WUSTL Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Sauer Grapes

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Postby Sauer Grapes » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:35 am

panadera wrote:
Yeah, I get where you're coming from. It's scary regardless of where it happened. That poor girl.

I think the link said it happened at 12:30am. Self-imposed curfew ftw. :|

I feel very sorry for her, no doubt. Also, I didn't realize it was 12:30. That's really not THAT late. Incredibly sad. I hope they catch the guy and his attorney sucks (which would mean not a WUSTL grad).

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:39 am

Sauer Grapes wrote:It really could have happened anywhere, in any city. "Early morning" probably means between midnight and 3 am. It's not "safe" for a young lady to be walking alone anywhere at that time. (probably not for a young man either).

Still, it is disturbing.

Exactly true. I believe it was at around 1am. People get too much comfort over "safe areas". Obviously I'm not blaming the victim, I'm just saying that we all need to be more aware of the world and not let ourselves fall into the "bubble".

sibley

Postby sibley » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:43 am

withdrew just now. sent a nice email which obviously asked for my deposit back but also thanked them for the scholarship and the kindness I experienced with the office. Told them that that it was a distance thing and that I regretted not being able to reconcile my various needs in favor of them, which is true. good luck to you all =)

carry mace, I guess. but all schools have incidents like that. When you have a couple thousand kids wandering around it happens.

panadera

Postby panadera » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:47 am

fl0w wrote:
Sauer Grapes wrote:It really could have happened anywhere, in any city. "Early morning" probably means between midnight and 3 am. It's not "safe" for a young lady to be walking alone anywhere at that time. (probably not for a young man either).

Still, it is disturbing.

Exactly true. I believe it was at around 1am. People get too much comfort over "safe areas". Obviously I'm not blaming the victim, I'm just saying that we all need to be more aware of the world and not let ourselves fall into the "bubble".

I'm super paranoid, particularly when the sun goes down. I'm always aware of movement near me/in my space, and I can pinpoint how many people are around me almost all the time. And my parents required me to take kickboxing and carry a bullhorn just in case. My 15 year old sister is the same way. I think I'm overly scared of stuff happening to me (particularly after reading this kind of stuff), but I'd rather be too prepared than ill-prepared.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:58 pm

panadera wrote:
fl0w wrote:

Still, it is disturbing.

I'm super paranoid, particularly when the sun goes down. I'm always aware of movement near me/in my space, and I can pinpoint how many people are around me almost all the time. And my parents required me to take kickboxing and carry a bullhorn just in case. My 15 year old sister is the same way. I think I'm overly scared of stuff happening to me (particularly after reading this kind of stuff), but I'd rather be too prepared than ill-prepared.

I am generally paranoid but that is really scary. In LA I have always paid the extra money for gated parking and safer areas. I think I'll have to have a "no walking alone at night, ever" policy in St Louis.

How awful for that poor girl. I hope WUSTL is committed to making sure she gets the support and help she is going to need.

ta06fsu

Postby ta06fsu » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:18 pm

That is truly terrible. I still wonder how can people rationalize the things they do to someone they do not know and I'm a Psych major. But I had a question. It seems that I am in the minority but are any of you guys going to WUSTL straight out of undergrad? While perusing the facebook group I noticed many 2-3 year alums.

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:22 pm

sibley wrote:withdrew just now. sent a nice email which obviously asked for my deposit back but also thanked them for the scholarship and the kindness I experienced with the office. Told them that that it was a distance thing and that I regretted not being able to reconcile my various needs in favor of them, which is true. good luck to you all =)

carry mace, I guess. but all schools have incidents like that. When you have a couple thousand kids wandering around it happens.
congrats on coming to a decision. now you can concentrate on everything gw and dc.

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:26 pm

panadera wrote:
fl0w wrote:

Still, it is disturbing.

i'm probably going to have to change how i do things. i've gotten very comfortable with walking home by myself late night since chapel hill is such a safe place.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:32 pm

Perhaps I have just gotten immune to these types of things due to the rough city that I attend undergrad in, but I agree that this could have happened anywhere. I really don't think a person should feel less safe in the Wash U area than they would in DC, NYC, Chicago, etc.

It is a terrible thing that happened to this girl, but there is no sense in everyone getting alarmed and worried about what happened. Just use caution when walking home! And all the girls in this group will have a bunch of big, strapping lads like me, najumobi, camstant, and fl0w to see you home safely. :D

Sibley: Did you decide on GW or are you still considering that Brooklyn offer?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:32 pm

ta06fsu wrote:That is truly terrible. I still wonder how can people rationalize the things they do to someone they do not know and I'm a Psych major. But I had a question. It seems that I am in the minority but are any of you guys going to WUSTL straight out of undergrad? While perusing the facebook group I noticed many 2-3 year alums.

