Brooklyn 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
loklinspirit126

New

Re: Brooklyn 2013

Post by loklinspirit126 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:40 am

Clair1331 wrote:
fjk88 wrote:
loklinspirit126 wrote:i feel wierd that i have 3, instead of 2, 1hr50min torts class :?: :roll: ....hope the friday one is a typo
check the times of those classes..I have three 1hr25min civ pro classes instead of 2 1hr50min
That's my schedule too. Having this schedule would still mean 255mins (85mins/class*3) of civ pro instead of 220 (110mins/class*2). An extra half hour of civ pro fun?

i believe we should have:

criminal: 3 credits: Two*1hr 15min = 2hr30min
civil: 5 credits: Three*1hr 25min = 4hr 15min
torts: 4 credits: Two*1hr 50min = 3hr 40min
writing:2 credits:0ne*1hr50min = 1hr5 0min

right? i just feel wierd that i have three*1hr 50min = 5hr 30min of torts according to the online calendar....

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:20 am

loklinspirit126 wrote:
Clair1331 wrote:
fjk88 wrote:
loklinspirit126 wrote:i feel wierd that i have 3, instead of 2, 1hr50min torts class :?: :roll: ....hope the friday one is a typo
check the times of those classes..I have three 1hr25min civ pro classes instead of 2 1hr50min
That's my schedule too. Having this schedule would still mean 255mins (85mins/class*3) of civ pro instead of 220 (110mins/class*2). An extra half hour of civ pro fun?

i believe we should have:

criminal: 3 credits: Two*1hr 15min = 2hr30min
civil: 5 credits: Three*1hr 25min = 4hr 15min
torts: 4 credits: Two*1hr 50min = 3hr 40min
writing:2 credits:0ne*1hr50min = 1hr5 0min

right? i just feel wierd that i have three*1hr 50min = 5hr 30min of torts according to the online calendar....

i have civ pro 3 times a week at 1 hr 50 min each..which is like 5.5 hours

everything else is two times a week, 1 hr 50 minutes each

mcsean18

New

Post by mcsean18 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:46 am

Well my official schedule came in the mail...I would check that and verify it is accurate... I am in group one section D1 for most of my classes..

bklyngreenlp

New

Post by bklyngreenlp » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:55 am

I received my orientation packet in the mail yesterday, too. It had my schedule, group assignment, calendar and a checklist in the folder. The cover letter stated we were split into 26 groups and within those, we are further divided into sections designated by a letter. My classes are spread across D1, D2 and D3, though.

I also have civ pro three times per week.

A few of my friends attending other law schools have already received their required readings for the first official day of classes. I hope we'll be able to see those assignments in bls connect in the near future.
Last edited by bklyngreenlp on Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clair1331

New

Post by Clair1331 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:54 pm

bklyngreenlp wrote:I received my orientation packet in the mail yesterday, too. It had my schedule, group assignment, calendar and a checklist in the folder. I'm in group three. The cover letter stated we were split into 26 groups and within those, we are further divided into sections designated by a letter. My classes are spread across D1, D2 and D3, though.

I also have civ pro three times per week.

A few of my friends attending other law schools have already received their required readings for the first official day of classes. I hope we'll be able to see those assignments in bls connect in the near future.
If you go to the first week of classes on the BLS Connect calendar, your classes should show up underneath. If you click on the link, any assignments should show under Announcements or Shared Documents.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sophistry

Bronze

Post by sophistry » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:27 pm

Anyone else studying torts with Peter Pan's son?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Korsmo

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:21 am

sophistry wrote:Anyone else studying torts with Peter Pan's son?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Korsmo

torts: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Twerski

glavine

New

Post by glavine » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:51 am

has anyone been successful in activating your email and setting up an appointment with IT? the link on the new student page doesn't work for me

teardrops11

New

Post by teardrops11 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:03 pm

glavine wrote:has anyone been successful in activating your email and setting up an appointment with IT? the link on the new student page doesn't work for me
I just tried a few minutes ago and the link did not work for me either.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:48 am

teardrops11 wrote:
glavine wrote:has anyone been successful in activating your email and setting up an appointment with IT? the link on the new student page doesn't work for me
I just tried a few minutes ago and the link did not work for me either.
I was told that our inboxes havent been created yet and that our email should be working by the beginning of august or orientation

Pizon

Bronze

Post by Pizon » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:08 am

Hey, guys! I'm a rising 2L at BLS who'd love to answer any questions you have. Reading this thread brought back memories for me, as I had the same concerns as you all last year.

