Florida State Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Mitch McDeere

New

Re: Florida State Class of 2013

Post by Mitch McDeere » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:45 pm

Also, does anyone know where to find the first week assignments in blackboard? None of my teachers are listed in the link they gave us in the email.

Dallas4thewin

New

Post by Dallas4thewin » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:17 pm

Mitch McDeere wrote:Also, does anyone know where to find the first week assignments in blackboard? None of my teachers are listed in the link they gave us in the email.
When they finally put us in the system I would think where you can check your schedule, not sure though. None of my classes are on that link either.

lawschoolstudent85

Bronze

Post by lawschoolstudent85 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:45 pm

Last edited by lawschoolstudent85 on Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mortalnato

New

Post by Mortalnato » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:33 pm

Hey everyone, congrats on getting your schedule.

In regards to first week assignments... last year I don't think they ever put our assignments on that website. In general, the professors will eventually update their blackboard site and add a syllabus / assignment list.

As for professors, I'm disappointed to see that Professor Lee is not teaching Civ Pro this semester. I really liked her. For the professors I had...

Jim Rossi: He was one of my favorite professors. I had him for torts last semester and he is very lively and downright funny at times. He has a strange way of calling on students, tho.... So he has this system called the "wheel of joy." Basically at the beginning of class, he runs a program (created by Prof Bayern) which rapidly cycles through all of the students names and lands on the students that will be called on for the day. The plus is that you'll know when you're getting called on so its not a surprise. The bad part is that the program doesn't take names out so, at least in the beginning of the semester, certain students can get called on a lot. Overall the system is pretty dumb but its not the end of the world.
As for his exam, make SURE you pay attention in class and take lots of notes. Last year his exam was split with half the exam being essay and half the exam being short answer. The exam wasn't too bad at all but the short answer section was basically exactly what he said in class (and wasn't necessarily clear from the book). So people who tended to completely zone off in class or skip a lot did worse on that section. So definitely make sure to go to class, take a lot of notes and get notes from people if you have to skip.

Robin Craig: As green918 can attest to, I really liked Craig. For those of you who will have her at 8 am... prepare for a GOOOOOOOOOD MMMOOOOOOOOOOORNING!!!! (Trust me you'll understand this later). I had her for property last semester. She's basically a machine... she has a syllabus and she will absolutely stick to it. She has slides for all of the classes and actually audio records all of the classes and posts them on blackboard. I would say she probably has the most 'intense' cold calls but they're very infrequent. When she calls on you, you will be on call for the entire case and she'll usually want you to know a lot of details. But she crosses your name off every time you're called on, so if you're called on early then you don't have to be worried about being called on any time soon.
Her exam is pretty unique. Make sure to read the answer key she supplies for her practice exams. She expects A LOT of information. I think I still have some of her property class recordings if anyone wants to hear what she's like. Just send me a PM.

Thomas Burch: (Not to be confused with his wife Elizabeth Burch who teaches Civ Pro) He was my legal writing professor and definitely the most personable professor I had at FSU. Some people won't agree with me (basically because of his beastly assignments) but I really liked him. His LWR section is A LOT of work... seriously... harder than most if not all of the other sections. But he's a great guy and you can always stop by his office at any time to discuss matters with him. For the first semester he was really laid back. I mean... our closed and open assignments revolved around a homeowner dispute involving Hulk Hogan and the Iron Sheik. In the second semester, he gave us a lot of days off in order to just focus on our brief, which was nice. Overall, he is a very nice and respectful guy, but if you want to do well you're going to have to work extremely hard.

I didn't have any of the other professors. I've heard a lot of very good things about Elizabeth Burch and Bayern. Bayern is supposedly a very intelligent and nice guy. Atkinson, as you may have heard, is a bit off the wall and gives a take home final exam which centers around some pretty crazy topics.... enjoy. Sacks is a visiting professor and I know a bunch of people who had her for Con Law II over the summer. The reviews were pretty mixed.

