UNLV/Boyd c/o 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
User avatar
Vegas_Rebel
Posts: 327
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:18 am

Re: UNLV/Boyd c/o 2013

Postby Vegas_Rebel » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:38 pm

yo! wrote:Free MC pass is awesome! At my UG, you had to buy both passes :cry: If I were to drive my truck, how bad is the parking?


Well, you'll get parking.

Click Student Parking

There are two parking garages. The new one by the Thomas and Mack is almost always pretty full. (That's the rectangle above the words 'red lot').

There's another on the back side of campus by the theater that I hear is fairly open now, but I've never parked there. (A) That would probably be your best bet going to the law school.

In open area parking, U & H are about as good as A there, but are generally full pretty quickly. Plus, they're near residence halls and I'm pretty sure some fools leave their cars parked there permanently. I usually park somewhere in the black lot, though it's not uncommon for spaces to be taken almost back to Tropicana if your first class is at 11 AM or later. You can sometimes sneak into the Red lot, but that's a hike for law school (though awesome for the gym or decent for the UG CBC building) I've never parked in P or O, but they don't look like horrible options.

If there's an event going on, as happens several times per year (Rodeo, MWC conference, whatever) all bets are off. There's a spot somewhere, but it might be in BFE.

On a motorcycle, however, the options are much better.

If you click 'faculty parking' and look at C, there's a spot reserved for motorcycles in the corner there. All of them, not just faculty. This is as close to the law school as I think you're going to get. Another good option is back in N, where there is another two sections for motorcycles available. It's also not right out on a major street like the C section, though there's a guard near C and not N. There's also additional motorcycle parking in student parking section U. Between those three areas, you should have no problem parking a bike. Additionally, they're virtually unaffected by big events, so you can cruise right into your usual spot and laugh at the poor suckers who parked a mile away.

One odd word of warning that is kinda buried in the parking rules: You can't park a bike in a car spot. Even if you have a car pass on your account. It's stupid, but they enforce it.

This answer looks like a logic game :p

yo!
Posts: 653
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:11 pm

Re: UNLV/Boyd c/o 2013

Postby yo! » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:36 pm

Okay, this settles it. I'm definitely not selling my street bike. Thanks for the help VR.

User avatar
Vegas_Rebel
Posts: 327
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:18 am

Re: UNLV/Boyd c/o 2013

Postby Vegas_Rebel » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:20 pm

yo! wrote:Okay, this settles it. I'm definitely not selling my street bike. Thanks for the help VR.


Sure thing.

Even if you end up not riding your bike to school, you might appreciate having your bike to de-stress a little from law school. The surrounding area is much more scenic than you might think for a desert, and there's a good group of riders who head out frequently. Check out 702sportbikes.com if you want. Despite the name, cruisers, dirtbikes and other are welcome. If you're into the MC Club scene, there's connections to those as well.

yo!
Posts: 653
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:11 pm

Re: UNLV/Boyd c/o 2013

Postby yo! » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:50 pm

A few more questions VR:

How do students go about getting tickets to bball/football games?

Do students get any type of discount for special events at Thomas & Mack or Sam Boyd Stadium? (ie: supercross, monster trucks)

User avatar
Vegas_Rebel
Posts: 327
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:18 am

Re: UNLV/Boyd c/o 2013

Postby Vegas_Rebel » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:50 pm

yo! wrote:A few more questions VR:

How do students go about getting tickets to bball/football games?

Do students get any type of discount for special events at Thomas & Mack or Sam Boyd Stadium? (ie: supercross, monster trucks)


Student games are super easy. You sign up on the T&M website, and you print out your tickets from there. I know for sure Football and baseball is free, and I believe basketball is as well. Michigan may have a 100,000 person stadium, but UNLV has seats available on the rail at the 50 yard line about half the time.

Tournament games cost money, but sometimes the school gives tickets away to the first X students who show up.

Students get discounts to some other events, but not others. If you want to see the Monster Jam World Finals, I'm afraid you'll have to pay full price :( Ditto for WWE Smackdown and most boxing matches.

On the other hand, I know several special events, even off campus, have discounts. For instance, when Bill Clinton came to speak at one of the casinos, students got 2 for 1 tickets. In other words, it's sort of hit and miss.

