Florida State Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Tuyarp

Bronze

Re: Florida State Class of 2013

Post by Tuyarp » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:32 pm

Click on Financial Aid Student Toolkit, which can be seen after clicking on Secure Apps. Then you should be able to select an academic year. Choose 2010-2011. You should be able to see both scholly and loan information.

Dallas4thewin

New

Post by Dallas4thewin » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:40 pm

Just got back from apartment searching all day(more exhausting then you think). I saw a lot of complexes so if anyone has any questions id be happy to answer them.

TheSituation

New

Post by TheSituation » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:43 pm

Hi Dallas. I am going down to Tallahassee next week to look at some places. Where did you go and what were your impressions. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

harvestmoon

New

Post by harvestmoon » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:09 pm

I emailed one of the associate deans today and asked about my scholarship (since it's not showing up on Blackboard). She said they received my form and financial aid is still processing everything, so don't worry if your scholarship's not on Blackboard right now :)

Dallas4thewin

New

Post by Dallas4thewin » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:02 am

Hey sit, yeah when i get a chance in the AM i will post all the places I saw with my thoughts and prices I got. I can tell you right now I will be signing my lease at the evergreens at Mahan, fell in love with it, compared to everything else I saw.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dallas4thewin

New

Post by Dallas4thewin » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:55 pm

So I went to Tally this week to go apartment hunting, and get a better feel for the area. I wanted to share at least my prospective from what I saw for those who haven’t made it up there yet. Below I will detail all the apartments, and restaurants I went to. Tally overall was amazing spending my whole life in South Florida, it was a huge change but I loved every minute of it. It’s hard to put in words, but there is almost a different mood in the area, everyone seems generally happy. Driving around the city, especially downtown can be confusing, but after the second day I feel I know my way around really well(the city is really not that big). I could go on and on about how great the few days were that I spent there, but I am sure you guys do not want to here that. Overall, I was still on the edge about my decision to attended FSU, I was pending at a few other schools, and was still holding on to another school similar in ranking (I think we all know who I am talking about), but after this trip I withdrew from all other schools and couldn’t be happier, and more excited to attend in the Fall (really sad I had to leave).

Places I went to eat:

Andrews’s downtown: really nice sports bar/grill. It was a bit pricey but the food was good and eating outside on the patio while overlooking the capital made for quite a sight.

Floyds: next to Andrews, I would venture to call it an upgraded dive bar. Cheap drinks, and I could see this place being a really cool potential hang out after a long week of classes.

All Saints Coffee: probably the craziest coffee place I have ever been to. All I am going to say is if you want to find out more look it up online

Bagel head: Really good bagel, and sandwich place

Apartments:

I started my search in South wood, after looking at all the apartments next to law school. There was nothing wrong with the ones across the school, however there was a huge bar behind one of them, and I could see noise being a huge problem

Alexan South wood Apartments: Probably the most luxury type apartments I saw. The kitchen blew my mind, and the overall layout was awesome. Only drawback here is the rooms were so small I could only fit a queen size bed in it. Also they ran really high I believe like 890 with one month free rent.

Delaney: Nice complex, however the apartments did not live up to how much you would be paying.

Polos on Park: Loved this community, and was my number one until I got to the apartment I will speak of next. Great community seemed nice and peaceful, and when I was there they had 2 months free rent which they would allow you to prorate over 12 months. Also it really was not in my opinion that far away from the school.

Evergreens at Mahan: This is the community I decided on finally. I fell in love with the place. I could go on and on with why I loved it and choose it, but that would take up allot of space. If you want to know more about it just PM me, I would be glad to help you. Also they have a great special running now, and the leasing staff was such a huge help, and made you feel wanted. (Would love fellow 1L neighbors)

Victoria Grand: Having parents who have a condo in Orlando, this place felt exactly like a resort. The pool was amazing, and the amenities were out of this world. By far the most aesthetically pleasing out of everywhere I saw. Only drawback you pay for those amenities. The apartments were nice, but for almost a grand they were nothing special. That being said if I could afford to live here, I definitely would have.

I visited a lot of other places to many to write, but I wanted to highlight a few. If anyone has any questions at all about the area, and what I saw id be happy to answer what I can.

Sorry for the grammar mistakes I was in a rush when I wrote this.

procrastinator

Bronze

Post by procrastinator » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:19 pm

Anyone considering doing the one week summer orientation program? I have a wedding in Iowa the previous Saturday but I'm still strongly considering flying back for it.

Dallas4thewin

New

Post by Dallas4thewin » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:45 am

procrastinator wrote:Anyone considering doing the one week summer orientation program? I have a wedding in Iowa the previous Saturday but I'm still strongly considering flying back for it.
I am considering it, but the way they made it seems as if it was sort of a remedial program. I would like to hear from someone who has actually done the program, either way I am sending in my application this wee. I will be in Tally anyway I cant see the program hurting.

procrastinator

Bronze

Post by procrastinator » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:31 pm

Yeah, well I've been out of academic life for about 3 years, so it would be nice to have something to get back into the swing of things. Especially since two of those years were spent in the brain drain that is the Army.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

melyanair

New

Post by melyanair » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:56 pm

Yes, I am considering the 1 week program. Been out of school for almost 5 years, and will take any assistance I can get to "get back into the grove" of studying.

Does anyone know wnythig about the university owned apartments - Alumini Village? I applied for on-campus housing and was just assigned a 3 bedroom apartment at $660/month (for all 3 rooms, not shared). It's a mile and half from the law school, but I'm wonderign why I haven't heard anyone else talkign about it on here.

Dallas4thewin

New

Post by Dallas4thewin » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:19 pm

So how is everyone doing on the Summer suggested reading list?