For those of you taking Civil Procedure with Ressler, you lucked out. She's a great professor. Also, the schedule says you have class for two hours three times a week, but every other week you won't meet on one of those days. So it averages out to five hours per week.

I'm going to be coordinating the walk over the Brooklyn Bridge for brunch in Chinatown on Sunday 8/22. So far, 33 incoming students have indicated that they might be coming. You should join us if you can!

And again, I'm always available for questions. Welcome to BLS.

0Lhopeful

New

Post by 0Lhopeful » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:27 am

How competitive is the student body?
How manageable is the work load?
Did the career center do a good job of helping you find a summer internship for this summer? I have heard not so great things about them.

Thank you!

Pizon

Bronze

Post by Pizon » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:06 pm

0Lhopeful wrote:How competitive is the student body?
It's competitive in the sense that everyone is bright and most study hard. I haven't experienced anyone ripping pages out of books or sabotaging laptops like the horror stories you sometimes hear about law school. In general, the students are helpful and considerate. If you need class notes or outlines, you can always get them. Of course, people are nervous about jobs in this economy, so stress levels do tend to be high. Everyone is obviously hoping to do better than his or her classmates. The section you're assigned to is also a factor, as some can be stacked with stronger students.
How manageable is the work load?
I did not find it to be bad. Reading cases took some time to get used to, and for the first month or so I briefed everything I read. That was gruesome, but I'd recommend doing it. Once I got more used to it, it became much easier. It was more reading than I was used to doing, but for the most part the material was interesting and kept me engaged. I usually spent a few hours per night studying, and took weekends off completely (except during finals or when I had a paper due).
Did the career center do a good job of helping you find a summer internship for this summer? I have heard not so great things about them.
I have nothing but good things to say about them. I'd been doing my own thing, and they reached out to me about my summer plans because they wanted to make sure I had something lined up. They even revised my resume and drafted a cover letter for me. I ended up with a great paid position for the summer.
Thank you!
You're very welcome. Good luck!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:20 pm

I'm doing the reading that came with the orientataion packet and I can't help but wonder why this is necessary? Its hard to get through--hope this isn't a bad sign as to my law school compataability :-o

Pizon

Bronze

Post by Pizon » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:52 am

goosey wrote:I'm doing the reading that came with the orientataion packet and I can't help but wonder why this is necessary? Its hard to get through--hope this isn't a bad sign as to my law school compataability :-o
Everyone has that same experience. It's a good introduction to the type of material you'll be studying, but don't stress it too much.

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:50 am

So we officially start tomorrow---I wasn't this anxious before :-o

fjk88

New

Post by fjk88 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:25 pm

Whats everyone wearing for convocation tonight?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:52 am

hows everyone liking orientation?

convocation was a bit intimidating...hearing about how amazing the rest of the class is and realizing how...not amazing I am in comparison haha

sophistry

Bronze

Post by sophistry » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:52 pm

goosey wrote:hows everyone liking orientation?

convocation was a bit intimidating...hearing about how amazing the rest of the class is and realizing how...not amazing I am in comparison haha
Ha. Goosey, didn't you turn down a scholarship to Fordham? I think that would be impressive to those who you were impressed by! I was mentioned twice during the "list of accomplishments" speech, though it sounded more like my resume than reality (if you know what I mean).

As for the orientation, frankly I've found it a bit dull. They're throwing softballs in my section. I'm tuning out until the 23rd.

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:06 am

sophistry wrote:
goosey wrote:hows everyone liking orientation?

Ha. Goosey, didn't you turn down a scholarship to Fordham? I think that would be impressive to those who you were impressed by! I was mentioned twice during the "list of accomplishments" speech, though it sounded more like my resume than reality (if you know what I mean).

As for the orientation, frankly I've found it a bit dull. They're throwing softballs in my section. I'm tuning out until the 23rd.
Me too! Not for anything insane like the stuff people did in africa and climbing all 6 peaks in the world (damn) though haha..mine were specific internships and languages. Atleast now we know what they use resumes for :p

And it was need-based aid from fordham..I mean I'm happy that I got in and that they gave me aid and I was proud of myself at the time because I worked *really* hard for that, but I guess people were right when they warned me about scholarship stipulation anxiety. If this is orientation wk, I dnt even want to know how I feel right before an exam :-o hopefully I can put enough studying in to regain my confidence.

And yeah, this week is a little slow moving. I like our professor, he's interesting. But its getting kind of redundant now. 2 days left though, and then were done with this thing!

On another note, has anyone seen their syllabus for any class online? None of my classes have shared documents but I hear ppl talking about reading the syllabus.

sophistry

Bronze

Post by sophistry » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:21 am

It begins. Good luck, everyone.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”