Emory Class of 2013! Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
mavsman88

New

Re: Emory Class of 2013!

Post by mavsman88 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:59 am

Anyone heard anything about Post Briarcliff

leraa6587

Bronze

Post by leraa6587 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:53 pm

Nothing productive to add but wanted this on my forums list...See you all next Friday/Saturday!!

edit: woww nice spelling error, I need to do this on a computer and not a phone...
Last edited by leraa6587 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

runn3rs

New

Post by runn3rs » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:12 pm

jakamajiga wrote:Anyone going to ASW interested in picking a bar to meet up at Friday or Saturday night? I'm not familiar with anything in the area, but would definitely like to meet up for drinks one of the two nights. I won't be in ATL on time to make the Friday night mixer.
I'm gonna be at the mixer, but I definitely want to meet up with some people more informally afterwards.

CBHoff

New

Post by CBHoff » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:18 pm

runn3rs wrote:
jakamajiga wrote:Anyone going to ASW interested in picking a bar to meet up at Friday or Saturday night? I'm not familiar with anything in the area, but would definitely like to meet up for drinks one of the two nights. I won't be in ATL on time to make the Friday night mixer.
I'm gonna be at the mixer, but I definitely want to meet up with some people more informally afterwards.
I'm getting in late on Friday because I'm flying in after work but it would be nice to go out later for drinks.

forty-two

Bronze

Post by forty-two » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:32 pm

CBHoff wrote:
runn3rs wrote:
I'm getting in late on Friday because I'm flying in after work but it would be nice to go out later for drinks.
+1 on hanging out. I don't know if I'm going to the mixer though (no car, so getting there might be complicated).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rando

Silver

Post by rando » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:43 pm

forty-two wrote:
CBHoff wrote:
runn3rs wrote:
+1 on hanging out. I don't know if I'm going to the mixer though (no car, so getting there might be complicated).
If you guys want any ideas let me know.

philosoraptor

Silver

Post by philosoraptor » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:22 pm

forty-two wrote:
CBHoff wrote:
runn3rs wrote:
Friday night would be good. I'm guessing the Emory Inn is a popular choice (I'll be there Friday night and am planning on checking out the mixer) -- it might be easy to arrange transportation to/from there for those who are staying nearby.

hotlantan

New

Post by hotlantan » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:22 pm

mavsman88 wrote:Anyone heard anything about Post Briarcliff
Post is very popular with 1Ls, and some 2Ls and 3Ls choose to stay out there. There have been some safety issues, I think, but I haven't heard of anything recently.

Also consider Highland Square and Gables Rock Springs (they're both very convenient to campus, especially to the Peavine deck where most 1Ls park).

Gables Montclair and Highland Lake are both nice, but the traffic on North Decatur (around the Clairmont intersection) can be brutal. And the Gables Rock Springs/Highland Square neighborhood is generally nicer--more trees.

People like Gables Sheridan, as well (closer to Post). (By "Post" I mean Post Briarcliff. You'll also hear people refer to both Gables Sheridan and Gables Rock Springs as "Gables," which is confusing to no end.)

I understand that a lot of 1Ls have enjoyed Campus Crossings. I actually think the location is pretty good, in terms of convenience to school/Kroger. Apparently there are so many 1Ls there that you occasionally get a fun party atmosphere, which would be cool. Also supposedly has a shuttle that runs right to school.

In terms of Highlands, the other guy had it right--it's mostly upperclassmen who find random apartments or houses; no complexes in that neighborhood.

Also, as a general matter, all the nicer complexes are unnecessarily expensive. You can spend a whole lot less, if you want to, and often for a place right next door. Random example: --LinkRemoved--.

To the poster who was talking about high rises, that sounds pretty awesome. It's actually not as long a drive as you'd think, and you'd be doing a reverse commute, so traffic would be fine. Also, they can't give those condos away right now, so you'd get a great deal (if you can find financing--banks hate empty high-rises). Three places to check out (off the top of my head): Viewpoint, Spire, and 1010 Midtown.

eldizknee

Bronze

Post by eldizknee » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:37 pm

Last edited by eldizknee on Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hotlantan

New

Post by hotlantan » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:50 pm

eldizknee wrote:Awesome. TYFT BRO
No problem. Feel free let me know if there's anything else you're wondering about. (Looks like there are a few of us in here answering questions, which is legit.)

randtuckman

New

Post by randtuckman » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:28 pm

hotlantan wrote:
To the poster who was talking about high rises, that sounds pretty awesome. It's actually not as long a drive as you'd think, and you'd be doing a reverse commute, so traffic would be fine. Also, they can't give those condos away right now, so you'd get a great deal (if you can find financing--banks hate empty high-rises). Three places to check out (off the top of my head): Viewpoint, Spire, and 1010 Midtown.
Thanks for the tip! I already knew about Spire but I will now look into Viewpoint and 1010 Midtown. I've asked others, but always in PMs I think, would you happen to know which condo associations are strong? We've been told that many of the associations are failing, leading to huge (or frequent) assessments. Pretty much the only thing holding us back.

scBlueDevil

New

Post by scBlueDevil » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:56 pm

hotlantan wrote:
Post is very popular with 1Ls, and some 2Ls and 3Ls choose to stay out there. There have been some safety issues, I think, but I haven't heard of anything recently.

Also consider Highland Square and Gables Rock Springs (they're both very convenient to campus, especially to the Peavine deck where most 1Ls park).

Gables Montclair and Highland Lake are both nice, but the traffic on North Decatur (around the Clairmont intersection) can be brutal. And the Gables Rock Springs/Highland Square neighborhood is generally nicer--more trees.

People like Gables Sheridan, as well (closer to Post). (By "Post" I mean Post Briarcliff. You'll also hear people refer to both Gables Sheridan and Gables Rock Springs as "Gables," which is confusing to no end.)

I understand that a lot of 1Ls have enjoyed Campus Crossings. I actually think the location is pretty good, in terms of convenience to school/Kroger. Apparently there are so many 1Ls there that you occasionally get a fun party atmosphere, which would be cool. Also supposedly has a shuttle that runs right to school.

In terms of Highlands, the other guy had it right--it's mostly upperclassmen who find random apartments or houses; no complexes in that neighborhood.

Also, as a general matter, all the nicer complexes are unnecessarily expensive. You can spend a whole lot less, if you want to, and often for a place right next door. Random example: --LinkRemoved--.
Who has enjoyed Campus Crossings? The problems with that place started the first first week of classes; there was a petition to increase shuttle services because so many students got stuck walking to class... I'm not sure if you're a current student, but have you seen all of the pictures on Facebook of the flooding and water damage? I've never heard any of my classmates speak well of Campus Crossings.

Also, the traffic at the N Decatur / Clairmont intersection isn't that bad, and most of the students who live in Highland Lake and Clairmont Reserve just walk across the street to the Clairmont campus and catch a C or E bus. I live toward the front of Highland Lake, and it takes me about 10 minutes to walk to the bus stop.

As far as rates go, it's all in the timing, and I wouldn't put much stock in advertised prices. The advertised price for my floor plan at Highland Lake is $200 more than I actually pay...

rando

Silver

Post by rando » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:54 pm

hotlantan wrote:
The safety issues were actually pretty severe. There were some break-ins and an attempted rape? Which is really strange because it is a safe area. But as Hotlantan mentioned, nothing has happened in well over a year. Most likely isolated incidents.
Gables rock springs is awesome. Mostly upperclass though. Not to many 1L's.
These are both relatively highly populated by undergrads. I would stay away...
"Gables" generally refers to Gables Sheridan rather than rock springs. But yes, confusing. And people do like it. Though Gables Sheridan is further from campus.
I think the issues are mostly taken care of. But this is a 1L law school haven.
Soooo true. Seriously. do a little reconaissance on craigslist and go visit some places and find something unique. there are some great local neighborhoods and you can get something great for probably half the price as Post et al.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

leavingnc

New

Post by leavingnc » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:16 pm

Is anyone else turning down a higher ranked school (T14) to attend Emory? I'm still struggling with my decision, but I'm hoping coming to ASW next weekend will make up my mind one way or another. Would be interested in hearing opinions.

rando

Silver

Post by rando » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:33 pm

leavingnc wrote:Is anyone else turning down a higher ranked school (T14) to attend Emory? I'm still struggling with my decision, but I'm hoping coming to ASW next weekend will make up my mind one way or another. Would be interested in hearing opinions.
Turned down two higher ranked. One T14. For me, it turned out to be a great decision. FWIW. Pm if you have specific questions

jamaicanjynx

New

Post by jamaicanjynx » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:37 pm

leavingnc wrote:Is anyone else turning down a higher ranked school (T14) to attend Emory? I'm still struggling with my decision, but I'm hoping coming to ASW next weekend will make up my mind one way or another. Would be interested in hearing opinions.

I'm a 1L @ Emory and I turned down higher ranked schools. Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

maximus34998

New

Post by maximus34998 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:40 am

forty-two wrote:
CBHoff wrote:
runn3rs wrote:
I'm in. Let me know when everyone figures out where...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hotlantan

New

Post by hotlantan » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:45 am

randtuckman wrote: Thanks for the tip! I already knew about Spire but I will now look into Viewpoint and 1010 Midtown. I've asked others, but always in PMs I think, would you happen to know which condo associations are strong? We've been told that many of the associations are failing, leading to huge (or frequent) assessments. Pretty much the only thing holding us back.
Don't know anything about the associations, I'm sorry to say.
scBlueDevil wrote: Who has enjoyed Campus Crossings? The problems with that place started the first first week of classes; there was a petition to increase shuttle services because so many students got stuck walking to class... I'm not sure if you're a current student, but have you seen all of the pictures on Facebook of the flooding and water damage? I've never heard any of my classmates speak well of Campus Crossings.
I've heard generally good things from a few different 1Ls, at least since they got the shuttle situation ironed out. Hadn't heard about the water damage. Not saying I'd choose to live there, by any means.
Also, the traffic at the N Decatur / Clairmont intersection isn't that bad, and most of the students who live in Highland Lake and Clairmont Reserve just walk across the street to the Clairmont campus and catch a C or E bus. I live toward the front of Highland Lake, and it takes me about 10 minutes to walk to the bus stop.
Bus is smart. A lot of people at Montclair go up to Kinkos and catch the CCTMA or the P&Rs. Traffic is really, really, horrible though. If you're driving east down North Decatur anytime between 4 and 6, it can take 15 minutes to get past Clairmont.
rando wrote:
"Gables" generally refers to Gables Sheridan rather than rock springs.
And see, with my entire social circle, if we say "Gables" we mean Rock Springs--never Sheridan. QED.
[Gables Montclair and Highland Lake] These are both relatively highly populed by undergrads. I would stay away...
Montclair especially has a reputation for being unbearably loud at night.

ze2151

Bronze

Post by ze2151 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:53 am

i turned down a few t-14s and a t-6 for emory. don't be scared into a school you like less just for the supposed cachet.

hotlantan

New

Post by hotlantan » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:01 am

This is more common than you'd think, especially with the scholarship sizes over the last few years. I don't know of anybody who has regretted taking the money.

hotlantan

New

Post by hotlantan » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:40 am

maximus34998 wrote:It also looks like there is no longer going to be a "Legal Methods" class as part of the first-year curriculum, as well. The website says that Legislation and Regulation will probably our one substantive course that is with our small section. I think the Legal Methods class used to be the small section class.
The small sections were spread across different classes this year; my year, everybody's small section was Torts.

Getting rid of Methods was a terrific move. This is from my syllabus in that class:
The goal of this course is to introduce students to modern American law generally and law’s methodology, specifically. This course will aim to present an overview of the process of law, focusing on four areas: (1) Common law traditions; (2) Statutory interpretation; (3) Jurisprudence; and (4) Law’s relationship to other disciplines. The objectives of this class will be: (1) To learn basic tools of legal reasoning and statutory interpretation; (2) To learn the policies underlying law as a field; (3) To learn to make legal arguments; and (4) To learn to advance the interests of the law, the court, and your clients. Additionally, this course hopes to give you the skills to make law school an intellectually rewarding journey.
Dumb, obviously. That's all stuff you just pick up by taking the rest of the curriculum. The new Leg & Reg course sounds way more relevant; I think Vanderbilt has been doing it for a couple of years (Dean Partlett was Vandy's Dean a few years back, I think--probably before they started the Reg requirement, though).

I don't know how I feel about accelerating Civ Pro, especially if it means they cut content. Granted most schools teach it in a single semester, but pretty much every "extra" topic we covered is actually important and relevant. I'm headed for litigation, though--I'd imagine the transactional kids wouldn't give a shit if Emory dropped Civ Pro altogether. Kind of like how I feel about BA.

As for the elective, sounds awesome, although the upper division non-curve will probably complicate things. There are going to be 240 1Ls in Employee Benefits (A+'s for everybody!!!).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

leavingnc

New

Post by leavingnc » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:14 am

hotlantan wrote:As for the elective, sounds awesome, although the upper division non-curve will probably complicate things. There are going to be 240 1Ls in Employee Benefits (A+'s for everybody!!!).
How does grading work at Emory? There's a different curve for 1Ls than 2/3Ls?

rando

Silver

Post by rando » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:23 am

leavingnc wrote:
hotlantan wrote:As for the elective, sounds awesome, although the upper division non-curve will probably complicate things. There are going to be 240 1Ls in Employee Benefits (A+'s for everybody!!!).
How does grading work at Emory? There's a different curve for 1Ls than 2/3Ls?
Not really. I do believe that the above is an exaggeration. Though Employee Benefits is notorious for an easy curve.

1L classes follow a strict 3.17 average. Profs are really serious about this and it usually comes in between 3.15-19. 2L and 3L year it is relaxed a little bit. For the bigger classes it still usually comes in around 3.25-3.3. But for the smaller 10-20 student seminars etc. it is much more up to professor discretion.

hotlantan

New

Post by hotlantan » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:24 am

rando wrote:1L classes follow a strict 3.17 average. Profs are really serious about this and it usually comes in between 3.15-19. 2L and 3L year it is relaxed a little bit. For the bigger classes it still usually comes in around 3.25-3.3. But for the smaller 10-20 student seminars etc. it is much more up to professor discretion.
Right. The more interesting part, usually, is how the Prof skews the distributions. There are a couple who get to ~3.3 by giving 30 B+'s, but most spread it out more evenly. And yeah, seminars are anybody's guess.

For the most part, it's only adjuncts who are prone to fly off the handle. Like the guy who teaches Benefits, for example. Or the adjuncts teaching Advanced Pre-Trial Lit this term, who decided a week into the semester that they were going to make the course pass/fail.

In any event, the elective is just three credits out of like 32 in 1L, so trying to cherry-pick a class that has a history of 3.35 curves (as opposed to 3.2 curves) wouldn't be worth the trouble. Nobody here is gunning THAT hard.

mavsman88

New

Post by mavsman88 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:27 pm

Why is the facebook group so barren. There are only like 70 members. Other admitted students groups have well have 100. Its odd Emory doesnt really have any type of admitted students site outside of this facebook group.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”