TheSituation

New

Post by TheSituation » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:55 pm

That suggested reading list is insane. I can't even imagine the most dedicated gunner could get through it all. I think I am going to sign up for the week of prep before orientation though.

Dallas4thewin

New

Post by Dallas4thewin » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:18 pm

TheSituation wrote:That suggested reading list is insane. I can't even imagine the most dedicated gunner could get through it all. I think I am going to sign up for the week of prep before orientation though.

My thoughts exactly, you find a place yet Sit?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TheSituation

New

Post by TheSituation » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:26 pm

I'm going down this week to check some places out. I'll definitely take a look at Evergreens. Your post was helpful... thanks.

lawschoolstudent85

Bronze

Post by lawschoolstudent85 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:09 pm

Last edited by lawschoolstudent85 on Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

procrastinator

Bronze

Post by procrastinator » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:31 pm

lawschoolstudent85 wrote:
TheSituation wrote:That suggested reading list is insane. I can't even imagine the most dedicated gunner could get through it all. I think I am going to sign up for the week of prep before orientation though.

I'm sure there will be a few people out there that think they need to try to read as much of that list as possible. Those poor people.
I've already read a few of those titles, but it was a couple years ago. Judging by the infinitesimal amount of information I learned from at least two of those books, I probably won't waste any time on the rest.

Dallas4thewin

New

Post by Dallas4thewin » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:39 pm

TheSituation wrote:I'm going down this week to check some places out. I'll definitely take a look at Evergreens. Your post was helpful... thanks.
Not a problem.............. So when is everyone get up or down there? I personally can't wait to get back.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ksd05c

New

Post by ksd05c » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:53 pm

Dallas4thewin wrote:
TheSituation wrote:I'm going down this week to check some places out. I'll definitely take a look at Evergreens. Your post was helpful... thanks.
Not a problem.............. So when is everyone get up or down there? I personally can't wait to get back.
I already live here. Never found a reason to leave. :)

Dallas4thewin

New

Post by Dallas4thewin » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:21 pm

This thread needs some life pumped back into. I was looking at the thread from last year and looks like they all had a meet up night, at a bar before orientation. Who all would be interested in a TLS meet up?

lawschoolstudent85

Bronze

Post by lawschoolstudent85 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:47 am

I.
Last edited by lawschoolstudent85 on Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

procrastinator

Bronze

Post by procrastinator » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:57 am

Most definitely. I'm probably going to move in on August 1.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

crashs1

New

Post by crashs1 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:53 am

Tallahassee local here and will be starting FSU law this fall. Lived Tallahassee for most of the time since I started FSU undergrad in 1994. A few other good spots to check out near the school:

Bird's Oyster Shack: Probably the best burgers in town, cheap, with live music several nights per week.

Fermentation Lounge: Great, small laid-back lounge done in a mid-century modern theme off All Saints Road near the Railroad Square Art District. Huge bottled and draft beer selection and fun staff/owners.

Wells Brother's Bar and Grill (AKA Monk's): Casual and fun dining spot on Tharpe, popular with students and non-students. Large menu with an enormous burger selection and great pizzas. Small, but quality beer selection. Have cornhole boards out back near their patio.

Also, Dallas, Andrews is a bit pricey, but they do have a decent happy hour from 4-8 and all weekend with $2 off appetizers and $6 pitchers. Great spot for people watching near the capital.

Currently, I live in a home in Southwood. It is a pretty quiet, planned community, a good spot if you are looking for somewhere a little less loud than the student spots near the school. It is about 15 minutes from downtown depending on traffic. Have also lived in several other areas of town.

If anyone in the class has any questions about FSU or Tallahassee, I would be happy to answer them. I attended FSU for undergrad, graduate school and have lived here for over 15 years.

Would be in for a pre-orientation get together and could pass along a few places that I'm sure would be happy to host it.

Dallas4thewin

New

Post by Dallas4thewin » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:57 am

crashs1 wrote:Tallahassee local here and will be starting FSU law this fall. Lived Tallahassee for most of the time since I started FSU undergrad in 1994. A few other good spots to check out near the school:

Bird's Oyster Shack: Probably the best burgers in town, cheap, with live music several nights per week.

Fermentation Lounge: Great, small laid-back lounge done in a mid-century modern theme off All Saints Road near the Railroad Square Art District. Huge bottled and draft beer selection and fun staff/owners.

Wells Brother's Bar and Grill (AKA Monk's): Casual and fun dining spot on Tharpe, popular with students and non-students. Large menu with an enormous burger selection and great pizzas. Small, but quality beer selection. Have cornhole boards out back near their patio.

Also, Dallas, Andrews is a bit pricey, but they do have a decent happy hour from 4-8 and all weekend with $2 off appetizers and $6 pitchers. Great spot for people watching near the capital.

Currently, I live in a home in Southwood. It is a pretty quiet, planned community, a good spot if you are looking for somewhere a little less loud than the student spots near the school. It is about 15 minutes from downtown depending on traffic. Have also lived in several other areas of town.

If anyone in the class has any questions about FSU or Tallahassee, I would be happy to answer them. I attended FSU for undergrad, graduate school and have lived here for over 15 years.

Would be in for a pre-orientation get together and could pass along a few places that I'm sure would be happy to host it.
Crash congrats on your acceptance, and welcome to the class.

So we got 4 people from TLS confirmed for a get together. I have been speaking with a few people I have met from the FB group so its up to like 10. It would be great if we could get a few more people together. Who else is down?

Tuyarp

Bronze

Post by Tuyarp » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:13 pm

Would love to join the get together, but I won't get in town until the day before orientation starts =/

JJWAL

New

Post by JJWAL » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:28 pm

Last edited by JJWAL on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”