I'm going straight out of undergrad.

ta06fsu

Postby ta06fsu » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:46 pm

romothesavior wrote:
ta06fsu wrote:That is truly terrible. I still wonder how can people rationalize the things they do to someone they do not know and I'm a Psych major. But I had a question. It seems that I am in the minority but are any of you guys going to WUSTL straight out of undergrad? While perusing the facebook group I noticed many 2-3 year alums.

Cool. Anyone else?

kdw94780

Postby kdw94780 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:51 pm

ta06fsu wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Cool. Anyone else?

Me2, final papers suck right now.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:53 pm

ta06fsu wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Cool. Anyone else?

There are a few others in that Facebook group. I know a few people personally who are going straight from ugrad, but I do agree that it seems the majority of people (at least that I know of) have had a few years off.

And +1 to these last few weeks sucking. I just stood up in the lab and cried, "I give up! I can't do it anymore!" and everyone looked at me like I was crazy. Last week I had to give my senior capstone presentation, tomorrow I have a judicial opinion due for my legal reasoning class, and my philosophy thesis is due Friday. And my tank is completely empty at this point... FML

kdw94780

Postby kdw94780 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:58 pm

romothesavior wrote:
ta06fsu wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Cool. Anyone else?

There are a few others in that Facebook group. I know a few people personally who are going straight from ugrad, but I do agree that it seems the majority of people (at least that I know of) have had a few years off.

And +1 to these last few weeks sucking. I just stood up in the lab and cried, "I give up! I can't do it anymore!" and everyone looked at me like I was crazy. Last week I had to give my senior capstone presentation, tomorrow I have a judicial opinion due for my legal reasoning class, and my philosophy thesis is due Friday. And my tank is completely empty at this point... FML

I need to have TLS blocked till after finals week. I check on this site more than facebook...quite a feat!

panadera

Postby panadera » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:08 pm

ta06fsu wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Cool. Anyone else?

Straight out of undergrad. Finished my degree courses last semester, taking random classes until law school.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:21 pm

romothesavior wrote:And all the girls in this group will have a bunch of big, strapping lads like me, najumobi, camstant, and fl0w to see you home safely. :D

...and if they let me in, I've been taking Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu for the last year and a half. :wink:

pudge

Postby pudge » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:16 pm

coming straight from undergrad as well. one more day of class and four finals to survive before i'm free.

regarding the article...as a super young'n (21st bday this coming dec) who's planning on living in that same area alone, i know i'm at least getting some high-grade pepper spray.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:51 pm

JCougar wrote:
romothesavior wrote:And all the girls in this group will have a bunch of big, strapping lads like me, najumobi, camstant, and fl0w to see you home safely. :D

...and if they let me in, I've been taking Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu for the last year and a half. :wink:

i've taken "whoop-yo-ass" style. it's basically the same thing :)

camstant

Postby camstant » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:30 am

fl0w wrote:
JCougar wrote:

i've taken "whoop-yo-ass" style. it's basically the same thing :)

I'll be packin' heat... in the lou

nyyankees

Postby nyyankees » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:08 am

first post in 3+ weeks: Decision made, im going to wustl, see you all in the fall

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:32 am

nyyankees wrote:first post in 3+ weeks: Decision made, im going to wustl, see you all in the fall
yeah i saw that you had joined the facebook group...congrats. what helped you to choose wustl over nd?

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:02 am

najumobi wrote:
nyyankees wrote:first post in 3+ weeks: Decision made, im going to wustl, see you all in the fall
yeah i saw that you had joined the facebook group...congrats. what helped you to choose wustl over nd?

i'm very interested in the answer to that question as well.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:59 pm

Nice, I was hoping you'd be down there too. Far too much fun was had at the ASD for you to choose otherwise.

panadera

Postby panadera » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:12 pm

Najumobi, I'm tempted to friend you on fb (because your real name isn't too hard to figure out ;)).

Glad you made a decision nyyankees; it's a good one imo!

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:13 pm

panadera wrote:Najumobi, I'm tempted to friend you on fb (because your real name isn't too hard to figure out ;)).

Glad you made a decision nyyankees; it's a good one imo!

Do it, and feel free to add me as well. I'm up for having some Wash U FB friends.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”