User avatar
Vegas_Rebel
Posts: 327
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:18 am

Re: UNLV/Boyd c/o 2013

Postby Vegas_Rebel » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:13 pm

I attended a contracts class this morning taught by Professor Rapoport, want wanted to share some of my observations.

First, the class:

In terms of atmosphere, the class was very casual, both in form and appearance. Most (nearly all) students had laptops, and there are power connectors and wired networking plugs for every seat. Dress varied from one student in a shirt and tie to most students in casual dress (though I didn't see any sleepware, like I sometimes do in UG classes.) Everyone seemed to be laughing and smiling, and even occasionally having quietish side conversations with other students, despite the proximity to finals. Indeed, the class is one of the funniest I've attended, both because of the outrageous hypos (cupcake buying bridezillas, cat sales on the internet, whether a job as a call girl is inferior to a job as a prostitute for the purposed of breach of contract, etc.) and because the professor made an effort to crack jokes (that were actually funny) often. Despite the laid back atmosphere, I think everyone took something from the class. I know I did.

This seemed to be a review class, in preparation for finals. The professor assigned groups of students to write hypos (during the previous class), which those groups then presented to the class (today) and the class then discussed. There was a lot of student participation (in the form of the teacher asking questions and requiring answers) but participation seemed mostly voluntary, and the interactions were not at all hostile. Professor Rapoport walked around a lot, often walking right up to the student she was asking the question of such that, while there was a whole class as audience, there was a more personal feel between the professor and the student answering.

During class it was mentioned that this final, at least, is a 72 hour take home exam limited to roughly 12 pages (I don't know if that's double spaced or not.)

Finally, I was impressed (I don't want to say surprised) by the level of discourse in the class. To hear some people on TLS tell it, if one doesn't get into the T20 (T14, T10, T6, HYS, etc) then one fails at lawl school and should throw in the towel, or at least find something else to do. Yet, halfway down T2 the students in this class seemed bright, focused, and had interesting distinctions and well reasoned arguments for taking one side or another in a hypo. I've never sat in on a Harvard Law class, but if there is a huge distinction, I'd be surprised. Even if there is, I'm happy with the intellectual level of discourse displayed by the students in this class, and I think that 1L will be both a challenge and kinda fun.

Now, about the school in general:

I spent some time speaking with a 1L who is running for Student Bar Association President (and if weren't so terrible with names, I would thank him by name.) Reports from him were encouraging. Many students find a pretty good balance between 1L and real life, such that people actually do other things besides grind out homework during their first year. Many 1L's (most?) have something lined up for the summer, from clerkships to work abroad. This student didn't know in particular how the 2L's were faring ("it's rough out there for everyone") but emphasized that there are plenty of law jobs out there, even if not all of them are big-firm, high-paying positions. Even in T2 (or at least at UNLV) there doesn't seem to be any reason to graduate from law school and get forced into doing something non-law related. Because the school is so small, and because it is the only one in NV, there is a great opportunity to network with partners, judges, and legislators from across the state. That, in fact, was one of the primary reasons I chose to attend Boyd. There seem to be two contract professors at Boyd, and a third for part-time students. I think I'd really enjoy spending a year learning contracts from professor Rapoport, though I haven't sat in on the other professor's class.

All in all, good things I think. If I left something out, let me know and I'll try and remember other specifics.

User avatar
PhantaManta
Posts: 276
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:45 pm

Re: UNLV/Boyd c/o 2013

Postby PhantaManta » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:15 pm

Vegas_Rebel wrote:I attended a contracts class this morning taught by Professor Rapoport, want wanted to share some of my observations.

First, the class:

In terms of atmosphere, the class was very casual, both in form and appearance. Most (nearly all) students had laptops, and there are power connectors and wired networking plugs for every seat. Dress varied from one student in a shirt and tie to most students in casual dress (though I didn't see any sleepware, like I sometimes do in UG classes.) Everyone seemed to be laughing and smiling, and even occasionally having quietish side conversations with other students, despite the proximity to finals. Indeed, the class is one of the funniest I've attended, both because of the outrageous hypos (cupcake buying bridezillas, cat sales on the internet, whether a job as a call girl is inferior to a job as a prostitute for the purposed of breach of contract, etc.) and because the professor made an effort to crack jokes (that were actually funny) often. Despite the laid back atmosphere, I think everyone took something from the class. I know I did.

This seemed to be a review class, in preparation for finals. The professor assigned groups of students to write hypos (during the previous class), which those groups then presented to the class (today) and the class then discussed. There was a lot of student participation (in the form of the teacher asking questions and requiring answers) but participation seemed mostly voluntary, and the interactions were not at all hostile. Professor Rapoport walked around a lot, often walking right up to the student she was asking the question of such that, while there was a whole class as audience, there was a more personal feel between the professor and the student answering.

During class it was mentioned that this final, at least, is a 72 hour take home exam limited to roughly 12 pages (I don't know if that's double spaced or not.)

Finally, I was impressed (I don't want to say surprised) by the level of discourse in the class. To hear some people on TLS tell it, if one doesn't get into the T20 (T14, T10, T6, HYS, etc) then one fails at lawl school and should throw in the towel, or at least find something else to do. Yet, halfway down T2 the students in this class seemed bright, focused, and had interesting distinctions and well reasoned arguments for taking one side or another in a hypo. I've never sat in on a Harvard Law class, but if there is a huge distinction, I'd be surprised. Even if there is, I'm happy with the intellectual level of discourse displayed by the students in this class, and I think that 1L will be both a challenge and kinda fun.

Now, about the school in general:

I spent some time speaking with a 1L who is running for Student Bar Association President (and if weren't so terrible with names, I would thank him by name.) Reports from him were encouraging. Many students find a pretty good balance between 1L and real life, such that people actually do other things besides grind out homework during their first year. Many 1L's (most?) have something lined up for the summer, from clerkships to work abroad. This student didn't know in particular how the 2L's were faring ("it's rough out there for everyone") but emphasized that there are plenty of law jobs out there, even if not all of them are big-firm, high-paying positions. Even in T2 (or at least at UNLV) there doesn't seem to be any reason to graduate from law school and get forced into doing something non-law related. Because the school is so small, and because it is the only one in NV, there is a great opportunity to network with partners, judges, and legislators from across the state. That, in fact, was one of the primary reasons I chose to attend Boyd. There seem to be two contract professors at Boyd, and a third for part-time students. I think I'd really enjoy spending a year learning contracts from professor Rapoport, though I haven't sat in on the other professor's class.

All in all, good things I think. If I left something out, let me know and I'll try and remember other specifics.



Interesting :) I really want to visit asap, but plane tickets from NY to LV are generally expensive on the weekend :(

User avatar
Vegas_Rebel
Posts: 327
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:18 am

Re: UNLV/Boyd c/o 2013

Postby Vegas_Rebel » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:22 pm

PhantaManta wrote:Interesting :) I really want to visit asap, but plane tickets from NY to LV are generally expensive on the weekend :(


Sidestep.com had some around $214 over the last few days, but they tend to be Tues / Thurs flights. You might keep an eye on that site, though, as I generally find the best deals through there.

yo!
Posts: 653
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:11 pm

Re: UNLV/Boyd c/o 2013

Postby yo! » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:03 pm

I sat in on Rapoport's class a few months ago and I pretty much agree with everything John said. One of the more funny parts was when the class was discussing a roach infestation case: one student actually argued that there was an expectation of roaches because the house was in New Jersey :lol: If I attend, I really hope to take her class.

User avatar
PhantaManta
Posts: 276
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:45 pm

Re: UNLV/Boyd c/o 2013

Postby PhantaManta » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:37 pm

I think it's UNLV for me. Wooo! Wooo!

Haskell83
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:29 pm

Re: UNLV/Boyd c/o 2013

Postby Haskell83 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:58 pm

PhantaManta wrote:I think it's UNLV for me. Wooo! Wooo!


Good news. Are you headed down to the ASD next weekend?

User avatar
PhantaManta
Posts: 276
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:45 pm

Re: UNLV/Boyd c/o 2013

Postby PhantaManta » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:03 pm

Haskell83 wrote:
PhantaManta wrote:I think it's UNLV for me. Wooo! Wooo!


Good news. Are you headed down to the ASD next weekend?


Unfortunately not, I don't think. I would really like to but the trip would cost a lot of money I need to save for the big move out there. A lot to do. Anyone have any apartment hunting tips for las vegas? When is ideal for me to try and get an apartment? I don't want to wait to long to get one, but I also don't want to jump the gun before I actually pass my final classes of undergrad :)

User avatar
Vegas_Rebel
Posts: 327
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:18 am

Re: UNLV/Boyd c/o 2013

Postby Vegas_Rebel » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:44 am

PhantaManta wrote:I think it's UNLV for me. Wooo! Wooo!


Great 'tar, and Congrats. :)

EDIT: Apartments: Anytime is decent, because Vegas is not much of a college town (and so there aren't huge rushes just before school like in, say, Ann Arbor, etc) and is a transient enough town that people move around frequently.

I'd budget yourself a month or so to look around, but most of the apartments I've seen have move in specials and vacancies. Rent.com works well (and gets you $100 back), and I've found that apartments here will negotiate somewhat on price, especially if you let them know you're looking around.

I posted a couple areas to look earlier (ITT, I think, or else the other UNLV thread) but coming and driving around for a while is really the best plan.

User avatar
PhantaManta
Posts: 276
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:45 pm

Re: UNLV/Boyd c/o 2013

Postby PhantaManta » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:20 pm

Thanks!

Right now I am just making a list of apartments that seem like they might be okay, and will try and keep an eye on which have apartments available around the time I wanna move out there. I dunno exactly how I am going to go around and visit them, but I guess I would have to rent a car.

User avatar
PhantaManta
Posts: 276
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:45 pm

Re: UNLV/Boyd c/o 2013

Postby PhantaManta » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:02 pm

Can you walk right from the School of Law to the Hardrock Casino? :)

User avatar
Vegas_Rebel
Posts: 327
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:18 am

Re: UNLV/Boyd c/o 2013

Postby Vegas_Rebel » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:14 pm

PhantaManta wrote:Can you walk right from the School of Law to the Hardrock Casino? :)


Sure. It'd be a hike, but no problem :)

PhantaManta wrote:Thanks!

Right now I am just making a list of apartments that seem like they might be okay, and will try and keep an eye on which have apartments available around the time I wanna move out there. I dunno exactly how I am going to go around and visit them, but I guess I would have to rent a car.


I'm moving before law school, but I live at Camden Pointe now. I'm about 15-20 minutes from the school (maybe 10 if I hit every light green) and the complex is nice. Rent is decent, ~725 for a one bedroom with basic cable included.

Renting a car is probably your best option. If you look around teh intarweb, you can find some decent discounts.

EDIT: BTW, are you on the FB group?

User avatar
PhantaManta
Posts: 276
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:45 pm

Re: UNLV/Boyd c/o 2013

Postby PhantaManta » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:57 pm

Yeah, if you are who I think you are I already have you on my friends list. I have an orange cone on my head.

Edit: And about apartments, I've got a small list going, but they mostly all have bad reputations. Basically there are a lot of apartments that cost like 500-650 around the school, and those seem to be the worst (based on peoples comments).

I have seen a few for like 575-675 south/east of the school, below the airport and on the north-west tip of Henderson, but they mostly had poor reviews as well. I feel like I can deal with a 'bad' area, but some of these comments are like "Don't stay here! roach infested!" and that scares me. :P

Maybe it'd be better to try and get a roomate or two for a really nice place and split the costs that way, buttttttt I was looking foward to not doing that ;P.

I guess the other option is just to go for the 650-725 range and try and find something relatively nice.

The first place I saw (on craigs list) was Oasis Place, it is on Sierra Vista Dr. tho and I read on the internet that that street is like the biggest drug/gang street??? I can never tell if people exaggerate these things.

User avatar
Vegas_Rebel
Posts: 327
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:18 am

Re: UNLV/Boyd c/o 2013

Postby Vegas_Rebel » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:53 pm

PhantaManta wrote:Yeah, if you are who I think you are I already have you on my friends list. I have an orange cone on my head.

Edit: And about apartments, I've got a small list going, but they mostly all have bad reputations. Basically there are a lot of apartments that cost like 500-650 around the school, and those seem to be the worst (based on peoples comments).

I have seen a few for like 575-675 south/east of the school, below the airport and on the north-west tip of Henderson, but they mostly had poor reviews as well. I feel like I can deal with a 'bad' area, but some of these comments are like "Don't stay here! roach infested!" and that scares me. :P

Maybe it'd be better to try and get a roomate or two for a really nice place and split the costs that way, buttttttt I was looking foward to not doing that ;P.

I guess the other option is just to go for the 650-725 range and try and find something relatively nice.

The first place I saw (on craigs list) was Oasis Place, it is on Sierra Vista Dr. tho and I read on the internet that that street is like the biggest drug/gang street??? I can never tell if people exaggerate these things.


The airport / UNLV / Strip area is generally not great, but there are pockets of nice areas about. Oasis Place looks nice on rent.com, at least. OP is near where my mentorship is, so if I remember I'll drive by Friday morning and take a look and maybe some pics.

Epic cone, btw :)

User avatar
PhantaManta
Posts: 276
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:45 pm

Re: UNLV/Boyd c/o 2013

Postby PhantaManta » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:01 am

That's nice of you but don't worry about taking pics I am sure you are busy enough :D.

User avatar
Vegas_Rebel
Posts: 327
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:18 am

Re: UNLV/Boyd c/o 2013

Postby Vegas_Rebel » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:32 pm

PhantaManta wrote:That's nice of you but don't worry about taking pics I am sure you are busy enough :D.


Tru dat. I figured I'd offer, though.

In pic-related news, here's a snapshot from the top of the Tropicana parking garage a few minutes ago:

--ImageRemoved--

It's a little (lot) more impressive at night, but you get the idea.

Haskell83
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:29 pm

Re: UNLV/Boyd c/o 2013

Postby Haskell83 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:55 pm

Went down a while ago to look at apts/houses. Most were along the Boulder Hwy and the wife just won't go for any of that. We're looking at the 89129 area near family. The drive's going to be about 25-35 mins to the school. She'll be working while I'm in school so we are looking for a nice 2bdrm apt or a smaller singfam house. We'll be looking around some more this weekend.

User avatar
PhantaManta
Posts: 276
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:45 pm

Re: UNLV/Boyd c/o 2013

Postby PhantaManta » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:18 pm

Very nice :D

For anyone else who wants to see photos of Las Vegas, check out the Las Vegas forum @ city-data.com, it is stickied near the top, called Las Vegas Photos. It is mostly scenery of the surrounding mountains and such, but it is gorgeous! :D

User avatar
PhantaManta
Posts: 276
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:45 pm

Re: UNLV/Boyd c/o 2013

Postby PhantaManta » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:53 am

Ok, so I have heard it is best to generally avoid having to commute across Las Vegas Boulevard. How true is this? I am debating whether to seriously consider apartments west of there, but if the commute is a huge pain, I will just focus elsewhere.

User avatar
Vegas_Rebel
Posts: 327
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:18 am

Re: UNLV/Boyd c/o 2013

Postby Vegas_Rebel » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:00 am

PhantaManta wrote:Ok, so I have heard it is best to generally avoid having to commute across Las Vegas Boulevard. How true is this? I am debating whether to seriously consider apartments west of there, but if the commute is a huge pain, I will just focus elsewhere.


Don't commute down LVBD - traffic is ugly.

Crossing LVBD, however (on, say, Tropicana) is no big deal. It's just a light.

Traffic may be heavier around LVBD at odd hours (most all weekend, rush hour, etc) than on some side street in Henderson, but it's no busier than the freeway or most other major intersections (Sahara & Decatur, etc.)

I've both crossed and not crossed LVBD during my commutes, and I haven't noticed a significant difference. there's a whole lot west of LVBD, and I wouldn't consider crossing LVBD any sort of impediment. If you're on the outer rim of the city, you can always take the 215 and get off near the airport, which is almost right across from the school.

I would, however, avoid I-15 if at all possible. That road is, and always has been, a shitshow at most any time of day or night. If construction ever ends, look for snowflakes in hell.

Haskell83
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:29 pm

Re: UNLV/Boyd c/o 2013

Postby Haskell83 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:14 pm

UNLV's perspective on the new rankings:

--LinkRemoved--




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest