Penn State Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
ajmeyeriv

Re: Penn State Class of 2013

Postby ajmeyeriv » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:21 pm

Hey Everyone,
If anyone is heading to Carlisle this fall and is still looking for housing I just found an awesome house that is right around the corner from the law school. Its a really nice place and the rent is also really cheap. I am looking for two roommates to fill a 3BR house. PM me or send me an email ameyer@udel.edu if you would like more information.
-Meyer
Last edited by ajmeyeriv on Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

jbarl1

Postby jbarl1 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:48 pm

I just got my lease offer for the White Course Apartments on campus in UP. Is anyone else going to be living in that complex?

dspit

Postby dspit » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:14 pm

Did you receive an e-mail from the White Course Apartments or did you just check the E-Living Website?

jbarl1

Postby jbarl1 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:14 pm

dspit wrote:Did you receive an e-mail from the White Course Apartments or did you just check the E-Living Website?

I thought I was going to get an email but I just checked the eLiving site and saw that I got an offer on Wednesday. The lease doesn't start until Aug 21 though so I had to request an early move in to be there before orientation and classes start.

dspit

Postby dspit » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:00 am

Lets look alive here. A bit more excitement would be awesome 8)

jbarl1

Postby jbarl1 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:39 am

This page is dying! Where is everyone else who is going to PSU???

nepa

Postby nepa » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:11 pm

Is it customary to not notify the student when a lease is offered and then give them a week to accept the lease and have a $500 deposit?

jbarl1

Postby jbarl1 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:44 pm

nepa wrote:Is it customary to not notify the student when a lease is offered and then give them a week to accept the lease and have a $500 deposit?

I know what you mean...I was lucky that I checked it and saw that I was offered a lease. And ever since I got the offer I have been fighting with every department in housing to figure out how to get permission to move in early. This better be a nice place...

Shifty

Postby Shifty » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:03 am

Likewise. I sent an email yesterday to "klk1@psu.edu" (Kathy Krinks; she has something to do with leasing) explaining the issue with a lease that begins after class starts. Within 24 hours I revisited eliving and, per my request, my lease date went from 8/21 to 8/15 in the "Lease Acceptance" detail. I didn't receive any sort of email confirmation for this adjustment either. Hope this helps.

jbarl1

Postby jbarl1 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:17 am

Shifty wrote:Likewise. I sent an email yesterday to "klk1@psu.edu" (Kathy Krinks; she has something to do with leasing) explaining the issue with a lease that begins after class starts. Within 24 hours I revisited eliving and, per my request, my lease date went from 8/21 to 8/15 in the "Lease Acceptance" detail. I didn't receive any sort of email confirmation for this adjustment either. Hope this helps.

I have been emailing and calling all week and have gotten no such response. I was told by someone yesterday that they wouldnt actually change the date of the lease, they would just let me move in earlier, so I accepted the lease as it was with the start date on 8/21. I am going to email Kathy Kinks too and they better be able to change it even though I have accepted it...their information has been very confusing.

ajmeyeriv

Postby ajmeyeriv » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:42 pm

Who all is going to Carlisle next year? I am so excited to start in the fall.

TracyLynn

Postby TracyLynn » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:09 am

Since this is the group that already decided to attend Penn State, I'm curious, what pushed you to pick PSU? I have til Friday to decide between Buffalo and Penn State. Buffalo at 12,000 tuition and PSU at 18,500 tuition. I'm totally torn! I'm afraid of taking on the extra debt, but feel like Penn State has better opportunities, name, reputation, etc. Any thoughts from the class of 2013 (which I may still be joining)?

jbarl1

Postby jbarl1 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:49 pm

TracyLynn wrote:Since this is the group that already decided to attend Penn State, I'm curious, what pushed you to pick PSU? I have til Friday to decide between Buffalo and Penn State. Buffalo at 12,000 tuition and PSU at 18,500 tuition. I'm totally torn! I'm afraid of taking on the extra debt, but feel like Penn State has better opportunities, name, reputation, etc. Any thoughts from the class of 2013 (which I may still be joining)?

I did my undergrad in western NY about an hour from Buffalo. The city itself is one of the poorest in the country and really doesn't provide a lot of opportunities. If you have any interest in a strong alumni network and a more nationally known name, go with Penn State for sure. Plus, Buffalo fell out of the top 100 again and it just doesn't seem like a secure bet to me. Other than that, I do know some people who go to Buffalo and they like it...it really probably just comes down to where you would rather end up working.

TracyLynn

Postby TracyLynn » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:12 pm

jbarl1 wrote:
TracyLynn wrote:Since this is the group that already decided to attend Penn State, I'm curious, what pushed you to pick PSU? I have til Friday to decide between Buffalo and Penn State. Buffalo at 12,000 tuition and PSU at 18,500 tuition. I'm totally torn! I'm afraid of taking on the extra debt, but feel like Penn State has better opportunities, name, reputation, etc. Any thoughts from the class of 2013 (which I may still be joining)?

I did my undergrad in western NY about an hour from Buffalo. The city itself is one of the poorest in the country and really doesn't provide a lot of opportunities. If you have any interest in a strong alumni network and a more nationally known name, go with Penn State for sure. Plus, Buffalo fell out of the top 100 again and it just doesn't seem like a secure bet to me. Other than that, I do know some people who go to Buffalo and they like it...it really probably just comes down to where you would rather end up working.

I actually am from Buffalo, and would like to end up somewhere else. Do you think Penn State is worth an extra 25,000 (over 3 years)?

jbarl1

Postby jbarl1 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:55 pm

TracyLynn wrote:
jbarl1 wrote:

I actually am from Buffalo, and would like to end up somewhere else. Do you think Penn State is worth an extra 25,000 (over 3 years)?

I personally do. I feel like you are paying for a better name, a better school and probably a better overall education. If you don't want to end up in Buffalo, don't go to Buffalo.

TracyLynn

Postby TracyLynn » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:51 pm

Thanks for the opinions! If anyone else wants to chime in, feel free

jvc

Postby jvc » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:25 am

I will be at UP this fall. I am going to be moving to State College from NJ with my girlfriend in June. Since my first visit to PSU, I felt like it was the right place for me. I generally consider myself to be more city-oriented. But, of all the schools I visited, Penn State impressed me the most. Plus, I felt a much more positive vibe at PSU than other schools (Rutgers, Seton Hall, Brooklyn, etc). The name recognition is an added bonus. I'm very excited!

jbarl1

Postby jbarl1 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:02 am

jvc wrote:I will be at UP this fall. I am going to be moving to State College from NJ with my girlfriend in June. Since my first visit to PSU, I felt like it was the right place for me. I generally consider myself to be more city-oriented. But, of all the schools I visited, Penn State impressed me the most. Plus, I felt a much more positive vibe at PSU than other schools (Rutgers, Seton Hall, Brooklyn, etc). The name recognition is an added bonus. I'm very excited!

I am really excited too. Where will you be living (if you don't mind me asking...I'm curious to see where law students are staying)? I guess I will see you in the fall!

jvc

Postby jvc » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:42 pm

jbarl1 wrote:
jvc wrote:I will be at UP this fall. I am going to be moving to State College from NJ with my girlfriend in June. Since my first visit to PSU, I felt like it was the right place for me. I generally consider myself to be more city-oriented. But, of all the schools I visited, Penn State impressed me the most. Plus, I felt a much more positive vibe at PSU than other schools (Rutgers, Seton Hall, Brooklyn, etc). The name recognition is an added bonus. I'm very excited!

I am really excited too. Where will you be living (if you don't mind me asking...I'm curious to see where law students are staying)? I guess I will see you in the fall!

Ha! Funny you should ask...

My girlfriend just got a nursing job out there so we have to move asap. We called/visted every place in that packet that they gave us at the open house and then some. There was only one complex, Parkway Plaza, that had an opening in the next two months. Everything else was either August move-ins or booked through the fall.

The apartment itself is really nice but the building and facilities leave much to be desired. But, it was our only option. No big deal though. We'll just have to get an early jump on finding a new place for next year.

Moral of the story: Those of you looking for an apartment for August better get started now!

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:44 pm

Can't wait guys!

Captain Muscles

Postby Captain Muscles » Mon May 03, 2010 5:54 pm

Captain Muscles is in at Penn State!

Coming to a gym and law classroom to you very soon.

Depending on whether or not Loyola takes me.

jvc

Postby jvc » Mon May 03, 2010 7:50 pm

Captain Muscles wrote:Captain Muscles is in at Penn State!

Coming to a gym and law classroom to you very soon.

Depending on whether or not Loyola takes me.

Captain Muscles,

This is a bit off topic, but, are you a bodybuilder? If so, where do you compete and in what organization(s)? Just curious because I've done some natural USBF shows in NJ and I know a lot of national competitors.

dspit

Postby dspit » Wed May 05, 2010 2:15 am

I'm looking for a roomate at UP. The student affairs site has only a limited amount of listings. The white course apartments seemed pretty pricey but I would like to be living with other graduate students. Does anyone know where else I can look?

jbarl1

Postby jbarl1 » Sat May 08, 2010 10:57 am

So did everyone else get the email about football tickets? It says we can buy one student season pass, how do we go about getting a seat for a friend or someone who wants to come with us? I'm trying to decide if I want to buy the pass or not...hmmm.

jvc

Postby jvc » Tue May 11, 2010 7:10 am

jbarl1 wrote:So did everyone else get the email about football tickets? It says we can buy one student season pass, how do we go about getting a seat for a friend or someone who wants to come with us? I'm trying to decide if I want to buy the pass or not...hmmm.

Yes. I got it. I was wondering the same thing. But, I'm 99.99% sure a non-student is more than able to buy season tickets. I think students have the first shot at them, though. Season tickets for the general public will probably go on sale later in the summer.

Again, this is my guess based on the fact that everyone from central PA, student or not, lives for these football games in the fall.

I am very excited about going to the games. I'd just hate to buy a season's worth of tickets to find that I'm going to be stuck in a law library for half of them. Haha! I'll probably buy them anyway.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”