Emory Class of 2013! Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Sammey1253

New

Re: Emory Class of 2013!

Post by Sammey1253 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:35 pm

Can somehow tell me how ASW went? I didn't get a chance to attend, but Emory is my top choice. I visited the school back in February and fell in love.

lawduder

Bronze

Post by lawduder » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:46 pm

Sammey1253 wrote:Can somehow tell me how ASW went? I didn't get a chance to attend, but Emory is my top choice. I visited the school back in February and fell in love.
There's so much to say. Simply put: it was amazing. If there was any doubt in my mind that Emory was the right choice for me, that's completely gone now. Both the professors and students were super friendly. ASW was very laid back and casual; the dean of admissions was a friendly guy and it really felt like they did everything they could to make us feel right at home. I couldn't have asked for a better experience and I really don't think it could have been any better.

Barolo

New

Post by Barolo » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:19 pm

I didn't make it, but I visited in March. Just a great feel to the place -- people and profs. Lawduder's right, Ethan (dean of adm.) is terrific, a truly nice guy. I'm glad to hear that you guys enjoyed it. I'll look forward to meeting you in August.

flagirl

New

Post by flagirl » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:35 am

How does everyone feel about the employment statistics they released? And how is that factoring in your decision? I loved Emory like everyone else I felt right at home. I guess my question for everyone is how do you feel about your job prospects and I'm also interested in what states you all are looking for jobs?

leraa6587

Bronze

Post by leraa6587 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:53 am

Last edited by leraa6587 on Mon May 03, 2010 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

flagirl

New

Post by flagirl » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:19 am

leraa6587 wrote:
flagirl wrote:How does everyone feel about the employment statistics they released? And how is that factoring in your decision? I loved Emory like everyone else I felt right at home. I guess my question for everyone is how do you feel about your job prospects and I'm also interested in what states you all are looking for jobs?

I'm eventually looking to return to TX but wouldn't mind staying in GA. My take? It sucks for everyone, everywhere. I was offered a huge scholarship to Wake and turned it down for sticker at Emory. It came down to the fact that the academic rigor is much more strenuous, and intellectually rewarding at Emory. The caliber of professors and students at these schools were night and day. You need to go where you will get the best education. When you visit, look at how the prof. and students dress, conduct themselves, speak, etc. Wake was very relaxed& welcoming, but that's not necessarily a great thing for a law school. Lots of schools try to sell you their programs based on practice- but really, you can get that at any decent school if you look hard enough. Bottom line, no one knows what jobs will look like in
3 years. Expect the worst and give yourself every advantage you can, right down to your food and housing. Yes, wake was $100k less for me, but that risk wasn't worth it. Finally if
you have any doubts about which school to choose, go to the vault website and spend the
whole $40 or whatever it is. They don't edit out typos or grammar errors, you'd be
surprised how much more coherent and eloquent the Emory students are. Finally, what Prof. Freer said is so true- yesterday there were quite a few people who weren't very happy to admit that Emory had rejected them.
I was looking to go to Texas as well, but like you I love the city of Atlanta. I was just confused because Emory is where I feel I will excel because I am happy there but I got into UT Austin with a similar scholly. I am just hoping education I'm not making a mistake because I know as far as quality of life. I am not.

rando

Silver

Post by rando » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:39 am

As far as education goes, Emory is top-notch. You will not be making a mistake. Regardless of the recent UT writing program controversy, I have no doubt that UT is a fantastic program as well.

As far as statistics go. I have said this before, but take them with a grain of salt. They are self-reported. So Emory is at 84%? That is what 30-35 people unemployed from the class? And a comparable school has 15, 20, 25? These students are on the margins. I don't want to imply that anyone at any school is being misleading in reporting statistics, but it really is a matter of interpretation. For instance, Emory doesn't report LLM's as "academic" employment. We had 5 or 6 last year. 2-3%. Emory doesn't hire unemployed students in admissions or career services like some other schools do. Another couple %. Emory doesn't report unemployed people just filling jobs in retail or serving tables as business/industry. Another few %. And some schools report "unaccounted" for students as a portion of their employed graduating class.

Every school doesn't do all of these things. But the point is... When the difference is a few students on the margins and statistics are malleable, you should go to the school that offers the best fit in the geographic location you are most comfortable.

leraa6587

Bronze

Post by leraa6587 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:16 am

Couldn't agree more with Rando, stats are stats. If 99% of people from a school pass the bar, you still have to study. Stats are great for holistic views of schools and nothing more. I wouldn't pick a school with 86 or even 96 % over Emory. It just doesn't translate to real life.

electricfeel

Bronze

Post by electricfeel » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:18 pm

Last edited by electricfeel on Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rando

Silver

Post by rando » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:24 pm

electricfeel wrote:
rando wrote:As far as education goes, Emory is top-notch. You will not be making a mistake. Regardless of the recent UT writing program controversy, I have no doubt that UT is a fantastic program as well.

As far as statistics go. I have said this before, but take them with a grain of salt. They are self-reported. So Emory is at 84%? That is what 30-35 people unemployed from the class? And a comparable school has 15, 20, 25? These students are on the margins. I don't want to imply that anyone at any school is being misleading in reporting statistics, but it really is a matter of interpretation. For instance, Emory doesn't report LLM's as "academic" employment. We had 5 or 6 last year. 2-3%. Emory doesn't hire unemployed students in admissions or career services like some other schools do. Another couple %. Emory doesn't report unemployed people just filling jobs in retail or serving tables as business/industry. Another few %. And some schools report "unaccounted" for students as a portion of their employed graduating class.

