Penn State Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
User avatar
jbarl1
Posts: 563
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: Penn State Class of 2013

Postby jbarl1 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:16 pm

jvc wrote:Has anyone received the email invite to the informal reception in Washington DC for deposited students? I would love to go but I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it. Is anyone going to be attending? If it seems like there will be a large turnout, I'll have to do what I can to try and be there.

Also, I just moved out to State College on Tuesday and have been very busy exploring the area and getting a feel for the town. So far, I love it and am more than happy to spend the next three years here. It is different from what I am used to...but in a good way. It seems to have the perfect balance between "stuff to do" and "not many distractions" which I think will be very beneficial to law a student.

jbarl1 wrote:
AG2152 wrote:A gym membership for both semesters is about $100. I don't know about the non-student usage for sure, but I do know there are certain facilities that are usually open to the public...the tracks in the IM building and Rec Hall, the volley and basketball courts in IM and the courts in Rec Hall.


Thanks for the info...I was especially wondering about non-students who live on campus (in the White Course), I wonder if they have special memberships for them.


I asked a few months ago if my girlfriend could somehow gain access to the school gym. They told me there was something called an "affiliate program," which seemed to apply only to spouses because my gf would not be allowed to use the gym (we live off campus). They also said I can't start using the gym until school starts. However, I am going to go in person tomorrow and see if there is anything we can work out to fix both of these problems. I'll keep you updated.

Right now we are using a gym just down the street from the Rec called East Coast Fitness. It's nice and has a good price, but nothing compared to the school gyms. They are BEAUTIFUL!


Thanks for the info! I won't be moving until about a week before classes so I am not worried about using it for this summer, just during the year and maybe next summer. Keep me posted!

User avatar
mb526
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:59 pm

Re: Penn State Class of 2013

Postby mb526 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:09 pm

I'm movin to UP from Oregon and not bringing a car. Does anyone know yet of a good bike shop?

User avatar
jbarl1
Posts: 563
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: Penn State Class of 2013

Postby jbarl1 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:23 pm

mb526 wrote:I'm movin to UP from Oregon and not bringing a car. Does anyone know yet of a good bike shop?


I am thinking of bringing a bike too, since I will be on campus. But I will also have my car so I can get around town.
Are you going to be on campus?

Kennexboy
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 1:17 am

Re: Penn State Class of 2013

Postby Kennexboy » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:56 pm

mb526 wrote:I'm movin to UP from Oregon and not bringing a car. Does anyone know yet of a good bike shop?


There are two bikes shops, one is in downtown near the corner of college ave and Allen Street. Another is on College Ave near white course apartments.

Kennexboy
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 1:17 am

Re: Penn State Class of 2013

Postby Kennexboy » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:58 pm

mb526 wrote:I'm movin to UP from Oregon and not bringing a car. Does anyone know yet of a good bike shop?


There is also a good bus system. Link is here: http://www.catabus.com/

Bus is free when on campus, and some apartments supply bus passes.

Kennexboy
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 1:17 am

Re: Penn State Class of 2013

Postby Kennexboy » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:01 pm

If you are in town, some bars that law students frequent during the school year are (all located in downtown State College): Cafe 210 (on college ave near Frazier), Bill Pickles Tap Room (On Allen Street), Inferno (on College, in the middle of downtown).

Lots of law students will be in town June 8-12th for artsfest. If you are in town and wanna hang out with some of the law students just send me message and ill give you some more info.

User avatar
kk19131
Posts: 1054
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: Penn State Class of 2013

Postby kk19131 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:03 pm

Wow, someone's actually coming all the way from Oregon to live in the middle of Pennsylvania...

:shock:

User avatar
dspit
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:12 pm

Re: Penn State Class of 2013

Postby dspit » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:15 pm

kk19131 wrote:Wow, someone's actually coming all the way from Oregon to live in the middle of Pennsylvania...

:shock:


i'm coming from Los Angeles.

User avatar
mb526
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:59 pm

Re: Penn State Class of 2013

Postby mb526 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:56 pm

Wow, thanx for all the help everyone this clears a few things up. I am moving into the White Course Apartments into one of the units for single students. Pretty excited, less than two months til I head out :).

User avatar
jbarl1
Posts: 563
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: Penn State Class of 2013

Postby jbarl1 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:21 pm

mb526 wrote:Wow, thanx for all the help everyone this clears a few things up. I am moving into the White Course Apartments into one of the units for single students. Pretty excited, less than two months til I head out :).


Do you know what day you are moving in?

User avatar
mb526
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:59 pm

Re: Penn State Class of 2013

Postby mb526 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:40 pm

August 15th

User avatar
jbarl1
Posts: 563
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: Penn State Class of 2013

Postby jbarl1 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:58 pm

mb526 wrote:August 15th


Did you get official permission to move in that day? I requested early move in back in April and was told "probably but we will let you know in the summer for sure." If you did get official permission, who did you contact to do so? Any information would be great...thanks!

User avatar
jbarl1
Posts: 563
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: Penn State Class of 2013

Postby jbarl1 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:03 pm

Does anyone know if we will find out anything about our class schedule before orientation?

User avatar
mb526
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:59 pm

Re: Penn State Class of 2013

Postby mb526 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:59 pm

In the lease agreement I signed the document states that the landlord is required to give me possession of the premises beginning when the lease starts which is the 15th of August. I'd check your lease agreement, and see if it says anything about early move in, if not try and get in contact with Penn State Resident Life and see if you can talk to them again about early move in.

User avatar
jbarl1
Posts: 563
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: Penn State Class of 2013

Postby jbarl1 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:32 pm

mb526 wrote:In the lease agreement I signed the document states that the landlord is required to give me possession of the premises beginning when the lease starts which is the 15th of August. I'd check your lease agreement, and see if it says anything about early move in, if not try and get in contact with Penn State Resident Life and see if you can talk to them again about early move in.


Yeah I have been talking to them about early move in, but my lease doesn't technically start until the 21st. They told me back in April that they would let me know for sure sometime this summer, but I haven't heard yet. I kept trying to get the lease changed when I applied, but I had to accept it without the change because it was going to expire. The office assured me I would be able to move in early and I shouldn't be concerned, but I can't help but worry at this point. Anyway, do you remember the name of who you were in contact with about your early move in? See you in the fall!

jrjd28
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:51 pm

Re: Penn State Class of 2013

Postby jrjd28 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:10 pm

I was just admitted from the waitlist. Anyone have thoughts on where to live in Carlisle?

User avatar
jvc
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:30 pm

Re: Penn State Class of 2013

Postby jvc » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:12 am

Did anyone buy their football tickets this morning? I got mine. I hope I'll have enough time on Saturdays to use them!

User avatar
jbarl1
Posts: 563
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: Penn State Class of 2013

Postby jbarl1 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:30 am

jvc wrote:Did anyone buy their football tickets this morning? I got mine. I hope I'll have enough time on Saturdays to use them!


I'm not bothering with them, at least for the first year. I will get tickets some other way if I really want to go to a game.

And in other good news, anyone who was waiting for early move-in approval to the White Course Apartments, mine came in an email this morning. I will be permitted to move in on August 11th, as opposed to the 21st.
Last edited by jbarl1 on Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shifty
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:52 am

Re: Penn State Class of 2013

Postby Shifty » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:41 am

I picked up mine. I refuse to believe there won't be enough time to enjoy at least your money's worth of football games. I'm just happy I can now shamelessly back a respectable college football team.

User avatar
jbarl1
Posts: 563
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: Penn State Class of 2013

Postby jbarl1 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:46 pm

Anyone know when we might be getting more information? I know some other schools have already released class sections and all that...I'm getting impatient due to excitement!

arich24
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:33 pm

Re: Penn State Class of 2013

Postby arich24 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:10 am

jbarl1 wrote:Anyone know when we might be getting more information? I know some other schools have already released class sections and all that...I'm getting impatient due to excitement!

I'm a rising 3L, and I know we didn't get anything until orientation (class schedule, section, ID, email, etc)...so unfortunately, you've got a bit of a wait. You can, however, try to get onto the registrar and see when the 1L classes are and so you can at least know you're in one of those. If you don't have access, I can post them on here for you!

User avatar
jbarl1
Posts: 563
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: Penn State Class of 2013

Postby jbarl1 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:35 pm

arich24 wrote:
jbarl1 wrote:Anyone know when we might be getting more information? I know some other schools have already released class sections and all that...I'm getting impatient due to excitement!

I'm a rising 3L, and I know we didn't get anything until orientation (class schedule, section, ID, email, etc)...so unfortunately, you've got a bit of a wait. You can, however, try to get onto the registrar and see when the 1L classes are and so you can at least know you're in one of those. If you don't have access, I can post them on here for you!


I did find my way into the class schedule so I was just browsing what times my classes might be and all that. Thanks for the info!

User avatar
mochafury
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:32 am

Re: Penn State Class of 2013

Postby mochafury » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:44 pm

Hey 3L, thanks for the info. What's the job situation looking like at Dickinson Law?

Kern
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:47 pm

Re: Penn State Class of 2013

Postby Kern » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:23 pm

I was wondering if any of the older students knew anything about parking. I found housing off-campus and not close enough to walk. I could take a bus but I was wondering what kind of parking was available near the law school at State College. Could we park in the lot near the law school building? Does it cost something? Or do we get a permit for somewhere else on campus? Thanks!

User avatar
jbarl1
Posts: 563
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: Penn State Class of 2013

Postby jbarl1 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:23 am

Kern wrote:I was wondering if any of the older students knew anything about parking. I found housing off-campus and not close enough to walk. I could take a bus but I was wondering what kind of parking was available near the law school at State College. Could we park in the lot near the law school building? Does it cost something? Or do we get a permit for somewhere else on campus? Thanks!


At the Open House they said that 1Ls really can't get parking passes for the lot at the building, but that they usually get them for the lot by the stadium and then walk or take the shuttle/bus to the building. If you check out the parking site you can find the prices.




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest