The Ohio State University Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
njc08

New

Re: The Ohio State University Class of 2013

Post by njc08 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:40 pm

Thanks a lot TTH, izzer and Notor :D
What about this one on 58 E. 11th Ave? They have rooms open too, nearer to campus, but still east of high st.

Notor

Bronze

Post by Notor » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:46 pm

njc08 wrote:Thanks a lot TTH, izzer and Notor :D
What about this one on 58 E. 11th Ave? They have rooms open too, nearer to campus, but still east of high st.
Better location, really close to the law school and adjacent to a bunch of bars/restaurants and whatnot. Who is the rental agency?

Also make sure that your lease starts in August. A lot of companies close to campus have September-September leases because the university is still on quarters for undergrads until 2012.

njc08

New

Post by njc08 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:56 pm

the rental company is Kohr Royer Griffith, the lease can be started early August....does the rental company have good reputation? I'll hate to deal with bad landlords...my first year undergrad landlord was horrible... :cry:

Notor

Bronze

Post by Notor » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:01 am

njc08 wrote:the rental company is Kohr Royer Griffith, the lease can be started early August....does the rental company have good reputation? I'll hate to deal with bad landlords...my first year undergrad landlord was horrible... :cry:
Googled them, they seem like a really large, corporate-style management agency. No idea about them, they don't seem to have a huge presence in the campus area.

njc08

New

Post by njc08 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:15 pm

Thanks a lot Notor..I googled the agency but the reviews were extreme on both sides..
Anyone familiar with the property? or mind to stop by and look at the property? :D I'm just worried that if it's a really old property then irresponsive management agency will really be a big problem...
Thanks a lot guys!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:29 am

So, did anyone ever get an NBG?

ChinaMex

New

Post by ChinaMex » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:14 pm

TTH wrote:So, did anyone ever get an NBG?
I was wondering this too since we have to accept/deny our loans in a couple of weeks. I'm going to email Marc Nawrocki today. Anyone else contact Marc?

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:07 pm

ChinaMex wrote:
I was wondering this too since we have to accept/deny our loans in a couple of weeks. I'm going to email Marc Nawrocki today. Anyone else contact Marc?
I did a couple weeks ago. He basically said there wasn't going to be any formal communication one way or the other about NBGs. If it showed up on your financial aid report, you got one. The pain of it is that I don't know when to stop looking.

lstwin

New

Post by lstwin » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:52 pm

Anyone have any insight into living in German Village? I'm apartment hunting in Columbus this weekend, and I was going to expand my search area a bit to include German Village/Schumacher Place, but I'm worried that I'll be too far away from everything. Does anyone know anyone that has lived in the German Village area? If so, did they like it? Or did they feel like they were too removed from everything around the campus (i.e. the Short North, etc)?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:07 am

lstwin wrote:Anyone have any insight into living in German Village? I'm apartment hunting in Columbus this weekend, and I was going to expand my search area a bit to include German Village/Schumacher Place, but I'm worried that I'll be too far away from everything. Does anyone know anyone that has lived in the German Village area? If so, did they like it? Or did they feel like they were too removed from everything around the campus (i.e. the Short North, etc)?
Parts of German Village is lovely, and if you're near High Street, it's a quick bus ride (pending traffic) to Short North, campus, etc. If you can, check out the addresses first before you sign any leases since some parts of German Village are definitely not lovely (or rather, aren't really German Village but get advertised as such).

If you're still out west, I'd be happy to check out a couple places for you.

tsbotros

New

Post by tsbotros » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:30 pm

Does anyone recommend getting a meal plan? What are you guys going to do in terms of food? Also I haven't signed a lease yet. Is it tough to find housing in Columbus?

lstwin

New

Post by lstwin » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:04 pm

TTH wrote: Parts of German Village is lovely, and if you're near High Street, it's a quick bus ride (pending traffic) to Short North, campus, etc. If you can, check out the addresses first before you sign any leases since some parts of German Village are definitely not lovely (or rather, aren't really German Village but get advertised as such).

