WUSTL Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
najumobi

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby najumobi » Tue May 18, 2010 9:04 pm

romothesavior wrote:Anybody thinking of doing a meal plan next year?]
it doesn't look like there's an authentic meal plan for grad students, where one buys a certain amount of meals. we had the same kinda thing at unc....you have a number of meals you can purchase (200/semester or 14/week) and then you have flex dollars that you can buy and have on a card that's equivalent to dollars but purchases with it aren't subject to taxes. it looks like wustl grad students just have the option of adding funds to a card for purchasing food. it's still good since you don't have to worry about cash or continuous debiting from a checking account and purchases are tax-free. i'm sure i'll be putting some money on the card for my semester lunches at least.

ec2xs

Postby ec2xs » Tue May 18, 2010 9:07 pm

Just curious: is anybody here concerned about all the gossip about WUSTL struggling to place graduates? Or gaming the rankings/stats?

I have no idea if there is any merit to these sorts of things (they could just me message board fodder), I was just interested in hearing everybody's take on them.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue May 18, 2010 9:08 pm

najumobi wrote:
it doesn't look like there's an authentic meal plan for grad students, where one buys a certain amount of meals. we had the same kinda thing at unc....you have a number of meals you can purchase (200/semester or 14/week) and then you have flex dollars that you can buy and have on a card that's equivalent to dollars but purchases with it aren't subject to taxes. it looks like wustl grad students just have the option of adding funds to a card for purchasing food. it's still good since you don't have to worry about cash or continuous debiting from a checking account and purchases are tax-free. i'm sure i'll be putting some money on the card for my semester lunches at least.

Yeah I found that too after a little more searching. I think I'll be doing about $30 a week for meals so I can get lunch at school.

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Tue May 18, 2010 9:10 pm

ec2xs wrote:Just curious: is anybody here concerned about all the gossip about WUSTL struggling to place graduates? Or gaming the rankings/stats?

I have no idea if there is any merit to these sorts of things (they could just me message board fodder), I was just interested in hearing everybody's take on them.
can you elaborate? is this something above and beyond what is usually said about wustl or nd/wustl/uiuc competitiveness in chicago ITE?

ec2xs

Postby ec2xs » Tue May 18, 2010 9:17 pm

najumobi wrote:
ec2xs wrote:Just curious: is anybody here concerned about all the gossip about WUSTL struggling to place graduates? Or gaming the rankings/stats?

can you elaborate? is this something above and beyond what is usually said about wustl or nd/wustl/uiuc competitiveness in chicago ITE?

More along the lines of a lack of a broad range of employers coming to WUSTL for OCIs, bad placement, lack of networking, etc. Again, I don't know if any of it has merit, but I wanted to gauge the general attitude towards this. It seems to stir up a lot of debate on *cough* other, less aesthetically pleasing websites.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue May 18, 2010 9:44 pm

A couple of things...

1. I had some of these same concerns (in fact I was in downright panic mode), and I spent 30 minutes on the phone with Dean Spivey a few weeks ago. Every interaction I have had with Spivey has been a very positive one, and I can tell he really cares about the students. The man is fantastic at what he does and busts his ass to get Wash U's name to employers. I asked him a lot of questions (even some tough ones about OCI, numbers fudging, employment and salary data, etc.) and he really alleviated a lot of my concerns. I don't believe WUSTL's people are dishonest or anything like that. If you want more specific info, PM me for details or maybe even contact the career services office and discuss it with them yourself.

2. They've brought in a good number of firms to OCI in the last year and their career services office truly is one of the best/hardest working. They also have quite a few off-campus interviewing programs, as well as a big interviewing program for small/mid law.

3. Their biglaw placement isn't fantastic, and if you want the really prestigious big law firms, it probably isn't the school for you. But they will place very well in non-NLJ 250 firms that pay in the lower 6 figure range in smaller markets like Indianapolis, St. Louis, KC, etc. I talked with Dean Spivey quite a bit about this. WUSTL's "brand" isn't typically prestigious biglaw in NYC or DC, so it isn't surprising that their NLJ 250 numbers lag behind their ranking, but they are working hard at improving them.

