Emory Class of 2013!

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
sebastian0622

Re: Emory Class of 2013!

Postby sebastian0622 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:08 pm

andrea0605 wrote:
sebastian0622 wrote:Emory is my top choice right now. Atlanta is a great city, so it'd be hard to pass up Emory. Looking forward to seeing you all in a month! I might come in on Thursday to watch the Cubs/Braves game that night (Braves are on a road trip starting that Friday), so let me know if you'd want to go and maybe a group of us could get seats together.

likewise. can i still come if i'm a cubs fan? :)

That's all good with me. I'm in the Midwest and have actually been to a few Iowa Cubs (AAA) games in Des Moines.

maximus34998

Postby maximus34998 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:25 am

randtuckman wrote:For those of you 1-3Ls or others knowledgeable about the area (live there, etc, maximus34998) a question: My fiancee and I will be moving to Atlanta over the summer. We plan to buy a condo downtown, in one of those awesome high-rises. Is this feasible access to Emory? Trying to gauge what my drive to class situation is going to look like.

I am nervous only because I keep reading advice posts and locations directly adjacent to campus seem greatly favored. I want my high-rise damnit.

Yeah, you'll definitely be fine. I would time it and maybe try a couple different routes depending on where exactly you are looking, but yeah, it won't be bad at all.

It seems like the locations that are relatively close (the apartment complexes, etc.) are more geared to those of us that are single (or at least not having SOs in the city) and straight (or just a year or 2) out of UG.

randtuckman

Postby randtuckman » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:02 pm

Well, I turned 26 recently... suppose this makes me one of the older guys coming to Emory, but surely not enough to need a segregated community!

Anyone formed an older students anonymous yet?

hhg

Postby hhg » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:29 pm

randtuckman wrote:Well, I turned 26 recently... suppose this makes me one of the older guys coming to Emory, but surely not enough to need a segregated community!

26 is old?? i'll be 26 when i start as well... i know emory law's average starting age is 23ish, but i never thought mid-20s would be considered 'old'.

maximus34998

Postby maximus34998 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:06 am

hhg wrote:
randtuckman wrote:Well, I turned 26 recently... suppose this makes me one of the older guys coming to Emory, but surely not enough to need a segregated community!

26 is old?? i'll be 26 when i start as well... i know emory law's average starting age is 23ish, but i never thought mid-20s would be considered 'old'.

Yeah I'm at that average---I'll be 23 when I start in the fall. But I promise to not consider you 26 year olds as old!

UFMatt

Postby UFMatt » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:07 am

hhg wrote:

I'll be 28 when I start this fall. Probably will be quite a few of us in our mid to late 20s.

aviddave

Postby aviddave » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:01 am

Just turned - OMG - 30! And I'm leaning towards returning to Emory. (Was an undergrad there about a century ago.) Missing ASD, but visiting the Monday before.

andrea0605

Postby andrea0605 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:25 am

I, too, will be 26 when school starts... although I'm Asian, so I guess I still look 14. And if it means that I can rent a car (which, if we're following stereotypes, I'm going to drive erratically through Decatur at about 8 mph) for ASD without the extra "under 25" charge, I'm ok with being old. :)

DukeHopeful

Postby DukeHopeful » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:43 pm

Whoooo, I can finally join an accepted students' thread! I noticed a bunch of you talking about going to ASW in a few weeks, are most of you going to the mixer on Fri? Is that supposed to be casual attire as well? Thanks, hope to see some of you there!

UFMatt

Postby UFMatt » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:17 am

DukeHopeful wrote:Whoooo, I can finally join an accepted students' thread! I noticed a bunch of you talking about going to ASW in a few weeks, are most of you going to the mixer on Fri? Is that supposed to be casual attire as well? Thanks, hope to see some of you there!

I'll be at the mixer on Friday. I'm assuming both days are business casual.

Looking forward to meeting some of you.

runn3rs

Postby runn3rs » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:42 am

DukeHopeful wrote:Whoooo, I can finally join an accepted students' thread! I noticed a bunch of you talking about going to ASW in a few weeks, are most of you going to the mixer on Fri? Is that supposed to be casual attire as well? Thanks, hope to see some of you there!

I don't know which Friday event you are referring to, but I think that the reception on Friday night at an alum's house will be a little more semi-formal. I think all the saturday events are really casual.

I'm not sure what the attire is for the lunch with Paul Hastings. I think events like that later in the year will be formal, but the attire for ASW could be different.

Pro Boner

Postby Pro Boner » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:50 am

Coming for ASD. Any ATLers (or non) have recommendations for hotels?

rando

Postby rando » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:56 am

Pro Boner wrote:Coming for ASD. Any ATLers (or non) have recommendations for hotels?

Emory university inn.

It is right across the street from the law school

lawduder

Postby lawduder » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:32 am

runn3rs wrote:

I don't know which Friday event you are referring to, but I think that the reception on Friday night at an alum's house will be a little more semi-formal. I think all the saturday events are really casual.

I'm not sure what the attire is for the lunch with Paul Hastings. I think events like that later in the year will be formal, but the attire for ASW could be different.

I called the school and they said that both events were casual dress though I'd probably wear something other than a t-shirt.

anniesaysrelax

Postby anniesaysrelax » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:23 pm

Visited the school yesterday and have been trying to decide between Emory and USC. The trip to ATL did the trick as I dropped off my deposit this morning at the admissions office. Can't make it to ASD, so I guess I'll see y'all in August!

randtuckman

Postby randtuckman » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:38 pm

@anniesaysrelax - Excited to have you join the ranks! I think Atlanta is an awesome city for law school, and Emory is an awesome law school in Atlanta... looks like you feel the same way.

autao

Postby autao » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:53 pm

Also 99% sure I will be attending Emory in the fall, barring something awful at the ASD which I don't expect because I visited in the fall and absolutely loved it. Having picked a school now I am very excited for the fall and becoming classmates with many of you.

WineO

Postby WineO » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:37 pm

aviddave wrote:

Just turned - OMG - 30! And I'm leaning towards returning to Emory. (Was an undergrad there about a century ago.) Missing ASD, but visiting the Monday before.

I will be 36 by the time I start. As far as I am concerned you can all call me old.

mavsman88

Postby mavsman88 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:28 am

Any advice on where to live?

maximus34998

Postby maximus34998 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:32 am

mavsman88 wrote:Any advice on where to live?

Seems like the best places are a couple of the Post properties or a couple of the Gables properties. There are many other apartment complexes in the area as well. It seems like the biggest proportion of 1L's live off of Briarcliff Road (which is very close to the school.)

I've heard of this Campus Crossing place, which is supposedly the unofficial Emory Graduate Housing. But I seem to remember hearing there were a TON of problems with that place, so I'm not sure if I'm even going to look there.

mavsman88

Postby mavsman88 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:36 pm

Any other thoughts on where to live?

UFMatt

Postby UFMatt » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:30 pm

There is a reasonably-priced apartment complex just north of campus named 'Calibre Woods.' The photos on the website make it look nice and clean, but admittedly I have no first-hand knowledge. I'll probably check it out next weekend. The 2 bed/2 bath is under $1000 and looks to be within a mile north of campus, so the price and location are good.

jakamajiga

Postby jakamajiga » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:38 pm

Anyone going to ASW interested in picking a bar to meet up at Friday or Saturday night? I'm not familiar with anything in the area, but would definitely like to meet up for drinks one of the two nights. I won't be in ATL on time to make the Friday night mixer.

autao

Postby autao » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:45 pm

UFMatt wrote:There is a reasonably-priced apartment complex just north of campus named 'Calibre Woods.' The photos on the website make it look nice and clean, but admittedly I have no first-hand knowledge. I'll probably check it out next weekend. The 2 bed/2 bath is under $1000 and looks to be within a mile north of campus, so the price and location are good.

Matt if you do end up checking out Calibre Woods let us know what you think. I will also try and check it out if I arrive in town with enough time. Anyone else have any experience with Calibre Woods? The price and location seem great but any first hand knowledge would certainly help.

rando

Postby rando » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:48 pm

autao wrote:
UFMatt wrote:There is a reasonably-priced apartment complex just north of campus named 'Calibre Woods.' The photos on the website make it look nice and clean, but admittedly I have no first-hand knowledge. I'll probably check it out next weekend. The 2 bed/2 bath is under $1000 and looks to be within a mile north of campus, so the price and location are good.

Matt if you do end up checking out Calibre Woods let us know what you think. I will also try and check it out if I arrive in town with enough time. Anyone else have any experience with Calibre Woods? The price and location seem great but any first hand knowledge would certainly help.

I do not have first hand knowledge of that apt. complex. But... It is in a very orthodox jewish neighborhood. The all of la vista road from north druid hills down to briarcliff is jewish communities. Not a good or a bad thing. just saying. That being said, I don't think Post Briarcliff is all that family oriented. Mostly grad students.

The Campus Crossings was a great idea and a ton of 1L's live there this year. However, due to the massive rains we got this year, there was a flooding issue. One of the pipes burst. It was a major issue. I doubt it would ever happen again, but ...

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”