Penn State Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
arich24

Re: Penn State Class of 2013

Postby arich24 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:10 pm

Congrats to you all! I'm a 2L at the Carlisle campus if anyone has any questions! I'll also be working the Open House 3/27, so look for me:)!!

SportsFanatic

Postby SportsFanatic » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:37 pm

Withdrew today... good luck everyone

champ33

Postby champ33 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:17 pm

arich24 wrote:Congrats to you all! I'm a 2L at the Carlisle campus if anyone has any questions! I'll also be working the Open House 3/27, so look for me:)!!

Hey arch, thanks for posting.. I'm admitted to the UP campus, considering whether I want to change that or not. Do you find that the Carlisle campus has older or more established students overall? what other differences do you notice in composition of the student bodies of each campus respectively? How do you feel about job prospects... summers as well as postgrad? Thanks so much for your time.

arich24

Postby arich24 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:44 pm

champ33 wrote:
arich24 wrote:Congrats to you all! I'm a 2L at the Carlisle campus if anyone has any questions! I'll also be working the Open House 3/27, so look for me:)!!

Hey arch, thanks for posting.. I'm admitted to the UP campus, considering whether I want to change that or not. Do you find that the Carlisle campus has older or more established students overall? what other differences do you notice in composition of the student bodies of each campus respectively? How do you feel about job prospects... summers as well as postgrad? Thanks so much for your time.

Hello there. Both campuses have their advantages and disadvantages. I too was actually admitted to UP and switched to Carlisle last minute after visiting. Because Carlisle is a small town and removed from the crazy undergrad life, older and more established students tend to flock here. Carlisle is definitely more low key, though there is still opportunity for socializing, while UP tends to be much more hopping (in fact, it was the threat of distractions that made me switch b/c I had WAY too much fun in UP haha). All of that being said, both campuses are what you make of it...you can obviously choose to work and play as much as you want. The students at both are great; however, I have noticed an older (many married, etc) crowd in Carlisle.

Job prospects, particularly in the summer, are very good in Carlisle due to the proximity to Harrisburg and the fact that Carlisle is the seat of Cumberland County; however, I didn't hear of any of my UP classmates having trouble...and in fact, alot sub-lease Carlisle apartments so that they can work in Harrisburg or for the Cumberland County court. Post-grad job placement is a bit tricker...especially with the economy, but Penn State typically places well throughout the region (PA, DC, MD, NY).

jbarl1

Postby jbarl1 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:26 pm

I am mailing in my deposit today! I will be at UP and I am so excited!

pantherfan

Postby pantherfan » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:00 pm

anyone else heading to Penn State? Let's see some movement!

sidewaysglance

Postby sidewaysglance » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:09 am

I'm very disappointed that PSU offered my zero scholarship (I'm above the 75th% mark for both LSAT and GPA)... I think they assumed that because I lived in close proximity I would go there. My financial aid package came with only suggestions for loans, and it was very disappointing.

I spoke to the financial aid woman at the open house and it sounded like the chances of more scholarships being offered later was not likely.

It's a shame because I was excited when I got my acceptance and was seriously considering Penn State ,(because of its great regional name, and I probably want to end up practicing in PA) but with no scholarship (and acceptances at higher ranked schools that cost less) I think I'm going to WD....

charlesjd

Postby charlesjd » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:09 pm

jbarl1 wrote:I am mailing in my deposit today! I will be at UP and I am so excited!

If I decide to matriculate here (still waiting on some other schools) I will also be at UP.

charlesjd

Postby charlesjd » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:16 pm

AngelAuthor wrote:Just got my e-mail letter of acceptance. Pretty exciting. I will be at UP because I prefer crowds & large cities. Since I live in Arizona I can't exactly afford to up and fly out there for Open House on such short notice, but I will be going out there probably in May to get a look around before moving this summer.

+1

meggers88

Postby meggers88 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:34 pm

just sent my deposit today...i'm enrolled at carlisle. being from California and coming from a big school like UCLA, i'm considering a switch to the State College campus but i'm pretty torn.

i chose carlisle originally because i felt like it would be the best study environment, and i thought state college might be too distracting. i still feel that way but i really didn't feel like there was much to do in carlisle, and i've never been in an environment like that- except when i studied abroad in england (the campus was in a small town but still had a main strip of businesses / restaurants). i dono. i guess i just dont wanna feel like i'm still in college...but was curious about what people do for fun in carlisle?

Snowdrifter

Postby Snowdrifter » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:07 am

meggers88 wrote:just sent my deposit today...i'm enrolled at carlisle. being from California and coming from a big school like UCLA, i'm considering a switch to the State College campus but i'm pretty torn.

i chose carlisle originally because i felt like it would be the best study environment, and i thought state college might be too distracting. i still feel that way but i really didn't feel like there was much to do in carlisle, and i've never been in an environment like that- except when i studied abroad in england (the campus was in a small town but still had a main strip of businesses / restaurants). i dono. i guess i just dont wanna feel like i'm still in college...but was curious about what people do for fun in carlisle?

Carlisle doesn't seem that bad. PM arich24 - she knows how to have fun in Carlisle. Probably too much. :lol:

charlesjd

Postby charlesjd » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:41 am

meggers88 wrote:just sent my deposit today...i'm enrolled at carlisle. being from California and coming from a big school like UCLA, i'm considering a switch to the State College campus but i'm pretty torn.

boooo, UP is going to be so much better!!! The new Lewis Katz building is sick, plus I want to be on a campus.. I feel more collegiality with it since we are all stuck there.

arich24

Re: PennState University State Class of 2013

Postby arich24 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:14 am

Snowdrifter wrote:

Carlisle doesn't seem that bad. PM arich24 - she knows how to have fun in Carlisle. Probably too much. :

Haha. Yes, don't be fooled by Carlisle's small size. We know when, where, and how to have fun. haha. Feel free to PM with any and all questions (I'm a 2L at Carlisle BTW). All this being said, Law School is what you make it. No matter what campus you're at you can choose the super quiet study life and the super crazy distracted life and anywhere in between.

PS: I'm thinking there is some sort of hacking action going on on TLS. For example, it won't let me spell law school correctly. Haha

nonamebreakdown

Postby nonamebreakdown » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:48 pm

Hey meggers, I'm also from CA, went to UCLA and might be attending PSU this fall. Have you had a chance to visit? I went to the open house at state college and didn't get to visit Carlisle but I would definitely imagine that SC (state college, not that SC) is much more Westwood-esque, which is why I chose it. The town was pretty lively, seemed like there was a lot of partying and that it could be distracting, but hey that could be a good thing every now and then, and becoming involved in that scene is completely up to you. If you want to study on some night, then just don't go out. Good luck and maybe I will see you there for an 8 clap.

meggers88

Postby meggers88 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:07 pm

nonamebreakdown wrote:

Hey meggers, I'm also from CA, went to UCLA and might be attending PSU this fall. Have you had a chance to visit? I went to the open house at state college and didn't get to visit Carlisle but I would definitely imagine that SC (state college, not that SC) is much more Westwood-esque, which is why I chose it. The town was pretty lively, seemed like there was a lot of partying and that it could be distracting, but hey that could be a good thing every now and then, and becoming involved in that scene is completely up to you. If you want to study on some night, then just don't go out. Good luck and maybe I will see you there for an 8 clap.

yea like i said, i'm considering a switch to State College because it is much more westwood-esque and everything is all in one place (health center, food, airport...it even has a mall and lets face it i def dont have the wardrobe for Penn weather), you don't have to walk very far, and if you do need to unwind you can do that. didn't feel that way so much in carlisle...although housing is cheap.

jbarl1

Postby jbarl1 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:42 am

I know a lot of law schools have softball teams made up of students who play each other for fun, any idea if Penn State does this?

arich24

Postby arich24 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:34 am

jbarl1 wrote:I know a lot of law schools have softball teams made up of students who play each other for fun, any idea if Penn State does this?

Hey! We def. have intramurals...the big ones are flag football (fall) and basketball (spring). They tried to get enough softball teams together for a competition, but it fell through this year. We do, however, have 2 softball teams who go to UVA each spring (they're actually going this coming up weekend) to play other law school teams! I assumed State College has all this too... ??

nepa

Postby nepa » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:34 am

I'm going to University Park. I'm from the Scranton area so if anyone else from around town is going to psu shoot me a message.

Snowdrifter

Postby Snowdrifter » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:41 pm

nepa wrote:I'm going to University Park. I'm from the Scranton area so if anyone else from around town is going to psu shoot me a message.

Is your real name Dwight Schrute? Ahahaha.... yea, you're probably sick of those jokes. ;)

Welcome to TLS. 8)

anthonyc350

Postby anthonyc350 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:24 pm

changed my mind at the last second! will be going to UP next year

jbarl1

Postby jbarl1 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:35 am

Has anyone heard anything about the travel stipends for Open House?

dsegura

Postby dsegura » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:33 pm

Penn State (UP) for me this fall if I don't receive any more admission letters.

jbarl1

Postby jbarl1 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:05 am

dsegura

Postby dsegura » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:23 pm

JohnnyDarko

Postby JohnnyDarko » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:38 pm

I'll be at UP in the fall. See you guys there!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”