If you're still out west, I'd be happy to check out a couple places for you.
Thanks! I'm actually in Columbus this weekend to find a place, and I'm not leaving without one (or at least, I hope not). :wink:

Notor

Bronze

Post by Notor » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:36 pm

tsbotros wrote:Does anyone recommend getting a meal plan? What are you guys going to do in terms of food? Also I haven't signed a lease yet. Is it tough to find housing in Columbus?
I had a meal plan freshman year. If you are going to live on/really close to campus, it's a pretty good system. There are numerous and varied campus dining options, and some are quite good. The new Union that just opened up also added a ton of new places to eat. If you aren't big on groceries, are close to campus, and have the lump sum of cash necessary to get one, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

smithsra

New

Post by smithsra » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:27 pm

njc08 wrote:Thanks a lot Notor..I googled the agency but the reviews were extreme on both sides..
Anyone familiar with the property? or mind to stop by and look at the property? :D I'm just worried that if it's a really old property then irresponsive management agency will really be a big problem...
Thanks a lot guys!
I actually just graduated from OSU undergrad and I'll be attending law school here as well, and I currently rent an apartment from KRG... They are pretty good with maintenance (aside from a not having heat during the coldest week of February due to a mystery problem). The only negative I really have about them is that they aren't really that friendly, and they tend to just show up at my house doing loud work early in the morning, and without any notice.

Either way most campus land lords are the same... they're used to catering to messy and destructive college students, so perhaps being law students they'll be a little easier on us.

Whitters

Bronze

Post by Whitters » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:17 am

I'm still apartment hunting. For the people who know the area well, would it be too loud at an apartment in the middle of the Short North? Thanks.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:55 am

Whitters wrote:I'm still apartment hunting. For the people who know the area well, would it be too loud at an apartment in the middle of the Short North? Thanks.
It depends on what you mean by "middle of the Short North." Do you mean on High St? If so, what cross street?

Whitters

Bronze

Post by Whitters » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:52 am

Yeah, High St. Somewhere between the 1100-600 block? Ugh, I might just end up in the Gateway. At least its close.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:06 am

Whitters wrote:Yeah, High St. Somewhere between the 1100-600 block? Ugh, I might just end up in the Gateway. At least its close.
I'd be nervous about living anywhere on High Street, including the Gateway (mainly because I hate how aggressively they've advertised the Gateway to us and how expensive it is). How close do you want to be to the law school?

Whitters

Bronze

Post by Whitters » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:17 am

Nice 'tar!! haha

I want to be within walking distance or a short bus ride. I don't like the idea of walking too far alone at night. ( I have a feeling I'm gonna be at the law school many long nights! :D )

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:37 am

Whitters wrote:Nice 'tar!! haha

I want to be within walking distance or a short bus ride. I don't like the idea of walking too far alone at night. ( I have a feeling I'm gonna be at the law school many long nights! :D )
Yeah, I opted for walking distance because I found a nice place. Anything off of High Street's going to be a short bus ride. If you don't mind walking by some trashy undergraduate housing on the way to school, there are some quiet-ish places for cheap NE of campus (think around Summit or N 4th above Lane).

Moritz2013

New

Post by Moritz2013 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:59 am

I'm so excited to be starting this fall!

I will be living off of McMillen and Hunter, just a few minutes from the law school..

Does anyone like to work out and need a work out buddy?

P.S.: I'll be going to the BBQ, I'm Sal Shah on Facebook, you can add me!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lstwin

New

Post by lstwin » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:08 pm

I was looking at cable/internet options (which is new for me - in Arizona we only have one choice for cable), and it looks like Wow is cheaper than Time Warner. Does anyone have Wow now? If so, are you happy with it? Thanks!

smithsra

New

Post by smithsra » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:54 pm

I'll be living on 9th and Hunter. Kind of crappy undergrad housing but it's a short walk and not terribly expensive!

also - I live in C-bus already so if anyones around I'd be down to grab a drink or some coffee

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pro ... 1410480003 <-- that's a link to my facebook, hopefully it will work.

smithsra

New

Post by smithsra » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:00 pm

lstwin wrote:I was looking at cable/internet options (which is new for me - in Arizona we only have one choice for cable), and it looks like Wow is cheaper than Time Warner. Does anyone have Wow now? If so, are you happy with it? Thanks!
I have WOW. It's not bad. Internet is fast, and the cable rarely goes out. They also respond to any issues pretty quickly. I had Time Warner last year, but I got a better deal at WOW so I switched.

ticklememauve

Bronze

Post by ticklememauve » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:35 pm

TTH wrote:
ChinaMex wrote:
I did a couple weeks ago. He basically said there wasn't going to be any formal communication one way or the other about NBGs. If it showed up on your financial aid report, you got one. The pain of it is that I don't know when to stop looking.
This is quite a delayed response but I got an e-mail a month ago telling me I got a NBG. It was only a tiny drop in a bucket in comparison to the cost of tuition, etc. Funny thing is it came several weeks after I requested a deferral. Go figure. Anyway, I did get a direct e-mail about it. Maybe they're still giving them out since I obviously turned mine down.

Good luck to all the soon-to-be-minted 1Ls! :)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”