The Ohio State University Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
baboon309

Bronze

Re: The Ohio State University Class of 2013

Post by baboon309 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:28 pm

I just got my lease from South Campus Gateway. Darn......... there are so many hidden fees there. The parking space is expensive too.... Is it easy to find offstreet parking there?

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:13 pm

baboon309 wrote:I just got my lease from South Campus Gateway. Darn......... there are so many hidden fees there. The parking space is expensive too.... Is it easy to find offstreet parking there?
Not so much. :/

baboon309

Bronze

Post by baboon309 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:27 pm

Is $55/month a reasonable parking fee ?

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:09 pm

baboon309 wrote:Is $55/month a reasonable parking fee ?
Someone who lives in the area currently would be better able to tell you, but $55/month certainly seems reasonable to me for that part of town.

Notor

Bronze

Post by Notor » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:48 pm

Been telling you guys for months not to rent from the Gateway...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:31 pm

Notor wrote:Been telling you guys for months not to rent from the Gateway...
Ditto. I'm finding tons of great apt listings on craigslist and padmapper.com btw

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:47 am

Just got off the phone w/ the law school fin aid guy. I had been tagged for verification and wasn't sure why all my loan stuff hadn't come back. He got it all taken care of. Nice guy.

(PS...and if he happens to be trolling TLS, by all means feel free to add a grant to my account. :D)

flying_squirrel

New

Post by flying_squirrel » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:40 pm

TipTravHoot wrote:
Someone who lives in the area currently would be better able to tell you, but $55/month certainly seems reasonable to me for that part of town.
That's prob. about average. Several of my friends live in the campus area say it is easy for them to find street parking spaces, which only costs like $25 for an entire year after you register with the city. However, down by the gateway, almost everything is monitored, unless you go a little ways down 11th. I actually got a $50 parking ticket for accidentally parking in a "no stop" zone on 11th. You'll have to watch out for those cause they are everywhere. Also, don't even try to leave during an OSU football game, there seems to be a 90% chance that no matter where you park on gamedays, you will be towed unless you paid an additional fee to park there.r

As for campus parking rates. It is roughly $80 for the year to park on West Campus and take a free OSU CAB bus ( http://tp.osu.edu/cabs/ ) to school. $250 for a pass to park on a surface lot around campus (not too many of these) & $600 to park in a parking garage for the year. Another great thing is w/ the OSU I.D., you can take a city bus anywhere around C-bus for free (great for drunken trips downtown).

Hope this gives you some insight. Until you get some advice about parking on the streets around campus, I would highly advise against it because of the million dirty tricks they play to confuse you & then give you a ticket or tow your car.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:11 pm

Found an apt today on my first hunting expedition. Hot damn!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ticklememauve

Bronze

Post by ticklememauve » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:43 pm

TipTravHoot wrote:Found an apt today on my first hunting expedition. Hot damn!
Really? What neighborhood? I am looking forward to apartment hunting myself next weekend.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:48 am

ticklememauve wrote:
Really? What neighborhood? I am looking forward to apartment hunting myself next weekend.
North Campus kinda. We're not 100% sure we're going to take it though as there are other neighborhoods we're attached to.

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:32 pm

TipTravHoot wrote:
ticklememauve wrote:
North Campus kinda. We're not 100% sure we're going to take it though as there are other neighborhoods we're attached to.
We?
At my apt. which is two blocks from the law school on 9th, you can pay 250$ for the year to park there even if you aren't a resident. I'm renting from university apartments.

PS- I'm posting this number here because i will forget where I put it if I don't 1127405719

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:23 am

robin600 wrote:
TipTravHoot wrote:
ticklememauve wrote:
We?

My fiancee and I.

Decided not to go with that apartment. The guy took three days to return a phone call about dropping off the application. I figure if it takes that long to hear back from him about an application, it's going to take way too long for a maintenance call. The search continues!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dhatfie1

Bronze

Post by dhatfie1 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:12 pm

Posted this on the other forum but thought I'd post it here as well!

So, as it stands, I'm about 99% sure I will be at OSU in the fall. I'm looking for a roommate for south campus gateway apartments or a house/apartment within walking distance to the law school. Dudes preferred if it's just a two room apartment, otherwise I don't really care because frankly, some girls are just cool as shit lol. If you like sports, the occasional xbox, music, and/or the occasional beer, we'll get along just fine. I'm not a picky guy and I'm very respectful of property and the need for study time etc. Plus I LOVE to cook. If anybody is the least bit interested or has an opening and wants any additional info, PM me!

hoosierlaw

New

Post by hoosierlaw » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:30 pm

Im officially going to OSU! I was at the ASD last week if anyone else was there too. The gateway appt's seem really nice but incredibly expensive. Coming from IU to OSU is going to be a major adjustment, more than just the different color of red. Seems like the area east of High St. is kind of rough but I'd love to live within walking distance of the school my first year.

My girlfriend of five years will be moving in with me sometime after first semester so I'm looking for a 1BR, or someone that would be cool with having her around for the last few months of school (unlikely). As an aside, she'll be looking for work as an elementary teacher and we're both easy going people.

So OSU people, is there anyone that can give me some good advice about where to live so that I can walk to Moritz, pay approximately $600-700 a month in rent/utl (or less of course), and feel safe?

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:41 pm

hoosierlaw wrote:Im officially going to OSU! I was at the ASD last week if anyone else was there too. The gateway appt's seem really nice but incredibly expensive. Coming from IU to OSU is going to be a major adjustment, more than just the different color of red. Seems like the area east of High St. is kind of rough but I'd love to live within walking distance of the school my first year.

My girlfriend of five years will be moving in with me sometime after first semester so I'm looking for a 1BR, or someone that would be cool with having her around for the last few months of school (unlikely). As an aside, she'll be looking for work as an elementary teacher and we're both easy going people.

So OSU people, is there anyone that can give me some good advice about where to live so that I can walk to Moritz, pay approximately $600-700 a month in rent/utl (or less of course), and feel safe?
We are in similar nautical vessels with regards to housing.

What you need to feel safe and what you consider walkable may both vary from my conditions in those categories, but I really like the area south of campus. The further south you go, the nicer (and more expensive) the neighborhood becomes. Rents are relatively cheap in the area around the med school, it feels safe to me, and is walkable to Moritz. Here are some websites I'm using to search for apts right now:

padmapper.com
columbus.craigslist.org
ohiostaterentals.com (North Steppe Realty)
ohiostateapts.com (University Apartments)

UA seems to have a few nice properties around the med school, but I happen to be looking a little further south than what they seem to offer.

izzer

New

Post by izzer » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:15 pm

TipTravHoot wrote:
hoosierlaw wrote:Im officially going to OSU! I was at the ASD last week if anyone else was there too. The gateway appt's seem really nice but incredibly expensive. Coming from IU to OSU is going to be a major adjustment, more than just the different color of red. Seems like the area east of High St. is kind of rough but I'd love to live within walking distance of the school my first year.

What you need to feel safe and what you consider walkable may both vary from my conditions in those categories, but I really like the area south of campus. The further south you go, the nicer (and more expensive) the neighborhood becomes. Rents are relatively cheap in the area around the med school, it feels safe to me, and is walkable to Moritz. Here are some websites I'm using to search for apts right now:

padmapper.com
columbus.craigslist.org

UA seems to have a few nice properties around the med school, but I happen to be looking a little further south than what they seem to offer.
Have you had any experience with North Steppe?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:18 pm

izzer wrote:
TipTravHoot wrote:

padmapper.com
columbus.craigslist.org

Nope. I wasn't really attracted to any of the apartments on their website, so I never had reason to deal further with them.

payton34

New

Post by payton34 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:37 am

I got my apartment next year from Buckeye Real Estate.. They're kind of a pain to deal with, since it's all run by students and they manage a ridiculous amount of apartments around campus. BUT they do have two apartment buildings that are 600 feet or something away from the law school, and have special leases that run on the law school schedule rather than the university's.. Probably worth giving them a call?

BuckNuts

New

Post by BuckNuts » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:20 pm

izzer wrote:
TipTravHoot wrote:

padmapper.com
columbus.craigslist.org

I dealt with North Steppe as an undergrad., around 2003-2004. They were awful. Campus area has plenty of other, better property managers. Kohr Royer Griffith was very fair when I leased from them.

dhatfie1

Bronze

Post by dhatfie1 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:54 pm

baboon309 wrote:I just got my lease from South Campus Gateway. Darn......... there are so many hidden fees there. The parking space is expensive too.... Is it easy to find offstreet parking there?
What do you mean, hidden fees..besides the $55 parking? Also, did you send a $25 check with both your lease application and your guarantor application? Thanks!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

baboon309

Bronze

Post by baboon309 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:37 am

dhatfie1 wrote:
What do you mean, hidden fees..besides the $55 parking? Also, did you send a $25 check with both your lease application and your guarantor application? Thanks!
\

I got my studio apt for $ 850. But I will be paying close to $1000 each month( $850+$55(Parking)+$21($250/12$ move in fee)+$12(Renter's Insurance)+$50-$60(utilities)+trash pickup fee(I dont know how much))

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:59 pm

I could not be more sick of apartment hunting in Columbus. Grrr...

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:07 pm

Did anyone else receive the handbook today via snail mail? The cover letter said there would be a one-page insert in the handbook regarding a change in the grading policy for first-year students, but my handbook had no such insert.

gugi13

New

Post by gugi13 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:14 pm

I too had no insert in my handbook.

also as to the the apartment searching, I've had bad experiences with North Steppe but they weren't the absolute worst, which I think has to go to University Manors. At the same time, University Manors has a lot of south campus property near the law school so to some it might be worth dealing with them. One of their managers could be insane, but maybe that was just my impression.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”