Anyways, congrats on almost officially being 1Ls! If theres one bit of advice I can give, try to get your Bar App in as soon as possible. There's no reason not to. It's cheaper, will be one less thing to think about, and can have its benefits. For example, in choosing the students for the criminal law externship, the externship professor basically chose those students who had submitted their bar apps the earliest. It really is not that long.

eros

New

Post by eros » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:17 pm

Mortalnato wrote: So he has this system called the "wheel of joy." Basically at the beginning of class, he runs a program (created by Prof Bayern) which rapidly cycles through all of the students names and lands on the students that will be called on for the day.
LOL... I can't wait.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

melyanair

New

Post by melyanair » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:20 pm

I'm up for the Monday meetup.

Got the one week orientation package from the office today - looks like it's gonna be great !!!

My schedule:

LAW5300 [2]Civil ProcedureCraig4MWR 8:00 AM - 9:15 AM
LAW5400 [2]PropertyBurleson4MTR 9:30 AM - 10:45 AM
LAW5700 [1]TortsBayern4MTR 3:00 PM - 4:15 PM
LAW5792 [5]Legal Writing & Research IBurch2TF 11:00 AM - 11:55 AM

algid1113

New

Post by algid1113 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:56 pm

too bad i won't be up there until nx weekend...any plans to meet up during the week of orientation?

my schedule:
LAW5300 [1]Civil ProcedureLandau4TRF 11:00 AM - 12:15 PM102
LAW5400 [3]PropertyAtkinson4MWR 1:30 PM - 2:45 PM101
LAW5700 [3]TortsPollard Sacks4TWR 8:00 AM - 9:15 AM103
LAW5792 [1]Legal Writing & Research IWolf2TF 9:30 AM - 10:25 AM241

algid1113

New

Post by algid1113 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:31 pm

has anyone tried buying books yet? i've checked out amazon, half, and bills websites so far. for bills bookstore, all of the books that are required do not have used ones available online. are they available in stores?

are there other websites that sell used books for cheap? at this point, it seems like new books from amazon is the best choice... :shock:

Dallas4thewin

New

Post by Dallas4thewin » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:01 pm

algid1113 wrote:too bad i won't be up there until nx weekend...any plans to meet up during the week of orientation?

my schedule:
LAW5300 [1]Civil ProcedureLandau4TRF 11:00 AM - 12:15 PM102
LAW5400 [3]PropertyAtkinson4MWR 1:30 PM - 2:45 PM101
LAW5700 [3]TortsPollard Sacks4TWR 8:00 AM - 9:15 AM103
LAW5792 [1]Legal Writing & Research IWolf2TF 9:30 AM - 10:25 AM241
Yep doing a BBQ/slip n slide details to come...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

melyanair

New

Post by melyanair » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:50 pm

algid1113 wrote:has anyone tried buying books yet? i've checked out amazon, half, and bills websites so far. for bills bookstore, all of the books that are required do not have used ones available online. are they available in stores?

are there other websites that sell used books for cheap? at this point, it seems like new books from amazon is the best choice... :shock:

+1 ... Bills doenst even have some of my required books - new OR used. Looking like amazon.

ecantelmo

New

Post by ecantelmo » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:37 pm

I went ahead and ordered my stuff on Amazon, but be careful some of the delivery dates aren't until August 30, and one of the books wouldn't even ship for 1-2 months.

mango26

Bronze

Post by mango26 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:11 pm

i'm planning on buying most of my books from fsu bookstore. i need to defer them since i'm broke right now until i get loan $s. if anyone else is planning to do the same, fyi, they won't let you get your books & defer payment on them until the 16th.

Dallas4thewin

New

Post by Dallas4thewin » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:43 pm

So is everyone buying new or used. I want to buy used, but I am a little worried about buying from the internet and not actually seeing the book. Anyone have some thoughts on this?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

eros

New

Post by eros » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:49 pm

Dallas4thewin wrote:So is everyone buying new or used. I want to buy used, but I am a little worried about buying from the internet and not actually seeing the book. Anyone have some thoughts on this?
Yea I have the same concerns... I'm thinking I may try to pick up the Legal Writing book online as these seem to be plentiful, but I'll probably suck it up and buy the others from the bookstore at least for this semester. I don't wanna be that guy who gets called on 3rd day of class and is still waiting on the book. Happened enough times in undergrad lol.

TheSituation

New

Post by TheSituation » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:32 pm

Hey guys... haven't posted for awhile because getting settled in here in Tallahassee has been so hectic. Anyway, I am in the section that has Craig for CivPro. I just checked the class Blackboard for Craig's CivPro and she's got some announcements up already. I clicked on the class roster and it looks like there are 61 people in her class, so it looks like right now about 180 total for our class if I had to guess. Smaller than I thought it would be. I am probably going to the FSU bookstore and Bill's Bookstore to check out the prices tomorrow.

Anybody want to post an update about the optional orientation? Curious to know what you guys are up to.

Mortalnato

New

Post by Mortalnato » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:19 pm

TheSituation wrote:Hey guys... haven't posted for awhile because getting settled in here in Tallahassee has been so hectic. Anyway, I am in the section that has Craig for CivPro. I just checked the class Blackboard for Craig's CivPro and she's got some announcements up already. I clicked on the class roster and it looks like there are 61 people in her class, so it looks like right now about 180 total for our class if I had to guess. Smaller than I thought it would be. I am probably going to the FSU bookstore and Bill's Bookstore to check out the prices tomorrow.

Anybody want to post an update about the optional orientation? Curious to know what you guys are up to.

I had forgotten that option orientation was starting until yesterday when the entire horde stampeded by me while I was preparing for an OCI interview. :lol: Seems like a pretty social and outgoing group. I'm also curious to hear how people like it thus far

I am very disappointed in this optional orientation, tho.... I was looking forward to raiding the orientation lunch today only to hear that they're doing lunch on their own... how lame

Sean Bateman

Bronze

Post by Sean Bateman » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:07 pm

Hey guys! I haven't really posted on this forum in months but now that it's crunch time just wanted to drop in.

I'm also in the section that has Craig for civpro. Send me a PM if your in this section so we can get up on facebook.

Those of you that came out Monday, we've already been acquainted. Look forward to seeing everyone next week!

sb

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

melyanair

New

Post by melyanair » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:01 pm

Also in the section that has craig for CivPro.

I'm doing the optional orientation and it's going really well. Dean Weidner is a really great professor, and along with four 3Ls and a fe wother profs, having giving us the 411 on what to expect in law school. We have our property exam on Monday, so most people are probably studying, which is why no one is on here talking about this :).

Looking forward to meeting everyone on Wednesday, and to a great year!

procrastinator

Bronze

Post by procrastinator » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:57 pm

melyanair wrote:Also in the section that has craig for CivPro.

I'm doing the optional orientation and it's going really well. Dean Weidner is a really great professor, and along with four 3Ls and a fe wother profs, having giving us the 411 on what to expect in law school. We have our property exam on Monday, so most people are probably studying, which is why no one is on here talking about this :).

Looking forward to meeting everyone on Wednesday, and to a great year!
Most of us were probably sleeping all day.

snuggleuffagus

New

Post by snuggleuffagus » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:04 pm

i got the craig civ pro section too ^_^

TheSituation

New

Post by TheSituation » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:01 pm

"Are you sure it was SuperBowl 38 in 2004?" LOL

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mango26

Bronze

Post by mango26 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:10 pm

does anyone know how many credits we take next semester?

Tuyarp

Bronze

Post by Tuyarp » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:51 pm

mango26 wrote:does anyone know how many credits we take next semester?
16 credits.

mango26

Bronze

Post by mango26 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:05 am

has anyone bought "supp materials" from the copy center yet? i'm curious as to how much they cost on average...

procrastinator

Bronze

Post by procrastinator » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:14 am

$32 for Atkinson's. You have to pay with cash or check, no deferments or FSU card charges.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”