Every school doesn't do all of these things. But the point is... When the difference is a few students on the margins and statistics are malleable, you should go to the school that offers the best fit in the geographic location you are most comfortable.
Great Point. I decided on Emory today. Talked to career services and i was told their employment stats constitute 98% of all graduates reporting. This makes a big difference on the reliability of #'s. UNC for example, only has 68% reporting. It just felt right to me.
There's a selection bias right there. I have no doubt that those reporting were the ones bringing up their median/average salary numbers and law firm hiring statistics. Yet those who are unemployed or in jobs they are unhappy with are much more likely to fail to report.

Congratulations on your decision! Welcome to Emory.

flagirl

New

Post by flagirl » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:23 pm

Emory fell two spots in the rankings :(...but still in the 20-25 range

cendien

Bronze

Post by cendien » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:30 pm

Yep - Emory, BU and Minn all got bumped. I think this was due to the GW jump back to 20 and Illinois' jump to 21. I don't think its a reflection of a drop by any of the three mentioned, just that a few others have moved up. Still, not wonderful news.

ze2151

Bronze

Post by ze2151 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:36 pm

emory is the same school today that it was yesterday. don't worry. we're going to do special things there. no slight on any school ranked more highly, but the only place for me is emory. if usnews thinks 21 schools are better, that is a well-respected opinion that differs from mine.

i think the south will rebound from the economic slowdown... will indiana? not if population attrition continues as it has. losing your tax base isn't a good way to climb out of a recession.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

leraa6587

Bronze

Post by leraa6587 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:03 am

Apartment rundown-

Places I would live:
Calibre Woods ($1039 or $1079 for 2 br, 1br are about $30 less), Highland Square ($1180 for 2br, most luxurious), Archstone Decatur Crossing (further, but newest and nicest, $980= smaller of 2br models, $960= 1br), in that order.

Places I would refuse to live in:
The Cliffton (same layout, more $$ and worse location than Calibre Woods- dif. companies), Post Briarcliff (overpriced, UGs), Gables Montclair (party place- random shoes in hallway and other indicators), The Clarion (poor location, crowded, etc.), and Highland Lakes (terrible construction, lots of UG's)

cendien

Bronze

Post by cendien » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:10 am

leraa6587 wrote:Apartment rundown-

Places I would live:
Calibre Woods ($1039 or $1079 for 2 br, 1br are about $30 less), Highland Square ($1180 for 2br, most luxurious), Archstone Decatur Crossing (further, but newest and nicest, $980= smaller of 2br models, $960= 1br), in that order.

The Cliffton (same layout, more $$ and worse location than Calibre Woods- dif. companies), Post Briarcliff (overpriced, UGs), Gables Montclair (party place- random shoes in hallway and other indicators), The Clarion (poor location, crowded, etc.), and Highland Lakes (terrible construction, lots of UG's)
Have you visited all of these? Just curious. On another note, housing is looking slightly more expensive than I was expecting. Oh well. More loans!

Also, Leraa - A&M huh? Awesome - glad there will be at least one other Texas kid there in the fall!

UFMatt

Bronze

Post by UFMatt » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:30 am

Anyone else looking at the Gables Sheridan? They're expensive, but they seemed really nice.

afinnst

New

Post by afinnst » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:34 am

Just decided on Emory! Pretty psyched about it. Anyone know of the best way to go about finding housing and a roommate so I can save on some debt!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sintona

New

Post by sintona » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:36 am

As far as apartments....

1. Gables Rock Springs
2. Post Briarcliff

DO NOT LIVE AT CAMPUS CROSSINGS.

leraa6587

Bronze

Post by leraa6587 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:08 am

cendien wrote:

Places I would live:

Have you visited all of these? Just curious. On another note, housing is looking slightly more expensive than I was expecting. Oh well. More loans!

Also, Leraa - A&M huh? Awesome - glad there will be at least one other Texas kid there in the fall!

Yes! I have toured all of these over the course of 2 days. I was actually surprised, I know of one other person from A&M that will be going and possibly another girl. There were quite a few kids from UT, guess we're just a bunch of good schools down here in TX :P

andrea0605

New

Post by andrea0605 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:36 am

leraa6587 wrote:
cendien wrote:

Places I would live:

Yes! I have toured all of these over the course of 2 days. I was actually surprised, I know of one other person from A&M that will be going and possibly another girl. There were quite a few kids from UT, guess we're just a bunch of good schools down here in TX :P

Leraa- I think we were in the same small group w/ Freer. I'm the girl who whooped awkwardly during introductions. Glad A&M will have a good showing at Emory this fall. :)

leraa6587

Bronze

Post by leraa6587 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:14 pm

Anybody know what the deal with Dooley is?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

flagirl

New

Post by flagirl » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:16 pm

Are any of you Texas folks planning on moving back to Texas after grad or is everyone pro-Atlanta

leraa6587

Bronze

Post by leraa6587 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:54 pm

flagirl wrote:Are any of you Texas folks planning on moving back to Texas after grad or is everyone pro-Atlanta

Nope, I'm confident I'll land a job in Dallas, but I wouldn't mind staying in Atlanta as a backup.

forty-two

Bronze

Post by forty-two » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:21 pm

leraa6587 wrote:Anybody know what the deal with Dooley is?
I think he's the unofficial mascot of the school or something like that.

emorystud2010

Bronze

Post by emorystud2010 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:27 pm

Last edited by emorystud2010 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”