4. Of all the Wash U students on TLS, not one has been freaking out about job prospects. A few have said that its portability isn't as strong as they had hoped for, but no one is ready to drop out or jump off of AB Hall or anything like that. Every WUSTL student I've talked to on here and in person has had nothing but good things to say about the school, and they all seem to feel relatively confident about their job prospects. (Obviously not everyone is going to get their first choice, and it is a tough economy, but things at WUSTL don't sound too bleak.)

5. Finally, and most importantly, don't rely on the CSO, OCI, the alumni network, etc. to find you a job. YOU are responsible for your own career hunt, and you are the most important advacate for yourself. Network, bust your butt to get good grades, kiss-butt to some professors, and then network some more. WUSTL is a great school, but it isn't likely to land you a biglaw gig on a silver platter, nor is it going to land you at Wachtell. You've gotta be realistic, and you've gotta put in the legwork.

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Tue May 18, 2010 10:08 pm

romothesavior wrote:A couple of things...

1. I had some of these same concerns (in fact I was in downright panic mode), and I spent 30 minutes on the phone with Dean Spivey a few weeks ago. Every interaction I have had with Spivey has been a very positive one, and I can tell he really cares about the students. The man is fantastic at what he does and busts his ass to get Wash U's name to employers. I asked him a lot of questions (even some tough ones about OCI, numbers fudging, employment and salary data, etc.) and he really alleviated a lot of my concerns. I don't believe WUSTL's people are dishonest or anything like that. If you want more specific info, PM me for details or maybe even contact the career services office and discuss it with them yourself.

2. They've brought in a good number of firms to OCI in the last year and their career services office truly is one of the best/hardest working. They also have quite a few off-campus interviewing programs, as well as a big interviewing program for small/mid law.

3. Their biglaw placement isn't fantastic, and if you want the really prestigious big law firms, it probably isn't the school for you. But they will place very well in non-NLJ 250 firms that pay in the lower 6 figure range in smaller markets like Indianapolis, St. Louis, KC, etc. I talked with Dean Spivey quite a bit about this. WUSTL's "brand" isn't typically prestigious biglaw in NYC or DC, so it isn't surprising that their NLJ 250 numbers lag behind their ranking, but they are working hard at improving them.

4. Of all the Wash U students on TLS, not one has been freaking out about job prospects. A few have said that its portability isn't as strong as they had hoped for, but no one is ready to drop out or jump off of AB Hall or anything like that. Every WUSTL student I've talked to on here and in person has had nothing but good things to say about the school, and they all seem to feel relatively confident about their job prospects. (Obviously not everyone is going to get their first choice, and it is a tough economy, but things at WUSTL don't sound too bleak.)

5. Finally, and most importantly, don't rely on the CSO, OCI, the alumni network, etc. to find you a job. YOU are responsible for your own career hunt, and you are the most important advacate for yourself. Network, bust your butt to get good grades, kiss-butt to some professors, and then network some more. WUSTL is a great school, but it isn't likely to land you a biglaw gig on a silver platter, nor is it going to land you at Wachtell. You've gotta be realistic, and you've gotta put in the legwork.

Great post.

La Grind Date

Postby La Grind Date » Tue May 18, 2010 10:11 pm

romothesavior wrote:5. Finally, and most importantly, don't rely on the CSO, OCI, the alumni network, etc. to find you a job. YOU are responsible for your own career hunt, and you are the most important advacate for yourself. Network, bust your butt to get good grades, kiss-butt to some professors, and then network some more. WUSTL is a great school, but it isn't likely to land you a biglaw gig on a silver platter, nor is it going to land you at Wachtell. You've gotta be realistic, and you've gotta put in the legwork.

ec2xs:
There are a lot of WashU haters out there! Fuck em.

If you check out the firms that recruited Wash U students in 2009, you'll find NYC's most prestigious and high-paying firms. http://law.wustl.edu/career_services/do ... loyers.pdf
Last edited by La Grind Date on Tue May 18, 2010 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

La Grind Date

Postby La Grind Date » Tue May 18, 2010 10:18 pm

I don't want to suggest that critiques of WashU are without merit. Still, when I think of cats that bash WashU these boards, lyrics from Sinatra's "That's Life" come to mind: "I said that's life, / and as funny as it may seem / Some people get their kicks, / Stompin' on a dream."

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed May 19, 2010 1:28 am

La Grind Date wrote:
romothesavior wrote:5. Finally, and most importantly, don't rely on the CSO, OCI, the alumni network, etc. to find you a job. YOU are responsible for your own career hunt, and you are the most important advacate for yourself. Network, bust your butt to get good grades, kiss-butt to some professors, and then network some more. WUSTL is a great school, but it isn't likely to land you a biglaw gig on a silver platter, nor is it going to land you at Wachtell. You've gotta be realistic, and you've gotta put in the legwork.

ec2xs:
There are a lot of WashU haters out there! Fuck em.

If you check out the firms that recruited Wash U students in 2009, you'll find NYC's most prestigious and high-paying firms. http://law.wustl.edu/career_services/do ... loyers.pdf

I asked the CSO about that list, and it includes all employers that "recruited" WashU students "over the last couple of years," so it's definitely not a 2009 list. And their definition of "recruit" is pretty broad: it includes simply collecting resumes. That list has a lot of very prestigious firms, and when I read it, I was instantly suspicious. I do think this list is misleading, but WUSTL isn't the only school that puts out lists like this. It's standard law school practice, and no school is going to hurt themselves by being completely honest when the rest of the competition is twisting data to gain an advantage. If you want accurate data, it has to be collected and reported by a third party. Also, all any school is giving out right now is c/o 2009 data, which is completely irrelevant ITE.

With that said, I don't think there's anything wrong with WUSTL's prospects when you take ITE into account. Hiring is down everywhere, including the T14. I think the most reliable statistics are the ones reported by NALP. WUSTL came in 24th as far as % of class getting biglaw jobs for c/o 2009, so they're not really placing significantly below their ranking, especially if you take into account that their home market is not a biglaw metropolis, and they still do have a self-selecting local contingent that may not be as biglaw motivated. Basically, ~27% of their class got biglaw in 2009, and combined with Art. III clerkships, my guess is top 1/3 at WUSTL puts you in a pretty good position in a normal economy. c/o 2010 & 2011 is probably going to be lower than that, but 2012/2013 might return to a similar number. Just like any of their peers, I wouldn't count on a biglaw salary unless you get pretty close to that top 1/3 of the class. I wouldn't trust anyone or anything that says otherwise.

http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/law%20sc ... page12.pdf

I have little doubt that their CSO is doing a good job, though. The only data I can access that tells me anything remotely useful about c/o 2010 and beyond is on the NALP directory website. The number of firm offices they have coming to OCI (141) is higher than Illinois (112), Emory (117), and Notre Dame (124). The latter three do have smaller classes, though, so that could account for some of the difference. WUSTL is simply outdoing Minnesota (55) in this regard. And they are similar to BU (143) and BC (154) with a similar class size (when historically, BC and BU have out-placed WUSTL regarding biglaw). George Washington has 302, but their class size is much larger. And they're still well behind USC (241 with a smaller class).

http://www.nalpdirectory.com/

I don't know how accurate a metric this is. It only measures OCI, I don't know how complete and accurate the list of firms doing OCI is on the NALP directory, and it only measures total number of firms rather than quality. And it counts each office of a single firm if more than one office is interviewing. It doesn't take into account job fairs or other programs put on by the school, I am guessing. But it seems to correlate at least proportionally to the past percentages of students from each school achieving biglaw. I highly recommend people use this site. It tells you which firms interview at which schools, what their starting salaries are, and how many people each office expects to hire as 1L summers, 2L summers, and full-time associates (this data isn't broken down by school, though).

