The Ohio State University Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
jortega

Re: The Ohio State University Class of 2013

Postby jortega » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:37 pm

has anyone looked at or know anyone who knows about The Quarry apartments?

tsub

Postby tsub » Mon May 03, 2010 12:05 pm

TipTravHoot wrote:
tsub wrote:Does the law school offer some kind of roommate search service? I know they had one at Iowa where you could e-mail your info in and the school would publish a list. Also, I noticed some people post things on the facebook group, but I was just wondering if there was a more organized way to go looking for roommates.

They mentioned something about it at the ASW, but I really wasn't paying attention. I'm sure if you call they can plug you into it.

I called in today to ask about it and they said within the next week or two they will be sending out a roommate request form that you can fill out. They will publish the list as a PDF and all the people looking for roommates can access it. So yeah, I guess I should just hold my horses for the time being.

dborch

Postby dborch » Thu May 06, 2010 6:56 pm

TTH wrote:Out of curiosity, when is everyone going to be moving to Columbus? If I end up going there, and I certainly hope to, I'd like to have a barbeque or some such before classes start.

+1
I'll be in Columbus by early July - def. interested in getting together with everyone.

TTH

Postby TTH » Thu May 06, 2010 10:16 pm

RE: The barbecue.

I think what I might aim for will be the weekend before orientation. That way, as many people as possible will have moved to Columbus. I'll keep y'all updated as we get closer to the date. In the meantime, I'll be moving down in a few weeks and look forward to meeting folks.

tsub

Postby tsub » Mon May 10, 2010 11:07 am

Has anybody heard anything about need-based grants yet? I know I submitted the application a long time ago, but I haven't heard a peep since they told me it was received.

TTH

Postby TTH » Mon May 10, 2010 11:37 am

tsub wrote:Has anybody heard anything about need-based grants yet? I know I submitted the application a long time ago, but I haven't heard a peep since they told me it was received.

Someone posted either here or the admissions forum a couple weeks ago that we were going to hear about them in 3-4 weeks, which would put it 1-2 weeks now. With deposits in, there's no reason for them to wait any longer.

ticklememauve

Postby ticklememauve » Mon May 10, 2010 2:13 pm

TTH wrote:
tsub wrote:Has anybody heard anything about need-based grants yet? I know I submitted the application a long time ago, but I haven't heard a peep since they told me it was received.

Someone posted either here or the admissions forum a couple weeks ago that we were going to hear about them in 3-4 weeks, which would put it 1-2 weeks now. With deposits in, there's no reason for them to wait any longer.

Yeah, I talked to them a couple of weeks ago (April 26th). They said in the next couple of weeks (from then) they would be handing out the NBGs. Soooo.... It should be soon. But honestly, I don't trust anything I hear/read/etc. anymore. Sigh.

Whitters

Postby Whitters » Fri May 14, 2010 1:37 am

Sorry if this is a silly question. Is there a second seat deposit for OSU or all we all set? I just don't want to miss it if there is one coming up! :D

TTH

Postby TTH » Fri May 14, 2010 9:58 am

Whitters wrote:Sorry if this is a silly question. Is there a second seat deposit for OSU or all we all set? I just don't want to miss it if there is one coming up! :D

Just the one. :)

So, are you set on tOSU?

Whitters

Postby Whitters » Fri May 14, 2010 8:06 pm

I'm still sitting on a few waitlists, but YES! So, so excited to be a Buckeye! :D

bleu_dog

Postby bleu_dog » Mon May 17, 2010 10:52 am

Folks...need help. I inadvertently erased the email sent out be Moritz this morning regarding the law school's time-line. Would appreciate it if someone would post it on this forum. Thanks!

tsub

Postby tsub » Mon May 17, 2010 10:55 am

Dear tsub:

With this email we hope to give you a clear picture of what to expect and when. Additionally, we will be creating an Admitted Students page where you can access all communications and information sent to you over the summer.

Below is a timeline for incoming 1L students:

-Anytime - Join the Class of 2013 Facebook Group: http://www.facebook.com/osumoritzlaw#/g ... 7452456496

-May through July - Verification of Enrollment: OSU does not require a second deposit to secure your seat in the fall. Please realize that it is important, for a number of reasons, for all law schools to have an accurate count of the number of students matriculating in the fall. Every law school has a waitlist. If, as an admitted applicant, you are holding seats at more than one law school, you are depriving another applicant of an opportunity for admission. Alternatively, a deposit paid applicant may decide at some point to pursue other employment, service or educational opportunities. Please inform us as soon as possible if you will not be joining OSU in the fall.

We do require that deposit paid applicants take several steps over the course of the summer to confirm their intent to enroll. Beginning May 15th, LSAC will notify law schools which individuals have deposits at more than one institution. Individuals with multiple deposits will be contacted via email or telephone to determine whether they will enroll at OSU or have decided to attend elsewhere. If the deposit paid applicant has decided to attend OSU, they should notify all other schools at which they have placed a seat deposit that they will not be attending. If the student has chosen not to attend OSU, the student is asked to notify us and to withdraw their application. We recognize that there may be individual cases in which an applicant has not yet been able to finalize their plans; if one believes that such a situation exists, please contact our office to discuss the situation. If a deposit paid applicant fails to respond to the request for confirmation, he or she risks losing their seat in the class.

In July, all students will be asked to verify, via a survey form, their intent to matriculate in the fall. Students confirming their intent to enroll by July 31st will be placed in a section. Once placed in a section, the student will be able to determine their class schedule, their faculty, and the assigned textbooks.

-May - Username and Email Activation: Please follow this link to activate your OSU username and webmail: https://acctmgt.service.ohio-state.edu/ ... B1EntryAdd. It is very important to activate your OSU username: it will be the login for the upcoming 1L page, email, financial aid, etc. Please note that if you have just paid your deposit within the last 7 days, you may need to wait 5 business days (at the most) before you can activate your OSU username.

-May - Housing Information: This information will be sent by email by May 31st. Included will be a booklet of information about housing in the Columbus area, as well as a roommate matching form.

-June - Class of 2013 Student Page: Each year we create a class page on our website for incoming 1Ls. This page contains all the information and resources we mail out over the summer. You will be emailed with the link when it is available.

-June - Student Resource Packet (Getting Started): By the second week of June, you will receive a packet that will contain information about computing, a suggested reading list, orientation information, academic accommodation, and other items of note.

-June/July - Football Ticket Information: More information can be found here: http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/. Please direct all questions regarding tickets to (614)292-2624.

-June/July - Student Health Insurance: To get a general sense of coverage and costs, you can visit this page: http://shi.osu.edu/. Questions about health coverage should be directed to (614)688-7979.

- June/July - Parking Passes: There are many pass options available, though most law students will purchase a "C" pass as this will allow you to park in the lots adjacent to the law school. Please visit this website for additional information: http://tp.osu.edu/.

-July - Mentoring and More @ Moritz Program Materials: In July (at the latest) you will be sent a form to fill out if you are interested in our mentoring program. You can find more information here: http://moritzlaw.osu.edu/programs/mentoring/index.php

-***July 15 - Final and Official Transcript Due: The Office of Professional Admissions requires a transcript on file for all admitted students before they matriculate. If you have not already sent a final and official (degree conferred) transcript to OSU, you must do so by July 15th. OSU students/graduates are exempt from this requirement, as a complimentary copy will be provided.

This transcript must be sent directly from the registrar of your undergraduate institution to:
The Ohio State University
P.O. Box 182003
Columbus, Ohio 43218-2003.

The transcripts received with your LSDAS reports are not sufficient because they are copies and our office must have originals. (Beginning May 24th, you will receive an email confirmation once your transcript has been processed and returned to our office. Please note this may take up to 2 weeks)

-July 15 - Setting-Up Direct Deposit: Loan and scholarship money exceeding tuition costs will be distributed to students using Direct Deposit. Therefore, it is important for newly enrolled students to sign-up for this service at http://www.buckeyelink.osu.edu. Attempts to sign-up maybe unsuccessful until after July 15th, as it will not be ready until then. Current OSU students that have previously signed-up for Direct Deposit will not need to sign-up again. Direct Deposit enrollment for Summer 2009 and future quarters will be done by accessing the "Student Center" hyperlink in the "SIS Student Center" section at the Students' Buckeye Link site. Under the "Finances" section of your "Student Center" page in SIS, you will find the "Account Refund" hyperlink. This link will redirect you to Sallie Mae Business Solutions' website, where you can enter your deposit information.

-July 15 - Accept Loans: If you are using Stafford Loans to assist in financing your tuition, you will need to accept them from your SIS Student Center (http://www.buckeyelink.osu.edu) by July 15. After logging in with your OSU username, you can find your award summary here: Student Center > View Financial Aid > 2011 > Award Summary. If you are applying for a GPlus loan, you should click the GPlus link on the Award Summary page and return the completed application to: lawfinaid@osu.edu or fax it to (614) 292-1492.

-August - Class Schedule: You will receive your class schedule and section assignments at the beginning of August. Please disregard any emails you may receive from the main OSU University Registrar regarding scheduling for classes as this will be done for you.

-August 16 & 17 - Orientation (attendance is mandatory)

-August 19 - First Day of Classes

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact our office at lawadmit@osu.edu or (614)292-8810.

Sincerely,
Kathy N. Northern
Associate Dean for Admissions
and Associate Professor of Law

bleu_dog

Postby bleu_dog » Mon May 17, 2010 11:04 am

Thanks, tsub.

sarlis

Postby sarlis » Mon May 17, 2010 11:23 am

bleu_dog wrote:Folks...need help. I inadvertently erased the email sent out be Moritz this morning regarding the law school's time-line. Would appreciate it if someone would post it on this forum. Thanks!

So you're officially coming to tOSU?!

mommamia

Postby mommamia » Mon May 17, 2010 1:30 pm

Anyone moving to University Village? Went to Columbus on Saturday- very difficult to find something in a one bedroom with an August move in. At UV, they said that another law student had stopped by earlier in the morning.

ticklememauve

Postby ticklememauve » Mon May 17, 2010 2:04 pm

It's funny that the e-mail says May 15th is when the LSAC starts notifying schools of people who are double(+) committed. I thought the date for that was June 15th. Hmm....

Also, no word on NBGs? Oy. I think I'll be drafting a deferral request soon. Ay yi yi yi yi.

sarlis

Postby sarlis » Wed May 19, 2010 11:16 am

TTH wrote:RE: The barbecue.

I think what I might aim for will be the weekend before orientation. That way, as many people as possible will have moved to Columbus. I'll keep y'all updated as we get closer to the date. In the meantime, I'll be moving down in a few weeks and look forward to meeting folks.

tth, when are you moving down to columbus, before school ends?

ticklememauve

Postby ticklememauve » Wed May 19, 2010 11:35 am

ticklememauve wrote:It's funny that the e-mail says May 15th is when the LSAC starts notifying schools of people who are double(+) committed. I thought the date for that was June 15th. Hmm....

Also, no word on NBGs? Oy. I think I'll be drafting a deferral request soon. Ay yi yi yi yi.

Nope, they were right about May 15th. Oy gevalt.

TTH

Postby TTH » Sat May 22, 2010 4:09 pm

sarlis wrote:

I'm now in Columbus, subletting a place until I make a final decision about law school. If I end up staying with OSU, I'm going to sign a full-year lease here. I've been moving for the past few days and it SUCKS.

sarlis

Postby sarlis » Sat May 22, 2010 4:54 pm

TTH wrote:
sarlis wrote:

I'm now in Columbus, subletting a place until I make a final decision about law school. If I end up staying with OSU, I'm going to sign a full-year lease here. I've been moving for the past few days and it SUCKS.

haha yeah i bet it does. where are you deciding between?

TTH

Postby TTH » Sat May 22, 2010 5:29 pm

OSU and UGA. I thought I was all set, but UGA came in with a nice scholly offer which makes it 12k cheaper over three years than OSU. I'm hoping OSU will close that gap a bit.

TTH

Postby TTH » Fri May 28, 2010 11:15 am

If anyone does not plan on using their football ticket this year, give me a shout. I'd like to work something out with you. Thanks!

lstwin

Postby lstwin » Fri May 28, 2010 12:01 pm

TTH wrote:If anyone does not plan on using their football ticket this year, give me a shout. I'd like to work something out with you. Thanks!

I'm definitely not going to use mine.

Notor

Postby Notor » Fri May 28, 2010 4:35 pm

TTH wrote:OSU and UGA. I thought I was all set, but UGA came in with a nice scholly offer which makes it 12k cheaper over three years than OSU. I'm hoping OSU will close that gap a bit.

Is $4k a year really enough to sway your decision on where to attend law school? UGA and tOSU offer totally different geographic opportunities for employment that would nullify the small scholarship boost that you'd get at UGA if you'd prefer to stay in Ohio or the Midwest.

TTH

Postby TTH » Sun May 30, 2010 1:14 pm

Notor wrote:
TTH wrote:OSU and UGA. I thought I was all set, but UGA came in with a nice scholly offer which makes it 12k cheaper over three years than OSU. I'm hoping OSU will close that gap a bit.

Is $4k a year really enough to sway your decision on where to attend law school? UGA and tOSU offer totally different geographic opportunities for employment that would nullify the small scholarship boost that you'd get at UGA if you'd prefer to stay in Ohio or the Midwest.

It's official for me now. UGA's second seat deposit is due in a couple days, and I don't plan on paying it. A Buckeye I shall be.

Now that that's settled, does anyone want to form a group for football seating? I'm going to be forming one with one other person with whom I'm buying a ticket, but if other incoming 1Ls want to seat near other miserable, pale 1Ls, we can facilitate that.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”