The Ohio State University Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
User avatar
TTH
Posts: 10378
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 1:14 am

Re: The Ohio State University Class of 2013

Postby TTH » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:00 am

North Campus area. It wasn't the part of C-Bus to which we wanted to move, but it's on a quiet dead end street and I'll be able to walk to school. Good enough for first year.

User avatar
robin600
Posts: 1583
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: The Ohio State University Class of 2013

Postby robin600 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:06 pm

izzer wrote:
ticklememauve wrote:
TipTravHoot wrote:Another day of semi-fruitful apartment hunting in Columbus. Make it stop.


Isn't it awful? I think I might give Grove City a shot next time I'm up there looking. My husband's aunt and uncle lived there and really liked it (while one or both of them were attending grad school at OSU).



I'm really scared I'm going to end up having to rent sight unseen.

Maybe you can sublet from law/grad student who's moving out so they can tell you how it is?

izzer
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:53 pm

Re: The Ohio State University Class of 2013

Postby izzer » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:17 pm

robin600 wrote:
izzer wrote:
ticklememauve wrote:
TipTravHoot wrote:Another day of semi-fruitful apartment hunting in Columbus. Make it stop.


Isn't it awful? I think I might give Grove City a shot next time I'm up there looking. My husband's aunt and uncle lived there and really liked it (while one or both of them were attending grad school at OSU).



I'm really scared I'm going to end up having to rent sight unseen.

Maybe you can sublet from law/grad student who's moving out so they can tell you how it is?


I have a bunch of friends in Columbus who have been helping me out, and I relied heavily on apartmentratings.com... so I'm putting myself on the waitlist for Tivoli. It has consistently positive ratings, and I had a very pleasant chat with the manager of the complex today. Another friend of mine gave me a list of townhouses in the Kenny/Henderson area within my price range so I'll be calling around next week and seeing to that.

User avatar
robin600
Posts: 1583
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: The Ohio State University Class of 2013

Postby robin600 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:39 pm

TipTravHoot wrote:North Campus area. It wasn't the part of C-Bus to which we wanted to move, but it's on a quiet dead end street and I'll be able to walk to school. Good enough for first year.

Every time I see your posts your tar disturbs me!

User avatar
TTH
Posts: 10378
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 1:14 am

Re: The Ohio State University Class of 2013

Postby TTH » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:45 pm

robin600 wrote:
TipTravHoot wrote:North Campus area. It wasn't the part of C-Bus to which we wanted to move, but it's on a quiet dead end street and I'll be able to walk to school. Good enough for first year.

Every time I see your posts your tar disturbs me!


I think it's quite amusing...my tar, not your disturbance. :?

izzer
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:53 pm

Re: The Ohio State University Class of 2013

Postby izzer » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:48 pm

TipTravHoot wrote:
robin600 wrote:
TipTravHoot wrote:North Campus area. It wasn't the part of C-Bus to which we wanted to move, but it's on a quiet dead end street and I'll be able to walk to school. Good enough for first year.

Every time I see your posts your tar disturbs me!


I think it's quite amusing...my tar, not your disturbance. :?


That tar cracks me up.

User avatar
robin600
Posts: 1583
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: The Ohio State University Class of 2013

Postby robin600 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:43 pm

TipTravHoot wrote:
robin600 wrote:
TipTravHoot wrote:North Campus area. It wasn't the part of C-Bus to which we wanted to move, but it's on a quiet dead end street and I'll be able to walk to school. Good enough for first year.

Every time I see your posts your tar disturbs me!


I think it's quite amusing...my tar, not your disturbance. :?

No lol it's great! Just the bear's tooth creeps me out, IDK. It's really funny though. Where/how did you find it?

crm
Posts: 282
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:21 pm

Re: The Ohio State University Class of 2013

Postby crm » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:59 pm

Hey I was hoping you guys who live in Columbus could give me advice on places to live. Me and my gf found some nice complexes (we think) in upper arlington, Grandview heights, westerville, worthington, and dublin...what do you guys think of those areas? I asked some other people and they said upper arlington was safest and nicest, but I just wanted a little more input. Also, if we lived outside the 270 for some reason, would it be a bad (>45 min ) commute?

izzer
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:53 pm

Re: The Ohio State University Class of 2013

Postby izzer » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:13 pm

crm wrote:Hey I was hoping you guys who live in Columbus could give me advice on places to live. Me and my gf found some nice complexes (we think) in upper arlington, westerville, worthington, and dublin...what do you guys think of those areas? I asked some other people and they said upper arlington was safest and nicest, but I just wanted a little more input. Also, if we lived outside the 270 for some reason, would it be a bad (>45 min ) commute?



those are all decent areas. if you are up for that kind of commute, then go for it. be careful about living outside of 270. while i'm not really sure as to the normal commute time, it really is as bad as they say in the winter. there usually isn't a lot of snow but the drivers are bad and the city is slow to remove what little snow does come down. in times like that, i like knowing there's a bus that will deliver me to my destination with as few transfers as possible.

User avatar
lstwin
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:23 pm

Re: The Ohio State University Class of 2013

Postby lstwin » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:20 pm

I really like the Dennison Place/Victorian Village area, and I'd love to find a condo/town home in one of those areas to rent for next year. Does anyone know what something like that would rent for? This is my first time visiting Columbus, and I'm really not sure what rental rates are like here. Thanks!

gugi13
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:36 pm

Re: The Ohio State University Class of 2013

Postby gugi13 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:32 pm

The prices obviously can vary, but one big difference is whether you are renting solo or will have a roommate or two. I'm assuming solo, in which case prices can range from $500 to $650 typically. Of course there are the occasional extreme cases, but most prices should hover in between that range.

izzer
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:53 pm

Re: The Ohio State University Class of 2013

Postby izzer » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:34 pm

lstwin wrote:I really like the Dennison Place/Victorian Village area, and I'd love to find a condo/town home in one of those areas to rent for next year. Does anyone know what something like that would rent for? This is my first time visiting Columbus, and I'm really not sure what rental rates are like here. Thanks!



It's become rather astronomical lately. 2 bedroom townhome and you're looking at $900-$1700, and I've seen 1 BR condos around $1200. It's a very popular area, and anything in my price range has been incredibly hard to come by.

gugi13
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:36 pm

Re: The Ohio State University Class of 2013

Postby gugi13 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:38 pm

crm wrote:Hey I was hoping you guys who live in Columbus could give me advice on places to live. Me and my gf found some nice complexes (we think) in upper arlington, Grandview heights, westerville, worthington, and dublin...what do you guys think of those areas? I asked some other people and they said upper arlington was safest and nicest, but I just wanted a little more input. Also, if we lived outside the 270 for some reason, would it be a bad (>45 min ) commute?


Upper Arlington is very close and is a very nice area overall. I do recommend staying within 270 if you'd like a short drive. Worthington has a direct route to campus in the form of 315 and is also a nice area. Some parts of Dublin are also within 270 with close access to 315. Also, Westerville has 71 that goes North and South to Campus and back. Grandview is popular among grad students and is probably the closest, although there are some Upper Arlington complexes also very close.

I personally am debating on living in Victorian Village or Southwest Campus, or Dublin (within 270) with my parents to save money.

gugi13
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:36 pm

Re: The Ohio State University Class of 2013

Postby gugi13 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:39 pm

izzer wrote:
lstwin wrote:I really like the Dennison Place/Victorian Village area, and I'd love to find a condo/town home in one of those areas to rent for next year. Does anyone know what something like that would rent for? This is my first time visiting Columbus, and I'm really not sure what rental rates are like here. Thanks!



It's become rather astronomical lately. 2 bedroom townhome and you're looking at $900-$1700, and I've seen 1 BR condos around $1200. It's a very popular area, and anything in my price range has been incredibly hard to come by.



Apparently I have been looking at different prices :oops:

izzer
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:53 pm

Re: The Ohio State University Class of 2013

Postby izzer » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:46 pm

gugi13 wrote:
izzer wrote:
lstwin wrote:I really like the Dennison Place/Victorian Village area, and I'd love to find a condo/town home in one of those areas to rent for next year. Does anyone know what something like that would rent for? This is my first time visiting Columbus, and I'm really not sure what rental rates are like here. Thanks!



It's become rather astronomical lately. 2 bedroom townhome and you're looking at $900-$1700, and I've seen 1 BR condos around $1200. It's a very popular area, and anything in my price range has been incredibly hard to come by.



Apparently I have been looking at different prices :oops:



It does depend on where you're looking in Vic Village. I have found 2 BR apartments for $600-$800, but this person was asking about condos and townhomes, which are generally insane in that area.

gugi13
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:36 pm

Re: The Ohio State University Class of 2013

Postby gugi13 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:48 pm

my eyes skipped over the townhomes and condos part, it all makes sense now.

User avatar
ticklememauve
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:12 pm

Re: The Ohio State University Class of 2013

Postby ticklememauve » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:47 am

gugi13 wrote:
crm wrote:Hey I was hoping you guys who live in Columbus could give me advice on places to live. Me and my gf found some nice complexes (we think) in upper arlington, Grandview heights, westerville, worthington, and dublin...what do you guys think of those areas? I asked some other people and they said upper arlington was safest and nicest, but I just wanted a little more input. Also, if we lived outside the 270 for some reason, would it be a bad (>45 min ) commute?


Upper Arlington is very close and is a very nice area overall. I do recommend staying within 270 if you'd like a short drive. Worthington has a direct route to campus in the form of 315 and is also a nice area. Some parts of Dublin are also within 270 with close access to 315. Also, Westerville has 71 that goes North and South to Campus and back. Grandview is popular among grad students and is probably the closest, although there are some Upper Arlington complexes also very close.

I personally am debating on living in Victorian Village or Southwest Campus, or Dublin (within 270) with my parents to save money.


Can I live with your parents to save money? :D I'm small, quiet, and very neat.

I'm totally confused about where to live. I hate commuting, but I really want somewhere quiet/safe to live. Oy.

User avatar
Notor
Posts: 391
Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 11:32 am

Re: The Ohio State University Class of 2013

Postby Notor » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:43 pm

You guys sound like geriatrics. Just live within walking distance, the noise/crime is not an issue. The campus area is not West Baltimore, I somehow managed to get good grades and survive for 4 years without being shot or robbed.

Driving 20 minutes each way to and from school, finding parking, and paying all the associated costs in gas, parking, time, and hassle is totally silly, especially when you are from out of town and don't even have the proper perspective to condemn living in the immediate vicinity of the school.

tsub
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:36 am

Re: The Ohio State University Class of 2013

Postby tsub » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:50 pm

Notor wrote:You guys sound like geriatrics. Just live within walking distance, the noise/crime is not an issue. The campus area is not West Baltimore, I somehow managed to get good grades and survive for 4 years without being shot or robbed.

Driving 20 minutes each way to and from school, finding parking, and paying all the associated costs in gas, parking, time, and hassle is totally silly, especially when you are from out of town and don't even have the proper perspective to condemn living in the immediate vicinity of the school.


Hey Notor, are you from Bmore?

Last year I taught in West Bmore, around Gilmor Street. I still live here and teach in East Bmore around Hamilton, but I would be interested to see how you would compare living in Baltimore and Columbus...

User avatar
Notor
Posts: 391
Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 11:32 am

Re: The Ohio State University Class of 2013

Postby Notor » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:02 pm

tsub wrote:
Notor wrote:You guys sound like geriatrics. Just live within walking distance, the noise/crime is not an issue. The campus area is not West Baltimore, I somehow managed to get good grades and survive for 4 years without being shot or robbed.

Driving 20 minutes each way to and from school, finding parking, and paying all the associated costs in gas, parking, time, and hassle is totally silly, especially when you are from out of town and don't even have the proper perspective to condemn living in the immediate vicinity of the school.


Hey Notor, are you from Bmore?

Last year I taught in West Bmore, around Gilmor Street. I still live here and teach in East Bmore around Hamilton, but I would be interested to see how you would compare living in Baltimore and Columbus...

My experience of Baltimore extends to the The Wire.

However, it pains me to see people making the decision to live a 20 minute commute away from the school because of vague "noise/crime" concerns, especially considering these future classmates are unfamiliar with the campus area.

User avatar
TTH
Posts: 10378
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 1:14 am

Re: The Ohio State University Class of 2013

Postby TTH » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:33 pm

tsub wrote:Hey Notor, are you from Bmore?

Last year I taught in West Bmore, around Gilmor Street. I still live here and teach in East Bmore around Hamilton, but I would be interested to see how you would compare living in Baltimore and Columbus...


Looks like someone is getting saddled with the name Prezbo when he gets to Columbus. >.>

Notor wrote:My experience of Baltimore extends to the The Wire.

However, it pains me to see people making the decision to live a 20 minute commute away from the school because of vague "noise/crime" concerns, especially considering these future classmates are unfamiliar with the campus area.


I think the "vague noise/crime concern" may just be a different way of expressing a desire to not live in a campus neighborhood. Regardless of what noise and crime may or may not exist (and it does to some extent around OSU, particularly immediately north and east of campus), campus neighborhoods generally have particular types of restaurants, stores, and bars that may not be the same as those in other urban neighborhoods.

I'll likely be living near campus, but I really wanted a place in VV. Couldn't find the right balance of cost and amenities, though, unfortunately. However, I wasn't worried so much about noise or crime. I'm just a little too old for college bars, and my fiancee and I like the atmosphere of the Short North.

User avatar
ticklememauve
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:12 pm

Re: The Ohio State University Class of 2013

Postby ticklememauve » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:40 pm

Notor wrote:You guys sound like geriatrics. Just live within walking distance, the noise/crime is not an issue. The campus area is not West Baltimore, I somehow managed to get good grades and survive for 4 years without being shot or robbed.

Driving 20 minutes each way to and from school, finding parking, and paying all the associated costs in gas, parking, time, and hassle is totally silly, especially when you are from out of town and don't even have the proper perspective to condemn living in the immediate vicinity of the school.


Having survived ovarian cancer, rape, multiple types of assault and abuse, theft, robbery, you-name-it, I think it is totally fair that I sound like a "geriatric." If my living preferences are not to your liking and you think I'm "silly," please ignore anything I have to say about the matter. Thanks.

tsub
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:36 am

Re: The Ohio State University Class of 2013

Postby tsub » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:57 pm

TipTravHoot wrote:
tsub wrote:Hey Notor, are you from Bmore?

Last year I taught in West Bmore, around Gilmor Street. I still live here and teach in East Bmore around Hamilton, but I would be interested to see how you would compare living in Baltimore and Columbus...


Looks like someone is getting saddled with the name Prezbo when he gets to Columbus. >.>


I'm guessing this is a reference to The Wire. I've never actually seen it, although I want to this summer. I held off because everyone says season 4 (or whatever one is about the education system) is too realistic and just make me really sad :(

But, the school I taught at is on the wire. I think they pick up hookers or something on the corner :shock:

User avatar
baboon309
Posts: 341
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:21 am

Re: The Ohio State University Class of 2013

Postby baboon309 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:03 pm

TipTravHoot wrote:
tsub wrote:Hey Notor, are you from Bmore?

Last year I taught in West Bmore, around Gilmor Street. I still live here and teach in East Bmore around Hamilton, but I would be interested to see how you would compare living in Baltimore and Columbus...


Looks like someone is getting saddled with the name Prezbo when he gets to Columbus. >.>

Notor wrote:My experience of Baltimore extends to the The Wire.

However, it pains me to see people making the decision to live a 20 minute commute away from the school because of vague "noise/crime" concerns, especially considering these future classmates are unfamiliar with the campus area.


I think the "vague noise/crime concern" may just be a different way of expressing a desire to not live in a campus neighborhood. Regardless of what noise and crime may or may not exist (and it does to some extent around OSU, particularly immediately north and east of campus), campus neighborhoods generally have particular types of restaurants, stores, and bars that may not be the same as those in other urban neighborhoods.

I'll likely be living near campus, but I really wanted a place in VV. Couldn't find the right balance of cost and amenities, though, unfortunately. However, I wasn't worried so much about noise or crime. I'm just a little too old for college bars, and my fiancee and I like the atmosphere of the Short North.


I never like that dude lol!

User avatar
TTH
Posts: 10378
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 1:14 am

Re: The Ohio State University Class of 2013

Postby TTH » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:14 pm

Dude, Prez was cool. Just misunderstood.




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests