UNLV/Boyd c/o 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
AsexualChocolate

Re: UNLV/Boyd c/o 2013

Postby AsexualChocolate » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:49 am

TaliaT wrote:
AsexualChocolate wrote:Talia,
Any progress with Posner's How Judges Think? I just finished Posner's Cardozo: A Study in Reputation which is explicitly written for lawyers and non-lawyers. He often has asides and footnotes for those of us with the intellectual handicap. I'm guessing How Judges Think is going to be more law-knowledge based, but I'm interested to hear your thoughts. Let me know.

-AC

To tell you the truth...it read more along the lines for those that are lawyers. Not sure if that makes me seem less "worthy" to be a lawyer. I didnt get much through it...went on to other things and started working again which means less emphasis on reading after work as of right now.

Id be interested in trying out Cardozo: A Study in Reputation however.

Honestly, don't waste your time (or money) with Cardozo. There are so many better things to read. And, btw, we go to law school to become lawyerly. We can't reasonably be expected to be laywer-worthy (and to understand the highest level of law speak) at this stage of the game. What else have you read thus far?

TaliaT

Postby TaliaT » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:52 pm

AsexualChocolate wrote:
TaliaT wrote:
AsexualChocolate wrote:Talia,
Any progress with Posner's How Judges Think? I just finished Posner's Cardozo: A Study in Reputation which is explicitly written for lawyers and non-lawyers. He often has asides and footnotes for those of us with the intellectual handicap. I'm guessing How Judges Think is going to be more law-knowledge based, but I'm interested to hear your thoughts. Let me know.

-AC

To tell you the truth...it read more along the lines for those that are lawyers. Not sure if that makes me seem less "worthy" to be a lawyer. I didnt get much through it...went on to other things and started working again which means less emphasis on reading after work as of right now.

Id be interested in trying out Cardozo: A Study in Reputation however.

Honestly, don't waste your time (or money) with Cardozo. There are so many better things to read. And, btw, we go to law school to become lawyerly. We can't reasonably be expected to be laywer-worthy (and to understand the highest level of law speak) at this stage of the game. What else have you read thus far?

Starting one of the "In a Nutshell" books tonight. Forgot which one it was...believe its "Law School In a Nutshell" or something to that extent. Its an easy reader thats for sure. I was going to get into The Bramble Bush but it doesnt seem all that intruiging. Well see if I get through this book and then MAYBE do Bramble Bush.

What about you?

TaliaT

Postby TaliaT » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:16 pm

So to those of you that have moved here thus far...how are you liking it?

To those that are moving here soon...what are you looking forward to the most?

Haskell83

Postby Haskell83 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:57 am

TaliaT wrote:So to those of you that have moved here thus far...how are you liking it?

To those that are moving here soon...what are you looking forward to the most?

It'll be great to finally get out of Reno for a while. I've been in this tiny fish bowl for far too long now.

PhantaManta

Postby PhantaManta » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:08 pm

Nope not there yet, will be on the 28th.

I am NOT looking forward to the process of doing a million things and forms and inspections at the Nevada DMV.

I AM looking forward to the first day of classes. This >year long process will be over August 16th ;). Also I am looking forward to trying cool Vegas restaurants, meeting Vegas friends, and getting some poker in at the Venetian, Bellagio, and the Aria before school starts.

AsexualChocolate

Postby AsexualChocolate » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:46 am

I'm anxious as hell to get registered, get my class schedule, and get the final approval on finaid. I also can't wait for my last day of work (this next Friday), being fully moved-in to my new place in Vegas (ie Henderson), and having my seemingly endless pre law school to-do list completed. It will be awesome to only have to focus on school again.

autohome

Postby autohome » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:20 pm

Hey fellow 1Ls. I just started to look for housing, might be a bit late. I was just wondering if you guys know any good apartments, like the the name of the actual apartment; I am a out-stater, but i know law students generally live in Henderson, since the campus surroundings aint that great. Also, any of you guys looking for a roommate or know someone who is? Thanks folks; cant beleive school is starting soon!

historyholly

Postby historyholly » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:22 pm

autohome wrote:Hey fellow 1Ls. I just started to look for housing, might be a bit late. I was just wondering if you guys know any good apartments, like the the name of the actual apartment; I am a out-stater, but i know law students generally live in Henderson, since the campus surroundings aint that great. Also, any of you guys looking for a roommate or know someone who is? Thanks folks; cant beleive school is starting soon!

If you have facebook, I would recommend joining the class of 2013 page. There are listings for housing and roommates on there.

historyholly

Postby historyholly » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:18 pm

Hmm, an optional assignment: reading "The Happy Lawyer." Anyone else get this email and are you going to do it? I might spend my borders gift card on it. Let the spending of money begin :)

Vegas_Rebel

Postby Vegas_Rebel » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:51 pm

historyholly wrote:Hmm, an optional assignment: reading "The Happy Lawyer." Anyone else get this email and are you going to do it? I might spend my borders gift card on it. Let the spending of money begin :)

Psh. I know why I'm going to law school; drugs and money :p

Seriously, though, I dunno how useful it's going to be. Do people ever really change their expectations (especially via a book like this?) I got the email, but since the library (public, undergrad, and law) doesn't have a copy, I'm not going to spend the money. Slacking on my first assignment; for shame.

In other news, two good bits of information:

For the WL folks: All is not lost. A couple people are beginning to drop, so they may start looking to the WL in the next few weeks (per NN and Elizabeth Karl this morning.) I wouldn't expect them to go all that deep into the WL, but I'd guess that ~5-10 will get tapped.

For the 'In' folks: Registration email is coming out in the next few days, or next Tuesday latest. Class registration and administrative info should be included, along with orientation info and other goodies. Should be a pretty informative bit.

historyholly

Postby historyholly » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:29 pm

Vegas_Rebel wrote:
historyholly wrote:Hmm, an optional assignment: reading "The Happy Lawyer." Anyone else get this email and are you going to do it? I might spend my borders gift card on it. Let the spending of money begin :)

Seriously, though, I dunno how useful it's going to be. Do people ever really change their expectations (especially via a book like this?) I got the email, but since the library (public, undergrad, and law) doesn't have a copy, I'm not going to spend the money. Slacking on my first assignment; for shame.

For the WL folks: All is not lost. A couple people are beginning to drop, so they may start looking to the WL in the next few weeks (per NN and Elizabeth Karl this morning.) I wouldn't expect them to go all that deep into the WL, but I'd guess that ~5-10 will get tapped.

For the 'In' folks: Registration email is coming out in the next few days, or next Tuesday latest. Class registration and administrative info should be included, along with orientation info and other goodies. Should be a pretty informative bit.

Do you hang out with Nathan Neeley? :P

TaliaT

Postby TaliaT » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:01 am

Vegas_Rebel wrote:

Excellent news update thanks dude! Ill be bothering Nathan once again this week...good guy but im sure hes tired of hearing from me.

Holly - He may be best buddies with Nathan...hmmm...who do I need to sleep with to get into this school?!?!?!

Vegas_Rebel

Postby Vegas_Rebel » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:09 am

historyholly wrote:Do you hang out with Nathan Neeley? :P

Haha. Even he said he saw me too much :p

I've just had a bit of a hassle getting all my paperwork in, and since I'm local I just go hand it in.

TaliaT wrote:Holly - He may be best buddies with Nathan...hmmm...who do I need to sleep with to get into this school?!?!?!

Shit. I should have read the whole thread first :P

AsexualChocolate

Postby AsexualChocolate » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:20 pm

Vegas_Rebel wrote:

I've just had a bit of a hassle getting all my paperwork in, and since I'm local I just go hand it in.

TaliaT wrote:Holly - He may be best buddies with Nathan...hmmm...who do I need to sleep with to get into this school?!?!?!

Funny story... I'm actually best friends with Neely and he was telling me the other day how much clout I hold with him... :lol:

historyholly

Postby historyholly » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:41 pm

AsexualChocolate wrote:
Vegas_Rebel wrote:

Funny story... I'm actually best friends with Neely and he was telling me the other day how much clout I hold with him... :lol:

Lies.

PhantaManta

Postby PhantaManta » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:08 am

About to move NY->LV today. So will be maintaining radio silence for a while ;)

Vegas_Rebel

Postby Vegas_Rebel » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:35 am

Have a safe trip, and don't let the heat get you down when you arrive. Moving stuff in the summertime is the pits.

Vegas_Rebel

Postby Vegas_Rebel » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:39 pm

Registration emails are out, including class schedules. :)

PhantaManta

Postby PhantaManta » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:19 pm

What groups is everyone in? All my classes except one are section 2.

Also, a random tidbit for those who are still waiting:

Entering Class of 2010

* 155 members

Finally in Las Vegas... long drive. My cat meowed the entire night in Omaha Nebraska and I only slept two hours. Also, there is a town in Nebraska called "Beaver Crossing" :).
Last edited by PhantaManta on Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

historyholly

Postby historyholly » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:38 pm

So, who is in section 1 with me? Let's see if they stacked all us scholarships kids together. Sad to see we are not in same section Phanta :(

PhantaManta

Postby PhantaManta » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:42 pm

historyholly wrote:So, who is in section 1 with me? Let's see if they stacked all us scholarships kids together. Sad to see we are not in same section Phanta :(

:(. I guess it's only fair. They can't let all the win of the UNLV/Boyd c/o 2013 posters reside in one section ;).

On another note, my name is Michael and there are NINE Michael's in this entering class. I am used to having a common name, but c'mon!

AsexualChocolate

Postby AsexualChocolate » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:47 pm

PhantaManta wrote:
historyholly wrote:So, who is in section 1 with me? Let's see if they stacked all us scholarships kids together. Sad to see we are not in same section Phanta :(

:(. I guess it's only fair. They can't let all the win of the UNLV/Boyd c/o 2013 posters reside in one section ;).

On another note, my name is Michael and there are NINE Michael's in this entering class. I am used to having a common name, but c'mon!

Maybe we could stand to lose a few Michaels for a Talia...? :wink:

I know another scholarship kid who is in Section 2. I'm in section 1 (which I figured was the stupid kid section until I saw your post Holly). What section is everybody else in? Rebel?

Right now the score for scholarship kids appears to be:
Section 1: 1
Section 2: 2

Vegas_Rebel

Postby Vegas_Rebel » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:27 pm

I'm in section two as well, except lawyering process in section 4.

What's everyone's mix look like? Two seems to be Civ Pro/Torts/Crim/Prop.

AsexualChocolate

Postby AsexualChocolate » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:27 pm

Scholarship kids in Section 1: 1
Scholarship kids in Section 2: 3

Looks like I've got a decent chance of being ranked #2 in the class (behind Holly of course)... :wink:

historyholly

Postby historyholly » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:15 am

I am sure you will give me a run for my money Chocolate. With everyone going to section two, things are looking good for the both of us.

Vegas, that is the mix for our section as well, along with with the writing class. I bought my books last night and nearly wept when I saw my devastated bank account.

Oh, just as a tip, we lucky students get Amazon Prime for free for a year. This means you get free shipping for a year! :) Everyone should go get one.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”