One thing I did notice is that Kirkland & Ellis and Skadden are absent from WUSTL's list now, which is to be expected ITE. I was surprised to learn that in years past, WUSTL was able to place it's top grads into these firms on a yearly basis. So it's not like they're not feeling any effects. But they seem to be doing a hair better than the competition has usually been doing when you consider the above information.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed May 19, 2010 1:44 am

Great post, JCoug. And fwiw, I've heard that Sullivan and Cromwell is coming to WUSTL for the first time this year. I wasn't aware that K&E was no longer doing OCI there, but I can't see that being the case permanently.

mbaino

Postby mbaino » Wed May 19, 2010 2:08 am

1) Meal plans work like debit cards. You have an account of points, you pick out what you want, swipe, and your account responds accordingly. You won't get one of the actual meal plans as a law student. Even as an undergrad, I only get the "off campus" plan since I don't live in full-blown university housing. najumobi was right: add $$ to the campus card account to avoid taxes and constant debiting, then you use your card anywhere on campus.

2) I got my Sonnenschien letter through snail mail (accepted). The letter did not have to travel very far to reach me.

3) When I was reading the posts about wustl females being manhunters, my roommate/classmate said, "Yes, we're always DTF."

4) One of my relatives is bringing pig's feet to my graduation party (yikes!). Another is bringing oxtails (actually delicious!).

5) Lost is ridiculous.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed May 19, 2010 2:21 am

1. Thanks for the info on the meal cards.
2. 'Grats on Sonnenschien!
3. Wah-Wah-Wee-Wah! I like-a sexy time!
4. WTF kinda crazy family do you have?
5. Breaking Bad is crazy
6. Goodnight TLS and my fellow WUSTLers

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed May 19, 2010 7:51 am

romothesavior wrote:Great post, JCoug. And fwiw, I've heard that Sullivan and Cromwell is coming to WUSTL for the first time this year. I wasn't aware that K&E was no longer doing OCI there, but I can't see that being the case permanently.

I'm not SURE about the Kirkland & Ellis thing...I just don't see that on the NALP directory website. I can't vouch for how thorough that list is. I do think it is pretty accurate, but you never know.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Wed May 19, 2010 9:45 am

najumobi wrote:

If you guys have specific questions about how the meal plans work, let me know. I went to wustl for undergrad and used it.

edit:

nvm mbaino answered it. With an awesome post, I might add.

DTF FTW!

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Wed May 19, 2010 10:14 am

Yo guys,

Check this out

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/1 ... 80316.html

That's amazing!

panadera

Postby panadera » Wed May 19, 2010 11:00 am

fl0w wrote:Yo guys,

Check this out

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/1 ... 80316.html

That's amazing!

Wow. That's pretty cool! I wonder how it will work out....

La Grind Date

Postby La Grind Date » Wed May 19, 2010 11:02 am

Great post, Jcoug! you're def on your job. i'm going to check out those links.

JCougar wrote:
I asked the CSO about that list, and it includes all employers that "recruited" WashU students "over the last couple of years," so it's definitely not a 2009 list. And their definition of "recruit" is pretty broad: it includes simply collecting resumes. That list has a lot of very prestigious firms, and when I read it, I was instantly suspicious. I do think this list is misleading, but WUSTL isn't the only school that puts out lists like this. It's standard law school practice, and no school is going to hurt themselves by being completely honest when the rest of the competition is twisting data to gain an advantage. If you want accurate data, it has to be collected and reported by a third party. Also, all any school is giving out right now is c/o 2009 data, which is completely irrelevant ITE.

With that said, I don't think there's anything wrong with WUSTL's prospects when you take ITE into account. Hiring is down everywhere, including the T14. I think the most reliable statistics are the ones reported by NALP. WUSTL came in 24th as far as % of class getting biglaw jobs for c/o 2009, so they're not really placing significantly below their ranking, especially if you take into account that their home market is not a biglaw metropolis, and they still do have a self-selecting local contingent that may not be as biglaw motivated. Basically, ~27% of their class got biglaw in 2009, and combined with Art. III clerkships, my guess is top 1/3 at WUSTL puts you in a pretty good position in a normal economy. c/o 2010 & 2011 is probably going to be lower than that, but 2012/2013 might return to a similar number. Just like any of their peers, I wouldn't count on a biglaw salary unless you get pretty close to that top 1/3 of the class. I wouldn't trust anyone or anything that says otherwise.

http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/law%20sc ... page12.pdf

I have little doubt that their CSO is doing a good job, though. The only data I can access that tells me anything remotely useful about c/o 2010 and beyond is on the NALP directory website. The number of firm offices they have coming to OCI (141) is higher than Illinois (112), Emory (117), and Notre Dame (124). The latter three do have smaller classes, though, so that could account for some of the difference. WUSTL is simply outdoing Minnesota (55) in this regard. And they are similar to BU (143) and BC (154) with a similar class size (when historically, BC and BU have out-placed WUSTL regarding biglaw). George Washington has 302, but their class size is much larger. And they're still well behind USC (241 with a smaller class).

http://www.nalpdirectory.com/

I don't know how accurate a metric this is. It only measures OCI, I don't know how complete and accurate the list of firms doing OCI is on the NALP directory, and it only measures total number of firms rather than quality. And it counts each office of a single firm if more than one office is interviewing. It doesn't take into account job fairs or other programs put on by the school, I am guessing. But it seems to correlate at least proportionally to the past percentages of students from each school achieving biglaw. I highly recommend people use this site. It tells you which firms interview at which schools, what their starting salaries are, and how many people each office expects to hire as 1L summers, 2L summers, and full-time associates (this data isn't broken down by school, though).

One thing I did notice is that Kirkland & Ellis and Skadden are absent from WUSTL's list now, which is to be expected ITE. I was surprised to learn that in years past, WUSTL was able to place it's top grads into these firms on a yearly basis. So it's not like they're not feeling any effects. But they seem to be doing a hair better than the competition has usually been doing when you consider the above information.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Wed May 19, 2010 12:22 pm

Wow guys, talk about a wrench getting thrown into the works. Check out my story.

So I'm starting to tell people at work that I'm heading to school, like I said in an earlier post. I'm a consultant of sorts. So the client that I'm doing work for knows too since I wont be able to be assigned to his project anymore after a couple of months.

The client calls me yesterday and offers me a 100k-120k job. :shock:
He stressed how impressed he is with the work that I do for him and congratulated me on the fact that I was planning on law school. He said he didn't doubt I could be successful in law based on his interactions w/ me, but reminded me that a lot of people go to law school thinking they'll have a nice salary and then they don't. Especially in my line of work. Some have gone to law school and then just come back to doing the same thing afterward.

So I know people would kill to have this kind of choice to make but...
38k/yr at wustl (about 5k short of full ride)
vs.
100k-120k job right now (would be 8am-6pm hours)

I was set on my path, and now this. :roll:

meddlingkid

Postby meddlingkid » Wed May 19, 2010 12:31 pm

fl0w wrote:Wow guys, talk about a wrench getting thrown into the works. Check out my story.

So I'm starting to tell people at work that I'm heading to school, like I said in an earlier post. I'm a consultant of sorts. So the client that I'm doing work for knows too since I wont be able to be assigned to his project anymore after a couple of months.

He stressed how impressed he is with the work that I do for him and congratulated me on the fact that I was planning on law school. He said he didn't doubt I could be successful in law based on his interactions w/ me, but reminded me that a lot of people go to law school thinking they'll have a nice salary and then they don't. Especially in my line of work. Some have gone to law school and then just come back to doing the same thing afterward.

vs.

Do you enjoy what you're doing now? Could you see yourself doing it for a long time? If I were in your position and I was offered work that I enjoyed AND paid well, I would take the job.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Wed May 19, 2010 12:39 pm

meddlingkid wrote:
fl0w wrote:Wow guys, talk about a wrench getting thrown into the works. Check out my story.

vs.

Do you enjoy what you're doing now? Could you see yourself doing it for a long time? If I were in your position and I was offered work that I enjoyed AND paid well, I would take the job.
+1 TTMAR if you like the client and enjoy the work. 5k tuition + 15k COL = about 360k (+ interest!) in the hole vs. taking the job.

Stephanie13

Postby Stephanie13 » Wed May 19, 2010 12:53 pm

stratocophic wrote:
meddlingkid wrote:

vs.

+1 TTMAR if you like the client and enjoy the work. 5k tuition + 15k COL = about 360k (+ interest!) in the hole vs. taking the job.

Not to mention, if you're young enough you can always take this job and then do law school later.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Wed May 19, 2010 1:44 pm

It's a really tough call. I'm killing myself.

The company is fine. Essentially i'd be managing the IT Audit function for this $1.5billion corporation. I'm very good at the work. But is it satisfying? I don't know. I'm 5 and 1/2 years into my career at this point, so I'm not as young as some of the posters here.

On One Hand:
So I could take the job and start earning the big bucks. The thing about working in industry is that advancement slows down dramatically. I would be managing the IT Audit function, but I'd be doing that for the rest of my career. Additionally, if I were ever to get a job somewhere else, I'd be stuck at that level as well. If I got my CPA or an MBA I could advance to Director of Audit at some company at a later time, but the whole reason I'm not applying to b-school NOW is because I don't see the value gained from an educational standpoint.

I also am very interested in the law. With a tech background I'd be doing IP/patent. I'm also interested in fraud litigation, but we'll see.

At 27, I think I'd rather go to law school sooner than later. And who knows if this much scholly would come my way again if I tried again 5yrs from now. And if I finish law school and, for some reason, hate the result... i actually can get back into this line of work and enter the market again around the pay rate i described.

I'm also the type of person that is constantly looking to grow and add to their skillset and I can see this job leaving me stagnant.

On The Other Hand:
I'd be making bank. The job would be easy. The hours would be a cake-walk.

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Wed May 19, 2010 1:51 pm

fl0w wrote:It's a really tough call. I'm killing myself.

The company is fine. Essentially i'd be managing the IT Audit function for this $1.5billion corporation. I'm very good at the work. But is it satisfying? I don't know. I'm 5 and 1/2 years into my career at this point, so I'm not as young as some of the posters here.

On One Hand:
So I could take the job and start earning the big bucks. The thing about working in industry is that advancement slows down dramatically. I would be managing the IT Audit function, but I'd be doing that for the rest of my career. Additionally, if I were ever to get a job somewhere else, I'd be stuck at that level as well. If I got my CPA or an MBA I could advance to Director of Audit at some company at a later time, but the whole reason I'm not applying to b-school NOW is because I don't see the value gained from an educational standpoint.

I also am very interested in the law. With a tech background I'd be doing IP/patent. I'm also interested in fraud litigation, but we'll see.

At 27, I think I'd rather go to law school sooner than later. And who knows if this much scholly would come my way again if I tried again 5yrs from now. And if I finish law school and, for some reason, hate the result... i actually can get back into this line of work and enter the market again around the pay rate i described.

I'm also the type of person that is constantly looking to grow and add to their skillset and I can see this job leaving me stagnant.

On The Other Hand:

Sounds like a tough decision. Like you said earlier, you have two great options. Don't worry too much about the numbers though. Just do what you want to do, and don't look back.

Stephanie13

Postby Stephanie13 » Wed May 19, 2010 1:52 pm

fl0w wrote:It's a really tough call. I'm killing myself.

On One Hand:

On The Other Hand:

It sounds like you've already made your decision. Go to law school and then if you end up hating it or not finding a job, then go back to your previous line of work. You'd certainly be making enough to pay off the accumulated law school debt.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”