Emory Class of 2013!

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
User avatar
thestoryends
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:55 am

Re: Emory Class of 2013!

Postby thestoryends » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:52 pm

just rsvp'd for ASW. actually really psyched. i kind of applied to emory on a whim, but it's a real contenda right now! where are people staying in ATL? I don't know the area at all... I'm guessing you need a car to get around though?

User avatar
somewherewarm
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:28 am

Re: Emory Class of 2013!

Postby somewherewarm » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:24 pm

thestoryends wrote:just rsvp'd for ASW. actually really psyched. i kind of applied to emory on a whim, but it's a real contenda right now! where are people staying in ATL? I don't know the area at all... I'm guessing you need a car to get around though?


I'll be staying at the Emory Inn, the University recommends either the Emory Inn or the Emory Conference Center although I'm sure there are other places to stay in Atlanta. The Conference Center is a little more pricey but has better amenities.

User avatar
maximus34998
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:16 am

Re: Emory Class of 2013!

Postby maximus34998 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:47 pm

thestoryends wrote:just rsvp'd for ASW. actually really psyched. i kind of applied to emory on a whim, but it's a real contenda right now! where are people staying in ATL? I don't know the area at all... I'm guessing you need a car to get around though?


I'll be staying at home! But yeah, you really need a car in Atlanta to get around. You could potentially not need one, but it just makes life much, much easier if you have a car in Atlanta.

andrea0605
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:37 am

Re: Emory Class of 2013!

Postby andrea0605 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:59 pm

sebastian0622 wrote:Emory is my top choice right now. Atlanta is a great city, so it'd be hard to pass up Emory. Looking forward to seeing you all in a month! I might come in on Thursday to watch the Cubs/Braves game that night (Braves are on a road trip starting that Friday), so let me know if you'd want to go and maybe a group of us could get seats together.


likewise. can i still come if i'm a cubs fan? :)

User avatar
maximus34998
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:16 am

Re: Emory Class of 2013!

Postby maximus34998 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:53 pm

andrea0605 wrote:
sebastian0622 wrote:Emory is my top choice right now. Atlanta is a great city, so it'd be hard to pass up Emory. Looking forward to seeing you all in a month! I might come in on Thursday to watch the Cubs/Braves game that night (Braves are on a road trip starting that Friday), so let me know if you'd want to go and maybe a group of us could get seats together.


likewise. can i still come if i'm a cubs fan? :)


I guess we could deal with that! :-)

Anyone else get the e-mail yet about getting to have an elective in our first year? Pretty exciting!

eldizknee
Posts: 162
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:33 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2013!

Postby eldizknee » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:54 pm

.
Last edited by eldizknee on Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
maximus34998
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:16 am

Re: Emory Class of 2013!

Postby maximus34998 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:13 pm

It also looks like there is no longer going to be a "Legal Methods" class as part of the first-year curriculum, as well. The website says that Legislation and Regulation will probably our one substantive course that is with our small section. I think the Legal Methods class used to be the small section class.

eldizknee
Posts: 162
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:33 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2013!

Postby eldizknee » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:28 pm

.
Last edited by eldizknee on Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
maximus34998
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:16 am

Re: Emory Class of 2013!

Postby maximus34998 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:31 pm

eldizknee wrote:
maximus34998 wrote:It also looks like there is no longer going to be a "Legal Methods" class as part of the first-year curriculum, as well. The website says that Legislation and Regulation will probably our one substantive course that is with our small section. I think the Legal Methods class used to be the small section class.


I think the research writing and appellate course is small too. That's their LRW course


Yeah, I think you're right about that...two small section classes seems normal or even more than most schools, so that's another plus for Emory.

williamhudson03
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:37 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2013!

Postby williamhudson03 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:33 pm

All of you guys got $?? Man, i feel left out! All i got was an acceptance package. :cry:

rando
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:57 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2013!

Postby rando » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:40 pm

somewherewarm wrote:
thestoryends wrote:just rsvp'd for ASW. actually really psyched. i kind of applied to emory on a whim, but it's a real contenda right now! where are people staying in ATL? I don't know the area at all... I'm guessing you need a car to get around though?


I'll be staying at the Emory Inn, the University recommends either the Emory Inn or the Emory Conference Center although I'm sure there are other places to stay in Atlanta. The Conference Center is a little more pricey but has better amenities.


