State Class of 2013

Postby Johngalt7385 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:35 am

highdraws wrote:Into the One Week Orientation too. I'm pleased, but also a little curious. To all of you that got accepted, were you "non-traditional" or no?
I'm pretty "traditional" as far as I know. Poli Sci major, going straight in.



I got in and I have been working for 3 years post undergrad. Considering I'm right around the average age of an entering student I don't think that makes me "non traditional", but you can interpret that how you see fit. I look forward to meeting you there.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Florida State Class of 2013

Postby Barbie » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:40 am

Tuyarp wrote:Darby, you definitely need to visit. Honestly, I didn't think I was going to attend FSU, but after my visit I just don't see myself anywhere else if I was going to a FL school. Every student that I encountered was friendly and helpful, the professors seem approachable, the administrators are pushing to make the law degree more valuable, and the tuition is hard to beat (if you're resident). If you have any other questions, I'm sure other 'Noles-to-be are willing to answer them.


Thanks :). I could come up on a weekend, but I don't know how beneficial that would be? I'm sending in my app the first acceptance day (even though 10000 people are trying to convince me to re-take the LSAT... booo) so hopefully I'll have it as an option pretty early in the cycle and can take a visit very seriously.

ksd05c
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:52 pm

Re: Florida State Class of 2013

Postby ksd05c » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:47 pm

Johngalt7385 wrote:
darby girl wrote:Hey FSU goers,
just wanted to ask what propelled you to choose FSU as your law school. Why FSU>UF if you applied to both? I work M-F 8-5 and can't really come see it (I live in Tampa, though, so I've been there 1 time before for the USF/FSU game.) So I'd love some info!
PS- I didn't like UF too much because it seemed very Overly competitive and lacked a social aspect that I love about college!



I chose FSU because the atmosphere there was great. I went up there a few weeks ago to hang out with the person I will be living with who will be a 2L. We went tubing down a nearby river with about 30 other law students, and I had a great time. Everyone there was really friendly and I seemed to fit in with their group right away. I know some UF students, as well as a lot of attorneys that went to UF, and I have just never gotten the same vibe from them. I'm sure there are some great people at UF law, but I just got a great feeling from FSU. On top of all this, FSU is a great school. I applied to UF, and would have gotten in, but I withdrew my application after I was accepted to FSU and a few other schools. Hopefully this was helpful.


Whoa. You went down Bear Paw (I assume) with 30 people. You guys are hardcore. My usual group of 10 can barely stay together! haha!

Tuyarp
Posts: 206
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:52 pm

Re: Florida State Class of 2013

Postby Tuyarp » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:50 pm

darby girl wrote:
Tuyarp wrote:Darby, you definitely need to visit. Honestly, I didn't think I was going to attend FSU, but after my visit I just don't see myself anywhere else if I was going to a FL school. Every student that I encountered was friendly and helpful, the professors seem approachable, the administrators are pushing to make the law degree more valuable, and the tuition is hard to beat (if you're resident). If you have any other questions, I'm sure other 'Noles-to-be are willing to answer them.


Thanks :). I could come up on a weekend, but I don't know how beneficial that would be? I'm sending in my app the first acceptance day (even though 10000 people are trying to convince me to re-take the LSAT... booo) so hopefully I'll have it as an option pretty early in the cycle and can take a visit very seriously.


Another option is to send an application in and then re-take. If you get a higher score on the re-take, then you just increase the probability of being admitted. If you don't get a higher score, FSU takes the highest LSAT (I'm pretty sure, but correct me if I'm wrong). I would visit during the week so you can get the feel for the atmosphere. Perhaps even sit in a class.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Florida State Class of 2013

Postby Barbie » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:52 pm

Tuyarp wrote:
darby girl wrote:
Tuyarp wrote:Darby, you definitely need to visit. Honestly, I didn't think I was going to attend FSU, but after my visit I just don't see myself anywhere else if I was going to a FL school. Every student that I encountered was friendly and helpful, the professors seem approachable, the administrators are pushing to make the law degree more valuable, and the tuition is hard to beat (if you're resident). If you have any other questions, I'm sure other 'Noles-to-be are willing to answer them.


Thanks :). I could come up on a weekend, but I don't know how beneficial that would be? I'm sending in my app the first acceptance day (even though 10000 people are trying to convince me to re-take the LSAT... booo) so hopefully I'll have it as an option pretty early in the cycle and can take a visit very seriously.


Another option is to send an application in and then re-take. If you get a higher score on the re-take, then you just increase the probability of being admitted. If you don't get a higher score, FSU takes the highest LSAT (I'm pretty sure, but correct me if I'm wrong). I would visit during the week so you can get the feel for the atmosphere. Perhaps even sit in a class.



Can anyone verify whether FSU takes the highest LSAT score? I have an OK score now, but my GPA is pretty bad. I have a 3.1 LSGPA (3.7 degree granting) and a 163 LSAT score. I don't care anything about scholarship,because its already SO cheap!! Just an acceptance :)

Tuyarp
Posts: 206
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:52 pm

Re: Florida State Class of 2013

Postby Tuyarp » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:53 pm

darby girl wrote:
Can anyone verify whether FSU takes the highest LSAT score? I have an OK score now, but my GPA is pretty bad. I have a 3.1 LSGPA (3.7 degree granting) and a 163 LSAT score. I don't care anything about scholarship,because its already SO cheap!! Just an acceptance :)


Yup. Check out the link.

--LinkRemoved--




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest