UNLV/Boyd c/o 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Vegas_Rebel

Re: UNLV/Boyd c/o 2013

Postby Vegas_Rebel » Tue May 18, 2010 7:05 pm

PhantaManta wrote:I thought that the COA amount you can borrow is capped at 17,850 by the school.

"The estimated cost of attendance (COA) for the academic year (fall and spring semesters) will vary according to a student’s enrollment status. The estimated COA (excluding tuition and fees) is as follows:

* Full Time: $17,875
* Part Time: $17,025"

Later it says:

"Students may receive scholarship and loans up to their estimated Cost of Attendance (COA). The total financial aid awards, in any combination, cannot exceed the estimated COA. Students whose basic expenses exceed this amount may contact the Student Financial Services Office to request an individual COA review after the semester begins."

But I don't know how easy that is to do.

Strange. I just looked again, and you're absolutely right. The COL calc here: http://financialaid.unlv.edu/Information/Costs/coacalc.asp puts COL at just shy of $19k, but that was for last year.

Maybe I'll have to figure out how tough that review process is :/

PhantaManta

Postby PhantaManta » Tue May 18, 2010 9:30 pm

I got a rare email from UNLV today (I am getting about 5x as many emails from McGeorge and Akron, neither of which I even applied to), and it said we will all be getting MyUNLV accounts within the upcomming weeks, in a series of 3 emails, and our accounts will contain our financial aid information/statuses.

As far as COA goes, I am hoping it will be okay. I plan to spend no more than $625 per month on an apartment, and I know of two different options for studios between 500-550, although one is in a bad area and one is in a meh area (according to las vegas people). While the area is bad, both apartments have okay-to-good ratings on apartment ratings, which is why I am going to check them out when I come to Vegas to apartment hunt.

I really dunno. My parents will help me if I need a little bit of money here and there, so I think if I get an apartment in that range and don't waste money it will be okay. I hope.

Vegas_Rebel

Postby Vegas_Rebel » Tue May 18, 2010 11:06 pm

PhantaManta wrote:As far as COA goes, I am hoping it will be okay. I plan to spend no more than $625 per month on an apartment, and I know of two different options for studios between 500-550, although one is in a bad area and one is in a meh area (according to las vegas people). While the area is bad, both apartments have okay-to-good ratings on apartment ratings, which is why I am going to check them out when I come to Vegas to apartment hunt.

I really dunno. My parents will help me if I need a little bit of money here and there, so I think if I get an apartment in that range and don't waste money it will be okay. I hope.

I think most folks will be OK on COL. $1500 / mo is fine for rent, food, books, and utilities. The only reason I'm a little nervy is cause my rent is a little higher than most, and I have a $400/mo car payment that isn't factor-able into my COL.

historyholly

Postby historyholly » Wed May 19, 2010 2:36 pm

1500 a month is just shy of my income now and I have even managed to save money. That is even with me not being terribly frugal with going out to eat and alcohol consumption.

A thought though: can I take the full amount of fed laons and then if I don't use them just pay them back? Or do they adjust those as we go along according to what we need? Rather take out more at the beginning and have too much than take out too little.

historyholly

Postby historyholly » Wed May 19, 2010 2:37 pm

Also, are you considering getting a roommate at all phanta? I have one lined up and it brought down the cost a lot.

Vegas_Rebel

Postby Vegas_Rebel » Wed May 19, 2010 2:49 pm

historyholly wrote:1500 a month is just shy of my income now and I have even managed to save money. That is even with me not being terribly frugal with going out to eat and alcohol consumption.

A thought though: can I take the full amount of fed laons and then if I don't use them just pay them back? Or do they adjust those as we go along according to what we need? Rather take out more at the beginning and have too much than take out too little.

Yes, you can. You might get charged a little interest for the time you had the money, but you can use the extra to pay off the balance as you like. The school doesn't really have any idea how you're using the money or what your particular budget is (unless you were going to try and get -more-, at which point they ask for bills and leases and such.)

PhantaManta

Postby PhantaManta » Wed May 19, 2010 11:36 pm

historyholly wrote:Also, are you considering getting a roommate at all phanta? I have one lined up and it brought down the cost a lot.

No I wasn't planning on doing this, although I have thought about it. Dunno. Not really into having a roomate, I don't think :)

PhantaManta

Postby PhantaManta » Mon May 24, 2010 7:18 pm

I got my MyUNLV.

It doesn't have my scholarship listed anywhere, does anyone else who got a scholarship have theirs listed in the financial aid section?

historyholly

Postby historyholly » Mon May 24, 2010 8:44 pm

Mine were there phanta. What part of the site were you looking on?

PhantaManta

Postby PhantaManta » Mon May 24, 2010 9:09 pm

historyholly wrote:Mine were there phanta. What part of the site were you looking on?

I went to the financial aid / awards section. It says I can take out loans for the total cost of attendance, and doesn't mention scholarships, but I have full tuition scholarship. Yours is different then? Guess I have to email Nathan Neeley! :D

historyholly

Postby historyholly » Mon May 24, 2010 9:27 pm

I got a scholarship as well, so I don't think scholarships have anything to do with actual aid. Although, I can't accept the plus loan, only decline it. Don't plan on taking it though. Going to scratch by 18,000 from federal loans and savings.

Vegas_Rebel

Postby Vegas_Rebel » Tue May 25, 2010 4:24 pm

PhantaManta wrote:I got my MyUNLV.

It doesn't have my scholarship listed anywhere, does anyone else who got a scholarship have theirs listed in the financial aid section?

Same here.

historyholly wrote:Although, I can't accept the plus loan, only decline it.

And also here. I have sub, unsub, and PLUS, but can only accept the first two.

historyholly

Postby historyholly » Tue May 25, 2010 8:09 pm

When I had called the fin aid office initially, they said the law school wouldn't send over their scholarship offers until June or July. That is probably why we can't accept the Plus Loan, because it doesn't take our scholarship into account.

Haskell83

Postby Haskell83 » Tue May 25, 2010 9:43 pm

I'd bet it is because the PLUS loans are subject to an approval process, i.e. creditworthiness etc.

AsexualChocolate

Postby AsexualChocolate » Wed May 26, 2010 2:33 am

I've only been able to see my sub/unsub offerings in MyUNLV. No GradPLUS even mentioned. What all did you guys complete on the FAFSA web site? I filled out the main FAFSA document, but didn't complete any of the master promissory notes. Curious to see if that's perhaps why I don't see GradPlus...

historyholly

Postby historyholly » Wed May 26, 2010 12:00 pm

I have a friend who will be my roommate who also cannot see her plus loan. I can see mine, but I filled out the promissory note a while ago when I was thinking of going to another school. I would just call the fin aid office and ask.

Vegas_Rebel

Postby Vegas_Rebel » Thu May 27, 2010 6:04 pm

Just got this in my email, so I'm passing it along in case anyone didn't:

Elizabeth Karl wrote:Greetings John

As you begin your journey with the William S. Boyd School of Law, we understand that several questions may arise. In an effort to provide you with information to answer those questions, we?ve composed the following correspondence. This information should answer many of your questions regarding the process through the summer as well as provide you with some general timelines.

What can I expect with Financial Aid?

At this time, you should be in possession of your MyUNLV login information (please contact us ASAP if you HAVE NOT received it). Remember, this is where you can view and accept your financial aid awards (once properly processed). Furthermore, you will also have the ability to pay your tuition and secure loans here. Keep in mind that August 18, 2010 is the last day to pay tuition and fees without incurring a late charge.

If you have any questions regarding your financial aid package or award status, please do not hesitate to contact Dr. Christopher Kypuros, Associate Director of Client Services in Financial Aid. He can be reached at 702-895-6030 or christopher.kypuros@unlv.edu. With a high volume of activity, your patience is greatly appreciated!

As an aside, if you plan on receiving financial aid, it is highly recommended you follow the directions regarding your aid as soon as you are able. This will help you to avoid incurring any late fees on your account (those beginning the process two weeks before tuition and fees are due have a high probability that late fees will be incurred). Additionally, aid typically disburses no sooner than 10 days before school begins (August 19, 2010). Those receiving refunds, please note that refunds are generally mailed the weekend before school begins.

When do I show up?

In your registration packet you will receive the schedule for Intro to Law Week. Intro to Law Week begins Monday, August 16, 2010 and continues through Wednesday, August 18, 2010. This is an orientation of sorts for 1Ls. Among other valuable sessions conducted over these three days, you will also have the first meeting of your Lawyering Process course. Classes officially begin on Thursday, August 19, 2010.

What else can I do this summer?

Next week, you can expect correspondence from Dean for Student Advancement, Frank Durand, outlining thoughts to consider this summer.

When do I register?

Your registration packets will arrive sometime in late July. These will contain your class schedule, Intro to Law Week/Orientation schedule, and various other items of business like how to get your computer accounts, ID cards, and parking permits.

To make the registration process run as smoothly as possible, please keep us posted on any changes in your contact information over the course of the summer by contacting Elizabeth Karl in Admissions at elizabeth.karl@unlv.edu or (702) 895-2424. Also, if you have not already done so, please be sure you have submitted to Elizabeth an official copy of your undergraduate transcript showing conferral of your degree and required immunization records as described in the materials sent to you with your offer of admission. We must receive these materials before you can register.

Miscellaneous

Keep an eye out for future correspondence by email. If your mailing address, phone number, or email address changes please contact the Office of Admissions immediately with your new information.

Please make sure to update the Office of Admissions ASAP if your plans for attending law school change.

Finally, if, after reading this missive in its entirety, you feel you have unanswered questions, please do not hesitate contact us!

Again congratulations on your admission, a wealth of opportunity and knowledge await you!

Nathan Neely and Elizabeth Karl

Office of Admissions

William S. Boyd School of

historyholly

Postby historyholly » Thu May 27, 2010 6:24 pm

It begins......

Vegas_Rebel

Postby Vegas_Rebel » Thu May 27, 2010 6:35 pm

historyholly wrote:It begins......

No Darth Vader music included ;)

historyholly

Postby historyholly » Thu May 27, 2010 6:42 pm

Haha, I was thinking something more epic and less doom. Oh, so I am going to be in Vegas this weekend to look at condos and try to wander around the school via self guided tour. Any suggestions for places to check out or cool places to eat?

Vegas_Rebel

Postby Vegas_Rebel » Thu May 27, 2010 6:58 pm

historyholly wrote:Haha, I was thinking something more epic and less doom. Oh, so I am going to be in Vegas this weekend to look at condos and try to wander around the school via self guided tour. Any suggestions for places to check out or cool places to eat?

Oh, there's lots of places, just depends on what you like and your budget.

The Mexican restaurant at Sunset Station is pretty good. If you like cheese steaks, hit up Steak Out right near the school on MP near Trop. Crown & Anchor is always good, or the Freakin Frog for drinks. There's a place called The Lakes Lounge that's a great little joint up near Summerlin - try the Steak Sandwich.

Other than that, wander the strip, hit up some clubs if that's your thing, or enjoy the pool if you're staying on strip.

PhantaManta

Postby PhantaManta » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:12 pm

Just checking in with some info I saw on UNLV's site. Now I know we usually have to take this stuff with a grain of salt, but it can't hurt to be a little optimistic now and then:

Despite the tough economy, the Boyd School of Law has seen an upward trend in the percentage of its students finding employment before graduation. For the past three years job placement of Boyd students before graduation has increased steadily: 77 percent in 2007, 78 percent in 2008 and 81 percent in 2009.

I have to mention that the above quote doesn't mention the % of those reporting.

Link: --LinkRemoved--

historyholly

Postby historyholly » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:04 pm

The 2009 NALP statistics were just released and I have been waiting for UNLV to post theirs on the site. Those usually break down how many students reported and what areas of law students went into. I was thinking about emailing them about the stats and now I think I will. If i get any numbers, I will let you know.

Casper_n

Postby Casper_n » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:26 am

HOLY SMOKES!!!

That reading list Dean Durand just sent out was rather lengthy, eh?

historyholly

Postby historyholly » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:44 am

Long indeed. Plus, Law School Confidential and Getting to Maybe were no where to be found on the list, which are the only books I am going to bother reading

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”