Emory Inn is much closer to the law school. Just across the street. Conference center is about a mile.

rando
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:57 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2013!

Postby rando » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:41 pm

maximus34998 wrote:
Anyone else get the e-mail yet about getting to have an elective in our first year? Pretty exciting!


That is pretty cool, but beware, civ pro is going to be super hard now, being condensed into one semester....

rando
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:57 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2013!

Postby rando » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:43 pm

maximus34998 wrote:It also looks like there is no longer going to be a "Legal Methods" class as part of the first-year curriculum, as well. The website says that Legislation and Regulation will probably our one substantive course that is with our small section. I think the Legal Methods class used to be the small section class.


Legislation and regulation is basically a description of what legal methods was. So it sounds like they are just changing the course a bit. Legal methods was not the small section, it was torts, strangely enough.

User avatar
hhg
Posts: 169
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:32 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2013!

Postby hhg » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:44 pm

rando wrote:
maximus34998 wrote:
Anyone else get the e-mail yet about getting to have an elective in our first year? Pretty exciting!


That is pretty cool, but beware, civ pro is going to be super hard now, being condensed into one semester....


most schools only do 1 semester of civpro.

rando
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:57 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2013!

Postby rando » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:45 pm

eldizknee wrote:
maximus34998 wrote:It also looks like there is no longer going to be a "Legal Methods" class as part of the first-year curriculum, as well. The website says that Legislation and Regulation will probably our one substantive course that is with our small section. I think the Legal Methods class used to be the small section class.


I think the research writing and appellate course is small too. That's their LRW course


LWRAP is actually smaller than the sections. Your section is split between two profs. LWRAP=Legal Writing Research and Advocacy Program.

Sorry for all the posts, should have just put all the quotes into one. oh well.

rando
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:57 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2013!

Postby rando » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:46 pm

hhg wrote:
rando wrote:
maximus34998 wrote:
Anyone else get the e-mail yet about getting to have an elective in our first year? Pretty exciting!


That is pretty cool, but beware, civ pro is going to be super hard now, being condensed into one semester....


most schools only do 1 semester of civpro.


ok. Emory didn't. Its going to be almost twice as much material in one semester. Have fun.

runn3rs
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:23 am

Re: Emory Class of 2013!

Postby runn3rs » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:40 am

rando wrote:
hhg wrote:
rando wrote:
maximus34998 wrote:
Anyone else get the e-mail yet about getting to have an elective in our first year? Pretty exciting!


That is pretty cool, but beware, civ pro is going to be super hard now, being condensed into one semester....


most schools only do 1 semester of civpro.


ok. Emory didn't. Its going to be almost twice as much material in one semester. Have fun.


Instead of two three-hour courses we'll now have one four-hour course. I don't think that means we'll have "almost twice as much."

I was super pumped when I read the letter. This is very, very good news.

User avatar
throughthewetgrass
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:15 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2013!

Postby throughthewetgrass » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:50 am

yall are in for a treat, Emory is an amazing school with a ton of opportunities if you go after them.

Thank your lucky stars that Legal Methods is banished to the rubbish heap. It's probably a useful class if you don't really have any prior knowledge about the court systems or how American government works, but if you've had any of that in undergrad, then you would have probably been pretty bored in the class.

LWRAP is a bit of a pain, but if you stay on top of things and FIND OUT WHAT YOUR PROFESSOR WANTS then you'll be ok. Just get it done.

For the Macs v. PC question, I have a Mac so that might explain some of my computing problems here, but the one downside to Emory is that the wireless network is terrible and the IT guys (while they say they're doing a lot to fix it) haven't succeeded thus far despite the many MANY complaints.

I'd recommend asking a TON of questions about the wireless when you come for Student's Day, if they realize yall know about it then they MIGHT really do something to fix it.

Let me know if you have questions.

User avatar
UFMatt
Posts: 404
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:59 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2013!

Postby UFMatt » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:50 pm

throughthewetgrass wrote:Let me know if you have questions.


I have a question about housing. Do most people rent apartments in Decatur? Conversely, is it plausible to rent/buy a (town)house a bit further away in southeastern Decatur, or would the traffic be awful enough to dissuade people from doing so?

Thanks.

rando
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:57 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2013!

Postby rando » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:06 pm

UFMatt wrote:
throughthewetgrass wrote:Let me know if you have questions.


I have a question about housing. Do most people rent apartments in Decatur? Conversely, is it plausible to rent/buy a (town)house a bit further away in southeastern Decatur, or would the traffic be awful enough to dissuade people from doing so?

Thanks.


I lived in SouthEast Decatur my first year and it worked well. Most people live on the other side of town though. If you want the "community" feel of living with a bunch of law students then go to post briarcliff or gables sheridan. They are overpriced and not that close, but that is where people go. Besides that, people are all over. Traffic isn't much of an issue unless you are traveling at rush hour.

User avatar
UFMatt
Posts: 404
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:59 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2013!

Postby UFMatt » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:11 pm

rando wrote:
UFMatt wrote:
throughthewetgrass wrote:Let me know if you have questions.


I have a question about housing. Do most people rent apartments in Decatur? Conversely, is it plausible to rent/buy a (town)house a bit further away in southeastern Decatur, or would the traffic be awful enough to dissuade people from doing so?

Thanks.


I lived in SouthEast Decatur my first year and it worked well. Most people live on the other side of town though. If you want the "community" feel of living with a bunch of law students then go to post briarcliff or gables sheridan. They are overpriced and not that close, but that is where people go. Besides that, people are all over. Traffic isn't much of an issue unless you are traveling at rush hour.


Good to know, thanks. In regards to "unless you are traveling at rush hour," I can see how working late would avoid the evening rush, but how can you avoid the morning rush? What time do 1L classes typically begin?

User avatar
maximus34998
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:16 am

Re: Emory Class of 2013!

Postby maximus34998 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:16 pm

UFMatt wrote:
rando wrote:
UFMatt wrote:
throughthewetgrass wrote:Let me know if you have questions.


I have a question about housing. Do most people rent apartments in Decatur? Conversely, is it plausible to rent/buy a (town)house a bit further away in southeastern Decatur, or would the traffic be awful enough to dissuade people from doing so?

Thanks.


I lived in SouthEast Decatur my first year and it worked well. Most people live on the other side of town though. If you want the "community" feel of living with a bunch of law students then go to post briarcliff or gables sheridan. They are overpriced and not that close, but that is where people go. Besides that, people are all over. Traffic isn't much of an issue unless you are traveling at rush hour.


Good to know, thanks. In regards to "unless you are traveling at rush hour," I can see how working late would avoid the evening rush, but how can you avoid the morning rush? What time do 1L classes typically begin?


Considering Atlanta rush hour is 6:30am-10am...it really doesn't matter! :)

Rando, are there a lot of people living in the VaHi area? Or does it get too expensive?

rando
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:57 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2013!

Postby rando » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:30 pm

maximus34998 wrote:
Considering Atlanta rush hour is 6:30am-10am...it really doesn't matter! :)

Rando, are there a lot of people living in the VaHi area? Or does it get too expensive?


Well, rush hour in decatur only really takes place on a couple roads and it doesn't last that long. I would avoid 7:45-9. Besides that, you should be fine. I am an early riser and like to get to school by 6:30am regardless but it really shouldn't be much of an issue. Traffic is avoidable, you will figure out what works best for you.

Not many 1L's live in Virginia Highlands. Though some 2L's and 3L's move out that way. There just aren't as many apt. type places out in that direction and people who do live there tend to rent houses.

User avatar
randtuckman
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:43 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2013!

Postby randtuckman » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:13 pm

For those of you 1-3Ls or others knowledgeable about the area (live there, etc, maximus34998) a question: My fiancee and I will be moving to Atlanta over the summer. We plan to buy a condo downtown, in one of those awesome high-rises. Is this feasible access to Emory? Trying to gauge what my drive to class situation is going to look like.

I am nervous only because I keep reading advice posts and locations directly adjacent to campus seem greatly favored. I want my high-rise damnit.

rando
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:57 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2013!

Postby rando » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:50 pm

randtuckman wrote:For those of you 1-3Ls or others knowledgeable about the area (live there, etc, maximus34998) a question: My fiancee and I will be moving to Atlanta over the summer. We plan to buy a condo downtown, in one of those awesome high-rises. Is this feasible access to Emory? Trying to gauge what my drive to class situation is going to look like.

I am nervous only because I keep reading advice posts and locations directly adjacent to campus seem greatly favored. I want my high-rise damnit.


It is certainly doable. If you time it right, should only take you 15-20min to drive to school. There are plenty of people that commute from much further.




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests